Item: Kings Rock

Lvl 55 Tyrantrum Quirky Nature

Strength

Earthquake

Crunch

Ancient Power

Ability: Strong Jaw

Item: Rocky Helmet

I plan on griding on Victory Road for EXP until I get them all around 70 or so.... hence why Laturn has the Lucky Egg and is in the front of my party.... I just recently got him and needed an electric to cover some of the Elite Four and the last gym (which for the last gym I ended up relying on Talonflame because my Charizard somehow kept dying....)

So anybody have any suggestions? I don't have access to Cut yet so if any TMs or things like that have to be gotten with Cut (or Waterfall) I won't be able to use....

Can I have some tips on chaining? everytime I think I know what I'm doing I mess up xd.png

I watched this video to show me how to do it "correctly":

I've only been able to chain up to 8 so far without it breaking, so I don't really have any good tips.

I am so unprepaired for the Elite Four xd.png

I plan on griding on Victory Road for EXP until I get them all around 70 or so.... hence why Laturn has the Lucky Egg and is in the front of my party.... I just recently got him and needed an electric to cover some of the Elite Four and the last gym (which for the last gym I ended up relying on Talonflame because my Charizard somehow kept dying....)

So anybody have any suggestions?  I don't have access to Cut yet so if any TMs or things like that have to be gotten with Cut (or Waterfall) I won't be able to use....

My Pokemon were only around level 60 when I beat the Elite Four. It's easier if you look up what type of Pokemon they have and choose the easiest and go from there (since you can choose what order you face them in).

My Team was Talonflame, Staraptor, GoGoat, Zoroark, Tyantrum and Yveltal. I mostly move spammed my Staraptor's Aerial Arc, Talonflame's Flamethrower/Steel Wing and Gogoat's Surf/Leafblade. I was actually expecting it to be hard, but I got through with relative ease. Remember, you can bring potions and such in to heal your Pokemon, so if you don't trust your team, bring a ton in and heal between battles.

Edited by MysticTiger

So anybody have any suggestions?  I don't have access to Cut yet so if any TMs or things like that have to be gotten with Cut (or Waterfall) I won't be able to use....

Odd.... You should have gotten HM 01 a long time ago. Like before the 2nd gym.

It's in the maze in Parfum Palace. Really hard to miss it if take the time to look around.

Edited by Lord X-Giga-X

My first Wonder Trade and I get a Mudkip 0.0 I should do this more often.

Then of course I get a Scatterbug. But it's Japanese, so that makes up for it a bit.

Edited by Ultra

Odd.... You should have gotten HM 01 a long time ago. Like before the 2nd gym.

It's in the maze in Parfum Palace. Really hard to miss it if take the time to look around.

Yep xd.png I missed it xd.png I thought I had gotten everything out of there.... but I guess not.

Thank you smile.gif

@MysticTiger:

Good to know. I'll try that out smile.gif

If you're that far behind grinding is good, but I actually find it best to blow all my money on a bunch of items and charge the E4 until I win. They give a lot more XP than Victory road, even if they are a bit chatty

Oh, and you should turn of battle animations (you can still do that in Gen VI, right?), it speeds up battles a ton

Traded an Arbok for a Japanese Ditto!

Would the Masuda method work if both Pokemon used are from different games? For example, I get Ditto from one game, and Vulpix from another, but I didn't catch either of them. Would it still work?

Traded an Arbok for a Japanese Ditto!

Would the Masuda method work if both Pokemon used are from different games? For example, I get Ditto from one game, and Vulpix from another, but I didn't catch either of them. Would it still work?

It works if they're different regions. Like if you trade for a Spanish or German 'mon and a Japanese Ditto it counts, or if you trade for an English 'mon and a French 'mon.

Oh, and you should turn of battle animations (you can still do that in Gen VI, right?), it speeds up battles a ton

Yeah, you can still do that in Gen 6. It's the very second choice on the options menu. Guess Nintendo thought a lot of people would want to turn the animations off. x3

Also: Added you, SmileyPerson! My FC is in my sig if you want to exchange friend safaris.

Edited by Athkore

Just in case nobody knew (or someone didn't know at least), Pokemon Amie is totally worth maxing out happiness.

My Lanturn is kicking butt now xd.png and he's super happy to nearly always avoid attacks and then read my mind to get critical hits. Plus you can pet the pokemon after it wins by rubbing the touch screen sometimes to get even more EXP biggrin.gif

I love it xd.png

@Master: I'm not super terribly far behind.... everyone's up to lvl 55+ now so... that actually didn't take long to grind at all. Most of it was just me getting Lanturn's happiness maxed xd.png my Talonflame is lvl 75 however and I never figured out how he jumped so high when everyone else is still mid to lower 60s or a 55 level. Talonflame actually was being "caught up to" before he skipped levels xd.png Silly bird.

I always beat the E4 with level 50 somethings, except in Kanto, I didn't understand strategy too well back then and ended up having my Pikachu be level 60 something

And oh good, I've seen some footage of battles in X/Y, and the animations look pretty long. So I definitely wanted that option

Eh, I never used the Amie. Too much time and effort for something that only works on in-game battles.

Meanwhile, in Adventures in Masuda's Method, I've gotten past 580, and still not found a shiny. I had to release 523 due to a lack of space, as well. Fun.

Eh, I never used the Amie. Too much time and effort for something that only works on in-game battles.

Meanwhile, in Adventures in Masuda's Method, I've gotten past 580, and still not found a shiny. I had to release 523 due to a lack of space, as well. Fun.

The only one I've used has been Eevee, so that I could evolve it into Sylveon. And of course, then it didn't even have a Fairy type offensive move I could use, so I had to level it until it DID get one.

I always beat the E4 with level 50 somethings, except in Kanto, I didn't understand strategy too well back then and ended up having my Pikachu be level 60 something

And oh good, I've seen some footage of battles in X/Y, and the animations look pretty long. So I definitely wanted that option

Mine have always been around lvl 50 for every game (including Kanto and Johoto regions) and I never had a problem.... This time around I'm kinda looking to one-up that pattern and actually come prepaired xd.png

I took a "test run" yesterday with how my team was after an 15mins of me maxing out Lanturn's happiness and then leveling it some (which was only half an hour really plus me being distracted by tv) and charged in to battle without saving it inside the building. If I didn't have to go to bed I would have had no trouble at all. Lanturn kicked butt most of the time too xd.png

So now I'm going back to leveling them all up a little more so I can just plow through everything and go shiny hunting without worry xd.png

Can I have some tips on chaining? everytime I think I know what I'm doing I mess up xd.png

I've managed to get 6 Pokémon from chaining now, so I could probably give you some tips.

The linked video is okay, but the guys narrating even admit that they've never PR'd a Shiny.

Right, okay. Tips.

1. Only use the D-Pad. Do not skate, and do not ride your bicycle while chaining.

2. Have only the Pokéradar selected for the Y button. If you have other items registered you might accidentally use them, which breaks your chain.

3. Try and chain in a patch of grass that is a minimum of 5x5 squares. The bigger the better. Route 5 has a good patch of Purple Flowers you could use, and Route 7 has a massive area of normal grass near the cave entrances. You could look for other places too, but I've had most of my success in those areas.

4. Buy Super Repels. Loads of 'em, you can't have enough. 100+ is my recommendation. They're better than Max Repels because they are a better economic investment (especially w/ Bargain Power). Also get a bunch of pokeballs, don't want that shiny escaping now!

5. When chaining, avoid the edge squares of a patch of grass. Because they're on the edge, if a shaking square generates to the side where the grass stops, you won't get any further shakes and your chain will break. It is possible to use the edges, but it's a risk, so I wouldn't do it.

6. Always go for single squares. If there're two adjacent shaking patches, avoid them, as they are likely to contain things that aren't the Pokémon you're chaining. Diagonally adjacent should be fine.

7. Go for the biggest shaking squares. If none of the squares shake fully (and you can identify this with sound, so keep the volume up!), just run in the grass until you've re-charged your Poké-Radar. Recharging will not break your chain, and you can do it as many times as you want until you get a patch that you're 100% on.

8. Keep a count on your chain. If you reach 40 without breaking, all you need to do is keep recharging your Radar until you get the Shiny patch. My babies have frequently popped up before 40 though, so as long as you're persistent you're likely to get something. (Furfrou was at Chain #3 for goodness sake! ^^)

9. If the music changes from the normal chaining to a much wilder, more tense version, don't panic. No one quite knows what the music change is about, but it won't break your chain. Just continue as normal. However, if the music reverts to the normal Route music, your chain has broken.

10. Don't have any Eggs, or use a pokémon that is about to evolve - both Hatching and Evolution will break the chain.

11. Shiny patches are easy to identify - there will be a shiny sound and there will be golden sparkles. Go into it at once, 'cause you're guaranteed your Shiny! I think you can only get one Shiny per chain, though, so once you have it you can save, and breathe a sigh of relief.

12. High chains can give you pokemon with high IVs, so Shinies aren't the only good thing from chains. (Eg, my Flabébé from a 13-long chain has one good IV, but my Doduo from a chain of 40 has 3 perfects!)

13. Have fun! You'll probably break chains frequently, but don't get down about it. ^^ It just takes a bit of practice.

Some people also recommend going into a patch that is 4 or more steps away as well, just in case. ^^ There're probably other things that are slipping my mind right now, but I hope this helps! ^^

@Athkore

I'll add you in soon (3DS needs to charge).

Edited by SmileyPerson

After a few connection tests, it seems it's the games problem. Does the GTS and Wonder Trade have any problems right now? It says it's unable to connect to the server.

I'm breeding Contrary Inkay. 'Cause, you know, Superpower.

Superpower+Contrary+Malamar=Win.

I just have to jump over some hurdles first.

Protip: Just because you breed two pokemon with the same ability DOES NOT mean that the offspring will have it (Suction Cups FTL)

I'm breeding Contrary Inkay. 'Cause, you know, Superpower.

Superpower+Contrary+Malamar=Win.

I just have to jump over some hurdles first.

Protip: Just because you breed two pokemon with the same ability DOES NOT mean that the offspring will have it (Suction Cups FTL)

Get a female with contrary.

Uhmm Whitefire....

The female DOES have contrary.

So does the guy.

(You don't even want to know what I've gone through to get both.)

Right, I knew that. rolleyes.gif Still new the the whole breeding thing

Have a weird question though, If I start my Y version on the same system as X, does that affect friend safaris? Will people be able to choose which version safari of mine that they go to?

Been trying to chain and failing miserably. I do everything right, but I still end up with broken chains. Highest i've gotten is five. I wish there was an easier way to get a Shiny. I want a bunch of Shiny Flying types. >_>

I just became a detective, too. Although it's in the city I hate.

Edited by MysticTiger

Have a weird question though, If I start my Y version on the same system as X, does that affect friend safaris? Will people be able to choose which version safari of mine that they go to?

One's Friend Safari is determined by their 3DS's Friend Code. Since in this case both games would be used by the same system, they would use the same Friend Code. Therefore, the Friend Safari would be the same for both of them.

Edited by Lord X-Giga-X

Has anyone had issues evolving Eevee into Espeon? A friend of mine is having issues getting hers to evolve.