TJ09

2011-01-18 - Blackout

Thank you for taking a stand TJ! I hope that the bill dies personally. I personally do not believe in government censorship

Thanks for doing this, I'm totally stoked DC is chiming in with so many others about stopping SOPA / PIPA. This has my support! Plus, love the new skin on its own--as someone said on IRC last night, it makes all the dragons look so shiny. laugh.gif

*Adds thumbs-up*

I definitely support this since our Canadian government closely watches what happens in the US.

Thank you TJ.

I think it's good that you did it, and it does deserve applause. The new background is cool. Even if it is for today only.

TJ, thank you very much for taking a stand on such an important issue. I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone outside of Congress who supports this bill, but it was still a risk - one your users are obviously glad you have taken. I've done more than a little research into SOPA & PIPA legislation. Though its wording makes it seem as though the intention is to protect intellectual property and increase internet security, it will do neither. In its current state the new laws would only provide a way for innocent people and companies to become criminals. It is a dangerous beginning to something that will only end badly.

It seems like it's been a few pages since this has been posted, so I'd like to re-post a few links for everyone.

If you are outside the U.S. but would still like to make your voice heard, you can sign Avaaz's global anti-SOPA petition here: Avaaz.org: Save The Internet

If you are a U.S. resident, you can use Contacting the Congress' website to locate contact information for your local represntative here: Contacting the Congress - A Citizen's Congressional Directory

Most Congressmen/women and Senators have Facebook pages as well: the walls for my state's representatives are full of anti-SOPA/PIPA posts.

user posted image

Don't mess with the internet, Congress. We can and will use it against you. wink.gif

I totally support you TJ. Though I do not live in the US so I don't know if my voice will be important to that matter or even heard. SO... I guess all I can say is that I support your decision.

Thanks for the heads-up, TJ.

This is not so much politics, as a protest against tyranny. When the few can dictate the actions of the majority, the democratic process can be derailed by delegates for dollars, then the free are on a long slide to becoming the enslaved. If we, who use the internet do not defend our rights, who will?

I've written my representatives, I'm signing the petition. I'm more afraid of what will happen if good people sit silent than I am of speaking against a bill that, basically, would give unprecedented power to any individual with a grudge to shut down the internet.

*gives round of applause*

I'm very happy that we're taking a stand against this type of tyranny, I think a lot of problems stem from people not speaking out and I'm glad to see this issue isn't being ignored.

YES! Protest! This bill is a bunch of bull censorkip.gif ...

Really, it's not to protect artists and whatnot, it's to control the internet and make money. Money, money, money...

+rep TJ.

Artists are also speaking out against it, pointing out that it actually hurts them far more than it protects them. Much <3 to Neil Gaiman and the artists, authors, and cool people that signed this open letter: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/01/open...om-artists.html

And thanks TJ. As others have said, this isn't just politics. If you think about how many business operate on the internet these days and some solely on the internet.. this could cause a lot of bankruptcies.

You know those times that you hate to be right? This is one of them for me. My personal RL motto is "I blame the government". What is wrong with these people? Do they really think this will be taken silently? Do they realize exactly what they are setting themselves up for?

TJ, good on you for doing this. This thing needs all the publicity it can get, and with huge sites like Google and Wikipedia in on it, there is no questioning the importance of the matter.

...and you did it with style, for that matter. The Blackout skin is awesome.

You have my complete support. Thank you so much for taking this stand.

Free speech forever.

My thoughts exactly! SOPA/PIPA is aweful! If those bills pass, how can anyone be sure the government won`t force worse on us?

"Those who would give up essential liberty in exchange for a little security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

the idiots who came up with SOPA need to start listening to the people they actually represent.

the companies that support it (I'm looking at you especially, MPAA) need to stop thinking only with their wallets.

our congressmen need to actually do a little research before they try and act like they know everything about an unfamiliar topic. or at least LISTEN when the people who built the damn internet write a letter saying "uh, if you pass these bills, it'll pretty much jack up the net's entire infrastructure"

TJ, I can imagine how hard it must have been for you to break with a policy you believe in and live by, yet I think you made the right choice regarding SOPA and PIPA. user posted image user posted image user posted image