arlymaye

Messy Lineages

I am ridiculously picky when it comes to lineages- I've ditched rares for not having ones I liked. Frankly, that's at least in part due to the fact that it isn't that difficult for me to get what breeds I want, so looking for "X dragon with a nice lineage" adds an extra challenge. Even when I first started the game and didn't really care as much about how messy a lineage was, I refused to keep inbred dragons. (And before we had lineage checkers, I went through them by hand. That was fun.)

I don't have the luxury of a fast server where I can grab anything at the Cave, even metallics, given enough time.

I have a very slow server and can't even do transfers SO if I happen to be gifted a metallic,rare or uncommon, no matter its lineage, I am very happy. I also like to breed my dragons and I breed what I have.

I don't like inbreeding, even with pixels. It's just kind of icky.

That said, I'm okay with long lineages without recent inbreeding. I find it oddly amusing to scroll...and scroll...and scroll through a huge lineage, and have to open new tabs to check if it goes off the page. I only have a couple dragons like that, but I'll breed them now and then for the lulz.

Most of my dragons, however, have shorter lineages. These are the ones I prefer to breed simply because it raises their chance of survival when they hit the AP. I have a couple even-gens projects running, but I have no interest in doing them exclusively because they're too time consuming.

I don't mind long, messy, inbred lineages. I feel bad for them because people toss them around so much. Like this little guy: http://dragcave.net/lineage/prLf . I just couldn't say no. xd.png I didn't care if it hatched alt or not, I just couldn't leave it there.

I do breed my messy lineaged ones on occasion, if I want that particular dragon.

Edited by LadyTwi

I don't care about lineage or inbreeding whatsoever, I breed whatever I want to breed whenever I want to.

I rarely ever look at the lineage of the eggs I pick up, because it just does not matter to me. However it is fun to find a dorkface or thuwed dragon on my scroll.

Some of those this-kind-of-dragon-may-only-be-bred-with-this-kind-of-dragon lineages seems almost like dragon racism to me. xd.png

I don't care about lineage or inbreeding whatsoever, I breed whatever I want to breed whenever I want to.

I rarely ever look at the lineage of the eggs I pick up, because it just does not matter to me. However it is fun to find a dorkface or thuwed dragon on my scroll.

Some of those this-kind-of-dragon-may-only-be-bred-with-this-kind-of-dragon lineages seems almost like dragon racism to me. xd.png

LOVE it ! Dragon racism ! And there I was worried about visiting the sins of the parents on the hatchies..... MY SO started an inbreeding project once but I don't know what happened to it...

I can see the beauty in any kind of lineage - be it inbred, messy, or even-gen - and have a mix of all kinds on my scroll. Usually I try and breed one or the other. I don't mix my even-gen projects with messy ones, but that's because I WANT the project to look a certain way. And as far as my inbred dragons.... that stays within the family (no pun intended).

One of my absolute favorite lineages is my 22nd generation dragon from the 5th Element lineage. It's got a horribly messy lineage, and it's technically 23rd gen, but the first generation isn't on my scroll or properly named for the lineage. But it's the line I was doing from the very beginning and is the longest line within the project. tongue.gif

I agree, and the name of "Elemental Tridecalogism" made my day. I love lineages like that.

As I've mentioned in my OP, long lineages from Breeding projects doesn't really matter since they are indeed very much wanted. tongue.gif In fact, people seek them out.

Another thing that I would like to point out is that long messy lineages with no inbreeding could be also a delight to find, albeit really hard to chance upon. smile.gif

I have a 12th gen long messy lineage gold dragon that is clean and finding a similarly lineaged lined common dragon to breed with him has been quite a task!

I pick up dragons indiscriminately, but I like getting the ones with long lineages. It's interesting to me to look through the family history, and see how many breeders and what types of dragons have contributed to the one I now own. I scroll through my dragons' children as well, to see which ones have started massive lineages. Kinda feel proud of them when they do. happy.gif

I am ridiculously picky when it comes to lineages- I've ditched rares for not having ones I liked. Frankly, that's at least in part due to the fact that it isn't that difficult for me to get what breeds I want, so looking for "X dragon with a nice lineage" adds an extra challenge. Even when I first started the game and didn't really care as much about how messy a lineage was, I refused to keep inbred dragons. (And before we had lineage checkers, I went through them by hand. That was fun.)

When I first started playing the game I didn't know anything about lineages (well known or not) nor was I aware of the inbreeding some of my dragons had. I removed i.e. released all the inbred dragons except for the pinks and reds which were kept for the bsa use. They are on the *never breed* list and will stay that way until I can eventually release them with replacements. I've become, over time, incredibly picky now that I had to basically start over losing about a third of my initial dragons. Whatever way you love to play it's always a challenge. If you're looking for long lineages certainly the ap has a great deal of them but it's a bit more challenging to find short gen dragon eggs there. I just take it as a hurdle I have to overcome in order to point my breeding program in the direction I'd like to see it go.

I remember when I first started playing, there wasn't any view-lineage page. Not even a lineage viewer on any of the fansites. A couple months after I started, the first lineage viewer that I know of appeared on the Jade Destiny fansite, and I was super-excited, and I immediately put in all my dragons' codes to look at it. . . .

Shortly after that, people began to request "no vines in lineage" for trades and things. That was the first I'd heard of people caring about lineages. It might have been going on before that, but it was the first I'd heard of it.

Coming from a time when a dragon was a dragon and lineage was unheard of, it's been odd watching the tide of popular opinion turn against inbreeding. Now, it feels as though a majority of people frown upon inbreds. They are "good for freezing," people say. "Zombie fodder," and even the ones that reach adulthood are "allowed" to grow up "anyways," "despite" their inbreeding. Often, people dislike it for its "ick factor." (I've heard the same thing said about homosexuals; people who've actually said to me horribly offensive words like "disgusting" and "sin against god" and "no sane person," and I flew into a tremendous fit of rage, and I vowed I would never ever decide things like this, ever.)

There was even someone, I'm not sure who, but it was a thread about releasing into the Wilderness. Someone said they released inbred hatchlings so that no one would be able to breed them, because people who would breed them don't "deserve" to have them. That made me pretty angry. Hatchlings being released just to keep them from players like me. Of course, once someone catches it, they can do what they wish with it. But somehow, it feels like there's one strawberry cake left at the store, and I like strawberry cake very much, but the person in front of me buys it and throws it away in front of me just to keep me from having it, because they think cake is disgusting, and people who would eat cake don't "deserve" to have it. Of course that is their right, but that is what it feels like.

I would say that there is no purely-rational reason to avoid inbreeding or long lineages. The resulting dragons are coded exactly the same. But when I know I will be dropping an egg (holidays, etc.), I defer to popular opinion, and I try to choose pairings that most people would find desirable. I guess it's optimal to breed what makes people happy.

I feel like one of the last players remaining who stubbornly loves inbreds the same as any other dragon, whose favorites are quite independent of lineage, who breeds indiscriminately, for my own scroll at least. Raising my voice in futile protest each time the topic comes up, and watching it be washed away like a flimsy little leaf on an overpowering current in a mighty river of disapproval. There are others, conservatives from a generation past, whose words fly by unseen (I love you rubyshoes and fuzzbucket) because people take "inbred=bad" for granted now, and speak of "clean" lineages without a second thought because it's become so widely accepted. Once upon a time, this would not have been so second-nature. Oddly enough, the conservatives of old are the more accepting.

But the coding stands with me on this one. So long as there is no penalty on inbreeding, I think I shall continue on my stubborn path, and continue to breed the dragons I most want to breed. If they happen to be inbred, then so be it.

Wow this turned into quite a rant. Two years worth of rant, to be precise within a month.

Edited by wobster109

I'm ABSOLUTELY with you, wobster. Let us be counted ! smile.gif

You aren't the only one wobster. I love all my dragons - inbreeding, long lineages, "messy" lineages don't matter to me. I actually wonder if it matters to the majority of the players that don't come to the forum.

I don't think there is too much to worry about as far as big lineages disappearing. I imagine the hardest long/even lineage to get would be a holiday. I started one last year, but I've had no takers to continue it. And if we can't teleport held eggs and can't use the AP code to give an egg to a person, even if I did find someone, it's possible I couldn't send it to them. So sadly, my stripey holiday lineage may be over as of this year. sad.gif

I think that alone shows that linages tend to be something you do when/if the excitement of just producing an egg fades.

I agree with all of what Webster said. I've never seen any reason to be all picky about lineages, since it doesn't change anything about the dragons.

Each of my dragons have stories for them, giving them families, pasts, and personalities. The personalities I give them are the reason I like my dragons, not their lineages. Why care about how their lineage looks? You don't need to look at the lineage if you don't like it.

My way of playing is "The more the merrier". I always use up my freezes, and I try to freeze ones with complicated lineages. I don't do freeze and release, as then the poor pixel dragon has nobody.

I try not to breed long-lined, unless it is for an inbred project. Although I didn't care when I started, I try to breed clean only if they are bound for the AP.

When I first started playing the game I didn't know anything about lineages (well known or not) nor was I aware of the inbreeding some of my dragons had. I removed i.e. released all the inbred dragons except for the pinks and reds which were kept for the bsa use. They are on the *never breed* list and will stay that way until I can eventually release them with replacements. I've become, over time, incredibly picky now that I had to basically start over losing about a third of my initial dragons. Whatever way you love to play it's always a challenge. If you're looking for long lineages certainly the ap has a great deal of them but it's a bit more challenging to find short gen dragon eggs there. I just take it as a hurdle I have to overcome in order to point my breeding program in the direction I'd like to see it go.

This ^ ...

Every time I pick up a 17th generation multiple-inbred Black or Vine egg from the AP or see such a similar Gold or Silver egg in the hatcheries - and that's very often, sadly! - I cry a little bit for the egg that could have been bred with nice lineage or even appeared in the cave, but didn't because of the ratios. sad.gif

You aren't the only one wobster. I love all my dragons - inbreeding, long lineages, "messy" lineages don't matter to me. I actually wonder if it matters to the majority of the players that don't come to the forum.

I feel the same. Dragons are dragons to me. I don't particularly care about lineage length or inbreeding, really. I've only ever really worried about it for a handful of dragons, and those only for personal projects, like the PB Ember line I'm working on, or the even gen split pair it took over a month to acquire. Otherwise, it doesn't much matter to me. I like my dragons for the fact that the sprites are pretty, not for who their great-great grandcestors were, and most of the time I don't even think about their lineages.

I doubt it much matters to many of the people who aren't on the forum either, honestly-otherwise there would probably be a far lower number of inbred and otherwise "messy" lineaged eggs on the AP.

I think it's fine to breed dragons with long lineages.

I often prefer it, even. It's nice to be able to trace a dragon's ancestry. ^^

I think the issue is not that anyone freezes & releases inbreds because they begrudge the dragon to anyone. These are usually over-commons, so if you're looking for a dragon of this breed, it won't be much work to find one that isn't inbred. wink.gif

Also I can hardly imagine that anyone minds inbreeding etc. whatsoever if the resulting egg stays on the breeder's scroll! What you breed for yourself is absolutely 100% your business.

The only point where "public opinion" matters at all is if the resulting dragons (or their children) ever appear on the AP. Because that is when the question comes up who wants such an egg.

Short/"clean" lineages eggs and CBs do get picked up more easily and have a better chance to find a loving home. Messy-lined or inbred commons often have a problem there, because clean-lined ones are easily available.

So, in the end, considering the lineage before breeding if you do not intend to keep any egg that may be produced is a courtesy to fellow players and the produced egg.

And looking at some eggs on the AP, I know their breeders didn't take the time to think about this. Because if you breed two messy-lined commons of the same breed and then toss the egg, I really don't quite understand why you bred that egg in the first place. To make someone else happy???

That being said, I actually don't hunt much. I want a CB of everything, but only as a means to create pretty lineages with them. Long lineages don't devaluate a pretty sprite, but I wouldn't know what to do with them. (I keep the ones that I originally caught, but I don't breed them.) Since my scroll-goal is mostly finished, lineages are what I do mostly. So I'd rather have dragons that I can use for them.

Or dragons that already have pretty lineages - and I'm very picky there. Just purebred/2-breeds/even gen alone doesn't do it for me. I like the really well-organized ones where I can see the effort it took to create them. Regular patterns, symmetric stuff, perfect gens. There, long lineages actually creates value, because of the effort put into creating them. And they're pretty. smile.gif

Edited by Lastalda

I have a few from when I was new, I don't breed those any more, except for a purple which I did accidentally breed recently. Generally I avoid doing so though.

So, in the end, considering the lineage before breeding if you do not intend to keep any egg that may be produced is a courtesy to fellow players and the produced egg.

And looking at some eggs on the AP, I know their breeders didn't take the time to think about this. Because if you breed two messy-lined commons of the same breed and then toss the egg, I really don't quite understand why you bred that egg in the first place. To make someone else happy???

No - for anyone who wants whatever common it is and who doesn't mind. If I pick up an egg in the AP, it's because I want one OF THAT BREED. So its lineage doesn't matter - unless I am breeding for someone who DOES mind.

I would bet that the majority of the people who pick in the AP don't give a toss. I know I don't. SO - I will also throw eggs I've bred there when they don't turn out as I hoped (like the purple ridgies I got when hoping for a tan one, and so on.) Anyone who doesn't like what they picked up is free to throw it back - it isn't even as if there's a wait ! So where's the problem ?

I'm a little obsessive, so I like to have nicely planned lineages for the most part, but I don't mind at all what everyone else does, lol. In fact, if everyone did what I do, it wouldn't be a challenge to find 2nd gen purebreds for even gen lineages or whatever, so I wouldn't have as much fun hunting.

When I pick up a messy-lined egg off the ap, I'm not all shaking my fist and the sky and shouting, "Arg, curse you bad breeder! You play irresponsibly and I personally dislike you!" -I just don't happen to keep that egg is all. wink.gif

When I'm on a biting spree, I tend to choose either eggs that I've bred myself, or the messy-lined ap eggs -but not because I want to kill them, just because I would want to keep and not bite them if they happened to be the kind of egg I liked.