arlymaye

Messy Lineages

After my months long hiatus, I went through all my dragons, and got rid of the ones with horrible lineages. This includes a good 3-4 Golds, 5-6 Silvers, and an Alt Black.

I cannot stand inbreeding. Messy lineages annoy me too. I like my nice, clean lineages, with well matched mates.

If it is a breed I want then the lineage doesn't matter.

edit: Example. I caught this the other day because I wanted more embers. http://dragcave.net/lineage/Ekeh

Edited by rubyshoes

I have picked up some long-lineaged dragons, including my little Dorkface, and do not mind long lines if they are not inbred. My dear Lapis, just a little Water Dragon and one of my first four, is 12 gens and is named in part for a 2nd gen grandmother. I have returned other Dorkfaces to the AP as soon as I see that father bred to a daughter, (or son and mother) sometimes several times in an eggs ancestry. While I like the even gen dragons, and am building foundations for my own, they lose their beauty for me as well when they are built of inbreds. Sorry, but those just make me sick. I do not kill them, as that just seems cruel, but I don't want them on my scroll. They are sad and depressing, and that is not what the game is about for me. As I develop my collection, the challenge becomes finding the perfect mate to compliment that long, ragged lineage, and not degrade it. I also love staircase lineages, which can get wonderfully long, but always with a cb partner, so there is no inbreeding. So, inbreeding, NO, but long lineages, YES.

A CB, short linage or a long linage dragon all look the same. I don't breed much, and most of what I breed I keep. I do prefer CB's, but I have a few extremely long linaged dragons, and I really like them. One of them being an alt black that I watched get thrown back to the AP 5 or so times as an egg.

i dislike long lineages, as much as the next person i guess...but if it came down to it, a dragon is a dragon. i prefer to keep lineages short and clean but that is not always the case...

for metallics, lineage does not matter at all. i bred a long, messy silver recently but it's my first bred one in at least a year now so i love it still.

for commons, really depends. hatchlings, of course i'll keep no matter what lineage. hunting for a specific egg, i prefer CB or a short clean lineage. so i say half and half, i'll take what's given to me.

I keep all of my dragons regardless of lineage. I care about the dragon itself, not what its ancestry happens to be.

Lineages are just something I look through for fun when I have nothing better to do.

if people have a problem with it, they are welcome to divest themselves of "messy" eggs or hatchlings in whatever way they see fit.

Yes, skyie, but the problem we're talking about here is either overpopulation of the long lineages or just downright irritation with the long lineaged commons/uncommons that people hunt for and what low lineages.

I mean, when hunting rares or even uncommons it's understandable that long lineages are sometimes acceptable. But with commons, I feel that they are so many out there that it's just annoying to happen upon one, the have to abandon it because it's inbred/ long lineaged.

For example, blacks. This might not be as much of a problem because of the alt possibility, and how people keep long lineaged alts. But regular blacks, when hunting for them, people like short lineaged ones-- they're not very common in the AP, even though they are technically one of the common dragons of DC.

So if you happen upon one and you're hoping for a short lineaged one, its sort of bad if you get a long lineaged one and have to abandon it and start the hunt over again?

Yes, you can say that its a game, and I agree. They're only pretty pixels, nice things to collect, but part of the game is fulfillment-- as long as searching is not too easy but is relatively good, I'm happy.

What other folk do with their scrolls and breeding is totally up to them. I will not try to dictate how anyone else plays the game.

That said, I'm a bonified, certified, admitted Lineage SNOB. tongue.gif

I prefer caveborn over bred, and refuse to breed anything messy. I prefer pureblood over mixed bred, and only breed rares to one other breed of common. Exceptions being Dorkface and Thuwed lineage dragons.. and even on those, I am VERY picky. I also prefer even gen over step lineage, and try to find/breed matching even gen mates for any dragon I intend to breed. And with the exception of the Mayfair lineage, I do not ever inbreed anything.

When hunting the AP, the first thing I check on any egg/hatchling is it's lineage. Eggs with messy lineages are immediately thrown back to the AP. Hatchlings get checked with an inbreed checker tool.. messy but clean gets thrown back to the AP.. inbreds are frozen then released to the Wilderness to keep them out of the breeding pool. I caught it, so it's mine and I can do what I want with it.

In a perfect Cave, folk would only breed purebred and even gen.. but the Cave isn't perfect, so I just do what I can to breed dragons that are valued and wanted by others. And as a responsible breeder, I don't breed for no reason.. most of what I breed is for projects or special requests.. I don't just breed and abandon to clog the AP.

I keep all of my dragons regardless of lineage. I care about the dragon itself, not what its ancestry happens to be.

This, especially if said dragon is a gift.

I honestly don't usually care what lineage looks like unless it's a common I can catch myself as a CB (I prefer CB commons over bred ones, except in the case of BSA dragons, whose lineage I could care less about, period).

In the case of rares and metallics, inbred and mixed and/or messy is fine with me. A shiny is a shiny to me and I love all shinies equally, inbred or not. tongue.gif I have been given some shinies that are inbred and it doesn't matter at all to me. Every single one of my metallics, inbred and high gen or not, gets bred on a weekly basis, usually for gifts or me. tongue.gif

If you love it and look after it, it doesn't matter what a dragon's ancestry is like.

I prefer short or neat lineages since it feels more personal. It seems more likely that the owners of the parents / grandparents check to see how your egg is doing, if you named it, continued the lineage, or even if it got a description. Just kind of a cool feeling =)

I've got quite a few messy lineage dragons myself, but I won't breed them. It's more because of the severe problems with ratios, and that continuing to breed my stripes, blacks, etc. make it so fewer CBs will be born. Zat's no good.

I personally prefer short, neat lineages. I usually check for inbreeding manually before I turn to a fansite checker, and the long, messy ones are frustrating to me.

The longer the lineages, the greater the chance that your dragons could have ancestors in common and thus the greater the chance of accidental inbreeding.

Plus, they just don't look all that nice most of the time.

When they get long enough to stretch beyond the first lineage page I start finding them generally undesirable. I wish there was an indicator on the first lineage page that the pedigree was longer than what is displayed, or a generation number displayed somewhere.

I have plenty of dragons with lineages I consider longer and messier than ideal, and I love them the same as my cave-born and short-pedigree dragons, but I am generally less likely to breed them.

I usually limit my lineages when I'm hunting for commons/relative uncommons to this: when I click on the lineage page, if I can immediately see the egg at the bottom (on larger lineages you have to scroll down to see the egg in the middle) then it's a keeper if i really need it.

If i feel really picky/its for a lineage, I toss it again.

I have to admit, I'm pretty snobby when it comes to lineages as well. Clean, short, nice, concise, whatever you want to call it, that's me.

I've been deeply considering going through all my dragons and releasing some with very long, inbred lineages. A few are sentimental, but most are just me being new and not caring.

Back before the lineage tool made it so easy to reference a dragon's ancestry it was a lot of work to keep track of lineage. So it was also lazy on my part that so many of my dragons are from long messy lineages.

I'm not a fan of very long/messy lineages, and toss eggs from the AP right back if they have one. But I totally get the other side of this story too, the not really caring about lineage side.

Sometimes I'll keep a long-lineaged messy dragon - it depends on what it is. I've considered going through and getting rid of some of my self-bred messy metallics, though. A hoard is nice, but I'd rather have a hoard of nicely-lineaged golds than 15th-gen messy golds that I bred just to have a bunch of golds. I will hang onto my very first gold and my first AP-caught gold, though, just because they're so special to me. They represent pretty awesome achievements, after all.

I think the only inbred dragons I ever kept were purposely inbred.

Aside from that, I highly prefer dragons with nice lineages, interesting patterns, or purebred lineages. :3

I was asking me the same question yesterday!

I often hunt AP and click different eggs in the hope of a good lineage!

If the lineage is clean i dont care how long it is but yesterday i got some horrible ones and so much inbred with i dont understand why people breed a pair of the same dragon sprite and then abandon it...

when i breed cloud and cloud i get cloud... why do they breed this eggs with such horrible long lineages when they know they will abandon this?! i think this should be stopped!

if i catch a hatchie (that was not a trade) and i see it has a horrible and inbred lineage i freeze it!!!

Edit: horrible lineage to me is a total messy up and down with inbred and lots of different dragons and no named dragons und all this stuff..

but if a inbred lineage is beautiful ordered then i take it too i just dont like a messy one

(but if its a gold or silver i dont care about the lineage)

Edited by bunnylein

I don't care if the dragon is a PB even gen or one with long messy lineage or even if is inbred,if i find an inbred egg/hatchling i either keep it or i don't depending on if it was an egg/hatchling i wanted since i sometimes seems to to miss click due to lag in the cave.

At the moment I just want to have a mostly complete scroll with a male, female, S1 and S2 hatchlings of each colour and breed so I don't care if they are messy or inbred. I don't breed any with messy lineages though, so mostly plan to use them as my frozen hatchlings.

Whilst I can understand why people don't want/like them, I think they will always be floating around despite that, and some people may like them or not care at all. Besides, if we didn't have all those messy ones, the clean/short/pretty ones wouldn't be so sought after. wink.gif

Well, this is an interesting question. True, it's pretty annoying to go AP hunting and only find dragons with impossibly long and often inbred lineages. Still, it's everybody's own choice whether to breed dragons with messy lineages or not.

Personally, I try to not breed dragons with long lineages - unless it is for a private or group breeding project (like EPIC). The exceptions to that rule are my three metallics and my stripes. (After all, a stripe is a stripe is a stripe.) If I do breed them, I usually try to keep the egg, even if it's the "wrong" breed. Sometimes, I also vamp them to avoid breeding them further. Apart from that, I generally try to get dragons with shorter lineages or from the cave for breeding them instead.

Well first of all everyone is free to do with their dragons whatever they want. I'm not forcing people to stop breeding long messy lineages.

But that said, I'm crazy about lineages. For me, CB's have only one purpose, that is to create pretty lineages. I love creating pretties and if I find one on the AP that appeals to me I'm definitely keeping it. Sometimes it gives me an idea for a new project, like I don't have enough of those already xd.png

I never breed my long-lineaged metals anymore for the same reason someone mentioned before. If I'm getting that gold or silver egg, I'd want it to be a pretty one. I'm mostly breeding my commons and trios on request but sometimes I do get a breeding spree and drop some nice even gens on the AP tongue.gif

I´m also one of those short (as possible) lineage fanatics.

As I started with playing I didn´t care about lineages, but after a will I hated all those aweful long lineaged and often inbred dragons and I started to replace them all with short lineaged or CBs. I even kicked all the Dorkfaces and Thuweds off my scroll. rolleyes.gif

If new eggs are released I try to get only CBs now (if possible). I only breed the hatchies, because I don´t like freezing CBs, but also mostly 2nd or 3rd gen.

And I would not take an egg from someone if it has a too long lineage (not longer than 3 gens). Even if it´s a Gold or Silver, I would not breed them. xd.png

A friend of mine likes to go AP hunting for messy lineages purposely to bite them and throw them back to the AP. Unfortunately she often gets several dead eggs and can't continue then.

I was asking me the same question yesterday!

I often hunt AP and click different eggs in the hope of a good lineage!

when i breed cloud and cloud i get cloud... why do they breed this eggs with such horrible long lineages when they know they will abandon this?! i think this should be stopped!

if i catch a hatchie (that was not a trade) and i see it has a horrible and inbred lineage i freeze it!!!

I do the same, with eggs too - Have started taking from the AP and if its messy & inbred I hatch and freeze them, especially with the commons which is i.m.o a 'good' thing anyway - just don't always have enough precious space to do that wink.gif I would never freeze a trade or gift though.

As for "Stopping" people from producing Odd / Ugly / messy or inbred .. well. it's everyone's choice how they want to 'play' and what they do with their pixels I suppose even if I don't always like it! :-D