arlymaye

Messy Lineages

At a few days in when I first started playing, I didn't care about lineages. I found the dragcave wiki and looked at the dragons and decided to collect the ones I liked sprite wise. The lineage view option was a nice touch and for about a week or two I was interested in seeing all the different kinds of dragons in the lineage view. However, when I started interacting more on the forums I started to see a lot of nice clean EG lineages people were working on. It didn't only represent a sentimental value, but it had trade value too which got me into clean lineages, which also made me reevaluate my scroll goals. So now my scroll goal is to have no messy lineages and to have CB of all breeds you can catch in the cave, while holidays are strictly 2g. The only exception I have for messies are breeds I desire that I just /feel/ should be messy like Vampires, Neglecteds, and Zombies because the idea of having these as messy just makes it feel more of their breed than a "CB" one to me.

:3

I don't think of the dragons as collectables, I think of them as individual dragons, each with their own character and history. I'm not really concerned with the lineage at all. I do appreciate the work breeders put in to creating interesting/difficult/organized lineages, but I won't think less of a dragon due to its messy lineage. And there's no "right" way to play dragon cave, so I have no issue with other people creating or continuing messy lineages and I don't think there should be an obligation for that to be stopped.

Inbreeding makes me uncomfortable, though. But that's a separate issue.

Edited by Selm

I think the reason I don't care about lineages is that I'm an old relic who hasn't played for the last four-ish years (when, I'm pretty sure, we didn't have lineages), so I haven't really wrapped my head around what makes a good or bad lineage or why I should try for "clean" lineages. I'm sure I'll get wrapped up in it soon enough, haha.

I'm perfectly fine with messies on my scroll. Of course I wouldn't go out of way to get a messy dragon, but I don't freeze anything except for my bunny project. I usually breed my messies with other messies so i don't mess up a pretty lineage, but i wouldn't release any of my grown dragons. It's like abandoning a puppy because it is not a purebred. tongue.gif

Yes, they should breed them and yes, I do. smile.gif To me a dragon is a dragon no matter if it is CB, short lineaged, long lineaged or inbred.

Word!

The only really messy dragons I have are from when I first started and was trying to get at least one of most of the dragons. Now I'm ultra picky, or I simply won't breed a dragon with a bad line, or if i have a great and can't find a suitable mate. I even bite AP eggs sometimes just to make them unbreedables.

I used to collect dragons indiscriminately, but these days I'll only collect messy/inbred dragons for freezing and I'll only breed messy dragons on accident or if they're Holidays. Still, I have a fondness for odder lineages, so I will keep ones that tickle my fancy for freezing even if I'm otherwise disinterested in the sprite. Besides, it's nice to have a bunch of cute hatchlings on my scroll~

I have only one reason I hate messy lineages. One reason. I have to use the side scroll of my web browser.

Long lineages - love em. Even complex long lineages, like even gen. It's the messy ones where I have to look all over to find out who had babies with who and where did that purple dragon come from and oh look! it was a Thuwed all the time!

I just like to know at a glance that whoever bred my dragon was conscientious and deliberate, not just breeding haphazardly. None of those floozy indiscriminate sex machines on MY scroll!

Well, here's what I do... I took the oath, so I don't add to messy lineages. However, if it's a rare, or a common I don't already have on my scroll, I'll take a messy lineage off the AP and let it grow up. In fact, I'll take two or three messy adults, but after that, I'll freeze the hatchies in both stage 1 and 2 for hatchie armies... because hatchies are so cute anyway. Should I collect more of that breed and let them grow to adults, they will have to have neat lineages.

The only messy lineages I breed, I keep for myself (unless someone specifically asks me to breed it for them), and those are usually dragons with a BSA. Messy or not, they're useful as adults.

Long lineages - those are great as long as they're neat and uniform, doesn't matter what pattern of lineage is going on. PB even gen lineages that go on forever are awesome, but so are spirals and staircases, whether the dragon is metal or not. Shorter lineages are ok. I tend to want to add a pattern of some type to them, though. I think I like longer lineages better as a whole, so I'll add to whatever neat lineages I find. With prize dragons, I don't care how high their gen is, I'll keep adding to their lineages if they're clean.

Inbreeding - same thing. I'll just treat it like a regular messy lineage because I know lots of people don't like inbred or messy lineages. My main thing here is to gift people with neat lineages, so that's my whole reasoning behind all this.

I do keep to some personal rules for myself though... I never abandon anything and I name everything, even if it's got a long, messy lineage. I also won't freeze messy lineaged dragons that are gifted to me. I just won't breed my messies unless I need them for their BSA. I feel the same about releasing and killing anything. I won't do it do any dragon for any reason. I won't even use the green dragon's BSA for fear of killing my eggs, nor will I ever use the vampire's bite for fear of the same. I'd rather collect vampires than bite my own.

Since I'm new still, I won't even try for a zombie or neglected until I have a better understanding of how to go about experimenting and such. Even then... if I was confident that I knew what I was doing, I would use a messy for that, but not one that was gifted to me.

Edited for things I keep thinking of that I've left out.

Edited by LadyFoxfire

I like messy lineages - in fact, in most cases I actually prefer messies over short lineages or CBs, since they're more unique and they provide more inspiration for names. The only downside is that messy so often means inbred too, which I'm really against.

I also sometimes feel like messy dragons... need the appreciation more, if that's the right wording. If I pick a nice even-gen checker uncommon up off the AP, I know if that were to get thrown back someone would want it, but a Canopy egg with seven generations on one side, twelve on the other and half the available breeds in there doesn't have that same assurance, so I keep it.

Most of the time I just don't really care. They're my dragons and I love them.

I like short, clean Lineages.

If it's not a BSA Dragon and I like the Hatchling sprite I freeze them, if not I toss them back to the Ap.

I have quite a few messy ones myself but I don't breed them.

They annoy me ... xd.png I don't have a problem with inbred dragons as long as their lineage looks pretty. tongue.gif