TJ09

2011-01-18 - Blackout

Thank you TJ! I fully support your decision to implement the new look. It is important to raise awareness.

What's a little creepy about this is who is behind SOPA:

CNET, which is owned by CBS, was one of the original distributors of programs like Kazaa, Limewire, Bittorrent, and even provided a search for MP3s that you could just right click and save, right from their website.

For more information, you can watch it here.

That's some creepy stuff.

I completely support any efforts to stop SOPA/PIPA. It's absolutely ridiculous and it would kill most of my favorite sites. Fanfiction.net isn't hurting anyone, but it would inevitably be shut down because it deals with copyrighted material. Really, no website's safe from this bill because anyone could post a link to something that's taken completely out of context and labeled as piracy.

Besides, if this passes, what's next? Are they going to try to hunt down everyone who shares books/CDs/DVDs because technically that's one less sale that could have been made? If this passes, the line between protecting businesses and starting a senseless witch hunt becomes very unclear. I would think that this would hurt a lot of companies, anyway. The quickest way to spread word about a book/movie/CD/whatever is probably the internet but if people become too afraid to so much as mention anything remotely copyrighted because the website could be shut down that form of advertisement is lost.

I sincerely doubt that this will pass, but all the same I think the blackout is a fantastic idea. With big sites like Google and Wikipedia behind it I think people will be forced to realize how harmful this bill can be.

At first I was like "THIS LAYOUT SUCKS! Gawd. >D" And now I don't care at all and actually like it. Woo America! (And all other countries with living people in them. =) )

As a resident of such a never-heard land as finland i have no idea what is this all about. Some US politics, right? Okay, i got that, and everything else literally, but in fact, i don't know anything about this thing.

But today when i opened dc i was like "omg it's deleted or something!!!!" becouse i just didn't notice that it was dc. Hahah, it's so completely different! Anyway, i just hope that everything will be fine and i'm sure that you TJ can make the best decissions for this site. (:

In Germany the people don't know anything about this crap. There was only a short notice that Anonymus did something against a company because it supportet the act. (I don't remember the details.) And it was only said the act was against piracy on the internet and all the people just got: Anonymus is criminal! and stuff. No one knew about SOPA and no one cared enough to google it and learn what it is all about. They were really puzzled when I told them it's like censor.

I'm happy that DC is taking part in the Blackout-Day and the design really fits.

Edited by Lilithiana

Awesome stance, and a brilliant layout to go along with it. I think someone else said they'd love it if it (or a variant) stuck around; I want to second that, because I love the effect. It's like you're in a deep dark cave with just a flashlight. Anyway, it's a very cool design.

I HATE Politics..... but I HATE Censorship even more. Thank you for taking this stand TJ. *HUGS*

I like the gray layout, makes the dragons stand out better. If we keep a version of this skin, please put the links at the top of the page as normal.

I didn't hear anything about all this yet, but I totally support this blackout layout! Freedom of speech is very important here in the Netherlands, as should it be in the rest of the world!

At first I was like "THIS LAYOUT SUCKS! Gawd. >D" And now I don't care at all and actually like it. Woo America! (And all other countries with living people in them. =) )

You do not support the countries with no living people in them? But what about Zombieland! Do you not support the world's undead?

</sarcasm>

Let us all hope the corporations don't get this through.... far too much power with far too little limiting how it is to be used.

But if this Act is passed, will it affect DC..?

who knows...

it just takes one person accusing DC is using something copyrighted (it does not even have to be true)...and the site is gonna end up on the list of sites to be blocked - because SOPA/PIPA put that kind of decition/control into the hands of big companies and not into the hands of the justice sysetm...and that is very wrong. Not matter if it hits DC or not.

YES! Protest! This bill is a bunch of bull censorkip.gif ...

Really, it's not to protect artists and whatnot, it's to control the internet and make money. Money, money, money...

+rep TJ.

Adding to the voices applauding you for taking this action. Even if you don't normally get involved in such things, sometimes a stand HAS to be made. Thank you for making it.

Oh, when I went onto the site, I nearly had a heart attack thinking maybe I accidentally inputted the name wrong and was on a typosquatter or something... xd.png

Hmm, not a bad idea. I didn't expect this, that's for sure, but I support this. Plus, the skin is kind of cool. I like grey. xd.png

Bravo TJ

As a European I feel quite helpless watching the whole SOPA/PIPA thing develop and not being able to call someone about it - like a representative for example - or protest it on the street. Even if this is not a law passed in my country I'm still worried about it and I hope that it won't pass. As cynical as I feel about the U.S. most of the time I still believe we and especially the "land of the free" should be better than this crap.

Thanks to a nice pm and afterwards combing through this thread I finally found some petitions I as a German could sign.

I love this forum even more now smile.gif

Edited by herk

Nice idea! I went on the site and nearly had a heart attack. xd.png I had no idea any of this was going on; thanks for spreading the awareness!

As someone who'd followed this whole SOPA thing from the beginning, I support you in this TJ. Way to go, I was surprised to see DC in blackout mode too, but pleasently so.