kenderbard

Scroll Separator

Support!

I liked the idea of files (though perhaps a simplified version of it) but if that's not possible, then I'd love to see something like this too. However it's done, I'd simply like a way to group dragons that are part of lineages or CBs or whatever else. So yeah, support, support, support!

Though the reason that I preferred files was the fact that we could have the same dragon in multiple places. So if it's a holiday dragon AND part of a lineage, it could appear in both. But if we can't have that, then a separator like this is the next best option I think. smile.gif

this would be nice. though also, how bout a title spot on the divider line, that you can change to label each section, like "lineages" "inbreds" etc...

This would be one of the most useful sorting options ever biggrin.gif

I support this idea, at the moment the majority of dragons I have are CB but it would be great to be able to separate them later when I start on some breeding projects I have in mind, even if its just a fancy line I would love anything to help make my scroll more organised.

The above post reminded me... It would also be really handy to have this to separate CB dragons, like EmmieSage said. At the moment, all my CB dragons have "CB" at the end of their name and I'd really like to not have that there, but if I don't, it makes it really hard telling which are CB and which aren't without going through all of them. I know there are a lot of other people who name their dragons based on whether they're CBs or after lineage projects or whatever, but having something like this would allow them to give them more personalized names instead, since they could use the separator to determine which dragons are which. smile.gif

Also, just being able to give a couple of words as a title to each section, such as "Cave Borns" or "Lineage Projects" would be really handy too.

I'd love to have any sort of line, tab, folder, etc. It is so hard for me to keep my dragons organized now that I'm getting more and more of them. I was just thinking earlier, "I want to breed some of my tinselfails. Wait, which ones were my tinselfails again? ....I'd have to go through all of my dragons to find them, and in the end, I still probably wouldn't find a pair that would make a pretty lineage...."

I feel like I have no idea what I have because I dont have any sort of extra organization.

I LOVE this idea. I don't have an enormous amount of dragons, but I have enough it's brain hurting. This would rock for us that want to start a breeding project, armies, or such. I have so much support for this (If it's not overly complicated to do, of course)~ <3

I have a million google docs that have links to certain dragons with certain lineages, uncompleted spreadsheets for breeding pairs, so much I just give up. This would make my DC life sooo much easier.

YES PLZ! xd.png

I wouldn't use a line (or a tab) but as long as it was optional, I don't have any objections to a line.

Agreed. As long as it's optional (since I probably would opt out).

this is the treed im looking for i agrre with the others such a siparation is totaly useful!!!!

I guess the only real problem with this is that it will become even less predictable what people see on other people's scrolls. (Someone who hates tabs has a heart attack from visiting someone else's scroll that is organized that way.) Or would everything default to your personal setiings (like dragons/page does) when viewing someone else's scroll?

I think that dividers are the most neutral and universal way to provide this functionality. You could even have some way to unlock or "catch" particularly nice divider styles (without catching anything, you get a line the color of your text color -- or maybe just gray -- with a little textbox in the middle).

^ Everything about this would be absolutely perfect. Yes, I know we have custom sort, which is handy for people who have less than 50 dragons such as myself, but what about those who've hit more than 500? sad.gif

It's considerably harder for them to find their dragons, even if they've given names to each and every one of them.

I personally don't think adding this to current code would significantly increase loading time, at least not in majority of high-speed/broadband internet (I use satellite, so my connection is rather slow.) Moreover, it's a great way to organize your stuff, albeit simple.

The way I see it, the line might have a slight flourish, to fit in with the entire scroll theme. smile.gif

I have over 1k dragons, sorted in a way that almost anyone could find what they were looking for. I use hatchys for sorters, but as most of my pairings are set pairings, i pretty much know my dragons by code and names..

Im not against the idea of a seperator, but to issue blanket statements such as "It's considerably harder for them to find their dragons, even if they've given names to each and every one of them. " is a bit of overkill. If a person were to spend as little as two hours getting their stuff in order, its not hard to find things from there.

My scroll is set so all show at once. the sort order is: unsorted, with a custom rainbow, by pairing and gen. I spend less than an hour a month maintaining my sort. Starting from scratch, it takes about three hours to get everything in order (including my lyric armies).

protip to being lazy: first time setting it up, breed sort, then do legacy to get them in the order you want, then custom to drag the pairings together.

Matinence: legacy, add the new ones to the bottom of each breed, then custom to put the cbs at the top.

I find that by keeping them sorted by gen, and because i know what gen specific dragons are, I can find the length of lineages i need rather easily. Since i always breed starting with the males, i just go to the section, and open the tabs at once. The only time i cant find specific dragons, is the rare times i breed off dragons i never breed anyhow.

Those of you having a hard time with keeping track of specific types of dragons for breeding: grab some cave blockers you dont necessarily need, and use them for seperating. if you put them at the bottom of each breed (between the ones you wat to breed and your "bad lineages" you will always know "dont breed what shows up under the balloon" or whatever.

I imagine that you would see scrolls based on your OWN settings, no ? Like the number of dragons we see now ?

I didn't bother reading through the pages, but I do wish to imput how I imagine this.

The scroll separator would be completely optional, and essentially be like a real dragon when you resort your scroll. The seperator would have several optional designs you could choose from, and you could add in a title as well. You could add and remove seperators at your lesiure, but once you've deleted a seperator, you have to recreate it.

I don't know if the coding for this will be easy or hard, but this would be an amazing addition. I believe we are all agreed that this is a good idea, so naysayers step up now or we go pester TJ.

I didn't bother reading through the pages, but I do wish to imput how I imagine this.

The scroll separator would be completely optional, and essentially be like a real dragon when you resort your scroll. The seperator would have several optional designs you could choose from, and you could add in a title as well. You could add and remove seperators at your lesiure, but once you've deleted a seperator, you have to recreate it.

I don't know if the coding for this will be easy or hard, but this would be an amazing addition. I believe we are all agreed that this is a good idea, so naysayers step up now or we go pester TJ.

We can do that?

I would like the idea, mostly to separate my Gens and certain Other dragons. Right now even with the current sorting on scrolls, it's a mess to me!

I would be equally happy with either an insertable divider line (preferably one that's bold/dark enough to be seen easily while scrolling), or with the ability to insert a page break.

Maybe especially the page break, because 1. it would be really easy to put separate projects each on their own page, and 2. until you filled up a page, you'd be loading fewer images per page, which would make my browser happy.

But I could live with a simple divider if I had to.

-bumpness-

Im on the edge of frustration when it comes to finding dragons for lineages etc. I use guardian dragons and their names as dividers! I love the whole idea of a horizontal line divider with the option to add/remove them and add title thingers. Really hope this gets created <3.

YES, I need this so bad. Then I could sort my lineage projects, favorites, etc. and actually find the dragons I'm looking for.

I went back through this thread to see if there was anything similar. I saw a couple of sorting ideas but not this one.

Something I'd like to see is an option to add a "Border Line" between dragons.

Maybe a button that simply says "Add Line" when you go into Custom Sorting.

Although I do like the sorting options we already have, sometimes I'd like to be able to separate my special projects or currently breeding dragons from the rest of the same type dragons in a better way than simply moving those to the top and then the rest of the dragons immediately below.

It offends my OCD (to see a mish-mosh of dragons when I open my scroll.) xd.png

Then, when I sort using custom sort, I could simply drag the lines wherever I wanted them to create a sort of corral to hold in certain dragons and separate them from others.

I don't want to be greedy but it would be even more amazing to be able to add a short phrase within the separator such as "Currently Breeding" or "Gold/Black Staircase Project".. OH! And different colors to choose from. ::cough cough::

Anyway, that's what I'd love to see.

Shaze

No tabs. I do not support.

I support the original idea for scroll dividers, but only if we can add custom titles to them.

I would not use plain, albeit decorative scroll dividers without the ability to customize them.

I really want to be able to sort my dragons. The more I get the harder it is to sort, especially as my scroll goals and priorities shift.

Very few people seem to have any objections to simple sorting. To sort between those who want tabs and those who want lines, I don't imagine it would be very hard to code so that you chose how to view groupings of dragons. A simple option in settings:

View groupings in: TABS

LINE SEPARATORS

And of course if you don't want to group your dragons, then don't use the feature. I do think that even if you choose not to group you should view the groupings of others (the line separators would cause little change on viewing other people's scrolls compared to now) as half the point of sorting is so others see your dragons as you wish them too. I don't think you should be allowed to ignore that any more than you should be allowed to view all users scrolls as a rainbow sort.

A simple title with a character limit (50 should be easily enough) would be I think necessary, but I think all separators should be the same style (maybe a choice of fancy or plain, which applies only to how YOU view them) and the same colour. It needs to be simple and unobtrusive so as to suit as many people as possible, including those who wish to mostly ignore it.

I'd also like to see "dragon pens" or something similar. I'm still only at bronze level, but I've seen the scrolls with like 10 pages, and I'm scared of how messy things will get once I have a ton of dragons! The only way I can sort things now is by giving all the dragons associated with a project the same first name, so at least I can find them alphabetically. But I'd like to have more freedom when naming.

I love this idea. My scroll isn't very big but I hate how messy it looks. I like tabs more than lines. Perhaps both could be options. This should be entirely optional, since some people like the traditional scroll look.

I was thinking it should look something like this:

user posted image

What do you think?