arlymaye

Messy Lineages

All my dragons are meant to be mated and with at least a child. All. And my final goal is a dragon resulting from a colourful mix of all the breeds on DC.

2-breeds lineages are so boring...and people keep ruining my plans dropping loads of CB earths and 2nd gens instead of interesting eggs. dry.gif Luckily I find willing helpers accepting to breed for me.

However, I started an even gen version (but still very colourful) to find a use for all those 2nd gens disturbing my hunts. laugh.gif

Edited by Lizzyluna

~Eggspam Removed~[/url] super long and i can not make heads or tails of it xd.png

Edited by _Z_

~Link Removed~super long and i can  not make heads or tails of it xd.png

Don't post view codes, change it to the lineage one please.

Edited by _Z_

Personally, I only breed to gift short-lineaged dragons, but I don't mind at all getting long-lineaged (even inbred) dragons in trade or from the AP. I just tend not to breed them, but they're just as pretty on my scroll as their purebred cousins.

Some of my golds have long lineages but they're not inbred. I think an exception is made for the metallics regarding the length of lineage because they are indeed *rare* but I did release one of my first Golds because he was inbred (one common ancestor). In general, with rare exceptions I do try to stay away from creating longer lineages both because I'm a neat freak and also because I prefer them to be my lines and not lines from twenty different sources. Also, as noted, with the exception of a metallic there really is no demand in trade for anything that is longer lineaged with the caveat that famous lineages will draw interest i.e. Dorkface, Thuwed but mostly people tend to keep those for themselves or, at least, I haven't seen too many on the trading block. Everyone plays the game differently but in regard to myself for example I'll only take an egg off the ap if I can get lucky enough to get a 2nd gen. Most of the time they are longer in the lineage and I toss them back for someone else who would love to have them.

Yes, they should breed them and yes, I do. smile.gif To me a dragon is a dragon no matter if it is CB, short lineaged, long lineaged or inbred.

I couldn't agree more.That said - if I am breeding to gift, I do ask if the recipient would mind a messy lineage, as most of mine are - pretty bad smile.gif

But I do feel that one cannot blame the children for the sins of their forefathers - even if they ARE only pixels !

I released roughly 15 golds and silvers due to convoluted lineages and inbreeding... I really would prefer that only short gens/even gens/clean lines were bred so that we didn't waste (in my opinion) the chance of breeding a gold on messy ones...

but that is just me and the way I play...

/shrug

I don't much care about lineage in general, because I breed mostly because I think a pair of my dragons would be a cute couple.

However, I am a perfectionist. I want all my dragons to be as close to caveborn as possible. I've been lax on that lately, but it's something to work towards when there isn't a new release to collect. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a sprite I've been trying to get for a while just because its lineage is long and inbred.

I like them all. I like long messy lineages, because you can find some nice surprises in there. I caught a few Dorkfaces that hadn't been called that in a long time, but once I backtracked along the lineage they went back to good old Midas very nicely.

As long as they're the type of dragon I want, all the rest doesn't really matter.

I think what some people might be forgetting is that we can't breed rares with rares yet, which means that if you have a rare with a long, messy lineage and it produces a common, you've got a common like that. I don't tend to breed dragon types that are mostly unwanted, but some of mine wind up being common and long-lineaged.

Yes, I like short-gen. But it can be neat seeing all the other dragons mine is related to, and I like trying to have two of each type, more if they've got a BSA.

I like them all. I like long messy lineages, because you can find some nice surprises in there. I caught a few Dorkfaces that hadn't been called that in a long time, but once I backtracked along the lineage they went back to good old Midas very nicely.

That happened to me a few days ago smile.gif

I don't really care about the length of the lineage. It's still the same dragon, after all. And I like looking at those really huge lineages for some strange reason.

Like this girl:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/vO6P

I kept her purely because she had a ridiculously long lineage. xd.png

I prefer very short lineages, or CB. However, I didn't always feel that way. Now though, when I look back on my original dragons I cringe a little laugh.gif

The way that I feel now, I would never breed a long lineaged dragon, unless I am looking for a metal to gift, or if I know there is someone who wants it. Just how I play the game ftm.

long lineages = okay

inbred = okay

messy = not okay

theres certain breeds that i just cannot stand to see in the lineage page b/c of personal preference for the sprites

It's amusing. Back when I started playing, very long lineages were quite unusual, and sought after (because the site hadn't been around for very long, so most lineages were short). I didn't especially like inbreeding, but I would happily trade caveborns for dragons with lots of unique and awesome names in their ancestry. We also didn't have the Lineage button then; trawling back through lineages was something you did by hand, and I had quite a lot of fun tracing the lines back, especially when naming themes were carried through the generations.

Then I went on hiatus, and when I came back caveborn blacks - which had been common as dirt, so much so that I had only bothered to pick one up (in contrast, I'd kept twelve caveborn golds, and probably gifted/traded as many more) - were valuable, and all my beloved 10+-gen dragons with wonderful creative ancestor names were decried as "ugly".

So meh tongue.gif Both by preference and by stubbornness, I still like long lineages, provided they avoid egregious inbreeding and are nicely named (and if the inbreeding is deliberate and hilarious, that is also cool). I don't need to trade - I have every dragon except the Holly, and a lovely long-lineaged clean Holly has been promised to me for this Christmas - so breeding desirable trade-fodder is not a priority. I realize that at the moment my preferences are quite unfashionable, but that's okay wink.gif (I do have my own personal lineages, some of which adhere to current standards of "prettiness" and some of which do not; since I'm breeding those lines purely for my own enjoyment, I don't especially care what others think of them.)

It's amusing. Back when I started playing, very long lineages were quite unusual, and sought after (because the site hadn't been around for very long, so most lineages were short)

I remember that too! The longer the lineage the better.

There were very few people who cared about inbreeding because you had to do a visual check of the lineage yourself.

Now people are all about CB's and short lineages.

I personally have inbred dragons, but I don't breed them, even my metallics. When I find an inbred egg I abandon it, or freeze the hatchling.

I remember that too! The longer the lineage the better.

There were very few people who cared about inbreeding because you had to do a visual check of the lineage yourself.

Now people are all about CB's and short lineages.

I personally have inbred dragons, but I don't breed them, even my metallics. When I find an inbred egg I abandon it, or freeze the hatchling.

Yeah... I used to consider myself picky because I *did* patiently hunt all the way back through the lineages to check for inbreeding. But I wasn't very interested in caveborns, because they were all identical and (at the time, for me) easy to catch; there wasn't anything unique and interesting about them (unless they had awesome codes). I picked up caveborn metallics for my black/gold and vine/silver lines, because the lineage themes/backstories required it, but mostly I wanted dragons with interesting and unique parent/ancestor names or breeds. I did always like lineages with rare x rare, zombies, hollies etc - because my criterion was uniqueness - but a long lineage with all the dragons named after Wheel of Time characters, for example, satisfied that criterion just as well.

I breed my metallics when I bump into someone who wants a metallic (and if they're willing to take an inbred, I will gladly breed my few inbred golds/silvers - if I get a common egg, it just goes to the AP and I don't care if it dies). Apart from that, these days, I mostly just breed the ones I'm using for my own lineages. I'm only online sporadically and don't really have a fixed breeding schedule.

My understanding is that the Rare Trading thread limits some types of dragons to short lineages (such as the Dorkface lineage) simply because it's only the early generations of that lineage that are rare; as you go down the generations, there are more and more with that descent on each level.

And so that isn't a statement that long lineages are bad in general, just that only the higher levels of a prized lineage are scarce.

I have a few very long lineages. It's all good, as are my inbreds! I personally don't have a problem with either - they're all gorgeous dragons.

Long as there is no inbreeding, I don't really care how long the lineage is. Long lineages show history, and it is nice to see many different breeds of dragon from many different breeders coming together to make an egg. My first Dorkface has a long clean lineage and I don't hesitate to breed her, or her daughter. If people don't want the eggs, then they are free to toss them back to the AP for someone else to pick up.