TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

Thank you so much from us over in the East Coast. Our power is out but the fact I have internet is good and I'm hoping the power comes back soon. I really appreciate this especially since this is my first event here on dragon cave, I'm glad I won't have to miss the new event. Once again thank you so much smile.gif

Thanks for the change TJ, many people are going through literal hell, but still would like a chance at getting their eggs. This way hopefully they can all have a crack at it.

and for the rest of us, more AP hunting for the last years releases...bonus.

I'm good with the change. I think that it's nice that the day has been changed. While those dealing with this storm may not care about the pixels, they may care that TJ and staff cared about them enough to change the drop. I know that I'd feel please to know that others cared enough about my situation to be generous. So two thumbs up from me!

@ GreenDragonMama-

Oh my goodness! I hope you're joking....cuz I don't have a pray of getting all of them. tongue.gif

I think I read somewhere, there of 59 treats so far this year. I have 45 of them. I leave the game up while I'm reading the forums and check back every fifteen minutes or so for new treats.

Thanks for the heads up about this, TJ. Best wishes to those affected by Sandy.

Edited by DarkLadyNyara

Bother, I'm going to be busy all Saturday =/

Ah well, I'll still have a better chance on Saturday then Sandy victims would were it regularly scheduled.

I'm not touching any of the fair/not fair drama..... but I would like to hear a definitive "YES" or "NO" answer from TJ about the Zombies tomorrow.

This is my first year trying, and I used all five kill slots on adult dragons exactly two weeks ago tomorrow. I planned it so that I could revive on Halloween day, since the likelihood of success is supposed to be much higher on Halloween day only... I've seen it asked dozens of times but there has been no definitive answer, only speculation.

@ GreenDragonMama-

Oh my goodness! I hope you're joking....cuz I don't have a pray of getting all of them. tongue.gif

Nope, there are definitely 59 ToT items this year.

I think the delay for the storm-wracked people to have their chance at Halloween on DC, even if not the traditional Earth trick-or-treat celebration, is great.

It's too bad it wasn't possible for people to have been advised of this earlier, but it'll make life perhaps a little better for those undergoing this storm.

Best wishes to them all!

I'm not touching any of the fair/not fair drama..... but I would like to hear a definitive "YES" or "NO" answer from TJ about the Zombies tomorrow.

This is my first year trying, and I used all five kill slots on adult dragons exactly two weeks ago tomorrow. I planned it so that I could revive on Halloween day, since the likelihood of success is supposed to be much higher on Halloween day only... I've seen it asked dozens of times but there has been no definitive answer, only speculation.

I'm replying because I feel bad about not answering the question but my answer is that I don't know either. TJ has not answered that question in the thread.

I appreciate what TJ is doing. I Understand where both sides are coming from as tomorrow is better for me to catch the release then Saturday is. I was hit by Sandy. I am less than 5 miles from the city. I can see the Empire State Building from my bedroom window.

My boss was evacuated from his apartment in the city because they lost power in 1/3 of the city.

My sister was less than a mile away from the 100 homes that caught fire in Breezy Point.

My Father and boyfriend are running off generators right now as is most of long island.

I know people who have horses and run rescue for them that are without power and are making the best of it.

Let me tell you...if you are going through any of that..you will not care about missing an egg drop. I was lucky. Where my house is..we did not lose power..we didn't flood. This is no where near Katrina...but people will be picking up their lives and starting over for months..and the cold season is coming. dry.gif What is a pixel egg going to do for them? If it were me..yes, I'd be appreciative, of Tj, of those gifting the eggs..but in the long run..that would be the last thing on my mind...

You miss are one of the few people that understands all this, and that knows that the ones that lost theyr whole thing dont have 2012 Halloween eggs on theyr mind as they dont have time to think about it as other things are more important.

It is nice that more people will be able to catch them on 3.11. as more will have power, but those that only wish to get power back to catch them are acting just as much selfish than the ones that wish the relese wuld be on 31.10. couse you only care about yoursefl and dont think on the ones that lost everything, and those dont care at what date the relese will be as they dont think on it at all. And unles you did not get hit hard at any time of your life you cant understand that, the ones that dont have a home any longer dont care if the power is out or not or if they cant acces internet to go hunt for eggs.

I know I haven't been posting on the forum much in the last few months (lots of months--yeep!), but I do check in and read stuff fairly regularly. I just wanted to say that I send my best wishes out to everyone affected by Sandy, that I think TJ is doing a good thing by postponing the drop, smile.gif

-removed, that's not allowed to offer on the forum-

Edited by rubyshoes

You miss are one of the few people that understands all this, and that knows that the ones that lost theyr whole thing dont have 2012 Halloween eggs on theyr mind as they dont have time to think about it as other things are more important.

It is nice that more people will be able to catch them on 3.11. as more will have power, but those that only wish to get power back to catch them are acting just as much selfish than the ones that wish the relese wuld be on 31.10. couse you only care about yoursefl and dont think on the ones that lost everything, and those dont care at what date the relese will be as they dont think on it at all. And unles you did not get hit hard at any time of your life you cant understand that, the ones that dont have a home any longer dont care if the power is out or not or if they cant acces internet to go hunt for eggs.

Please stop calling people you have never met selfish. I don't know why people might want their power back--keeping food from spoiling and keeping their families warm comes to mind--but blaming and shaming random people who aren't even here to defend themselves isn't helping.

Please, if you have to rant, do it elsewhere.

Don not have to code half of the game, only the lines that tells the cave wich eggs will be droped, and if we thing about some ppl gathering to much eggs make a limit of let us say 10 and all will be happy.

Well there would have to be extra coding for the second drop, that coding would have to include coding so people who have already gotten eggs could not get them another time.

Coding isn't just a word or two, coding for a second drop just might be three or four pages long or even longer and you can't just code something in a few minutes. You have to be able to code it, check it out for mistakes, make sure it'll work. Trying to find some mistakes, takes hours or even days. It's like trying to balance your check book against your bank statement. One penny may mean the difference between having money in your account and bouncing a check.

Remember this game works on all sorts of computers and the coding has to reflect that, plus it has to detect different browsers. The game also had to detect different versions of windows and other operating systems.

So coding two drops could take months.

So we should all be happy that TJ has said he's not going to cancel the drop.

Due to the widespread power outages caused by Hurricane Sandy, the new Halloween Dragon planned to drop tomorrow will be delayed until Saturday, November 3 (from 0:00 to 23:59). If necessary, the event will be further delayed to ensure that everyone can participate.

All other Halloween events will proceed as planned and will end tomorrow night at 23:59.

maybe he isn't answering the zombie question because he did in the very first post under: all other Halloween events will proceed as planned?

Edited by spring_dragon

*Sigh* I only have 38 treats sad.gif Something tells me I won't get all of them this year... but I want to try!

How many treats are there this year, total?

You guys, there's middle ground here. Of course, someone who is homeless or has had a loved one die will probably not be brought any cheer by a pixellated dragon egg. But a kid whose Halloween was ruined because he or she can't go out trick or treating very well might. Not every hardship is a devastating tragedy. It's also good to be kind to people who are merely without power and deprived of a holiday they were looking forward to.

I think it's only like 7-10 minutes-ish. I was trying to refresh around 7 minutes and that worked the majority of the time. So you can probably look back a little more often.

I get caught up in the forums and forget to check back for the treats lol. Thanks, I'll set my timer, that'll work.

I just called home smile.gif an we have our power back...I am happy and so over joyed an could careless about waiting till the third. I think it is amazing for TJ to be so thoughtful towards the community. Hoping my power at home stays on smile.gif I need to go food shopping soon O_O

Hallar and me are sending our best wishes from Germany to all affected by Sandy (He lived in Boston for quite some time).

Delaying the drop really is a very thoughtful gesture by TJ and we wish all of You good luck in hunting *g*

Well there would have to be extra coding for the second drop, that coding would have to include coding so people who have already gotten eggs could not get them another time.

Coding isn't just a word or two, coding for a second drop just might be three or four pages long or even longer and you can't just code something in a few minutes. You have to be able to code it, check it out for mistakes, make sure it'll work. Trying to find some mistakes, takes hours or even days. It's like trying to balance your check book against your bank statement. One penny may mean the difference between having money in your account and bouncing a check.

Remember this game works on all sorts of computers and the coding has to reflect that, plus it has to detect different browsers. The game also had to detect different versions of windows and other operating systems.

I did not say it is so easy, but if it wuld be so hard as you say it than the postponed date wuld not be so easy to make, and for the second dropp date you wuld use same lines as you are telling the game to drop same thing, only on another date, i know a bit about codeing, and i`m sure that TJ will only replace the lines that tell the game what eggs are droped with the lines to drop 2012 Halloween eggs, and this can be done at any time he wishes to do so, and adding limit to new dragons shuld not be so hard as all the new releses have theyr own code that tells the game everithing needed for the breed, and insted of unlimited amount pers scrole you replace it with the line that says only X amount of dragons.

Closing this topic for a bit, while I deal with rudeness and other problems.

Reopening topic:

Please remember personal attacks will not be tolerated. Feel free to use the report tool as needed.

Board rules apply http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=boardrules

Quoting an earlier post by Z.

If I continue to see rudeness and personal attacks the topic will be closed.

@Jazeki:

FIFTY-NINE!?

....holy censorkip.gif. Thanks! Wow, I have no idea how I'm gonna get all of those in time. *sigh* I wish the turnover rate were faster.

To add to this, coding (and I only know one, very simple language) can take up to ten hours just to perfect a simple script, so please don't assume that it will only take one line of coding to create two or more drops. Moreover, TJ is coding for the entire game with a user base of at least 80 000 players, so nobody wants him to screw up or else everyone might lose their dragons - with a player base that large there's basically no second chances if you do one thing wrong.

Edited by DarkEternity