TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

While I think that having a drop on Nov 3 is a great gesture for those affected by Sandy, MOVING the event, especially at such a short notice, is inconsiderate. As many others have said, there are so many people that worked to get their schedules set to be able to participate tomorrow. Now it's like telling people the night before prom that it's is now 3 days later. Not. Cool. And it's probably a bit too late for people who will no longer be able to catch to try to sign up on one of the gifting threads.

For other events where people had trouble catching, the precedent was set to ADD days to the drop, not move them. I'm with the others, please do two drops, one on each day.

You might also want to consider allowing zombies on Nov 3 as well, since people who can't catch can't try for zombies, either.

Edited by Moranna

There's not enough traffic to this site to make extra revenue people. We don't get paid, and we don't require you to pay either. Please be thankful that the site is even running as our servers could go out because Sandy could cut the power where the servers are.

For other events where people had trouble catching, the precedent was set to ADD days to the drop, not move them.  I'm with the others, please do two drops, one on each day.

That precedent, unfortunately, is set for those events where users are limited in what they can own of a breed. Halloween releases are unlimited, so would it be more fair if those of us with gold trophies who are unaffected got to lock down tomorrow, incubate and speed-hatch, then go for a second round on Saturday and then do the trade runaround to wind up with somewhere around 30 CBs?

I mean, you can't just assume that no one would take advantage of that...

Edited by Lythiaren

But Rayden, the thing is that the convenience angle ("Oh, but I have less free time this day than that day") goes equally in both directions. Just as many people have said "Hurray, the 3rd is much better for me" as have said "Oh no, I am busy all day on the 3rd!" It's more convenient for some people, and less convenient for others.

On the other hand, MANY more people are affected by a natural disaster tomorrow than are going to be affected by one on the weekend. Plus the traffic patterns may make it a much better event day for DC itself.

When you look at it logically, there's no way to think that tomorrow would be a better day for the majority of people. It's hard to believe that the majority of people in the world work on Saturdays but not Wednesdays. I don't know of any country where that's the usual case-- do you?

To me the "majority" is less important than the fact that the natural disaster is outside anyone's control whereas the decision to move the date is.

Worse, there's a good chance that moving the date won't help anyway. On one hand, you can keep moving the date, but you risk inconveniencing more and more people. On the other, if you don't move it again, then the people who can't make Sat. are inconvenienced for nothing.

As for more people: I don't know if Saturdays are a better day for 'net traffic than Wednesday. I do know that people took off work for Wednesday. I do know that people have things to do on Weekends that isn't work.

I do think Sat. would have been a better day, if it had been planned that way originally. It wasn't though.

Edited by rayden54

Thanks for the update, but darn, I wish I'd seen this earlier. I just abandoned all the Halloween eggs I have. T_T

would it be more fair if those of us with gold trophies who are unaffected got to lock down tomorrow, incubate and speed-hatch, then go for a second round on Saturday?

I don't think that would matter, actually. At that point people who could only be online one of the two days would be competing with you on either day, which they'd also be doing if there was only one drop. So it wouldn't really affect them.

Personally, I think one drop is perfectly fair regardless of whether it's on the weekend or a weekday, and I think it's a nice gesture to postpone it to allow more hurricane victims a chance to participate. But I'd have no objections to a second drop day, either. People would still have the same chance to catch an egg regardless of whether you get twice as many or not. :-)

I don't think that would matter, actually. At that point people who could only be online one of the two days would be competing with you on either day, which they'd also be doing if there was only one drop. So it wouldn't really affect them.

Personally, I think one drop is perfectly fair regardless of whether it's on the weekend or a weekday, and I think it's a nice gesture to postpone it to allow more hurricane victims a chance to participate. But I'd have no objections to a second drop day, either. People would still have the same chance to catch an egg regardless of whether you get twice as many or not. :-)

Yes but TJ has expressed concern that people would potentially get way too many of the new releases.

Wherein "too many" is a thing that only he can judge, of course.

Edited by Lythiaren

Wow, TJ, while not in an affected area, I think this is a really awesome gesture!

As others have said, my prayers are with those who are dealing with this tragedy. As I believe it was Sir Barton said, it must be nice for them to know that despite the problems that face them as their lives are turned upside down, there is something that can offer some degree of normalcy.

Thank you TJ for your hard work on the site for all of us, and thank you for doing this for those affected by this frankenstorm.

Yes but TJ has expressed concern that people would potentially get way too many of the new releases.

Wherein "too many" is a thing that only he can judge, of course.

Then put a limit on them.

Not sure if it should include trades or not though.

If too many Halloweens would be a problem from a game design perspective, then that's totally TJ's call to make. I'm just pointing out that it isn't especially "unfair" from an inconvenienced gamer's perspective, since they'd have the same chance to catch eggs that they would have anyway. :-)

ETA: And sorry, but a big thumbs down to the idea of limiting them. Halloween are the only holiday release that isn't limited, and I know I'm not the only one who likes them that way. :-)

Edited by tjekan

Please be thankful that the site is even running as our servers could go out because Sandy could cut the power where the servers are.

Yes. Excellent point.

Everyone should be happy that they can still tend to their eggs and continue to catch and the like. It would be much better to look at the positives and try to make the best of the change instead of getting all worked up.

If the site crashed because of the storm you wouldn't have the drop regardless, which could have very easily have happened. Please folks, be happy for what you have. It all works out in the end anyway.

Then put a limit on them.

Not sure if it should include trades or not though.

Putting a limit disrupts normal interactions surrounding halloween dragons, unfortunately. But he made his call, so...

Honestly the thing with CB halloweens is that, other than the hilarious barrel of monkeys that was the vampire release, all releases have been 24 hours and only 24 hours. The only question is which specific 24 hours.

Edited by Lythiaren

Putting a limit disrupts normal interactions surrounding halloween dragons, unfortunately. But he made his call, so...

The limit could very well be by day.

This is awesomely considerate of you, TJ. Thanks for the heads-up, and I hope everyone makes it safely out the other side of Sandy.

No one's saying it has to be a permanent limit. It could be a temporary one, only spanning until after the 3rd, so the people who arranged IOUs to get Halloween hatchies could still get theirs after the limit timeframe has expired.

That requires extra coding, though, on top of other things he's most likely concerned with, like backing up data in case the storm damage affects the site.

But like I said, he's already made his call and I myself think it's a good one regardless. I'm working two shifts during the new release date myself, not complaining.

Edited by Lythiaren

TYSM TJ. My power did go out. They said for 7-10 days or a couple of weeks my power will be out. I am staying at my mother in laws for the night, thankfully they still have power. I am not sure if I will be here on Saturday, but I am on the list for the "Frakenstorm Victims" so I know I will be helped if necessary. I live in Mastic Beach, NY to verify that they have been shutting off the power here deliberately. I was lucky for awhile until 4am last night they shut off our power...now it's like waiting a century for the electric to be turned back on. They are fixing the danger zones first before they fix the regular power outages so it will be awhile. Ty so much TJ you are the best smile.gif

The new release day is on my birthday. I actually do not mind this at all :3 all my CB Halloweens will have my birthday as the stolen date!

For those of you who cannot make it on Nov. 3rd because of whatever reason, I made a thread specifically this purpose-list yourself on the thread, and I would also like it if someone other than me applies to be a gifter/moderator. It's going to be hard to gift everything to everyone and moderating everything while only being one person.

I've been following the thread in a sort of ninja.gif fashion....

Though I'm safe over in Seattle, my thoughts and prayers(though I'm not very religious) go to those dealing with Sandy, and my best wishes for their saftey and hopefully quick recovery.

I also wanted to just say to TJ how kind and thoughtful what your doing is. It really says a lot about somone who treats the users of their game and overall community as people and takes them into account when making descisons.

Sorry bit bad with wording,.... As somone who has played many games over the years (large and small communitys) and seen their downfall as they moved to favor greed over players it really is wonderful and truley rare to be able to have such a great person running this game.

I'm very happy to be able to be a part of the DC community.

(again apologies for weird wording, minds sorta blanking...) sad.gif

~Erithan

Shout out to everyone who was kind enough to message me when they saw I abandoned all my eggs! Thank you for the kind gesture! <3

I have rather good connection, so I will be able to catch some more from the AP. In fact, if anyone else did the same as I did (abandoning eggs in preparation for the release), I will be happy to help you catch some! Just let me know! happy.gif

Dang it. I wish I had come here first, before I dropped my CB Red! I wanted to keep it but knew it wouldn't hatch in time for the release, so I'd have six Halloweens and one Red. So I abandoned it - gah! I could have held onto it. Dang it dang it dang it.

But otherwise, meh. I have nothing against a few-day delay. Let the celebration continue.