Fortune86

Fell Haven 2

Moonshine took a seat, and thanked him politely before sitting down and pulling up the menu and quickly glancing at it. Every dish she saw made her detest grow. She closed it and put it on the table for a moment and closed her eyes and took a dep breath, and suddenly all her emotions vanished, before being replaced by a calm acceptance. She held out the menu to Tegan and said "You order for me please? Try not to buy anything too pricy."

Edited by warewolves

((Moonshine must be a remarkable thespian to be able to turn her emotions on and out that way))

"You don't have to worry about the bill. I am inviting you, remember? And choose your meal?" Tegan grinned. "You are beginning to sound like Moira, Mystery girl. But I am pretty sure that unlike her you have an opinon and since I have no way of figuring out which it might be" he raised an eyebrow "you are on your own."

He pushed the menu back. "From personal experience I can recommend the raw oysters with Mignonette sauce or the white truffles."

((Got to vanish for a bit. *hugs*))

(That is what she thinks, of course she doesn't.)

Moonshine looked down upon the menu, pleased to hear she didn't need to pay. She gave the menu a one more look and then opened her mouth and said "You better be sure about this..." She paused, and then began her order. "I will have the meat sufle' medium rare with a glass of water on the side. For my next course I will have the 'ala de blec' with cream in the centre, not the caramel one. I would also like some of those 'creba le heurs' that are well talked about, along with the main course of Lobster thermomiter. And for desert just a simple plate of those brownies." She mused for a moment, and then nodded and handed Tegan back the menu. "If that's too much, just the Lobster."

((MEEP!))

((I live in america, ninja.gif I go to school))

Cyrus was launched into the ceiling by the force of the blow. The android's head was caught in the rafters, and cyrus hung there. He didn't try to free himself, due to the fact that creating the concussion pockets had run down his battery. Yamaha meanwhile, had already fled for the helicopter, and took off.

The horned creature reached up for the cyborg and grabbed his legs. Tugging hard it pulled Cyrus free and then flung him forward so hard that he crashed through the windows above the doorway and flew across the road into the front of the building on the other side, causing a lot of bewilderment amongst the people outside.

The monster roared and forced his way out onto the road, making people panic and run away, pushing and shoving each other over. By the time the monster had managed to pull its self free from the Faulty Tower the helicopter and people had long gone, leaving only the lone cyborg.

((If Cyrus gets smashed to pieces, can he be repaired?))

((By the way I can't see Melodys picture. Could you pm me a short description or something like that?))

Moira took the offered hand and shook. She wasn't sure how to reply to the other statment so she remained quiet.

She turned a bit and made a follow me gesture, prepared to lead the way.

((yeah, sure. I did notice the link went rotten, so I posted another link... somewhere... I'll dig it up, but I'll PM it to you or something.))

Melodee decided Moira's silence was the cue to shut up, so she bit her lip and stepped forward, realizing they were about to take their leave. She wondered about Moira's seemingly emotionless state. What was wrong with this girl? Woman... she corrected herself. No matter. The college was probably a treasure trove. SHe just had to play the part or innocent little child with no home. She almost smirked. That should be easy enough.

Edited by Silver_Voices

7) Every post must be at least four sentences long. Try and beef them out a bit so people have something to work with.

((Ahem))

((oops... sorry... Lemme fix that...))

((Fixed.))

Edited by Silver_Voices

'Well, she hadn't joked when she had said she could eat a lot.' Tegan mused while Moonshine made her order. She was running up quite a bill but he wasn't concerned.

When she was finished she hesitated and said: "If that's too much, just the lobster."

Tegan grinned. "Sometimes you are too cute for words, Mystery girl. What point is there to let yourself be invited by a guy from a rich family if you then have to worry if he can pay for your dinner?"

Tegan ordered the white truffles for himself and once the waiter left he leaned over intending to take her hand and kiss the tips of her fingers.

((I'd prefer that gesture to be too quick and surprising for her to do anything about it, but since it's your charrie I guess I have to give you the opportunity to evade ))

---

((earwig, I won't write anything about Kane at the moment. If you decide he'd come along I'll edit in a sentence or two to that effect later. Okay?))

Melody was delicate, blond girl, who looked quite beautiful even in her gothic clothes. For that reason the two of them earned some looks by male passants from a quite different nature then those that Moira alone, who was generally considered a freak, usually drew.

Unable to interpret them Moira ignored both kind of looks and lead Melody straight to the appartments on the campus.

She had to search a full minute for the key, which was something she usually didn't bother with. She tended to just pass through the wall directly into her rooms instead of going through the front door if she was alone, but so far her guests had all prefered the door.

Moira's apartment had a little bathroom with a shower, a toilet and a sink. There were two other rooms. One held her bed, wardrobe, computer and books. The other was a kitchen/eating room/living room. There was an x-box in there that Moira had never used, but which she had brought with her because Tegan and Cizzur had used to like it when the three of them were younger.

The rooms were notable for absence of carpets or wallpaper, instead Moira had tiled both walls and floor.

The kitchen/living room was done in shades of blue, the bedroom in black and white.

If Melody had had x-ray vision she would have probably seen that there was another little room three meters under their feet, totally surrounded by rock. It was filled with weapons and poisons of all kind.

Moira opened the bedroom first and motioned toward the unused bed (black blanket and pillow on white sheets).

"You can have my bed. I prefer sleeping in the wall anyway." she said. She put her hand to the tiled wall and let it sink into it to explain what she meant."

Edited by Laura-Lana

((earwig, I won't write anything about Kane at the moment. If you decide he'd come along I'll edit in a sentence or two to that effect later. Okay?))

Melody was delicate, blond girl, who looked quite beautiful even in her gothic clothes. For that reason the two of them earned some looks by male passants from a quite different nature then those that Moira alone, who was generally considered a freak, usually drew.

Unable to interpret them Moira ignored both kind of looks and lead Melody straight to the appartments on the campus.

She had to search a full minute for the key, which was something she usually didn't bother with. She tended to just pass through the wall directly into her rooms instead of going through the front door if she was alone, but so far her guests had all prefered the door.

Moira's apartment had a little bathroom with a shower, a toilet and a sink. There were two other rooms. One held her bed, wardrobe, computer and books. The other was a kitchen/eating room/living room. There was an x-box in there that Moira had never used, but which she had brought with her because Tegan and Cizzur had used to like it when the three of them were younger.

The rooms were notable for absence of carpets or wallpaper, instead Moira had tiled both walls and floor.

The kitchen/living room was done in shades of blue, the bedroom in black and white.

If Melody had had x-ray vision she would have probably seen that there was another little room three meters under their feet, totally surrounded by rock. It was filled with weapons and poisons of all kind.

Moira opened the bedroom first and motioned toward the unused bed (black blanket and pillow on white sheets).

"You can have my bed. I prefer sleeping in the wall anyway." she said. She put her hand to the tiled wall and let it sink into it to explain what she meant."

((It's actually Brainiac. There's two Kanes. It's confusing at first, but... Yeah.))

Melodee followed Moira through the campus, trying to ignore the glances she got from some of the guys. She pulled her shirt up higher on her chest as she walked past. When they got the the apartment, it seemed as if Moira had lost the key, but she remained silent as she searched for it. Eventually they entered and she looked around the little living area.

"You can have my bed. I prefer sleeping in the wall anyway." Moira said.
She saw Moira's hand sink into the wall and her eyes shot open. So, Moira was a super. "Oh, um... Ok, thanks. I'll... Go in there now." She walked into the room and closed the door behind her. Throwing herself onto the bed, she closed her eyes and thought of all that had happened through the day. First, the cold. Then, Jason and that dragon. Next, meeting Kane. Now here. Kicking her shoes off, she ducked under the blanket, wondering if anything about this day could get any crazier. Edited by Silver_Voices

((Slamming the door shut in front of her face... You know it's good that she hasn't any feelings Melody can hurt. ))

Moira walked to the minifridge and poured herself some apple juice. Then she consulted the shedule her almost-brother Tommy had made for her and cooked pasta with cheesesauce. She was supposed to eat dinner at 9pm if she wasn't with Tommy, Tegan or her boyfriend Cizzur, so that was what she did. Deciding what to cook would have been a problem without the handy shedule though.

Remembering her guest Moira knocked on the door to her bedroom.

"Are you hungry? I've cooked some pasta"

Moonshine could have easily avoided, but she feigned supprise and looked embarased afterwards. Soon enough, the food came and she looked down at the pathetic propertions with a slight dismay before accpting it and moving on. As she picked up a knife and fork she began to politely chop up the steak and place small pieces into her mouth. She turned to look out the window and saw a teenage couple walking by and arguing over a slice of pizza. The girl snatched the piece and shoved it into the guy's mouth and shouted 'you've just been pizza'ed!' Moonshine turned back to her food, noting how some of the snobs laughed at them as they enjoyed 'lower food' and how 'low class' they were. She didn't show it, but she would have preferd a pizza evening like thagt rather then the ritzy resturant a hundred times over. She put a piece of the steak in her mouth and couldn't help but savor the only bit of steak that had come out perfectly, with the bbq marinate. She finished the meel and thanked the waiter as he took them away to get her next course. She turned her gaze to Tegan and gazed at him with the eyes his x girlfirends always made at him, one of utter devotion. Her mind was still on the steak she had eaten, barely paying any attention to reality.

Edited by warewolves

((Slamming the door shut in front of her face... You know it's good that she hasn't any feelings Melody can hurt. ))

Moira walked to the minifridge and poured herself some apple juice. Then she consulted the shedule her almost-brother Tommy had made for her and cooked pasta with cheesesauce. She was supposed to eat dinner at 9pm if she wasn't with Tommy, Tegan or her boyfriend Cizzur, so that was what she did. Deciding what to cook would have been a problem without the handy shedule though.

Remembering her guest Moira knocked on the door to her bedroom.

"Are you hungry? I've cooked some pasta"

((Oops... Hehe, sorry...))

"Yeah, actually. Thanks." Melodee emerged from the bedroom looking tired and ragged. She smiled gratefully at Moira and sat at the table. "So, how long have you been at the Academy?" She asked. If she was going to stay here, she wanted to get to know her host a little more.

((Thanks, Ware!))

Feeling awakward on a date wasn't something he had much experience with. When he saw the pair with the pizza he felt Moonshine's longing to be in their place and he knew that she knew he knew, but because of her demands he couldn't admit it and do something about it.

So he settled for taking a grim satisfaction in knowing she paid the price for her own sheme and pretended Moonshine was as pleased with where she was as she pretended to be. He told her funny little storys from the academy that he was half sure she didn't listen to and watched her eat. At least she was enjoying her steak.

When she began to look at him with wide, empty eyes and a silly smile on her lips he needed a full minute to get the hint. He had never gotten a look of adoration without feeling the adoration behind it before. It looked rather strange, he reflected absently, but who knew if Moonshine had it right?

He better do something about it though.

He leaned forward and gave his voice a dark, seductive edge. "If you keep looking at me like that, mystery gir, I'll be unable to resist kissing you again. And I promise this time I won't settle for your fingertips."

---

"A year."

Moira reacognized the expectant look in Melodys eyes and realized the girl expected to be a more elaborate reply. Probably small talk. Moira's attempts at small talk used to fail abysmal.

Moira wasn't truly capteable to like or dislike something so giving an opinion about a film, book or even the dessert was as problematic to her as differential equations were to a butterfly.

But Tegan had pointed out that there were other topics of small talk. She could tell something about her school, her family, mention a charity project, complain about the weather or ask the other person a question and have them talk.

"I was sent there after graduating in High Reach." She said. "That's a school for Superheroes. My mother, Professor Freeze knows the Academy because she's helping it with financical support. She thinks furthering the interaction between Supers and Nonsupers is important.

I don't think that I would have been allowed to enroll otherwise because most universitys seem to have reservations against students that are mentally disturbed.

Where do you go to school?"

School, family, a question. She wasn't sure if her adoptive mothers donations counted as charity and she hadn't complained about the weather, but she figured she had done quite well.

Moonshine laughed when she was supposed to laugh, shook her head in dismay when she was meant to. And when Tegan leaned in and threatened to kiss her again her body acted automatically and went to punch him. At the last second she realised what she was doing and the fist became a hand that grabbed Tegan's neck and pulled him the few centimeters toward her face. Their lips met, moonshine closed her eyes and let him enjoy it, keeping her emotions fom fluxuating and keeping them calm by concentrating on her breaths. After a long enough time, she leaned back and smiled at him "I won't let you do it, I'll do it before you can." She glanced around for the toiler and spotted it and stood up "I just need a few moments. I'l be right out Teegs." And she made a beeline for the toilet, but only as if she had to go. As she relieved herself she leaned down and stared at the floor. She didn't know what it was, but an empty toilet made her relax. She took a few moments, enough to setle herself again, before finishing up and heading back out. She sat back down and smiled at Tegan, before flinching as the whispers began. Something about a paper trail. She glanced down to her food and pulled the toiler paper away from her shoe, teleporting it back to the toilet before returning without the slightest waver in her spot. But they wouldn't stop the whispering. It was unerving her, she held her head for a moment as the migraine happened. 'Calm down, don't freak out.' She thought, feeling the fear she knew all to well. If she couldn't bottle it soon...The whispers, no they were gone. Moonshine looked to her dinner, reality fading out as her fear, anger, and utter defeat came back to her mind. Suddenly, her phone vibrated and she snapped back to reality. She noticed they had stopped whispering, and wonderd how long ago. Turning she opened her bag and gazed at her phone, and couldn't help but smile warmly. "That lucky Bass." She mutterd. It was from an old friend of hers, one that was more infatuated with her then Tegan. But even after years of rejection, he still helped her out when she needed it. 'You told me to tell you to calm down if your reading began to go haywire'. Her smile faded as she rememberd she had to fihish the date, and she sent a quick thanks and turned back to her date. Suddenly her phone began to vibrate over and over again. She felt minor annoyance, but ignored him. He liked to make himself out to be romeo too much. "I'm sorry, it WAS important." She glanced to her bag, where the phone continued to vibrate. "So where were we?"

Edited by warewolves

"A year."

Moira reacognized the expectant look in Melodys eyes and realized the girl expected to be a more elaborate reply. Probably small talk. Moira's attempts at small talk used to fail abysmal.

Moira wasn't truly capteable to like or dislike something so giving an opinion about a film, book or even the dessert was as problematic to her as differential equations were to a butterfly.

But Tegan had pointed out that there were other topics of small talk. She could tell something about her school, her family, mention a charity project, complain about the weather or ask the other person a question and have them talk.

"I was sent there after graduating in High Reach." She said. "That's a school for Superheroes. My mother, Professor Freeze knows the Academy because she's helping it with financical support. She thinks furthering the interaction between Supers and Nonsupers is important.

I don't think that I would have been allowed to enroll otherwise because most universitys seem to have reservations against students that are mentally disturbed.

Where do you go to school?"

School, family, a question. She wasn't sure if her adoptive mothers donations counted as charity and she hadn't complained about the weather, but she figured she had done quite well.

Melodee blinked as Moira mentioned 'mentally disturbed' but didn't interrupt to ask about it.

"I... I don't go to school..." Her eyes wandered upwards as she again tried to remember life before the streets. "I don't ever remember going to school, except when I used to sneak into them for a place to sleep or something to do during the day." She looked back at Moira. "The only thing I remember is waking up in an alley, covered in burns." She pulled up her sleeve to show Moira her scars on her arm. After a while of awkward silence, she remembered Moira's comment. "So... What do you mean by 'mentally disturbed'?"

Leon decided to sit next to the girl. "I'll believe it when I see it." He grinned. "Until then..."

Issac watched as Leon further pushed himself into trouble, knowing he wouldn't listen anyways, he just sat while Leon's actions amused him. While the girl still didn't look familiar, not only her presense, but her attitude reminded him of someone as well, but who?

Kannika's eyes narrowed as the man spoke again, this time telling her he'd believe her when he saw it. This guy is either paying no attention to where he is, or he's an idiot. She thought as he moved to the seat next to her.

The same person who'd warned about the possibility of spiked drinks called out again, this time mentioning that it'd be this guy's funeral, as Kannika looked down at her hands for a moment. The next minute, she lifted her left hand, and acted as if she was about to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

Then she quickly backhanded the man sitting next to her. If he didn't move, and if her aim was right, her wooden ring would hit a pressure point on his jaw.

Edited by sapfirewolf

Leon felt a somewhat hard hit from the girl. It hurt all right, it aggravated his jaw line on the side she hit. "Heh, so you aren't defenseless afterall." He tilted his head to stretch the side of his neck that'd been hit, cracking his neck in the process. "Ah, that's better."

He then got up, the hairs on the back of his neck were pricking at him uncomfortably. "Uh... Issac..."

"What is it now? Did you finally get your balls cut off by the girl?" Issac then turned to Leon, seeing how he was now twitching. "Oh great... what is it this time?"

"I don't know... but something's bugging me..." Leon replied. "Kinda like that time we accidently ran into a greater demon... remember?"

Issac recalled the event quite clearly. In Athlon they had run into a mansion and figured they'd spend the night. Leon felt very uncomfortable about the place, something that's not normal for Leon considering he doesn't mind where he goes usually. Leon kept saying to Issac he had felt uncomfortable. Issac had told him not to mind it, but Leon said the feeling kept getting worse the further they went into the mansion. It turned out the mansion was ruled by a greater demon that had a variety of tricks up it's sleeves... one of which was the house itself. The house didn't exist in reality, it was all an illusion.

Dark magic... Issac thought to himself. We'd best get out of here. I'm in no shape to fight and Leon can hardly take a hit from anything of a dark type of magic...

Edited by DragonlordJT

Tegan had leaned back in his chair, arms crossed and watched her out of narrowed eyes. This date wasn't going at all like he wanted it to. In fact he began to wonder if he had been wrong about her. Maybe she had told him the truth from the start and she wasn't romantically interested in him after all. His receptive empathy hadn't give him wrong information before, but there was a first time for everything. He had been tempted to use his projective empathy and force her to feel pleasure at their kiss instead of nothing, but Moonshine would have known it was him and he was pretty sure she wouldn't have forgiven it.

"You were kissing me" he said matter of factly without even trying to put a measure of seduction into his voice. "After that you ran of into the bathroom, which of course leaves me wondering how I messed up."

He put his fork carfully next to his plate. "Don't you think it's time you stopped that game of yours and told me what this is about?"

---

Moira studied the skin that had been scarred by burns dutifully. She wasn't an expert, so they didn't tell her much.

"You might want to show those to my almost-brother. He's studying medicine, so he might be able to tell you something about how one can receive such marks."

Moira took a bit of pasta.

"It says I am mentally disturbed in my file, but unfortunately it lacks further detail. Mother is a brainchirugon and she says it's not something I can help, it's because a part of my brain is missing, which is helpful in explaining why there is an imbalance but not in how it manifests. I can tell you however that my emotions seem to be blocked. Everything else is just a consequence of that."

Moira took another bit of pasta.

"So if you never went to school does that mean you can't read or write? Do sums? Speak another language or play an instrument?"

Edited by Laura-Lana

Moonshine closed her eyes and sighed. "Fine, it's not like I wanted to do this in the first place." She opened her eyes and gazed at him intently for a moment, relief evident in her emotions. "But lets finish the dinner first. I am enjoying that atleast..." She paused and glanced at her dinner and finished the last few morsels, and then moved on to dessert. Eventually the meal was done, and she raised her eyes and gazed at Tegan for a few moments and mused. "Once you've payed for the meal, meet me outside." She closed her eyes as she stood up, put the money she had brought on the table "I will pay for my meal a little bit, I'm not that stuck up myself." She stood up and glanced to him, and then headed outside. She waited near the front door, and pulled out a few piecs of paper. 'Lets see.... No he's not knowing that,or that, or that.' She blacked out a few things on the pages. Then she folded them and put them into an envelope, and waited. She frowne at the uncomfortable feeling in her chest. 'What's this? Is that...nerviousness?' She frowned, thuroughtly confused.

"Fine, it's not like I wanted to do this in the first place. But lets finish the dinner first. I am enjoying that atleast..."

"True.", Tegan said grimly. "I guess, I have only to blame myself."

He watched her eating, but only finished his drink. His appetite was gone.

"I will pay for my meal a little bit, I'm not that stuck up myself."

"No you won't." Tegan growled, his eyes blazing angrily. "You promised you'd allow me to invite you to dinner and you'll at least allow me to pay for it."

He payed for the meal, gave the waitress a generous tip despite not feeling like it and ignored Moonshine's money.

Then he followed her outside, where she was busying herself with some papers.

He stopped and watched her for a moment, fighting an impulse which might have ended with him kissing her again or throtteling her. He wasn't sure what.

'I guess if nothing else, the little exercise proved I genuine love her' He thought. 'If I was feeling only a reflection from her own emotions she wouldn't have been able to mess that way with me tonight.' The thought singularily failed to cheer him up.

He took a step closer to her.

"Moonshine?"

Edited by Laura-Lana

Leon felt a somewhat hard hit from the girl. It hurt all right, it aggravated his jaw line on the side she hit. "Heh, so you aren't defenseless afterall." He tilted his head to stretch the side of his neck that'd been hit, cracking his neck in the process. "Ah, that's better."

He then got up, the hairs on the back of his neck were pricking at him uncomfortably. "Uh... Issac..."

"What is it now? Did you finally get your balls cut off by the girl?" Issac then turned to Leon, seeing how he was now twitching. "Oh great... what is it this time?"

"I don't know... but something's bugging me..." Leon replied. "Kinda like that time we accidently ran into a greater demon... remember?"

Issac recalled the event quite clearly. In Athlon they had run into a mansion and figured they'd spend the night. Leon felt very uncomfortable about the place, something that's not normal for Leon considering he doesn't mind where he goes usually. Leon kept saying to Issac he had felt uncomfortable. Issac had told him not to mind it, but Leon said the feeling kept getting worse the further they went into the mansion. It turned out the mansion was ruled by a greater demon that had a variety of tricks up it's sleeves... one of which was the house itself. The house didn't exist in reality, it was all an illusion.

Dark magic... Issac thought to himself. We'd best get out of here. I'm in no shape to fight and Leon can hardly take a hit from anything of a dark type of magic...

"I warned you," Talon said after he heard the girl hit Leon. He listened to the conversation with mild interest, The cyboag noted that some of the other patrons were watching as well. "I'll take the tab then." he said, "This place may be seedy as they come, but they don't take gold,"

"Yes we do!" someone called out from somewhere, "but only after the throat's been slit." There followed a general rumble of drunken chuckles.

"Lay off it you rabble of lawless-low-lifes," Talon replied. he motioned over to Isaic and company. "These three aren't worth it"

Suddenly distracted by the crowd of drunks, Leon glanced over his shoulder towards the rabble. "Heh, as if they'd last two seconds..." He held his right hand out, in his open palm appeared a small ball of fire. He then held up his left hand and there floated a ball of a cloudy ball glowing an ice blue. "Try anything, you'll learn what Icy-Hot can really do..." Leon grinned. While his powers weren't strong enough to normally deal with a crowd of enemies, he usually relied on his sword, however, the rules are different here. Not just anyone can use magic or powers it seemed.

Issac, feeling like he was in the spotlight of the bar suddenly, already had his hands hovering in position over his guns. He'd been dying to pull one out on someone and shoot, but he contained himself. Don't make yourself the bad guy... He reminded himself. I gotta find a shooting range later... I want to unload some lead on something.

"Come on, let's get outta here." He motioned for Leon and Isis to follow. "We still have to look into another place to live, that apartment complex wasn't good enough for you two, so let's find somewhere else."

Edited by DragonlordJT

Moonshine raised her eyes, and genuinely smile at him for a few moments before returning to her normal impassive look. She rifled the papers a bit, and then said "Before I give you your reward, Could you please make this face?" She paused and said "If you would, I would greatly appreciate it." She paused and glanced down to the papers and frowned "Actually I don't think that should be there either" And she brought out the marker and black out another piece of information. She went though it again and nodded, satisfied, and turned her attention back to Tegan. She waited hopefully.

Moira studied the skin that had been scarred by burns dutifully. She wasn't an expert, so they didn't tell her much.

"You might want to show those to my almost-brother. He's studying medicine, so he might be able to tell you something about how one can receive such marks."

Moira took a bit of pasta.

"It says I am mentally disturbed in my file, but unfortunately it lacks further detail. Mother is a brainchirugon and she says it's not something I can help, it's because a part of my brain is missing, which is helpful in explaining why there is an imbalance but not in how it manifests. I can tell you however that my emotions seem to be blocked. Everything else is just a consequence of that."

Moira took another bit of pasta.

"So if you never went to school does that mean you can't read or write? Do sums? Speak another language or play an instrument?"

Melodee nodded, mentally making a note of that. She really did want to know about her past, and her scars would be a good place to start. She looked at Moira with interest. "That's... Well, that explains a lot. It must to difficult though." She stabbed the pasta through the middle with her fork, but held it in the air, waving it around as she explained the situation. "Well, I can read and write, but I'm not very good. I'm guessing it's been around four years since I last went to school. I was twelve when I started living on my own. I know basic arithmetic, but I don't know any other languages. I must have learned a bit of piano before the incident, and I taught myself afterwards. I'm not bad, I don't think. Really, my voice is the focus of my musical talent. But, it's not so much of a talent than a..." She trailed off, leaving her sentence unfinished. The noodle slid off her fork's points and fell back onto her plate. She glanced at it then seemed to try to swing the direction of conversation another way while trying to twirl the pasta onto the fork. "So, your 'almost-brother'. What's his name?"

"And am I going to enjoy that reward?", Tegan asked doubtfully.

He looked at her then at the picture then back at Moonshine. He felt pretty frustrated and suspected he was going to regret it if he gave in to her demands.

But her hope tugged at him. He wanted to see her happy at least once during this night even if she was laughing at him instead of with him.

Tegan looked at the picture a second time, then shrugged.

His pleasant smile vanished from his lips and he did the grimace Moonshine had asked of him.

---

"Tommy." Moira took a sip of her juice. "Thomas Freeze.", she corrected as it occured to her that Tommy's nickname wouldn't be helpful to Melody. "He's the illegitimate son of my adoptive mother's husband. We have grown up together."

She was silent for a bit then she said. "I don't have a piano, but I am sure my friend Tegan could arrange something if you want to play. He is good at arranging things."