hazeh

{OOC} Howl to Me III: Blood & Crystals

Here's my third wolf, a cute and bouncy little pup!

Username: Narvix

Name: Lycaonia [Lya for short]

Power: Interference

Abilities:

Watch That Feedback - Perhaps the most effect of her abilities. Lya is able to create a dampening field of up to seven feet that completely cancels a wolf’s abilities at best. Otherwise, it makes abilities faulty and untrustworthy for use. Obviously, this means she can’t make use of her other abilities as well. In turn, this ability gradually cancels itself out and does not last for more than an hour.

How this is done can seem a little tricky but it’s simpler than it appears. Emitting a note at a specific level, Lya generates a resonating sound. The note created sends off a number of waves to intercept any wolves within range. Specifically, it intercepts the magical energies that they give off, interfering with the natural patterns that allow these abilities to be used effectively.

Amp It Up! - On the opposite end of Lya’s power, she can actually amplify another’s abilities to a small extent. Using a higher note, she can generate an excited level of energy that complements that of another wolf’s. This takes some practice as she has to learn the specific wavelengths of individual wolves and can’t last for much longer than twenty to thirty minutes. Similarly, this is restricted to her effective range.

Appearance: Lycaonia is a bit small for her age but certainly not without the chubbiness that is associated with growing pups. Covered in soft, multi-colored fur, Lya has blue eyes and short proportions.

Personality: She’s the bubbly, energetic sort. Lycaonia likes to play above all else and can often be seen goofing around with other pups or older members of the pack. She doesn’t understand a lot of the adult concerns and, as such, comes off as ignorant or naive to many. But, what did you expect from a pup?

Since she likes to play more often than not, she often doesn’t know when the situation calls for her to take things seriously. She’ll pester others, even if they are busy, until someone snaps at her. In which case, she’ll go sulk in a corner for a few moments before getting distracted by something else.

She’s a happy-go-lucky thing that prefers to see the good in fellow wolves. However, many can find her a little sensitive to tone of voice. Lya cannot handle stress or ridicule too well, most often ending up very distressed and whimpering as she curls up into a tiny ball. Additionally, when faced with something threatening or terrifying (like the dark!), she’s more likely to run and hide behind the closest thing possible.

History: Lya was born to warrior and hunter Gammas, her mother being the former while her father is the later. However, she has a second mother who is a Delta. All three of her parents are committed mates and have done their best to equally raise her and her sibling. Despite seeing most pups as only having a father and a mother, she doesn’t see anything wrong with her trio of parents and has grown up healthy, happy, and well loved. She aspires to be a hunter just like her father once she’s old enough to begin training.

Mate Preference: N/A

Alliance: Hallowed

Position: Gamma - Will become a hunter.

I'm starting to think people are having too much fun making up these powers and abilities. xd.png

Anyway, I'm planning to give Torque an accomplice in his career as an independent spy.

I'll either make one, or someone else will.

Anyone interested?

I'm starting to think people are having too much fun making up these powers and abilities. xd.png

Anyway, I'm planning to give Torque an accomplice in his career as an independent spy.

I'll either make one, or someone else will.

Anyone interested?

Totally unrelated

Umbria and Torque should become enemies

Especially with what I have planned for her

Awesome Narvix! I love it. Post as her whenever you're ready~

Haha Brotato that's one of the reasons I loved this rp way back when. The possibilities with powers is exciting c:

I've got a character idea based around the power of self body manipulation. Can't really elaborate yet as I am typing from the phone but I'm pretty much decided on two of his abilities.

Edited:

1. Temporary size growth - The ability to temporarily increase his size and mass to the proportions of a large bull, granting him a boot in his physical abilities, i.e. his bites are stronger due to the increase in muscles as well as the larger canines, he is faster due to having a longer stride. Essentially this is just a basic boost to his natural abilities enhancing every aspect of his body. The drawback to this ability is that he becomes a larger target for the opponent making him more vulnerable to an attack. He is also left extremely hungry after the transformation ends.

2. Tail Elongation - The ability to increase the length and girth of his tail in any size form and use it as a large physical weapon. Whilst possessing no penetrative power it is capable of dealing large physical impacts by slamming into the target. The Drawback to this ability's that his tail becomes more susceptible to attacks, its longer size giving the opponent more to bite on.

Then undecided on 3rd ability. But I'm prettymuch gonna decide between the ability to self heal faster then he would normally.y by manipulation of cells etc (not much of a scientific guy) or by hardening his skin to act like armor

3. Regeneration - A passive ability that only activates when he is in a state of rest, therefore this ability plays no role while he is active or when his heartbeat is at an increased rate. Would it need a drawback? ;x

or

3. Skin Hardening - The ability to harden the cells in his skin to the point that they are hard. This provides him with an increase to his defensive capablities as it acts as a natural armor that can withstand large physical impacts. The drawback to this ability is that his muscles feel stiff after use granting him less agility and mobility.

Once I get hold of a pc I'd go into more detail as well as the drawbacks.

----

Edited. Reached a PC.

Edited by TotallyDrow

Personally I don't think "being an easier target" is a valid drawback, at least not compared to the given advantages. It seems simply like a side-effect of the size change and not something with an actual disadvantage. And I think wolves will find it hard to chomp down on his tail when it's sized up and flailing around.

I don't usually toss my pennies in, but here,'s my 0.02$.

1. Seems overpowered to me, because consider this.

1. Temporary size growth - The ability to temporarily increase his size and mass to the proportions of a large bull...

After some basic googleing I found these figures:

The average adult bull weighs roughly 2200pounds, or 1000kilograms.

The average adult grey wolf (the largest canid) gets to be about 110lbs or 50kg.

If we measure the difference in mass by it's weight (even though they are not the same, but we typically use weight as a means to calculate an object's mass), then you're proposing that with this ability, your character will be 2200/110=20 Twenty times as buff as he usually would be. If that is also the strength and speed scaling, then that's a problem. I would consider even a double increase in physical ability overkill.

But let's say you didn't mean he would have the weight of a bull, but rather just the dimensions.

The height, width and length. So let's use that instead. Height in particular as it seems most relevant.

The largest naturally occurring canids are about 75cm tall at shoulder level.

The typical bull, roughly 1.5m or 150cm.

This means we're talking about an increase of 100% in height and stature.

So if you use 1:2 for speed scaling, your wolf will be able to run at roughly 115KMPH.

He would weigh roughly 100 kilograms.

He would have the bite strength of 3,000 pounds of pressure per square inch (enough to instantly crush any bone. Let me reiterate that, one bite from that wolf will be logically enough to cause a fatal injury.)

Also I dare say it needs mentioning that as his stature grows so would the thickness of his bones and the thickness of his fur, which would also make him twice as hard to injure, let alone kill.

But you already knew that. You did write:

Essentially this is just a basic boost to his natural abilities enhancing every aspect of his body.

The drawbacks:

1.The drawback to this ability is that he becomes a larger target for the opponent making him more vulnerable to an attack. He is also left extremely hungry after the transformation ends.

Drawback one is questionable at best due to the fact that you mentioned:

...he is faster due to having a longer stride...

Yes, he would be a larger target, but he would also be a faster moving large target. Granted he will be easier to hit while stationary, but while moving, especially if you're planning on using the 1:2 power scaling as that would allow him to run at over 115KMPH.

He is also left extremely hungry after the transformation ends.

He'll get hungry, sure. But after your wolf has finished steamrolling whatever stands in his way, or hightails it out of there at the speed of your average car on the highway, a gurgling stomach seems like an insignificant penalty. And even if we assume it's some sort of crippling hunger that practically knocks him out, the part that drew my attention is what I pointed out above. You never placed a specific time restraint on the use of this ability, so from what I can tell, he can easily just go and mow down several animals before transforming back and he'd be fine... That's a problem in an already arbitrary drawback.

I strongly advise you to rethink this ability, or better yet, scrap it. You're playing with way too many variables.

=========================================================

2. Tail Elongation - The ability to increase the length and girth of his tail to* any size form(?) and use it as a large physical weapon. Whilst possessing no penetrative power it is capable of dealing large physical impacts by slamming into the target. The Drawback to this ability's that his tail becomes more susceptible to attacks, its longer size giving the opponent more to bite on.

I don't even need to comment. Just look at the word I bolded for you.

Also I don't understand what size form is, but I certainly hope you're not implying he can reshape the tail as well as change its dimensions to any dimension at all. I'll assume it was a typo or something.

THE DRAWBACKS!

Let me tell you something, if I ever send my characters to attack another wolf, the last place I'd want them to attack is the fur-covered appendage that serves little to no purpose to begin with. The face? Good. The stomach? Good. The throat? Very good. The tail? Not so much. In addition to which, if the fur upon the tail scales with its size, that would provide more than enough protection to make biting it next to pointless.

My advice: Put a size limit and a better drawback. Like how it'd make him easily lose balance for example. He'd be swinging something disproportionately huge to his body size that's attached to his rear, that can't be easy.

=========================================================

3. Regeneration - A passive ability that only activates when he is in a state of rest, therefore this ability plays no role while he is active or when his heartbeat is at an increased rate. Would it need a drawback? ;x

I don't know. You have provided no information about what Regeneration actually does. I can assume it heals him over time, but how well? Can it mend broken bones or flesh wounds quickly? If yes, how quickly for your typical cut gash or general flesh injury and/or shattered bone? A minute? An hour? A day? A week? A month? Can it cure poisons? Can it cure diseases? You're not giving us any information here... you're playing with so many variables it makes my head spin!

Please, provide detailed information for us and then maybe we can tell you if it needs drawbacks.

3. Skin Hardening - The ability to harden the cells in his skin to the point that they are hard. This provides him with an increase to his defensive capablities as it acts as a natural armor that can withstand large physical impacts. The drawback to this ability is that his muscles feel stiff after use granting him less agility and mobility.

This is okay. He hardens up and gets slower.

The effects are simple and well defined, he gains resistance to physical attacks (but not magical ones I assume) and is slowed as a result. The drawback works and the effect is satisfactory. Keep this if you can't be bothered with detailing regeneration.

I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh, but I just needed to point these things out.

Edited by Brotato

It's only the first draft. Don't even have a name, image,history etc in mind. Just a power I was interested in using. Admittedly I did not put any thought into the 'numbers' when the change occurred. Stuck on phone again so not really into doing a longish post.

Will go through it again once I get home from

As was already mentioned above, this power and the resulting abilities do need to be reworked in order to be considered acceptable.

If it's any help to you, I did have a wolf in the second HtM that had a similar sort of power. It was called "berserk," where the wolf would get so enraged that his power would bulk him up and give him an increased size and dexterity, but at the same time he couldn't control himself and the ability only lasted for a certain amount of time.

I'm not saying you have to use this, but just to give you an idea of what kind of drawbacks would be appropriate for a power that would essentially give a wolf a near god-like status. I like the hardening ability-- I had a pup who could do that with his fur-- so that one seems fine to me. But the other abilities need to be fleshed out (heh) a little better.

No problem. I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Also, another general note: I will only be accepting Deltas for the Cursed right now, as we have enough for the Hallowed at the moment. I need more Gammas for the Hallowed instead haha.

*flails at Alex in frustration*

DANG IT ALEXANDER WHY

WHY WOULD YOU JOIN A LITERATE RP WHEN YOU ONLY MAKE ONE-LINERS EVERYWHERE ELSE

I WANT MY RESPONSE

*goes off to see what I can write for Gale and Umbria*

Mouse, please don't be rude.

And Alexander, please do not post OOC comments in the roleplay thread. That is exactly what an OOC thread is for.

I'll make a post for Ylva by this weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to post for Lya and/or Ulra then too. I've an exam tomorrow and a tedious project due on Sunday so, those have to come first. |D

Figures... Free all day today and the WiFi is acting up. Thank God for unlimited mobile data on yphone. Not sure if I can get a post up today. Also scrapping the body manipulation idea in favour of plant manipulation

Figures... Free all day today and the WiFi is acting up. Thank God for unlimited mobile data on yphone. Not sure if I can get a post up today. Also scrapping the body manipulation idea in favour of plant manipulation

Ugh, Botanokinesis is such a good power

I keep wondering why I didn't choose that for Gale

Guess who has internet at home again... thats right... THIS GUY DOES!. biggrin.gif

Also got a new set of abilities centered around Water Manipulation... well forms of water...

1. Mist Generation - The ability to exhale a thick greyish mist from his mouth and cover a 15 meter radius. The thick fog reduces visibility and also has a nullyfing effect on the sense of smell. The drawbacks of this ability are that the mist can be blown away by a strong enough gust, the effectibility of this ability relies on the moisture present in the air and that everyone caught in the mist is affected, including the user and his allies. The mist will last anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour before gradually disipitating on its own accord. The user is also unable to 'spam' this ability as repetitive use will cause dehydration.

2.Sensory Rain A perception type ability that requires the user to summon a rain storm into the vicinity. During this time, the droplets are linked with the users senses and as they make contact with surfaces on the ground, it paints a constantly changing image in the users mind. The image that the user see's is only black with white outlines that distinguish the various objects (i.e. Tree's/rocks etc) as well as any living creature in the vicinity. The area of effect is restricted to a 7 meter radius around his body. The drawback is that the user can only distinguish the shapes of the objects or creatures and is unable to tell two similar objects/creatures apart. (i.e. without knowing where someone is, he wouldn't be able to tell friend or foe; only knowing that there are X number of wolves within a 7 meter radius around him). The less moisture in the air, the more limited this ability becomes and any ability capable of vaporizing the droplets will relay a hazy image back to the user.

2.Bubble Bombs - The ability to conjure up to a dozen (car tyre sized) bubbles with the ability to explode and release a wave of hot air (capable of scalding skin) upon contact. The drawbacks to this ability are that the user cannot effectively direct the bubbles at the opponent nor can he prevent them from popping on their own accord if they come into contact with a sharp point. Like his other abilities this is also dependent upon the moisture present in the air.

Oh boo. I made a character with plant manipulation, then someone called dibs. Then I was working on water manipulation, and here we are again. I'm trying really hard to have something unique but I guess it's not really working out for me. xd.png

i called plant but changed to water. couldnt come up with anything I was 100% happy with :3

So I'm not making a plant manipulation character

Edited by TotallyDrow

no one gets dibs on powers fyi

Hey I remember this, I don't think I was around for the second one though. I'd like to join again though!

Username: earwig

Name: Skitt

Power: Ground manipulation

Abilities:

Golems -- Skitt is able to raise wolf-like creatures from dirt that seek out enemies. They are barely sentient, with their only function being charging into the nearest enemy and destroying themselves. They are very fast but very weak, and a simple attack is capable of destroying them. He can only raise 4 - 5 at a time, and once destroyed he must wait to raise them again.

Adaptive armour -- Skitt is able to "pull" a natural material on to his body to act as armour. This can range from dirt to stone, though the heavier a substance is, the slower he will be forced to move. His eyes, nose, mouth, tail and joints remain exposed most of the time, though he can choose to fully cover himself at the cost of being immobile and blind.

Eruption -- After digging his claws into the ground, Skitt causes a violent eruption at a location, producing a shockwave and splashing a small amount of lava. This also leaves a small crater, the bottom of which is lined with glowing molten rock, which will eventually collapse in on itself leaving barely a trace of its existence. While not particularly taxing, Eruption is volatile and dangerous to use, as Skitt fears he may cause harm to himself or his allies, as well as his opponents due to the debris it scatters. This ability can only be used on dry land and cannot be used on stone, and can only be used a few times before needing a cooldown.

Appearance: Skitt's coat is an earthy mix of black and brown, and he stands at average height. The bones and muscles in his legs are thicker than normal, giving him a stocky build suited for quick, explosive sprints rather than endurance. He's often never clean as loose clumps of dirt, stone, leaves and twigs catch in his fur. [X] [x]

Personality: Often direct in his approaches, Skitt isn't one for nonsense or trickery. He tends to be a realist, basing his observations on proof and physical evidence. He will often distance himself from situations unless they can directly involve him, and does his best to contain his emotions instead of expressing them.

History: An only child, Skitt was overprotected by his parents and did not properly experience the life of a wolf until he was nearly an adult. He was sheltered from any threats and was often kept separate from other wolves his age. He began to grow sick of this and started sneaking out at night, socialising with others and practising his abilities. On the night he discovered his "eruption" ability, the wolves with him were accidentally swallowed by his crater and killed. Terrified, he fled back home and claimed that they were ambushed by the Hallowed pack and he was the only survivor. His story seems to have been believed, but he is constantly paranoid that someone will uncover the truth.

Mate Preference: Female only

Alliance: Cursed

Position: Gamma Warrior

Edited by earwig

Hey I remember this, I don't think I was around for the second one though. I'd like to join again though!

Username: earwig

Name: Skitt

Power: Ground manipulation

Abilities:

Golems -- Skitt is able to raise wolf-like creatures from dirt that seek out enemies. They are barely sentient, with their only function being charging into the nearest enemy and destroying themselves. They are very fast but very weak, and a simple attack is capable of destroying them. He can only raise 4 - 5 at a time, and once destroyed he must wait to raise them again.

Adaptive armour -- Skitt is able to "pull" a natural material on to his body to act as armour. This can range from dirt to wood to stone, though the heavier a substance is, the slower he will be forced to move. His eyes, nose, mouth, tail and joints remain exposed most of the time, though he can choose to fully cover himself at the cost of being immobile and blind.

Chasm -- After digging his claws into the ground, Skitt can use a great amount of energy to rip the ground in two, opening chasms and ravines. The depth of these can vary depending on the type of ground beneath him, but most are quite deep. Skitt is unable to close these, must be immobile to create them, and becomes greatly fatigued afterward. He saves this for rare occasions.

Appearance: Skitt's coat is an earthy mix of black and brown, and he stands at average height. The bones and muscles in his legs are thicker than normal, giving him a stocky build suited for quick, explosive sprints rather than endurance. He's often never clean as loose clumps of dirt, stone, leaves and twigs catch in his fur. [X] [x]

Personality: Often direct in his approaches, Skitt isn't one for nonsense or trickery. He tends to be a realist, basing his observations on proof and physical evidence. He will often distance himself from situations unless they can directly involve him, and does his best to contain his emotions instead of expressing them.

History: An only child, Skitt was overprotected by his parents and did not properly experience the life of a wolf until he was nearly an adult. He was sheltered from any threats and was often kept separate from other wolves his age. He began to grow sick of this and started sneaking out at night, socialising with others and practising his abilities. On the night he discovered his "chasm" ability, the wolves with him were accidentally swallowed by his ravine and killed. Terrified, he fled back home and claimed that they were ambushed by the Hallowed pack and he was the only survivor. His story seems to have been believed, but he is constantly paranoid that someone will uncover the truth.

Mate Preference: Female only

Alliance: Cursed

Position: Gamma Warrior

Golems seems interesting and well thought out. Maybe a bit too weak actually. xd.png it's good.

Armour is very well defined and looks perfect to me. Not too strong, not too weak, downsides clearly defined.

Chasms, well... I mean, it looks okay, and it has the standard exhaustion aftereffect for such a powerful ability, but what makes me itch is the fact those chasms will stick around. Also looking at the story of how those wolves died in the chasm, did they get crushed by falling rocks or did they, well, fall to their doom? Or what?

Both the former and latter suggest a rather monumental change in the terrain.

Multiply that by the number of uses and we'll likely have a problem on our hands, or just have to ignore those chasms were ever formed. In addition, the ability seems like the perfect tool to use in order to instantly decimate structures or camps. If Skitt uses Chasm in one of the wolves'camps once or twice, I'd imagine it'd be pretty much wrecked, especially if it's on soft ground, which might very well be the case.

I'd like to suggest a few alternatives to Chasm that you may or may not like. laugh.gif

1: Terrakinesis: Skitt's atonement to the earth allows him to rip chunks of it out of the ground and use them offensively by throwing them at his opponents, or defensively by using them to shield himself from ranged attacks. The amount he can effectively move and use in such a manner highly depends on the type of earth he uses. Dirt and sand are the least taxing when he uses them, but provide the least amount of protection or striking power, while solid stones are substantially more taxing, but match their cost with their protective and damaging qualities. Skitt must remain firmly on the ground to use this ability, and prolonged use of it tires him out quickly.

2: Eruption: Skitt causes a violent eruption at a location, producing a shockwave and scattering small rocks at high speeds in a small area, leaving a small crater, the bottom of which is lined with glowing molten rock, which will eventually collapse in on itself leaving barely a trace of its existence. While not particularly taxing, Eruption is volatile and dangerous to use, as Skitt fears he may cause harm to himself or his allies, as well as his opponents due to the debris it scatters. He may use it three times before having to wait a while for his strength to return and grant him more uses. Eruption is usable on any hard earth surface apart from solid stone. Should he use it on a hard stone surface, he would only manage to crack it. Wet or soft earth surfaces produce only mud or sand, rendering Eruption nearly harmless.

3: Burrow: Skitt can move through the earth easily, allowing him to seek refuge or plan an ambush from beneath the earth's surface. While burrowing, he forms tunnels barely large enough for him to move through. He can only move at a walking pace through hard earth, running pace through soft, and can not burrow through solid stone at all. In combat, Burrow allows him to avoid being hit by quickly ducking underground, though elemental attacks that can pierce the earth can still harm him. He can not Burrow further than ten or so meters beneath the surface, and must beware hitting the edge of a water basin, as his tunnel can be flooded. While burrowing, he can hear most of what goes on above him, but the act of burrowing itself is not silent and can give away his presence to listeners on the surface.

Edited by Brotato