arlymaye

Messy Lineages

We all know that short lineaged dragons are very much sought after and appeals to more people than dragons with long messy lineages. In light of that, some people think that we shouldn't be breeding more dragons with those horrible lineages.

I understand that we all play this game differently and we can't dictate nor tell anyone to withhold breeding, should their dragons are 15 generations long. However, I just wanted to find some insight, to know if the act of breeding long messy lineage dragons is really so frown upon?

I must admit that I have a substantial amount of metallics with long messy lineages, some even inbred. I do breed them on a weekly basis in the hopes of obtaining a metal that I could gift out. This is not always successful of course, and I will also contribute a long messy lineage common dragon to the population along the way.

To some, a gold is a gold, irregardless of its lineage. If that is the case, is breeding heinous lineaged metals less offensive than breeding commons with similar lineage? Or would the purist look down upon this breeding act as well?

This has nothing to do breeding for lineage projects though, because those are in a different category all by itself. A long PB Even Gen Lineage - (Commons) for instance can be even more appreciated than let's say a 2nd Gen regular common dragon.

What do you think? Should people continue breeding their dragons irregardless of the length of a lineage or do you personally think that they should not? And do you breed those dragons yourself?

I have no opinion on this matter. As long as it's clean lined and rare/uncommon, I'm perfectly fine with long lineages.

Mine normally end up as zombie fodder :x I dislike short lineages as well, I

prefer CB

Generally speaking, there are always people who will be new to collecting dragons - and not every player is active on the forums where people discuss breeding, lineage & inbreeding.

For many people - probably the majority of players - having a better mix of dragon types is preferable than having a select few, 'perfectly' lineaged eggs from which to choose.

Should people continue breeding their dragons irregardless of the length of a lineage or do you personally think that they should not? And do you breed those dragons yourself?

Yes, they should breed them and yes, I do. smile.gif To me a dragon is a dragon no matter if it is CB, short lineaged, long lineaged or inbred.

I prefer short lineages, So I tend to not breed my longer ones. The only ones I do breed are my metallics... I don't mind the longer lineages on them... a silver is a silver. As long as it's clean, I'll breed that tongue.gif What bothers me is when people breed huge and hugely inbred lineages and drop them to the AP. But hey, I can't expect everyone to play like me.

I personally much prefer short, clean, even gen lineages. To this end, I no longer breed my long lineaged golds and silvers. If I'm going to get a shiny egg, I want it to be a short, clean lineage, whether I'm keeping it or giving it away. I rather wish other people felt the same, so that what golds and silvers are available to be bred would also be short, clean lineages. However, I fully realize that I can't dictate how others play.

I personally don't breed them. I don't like the look of messy lineages and so don't prefer to continue them. The only exception would be rares, Thuweds, and Dorkfaces. However, I don't care if others breed them. That's their decision.

The only messy lineages that I have ever breed are golds, some being very long with different levels of inbreeding.

I used to think that gold was gold no matter what but have had a hard time giving

them away so I haven't even attempted them nearly as often as I used to.

I have never been able to understand breeding to simply fill up the Ap with long lineage dragons that most of us would bite or freeze. If /when we get more slots I will probably bite non-gold offspring of those lineages since that spot won't totally lock me up if killed.

It really, really doesn't bother me. I mean, if they're allowed to be inbred without negative effects, why not? I mean, I try not to breed my inbred dragons, but my only Bluna and only male Split are. I have no opinion in the matter. As for the clean but long and messy lineages, perfectly fine - there's often some amusing names in there.

I personally much prefer short, clean, even gen lineages. To this end, I no longer breed my long lineaged golds and silvers. If I'm going to get a shiny egg, I want it to be a short, clean lineage, whether I'm keeping it or giving it away. I rather wish other people felt the same, so that what golds and silvers are available to be bred would also be short, clean lineages. However, I fully realize that I can't dictate how others play.

I have started to scale back as well in breeding my metal dragons with long lineages. Gifting them has become quite difficult, since even new players would rather shorter lineaged ones. I just abandon them via the departure thread and it's up to fate wherever they end up. I've got a couple that didn't even make it to hatchlinghood. sad.gif

I think that I'd appreciate it if people stopped breeding commons/even uncommons with long, horribly messy lineages. Usually for commons/uncommons I only take those with relatively clean lineages, so it comes as a disappointment when hunting if I have to abandon it.

But for rares, obviously I'm going to keep them no matter how long or inbred it is. So yeah, for commons and uncommons this'd be awesome.

I have started to scale back as well in breeding my metal dragons with long lineages. Gifting them has become quite difficult, since even new players would rather shorter lineaged ones. I just abandon them via the departure thread and it's up to fate wherever they end up. I've got a couple that didn't even make it to hatchlinghood. sad.gif

It took me 16 months to get my first gold and it was a long lineaged and messy and I didn't mind at all. smile.gif I breed all my golds no matter how messy/inbred it may be. smile.gif

Sorry to hear some of your departure babies didn't make it though. sad.gif I love your departures. smile.gif

I really don't care much about inbreeding or long messy lineages because it has no effect on game play. I don't care if people keep breeding these types of dragons and I actually think that as far as the rares go they should definitely keep breeding them to get more of them out there.

I still don't have any metallics - and I've been at this longer than many people with nice-lineaged ones. I'd take any inbred metallics that the picky people don't want. I don't understand the hatred of inbreeding. I mean, they're just pixels. Really pretty pixels....

I think part of what we are seeing with this, is people respect a well-planned lineage more than haphazard breeding. If only due to the sheer amount of time it takes to get one nicely done. That and as people catch up to having every type of dragon, its not much effort to get a messy lineage. It is a bit of effort to get a fancy one. So, to me, it's an evolution in how people play the game once they've finished the easier goals.

At some point, maybe it will be easy to get even-gens etc and it won't matter as much. Perhaps only the really, really long even gens will. Or those that have alts etc. Then the big messy lineages will become rare and people will collect that.

I'm rather fond of this fellow as far as long, planned lineages go.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/mS2Q

btw, for people saying no commons with messy lineages, what do you think the golds were bred to? xd.png

Granted, that can change a little soon but still...

Edited by Vhale

Truthfully I don't really care about a dragon's lineage for myself. If I'm looking to gift a dragon I'll try to get something short because I know that is what people prefer but if I like a certain type of dragon or I need a certain dragon to complete my scroll goals it's ancestry is meaningless to me. Long lineages can be very interesting to sift though when you're bored. It's fun to see what names others have given their dragons.

I mean, the only reason why most of us care about our lineages is that we are either fond of pretty looking lineages, or are planning on the possibility of trading, in which others are fond of nice looking/short lineages, so we should be too, in order to get a nice value for it.

For me, CB>Short, neat lineage>Long, neat lineage>Messy lineages.

I only keep 3 males and 3 females of adults of any breed, so if I want to breed them I generally toss the ones with lineages or messy lineages. I prefer having 3/3 of CBs, but I only really need 1/1 of CBs, so if it's a fairly rare dragon that would take a lot of effort to get a CB of, I generally don't mind having a few messy-lineaged ones. I just make an effort to not breed them, or, if I do, I freeze the offspring.

I think all dragons have value and since I'm not into trading at least that isn't something I worry with. As has been already stated, there are many more people playing the game then there are on the forums so it's my belief that there are more people who don't care about lineages then there are those who do. Just my thoughts of course.

Well, those of those not on the forums probably don't care about trade value either.

But I don't know, its a personal preference of most. A lot of my friends aren't on the forums and they like short/pretty lineages.

It is very much personal preference. I've talked to many people not on the forums who had never even looked at their dragon's lineage. *shrugs* When I started playing the AP didn't even really exist so most of us only had CB dragons. I've only been on the forums for about a year now so I am part of a good size group who didn't or still don't know about lineages. That micro section is what I base my observations on. Once we found out that you could catch eggs on the AP we thought the long lineages were just awesome simply because our dragons didn't have any lineage. One of the things that makes DC great is that there tends to be something for everyone. smile.gif

Edited by Sir Barton

I have a couple "messy" lineaged golds, but they're under 13 gens so I still breed them fairly regularly. If they were over 13 or inbred, I probably wouldn't, but they're clean and the lineages don't look terrible--even if I prefer even gens and PB or 2-3 breed lineages.

I hope to someday get CBs so I can give out nice, short lineaged metallics, but after all this time, I figure the chances are slim.

I think part of what we are seeing with this, is people respect a well-planned lineage more than haphazard breeding. If only due to the sheer amount of time it takes to get one nicely done.

Very well said. Whenever I hunt on the AP and caught a beautifully lineaged dragon, I have more intent in keeping (although it could very well be just an accidental catch and not the dragon breed that I was looking for in the first place) it and raising it even though it may lock me for days, I wouldn't mind. However, if I catch something that is just so hideous (to me), I don't have to think twice about ditching it. Which means, beautifully lineaged egg/hatchling really do have the upper hand in reaching full maturity.

Some replied and mentioned that they do not care for lineages, and that a dragon is just a dragon, irregardless of lineage. But how many (as far as forum goers go) would really keep a long messy lineaged dragon that they have no intend of catching in the first place, and get scroll locked by it for days? tongue.gif

Edit : I phailed at quoting ..

Edited by arlymaye