TJ09

2011-01-18 - Blackout

You know those times that you hate to be right? This is one of them for me. My personal RL motto is "I blame the government". What is wrong with these people? Do they really think this will be taken silently? Do they realize exactly what they are setting themselves up for?

We take most things pretty silently much of the time, so why would they expect this to be different? The SOPA issue shows that the people have power; IMO, the worst thing we can do when it's done is give it all back to the government just so that we can hand off the blame.

I wanted to say a little something while I am able.

Although I see some good sides for the approval of those laws I'm pretty much against them as everyone else, seemingly. I think the Internet is a place full of incredible and terrible stuff but also terrible stuff that can give you nightmares for weeks.

It's important for us to know how to use it. I mean I am able to make this post and say the most awesome or barbaric stuff you could imagine, but I know I should keep some stuff to myself, just the same as when you walk in the street and see a person you can tell her anything offensive or nice or not to say nothing at all, the internet allows us a pretty much similar interaction. So it's important for us to know when to stand up and talk or just listen/read and keep it to ourselves. By this I'm not referring to anyone or anything in particular, for the record.

Anyway, I just came here to say that as much as I support this idea of TJ, the new site layout is a bit "heavy". The page gets really slow to scroll on my computer, and it's not just the dragon page but everyone other. I think it's that grey background that's slowing this down.

I fully support your decision, TJ, both in keeping the site politically agnostic thusfar, and in choosing to speak out against this particular issue.

Thank you TJ for the decision to speak up, and for the amount of thought you put into the way of expressing your concern.

Good decision to speak up. Will support as much as I can.

EDIT: Can I support if I'm not in the US?

Edited by Horse2000

Yay! user posted image

I was glad to see DC joining the protest, TJ, and would have also been fine with us being gone for the day, if it would help stop the bit of political idiocy.

It's sad to see the massive amount of bias on World News Tonight. They just did a "report" on the blackouts, which basically consisted of 'They are protesting against this bill that is against piracy' and then showed a kid looking up Torrents to show how easy it is to find pirated movies.

Come on, now World News Tonight. :/

Good to hear that the representatives who were supporting it are fleeing from it in droves.

And also good to hear some representatives basically stating this bill is censorship at it's worst (including my state's republican representative).

The power of the internet! Even the most quiet of people in Real Life can become the loudest people on the internet!

Edited by MysticTiger

Good decision to speak up. Will support as much as I can.

EDIT: Can I support if I'm not in the US?

Yes you can. Here's a link to the global petition.

It's great that another large community is helping to raise awareness.

Unfortunately I can't participate, but hopefully at least two others will be able to take my place.

i posted the wiki links to this protest to my facebook page last night when i saw the wiki message, i'm not that keen on the new skin, but fully appreciate the fact that the DC community is also making its thoughts known..

kudos to TJ for remembering that you have to speak to be heard..

N

Its our rights to do what ever we want so tell congress NO!!!!!!!

Thank you TJ for taking a stand and spreading awareness for opposing these two bills.

Let's not have America follow China's example.