TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

Since those who don't frequent the forum wouldn't know that the Halloween egg drop won't be happening at midnight EST tonight, I think putting a notice on the main site would be helpful. This will help eliminate all the WHY THERE ARE NO HALLOWEEN EGG DROPS questions in the forum later.

Oh, thanks for the update!

Seems like a good idea to me, shift the drop date so everyone still gets the same chance including those without power.

Plus this works out great for me 'cause now I have time for all my eggs to hatch and leave plenty of slots open on the drop day!

Wishing safety to all those in the Northeast!

Thanks for the update. I just hope I'm around on Saturday to get the new Halloween dragons

Since everything except the drop is going on as usual, I take it that zombie attempts are still on, but has anyone verified that? Just curious. My adults won't wait so I don't have a choice with them, but the hatchies will wait around if that date changed for some reason.

Seconded.

The idea that Halloween has been 'postponed' because it would mean a drop in revenue for TJ is an interesting thought though... I hadn't thought of that.

I don't think TJ makes much money on this game.

Those ads don't pay much believe me. If he breaks even at the end of the month,

I'll be surprised. These ads may pay him $0.05 on a dollar spent, but a lot of times

he has to pay first to get the ads put on the site.

So I don't think TJ's changing the drop date has to do with his making money. More

than likely he'll lose money.

I live in the UK here, so obviously I'm not personally affected by the hurricane at all. But I'm really disappointed in some of the userbase here screaming about what an 'injustice' it is.

People's lives, their homes and their livelihoods. These things are far more important than collectable pixilated dragons. Pixilated dragons aren't real, you guys. People are.

Let's try to remember that, shall we?

I live in Europe too so i`m not affected by Sandy, and i dont care if the new eggs drop on 31.10 or 1.12 or not at all as those are only pixlated dragons and are not real, and i agree that peoples lives are at stake and theyr homes, but will setting the relese date back for couple of days realy help them out, well i think it will not. We had some bad weather a lot of years ago, the winds were so intense that they blew the roof of our house, evo tho the houses in Europe are in general much harder to be destroyed than the ones in USA, but at the time that we had trouble and i was still a kid i did not think about anything other than the safety of my family untill all was fixed, altho we had power i did not watch tv for more than a week and helped my father the best i culd.

Now i dont ask you, but i kind of tell you that if you still think about such an unimportant thing than new relese egg for halloween even tho your home is in danger or your family lifes than you are insane, Well the ones that only lost power most likely think and hope that TJ will postpone the date of the relese, but i guarante you that the ones that lost everything, or are still strugeling to save some things dont care about some pixlated dragon or what is going on on DC. They will not take five minits off to go hunt for dragons if they need to save stuff but will put all of theyr energy to doing the best to save theyr stuff, loved ones, even help theyr comunity. And the ones that lost everything and must now live in makeshift homes dont think about DC or the new eggs, but think how fast will they be able to get back on theyr feet, and it will be the same on 3.11. And for all of those that say they are only without power and dont know when it will be back on stop beeing such litle kids about it and deal with it, lots of people go daily without power couse of weather or something other, if it is only lose of power that troubles you than you are lucky compared to others that lost it all, it is not such a big deal if you cant acces your computer in your perfectly intact room, you can still do other things, i bet that milions out there that are homeless and live in a makeshift houses with some power wuld gladly swap with you and wuld not even care if they wuld be without power as long as theyr house wuld be perfectly fine.

I FEEL BAD for all that lost something due to Sandy, but all of you that only lost POWER make me sick, couse your only concern is that you wont be able to be on internet.

Edited by Mommy_Kitty

One nice thing about the change is that on Friday, I can stay up as late as it takes to get my quota of new eggs, no work on Saturday. I do have to work tomorrow, so would not have been able to stay up too late had the new release happened tonight.

Of course my thoughts and prayers are with those who have been impacted by Sandy.

*Sigh* I only have 38 treats sad.gif Something tells me I won't get all of them this year... but I want to try!

-please don't ask for others to do things that would require them to log on to your account-

Edited by rubyshoes

Since those who don't frequent the forum wouldn't know that the Halloween egg drop won't be happening at midnight EST tonight, I think putting a notice on the main site would be helpful. This will help eliminate all the WHY THERE ARE NO HALLOWEEN EGG DROPS questions in the forum later.

That and for those that normally wouldn't stay up until midnight cave time might be a little miffed that they lost sleep for nothing (including me because my head is pounding and I was dreading the staying up). Goodnight all! smile.gif

While I think that having a drop on Nov 3 is a great gesture for those affected by Sandy, MOVING the event, especially at such a short notice, is inconsiderate. As many others have said, there are so many people that worked to get their schedules set to be able to participate tomorrow. Now it's like telling people the night before prom that it's is now 3 days later. Not. Cool. And it's probably a bit too late for people who will no longer be able to catch to try to sign up on one of the gifting threads.

For other events where people had trouble catching, the precedent was set to ADD days to the drop, not move them. I'm with the others, please do two drops, one on each day.

You might also want to consider allowing zombies on Nov 3 as well, since people who can't catch can't try for zombies, either.

For those wanting the drop on two different days, do you realize how long it would take to recode half of the game to do this.

If you knew how to code a game, then you wouldn't be asking for two drops.

*Sigh* I only have 38 treats sad.gif Something tells me I won't get all of them this year... but I want to try!

-please don't ask for others to do things that would require them to log on to your account-

I think I read somewhere, there of 59 treats so far this year. I have 45 of them. I leave the game up while I'm reading the forums and check back every fifteen minutes or so for new treats.

From a 9PM EST news post: here

Consolidated Edison, the power company, said it would be four days before the last of the 337,000 customers in Manhattan and Brooklyn who lost power have electricity again.

For the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and Westchester County, with 442,000 outages, it could take a week, Con Ed said. Floodwater led to explosions that disabled a power substation on Monday night, contributing to the outages.

It might be a few days before parts of NY gets some of its power back.

Edited by xeyla

i just realised that by the time that the 2012 comes i will be a bronze and now will have enogh room after my debt and holding one and my pair i might be able to help out with gifting smile.gif

I appreciate what TJ is doing. I Understand where both sides are coming from as tomorrow is better for me to catch the release then Saturday is. I was hit by Sandy. I am less than 5 miles from the city. I can see the Empire State Building from my bedroom window.

My boss was evacuated from his apartment in the city because they lost power in 1/3 of the city.

My sister was less than a mile away from the 100 homes that caught fire in Breezy Point.

My Father and boyfriend are running off generators right now as is most of long island.

I know people who have horses and run rescue for them that are without power and are making the best of it.

Let me tell you...if you are going through any of that..you will not care about missing an egg drop. I was lucky. Where my house is..we did not lose power..we didn't flood. This is no where near Katrina...but people will be picking up their lives and starting over for months..and the cold season is coming. dry.gif What is a pixel egg going to do for them? If it were me..yes, I'd be appreciative, of Tj, of those gifting the eggs..but in the long run..that would be the last thing on my mind...

I think it is great that the delay is happening. I wouldn't want anyone to miss the Halloween Drop because they were weathering out this "Franken-Storm" in a shelter. I hope everyone stays safe, and we'll all get a chance to get the new dragon together. I think Saturday is better for most people because no school and often no work.

I have a nephew's birthday party Saturday afternoon, but I'll try and get my eggs in the wee hours of the morning, Friday night. It allows me to catch a few more older Halloween Dragon eggs. And since breeding ends on the 1st, that gives them two days to hatch before the new dragons are here.

For those wanting the drop on two different days, do you realize how long it would take to recode half of the game to do this.

Don not have to code half of the game, only the lines that tells the cave wich eggs will be droped, and if we thing about some ppl gathering to much eggs make a limit of let us say 10 and all will be happy.

Well, as someone who web-develops for a living: It's very hard to gauge how difficult this would be without looking at the site code itself, but if it's done anywhere near the way I'd assume it's done (i.e. anywhere near any of my quasi-educated guesses), it... wouldn't be difficult. That's not saying much of anything, since the chance is it could still be convoluted and difficult to untangle, but I guess I doubt it.

It doesn't matter, though, since the suggestion's been axed. smile.gif

I think I read somewhere, there of 59 treats so far this year. I have 45 of them. I leave the game up while I'm reading the forums and check back every fifteen minutes or so for new treats.

I think it's only like 7-10 minutes-ish. I was trying to refresh around 7 minutes and that worked the majority of the time. So you can probably look back a little more often.

Has TJ responded at all yet?

He has responded throughout the thread but you'd have to look through or use search to find his posts.