tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

If we did have a simple message, not a pop-up/confirmation page, then you're just going to get people who go "Well, make it a pop-up! It's not my fault I was sick and tired and didn't notice the extra text!"

EDIT: Now, if there were a way to say "Yes, I want a pop-up reminder" or "No, I'll take my chances counting myself" then that would be good for everybody--use it if you like, don't use it if you'd rather not.

And then there would be people going "I didn't see the text, and I didn't know you could change it to a popup!". Just like people who ignore the no-aid message, or who say they don't know such-and-such even though it's in the Terms... there will always be people complaining about things. Always.

I'm for this, but not like the sickness pop-up. Maybe it could be on the breeding page. I've only done it once, with a Thuwed electric. O_O

I want someone to come in the morning and gently wake me up

I want someone to come and brush my teeth after Im up

I want someone to make me a sandwich and feed it to me

When Im drunk I want my car to prevent me from driving

I dont fell like clicking for breeding nor checking when can I breed, I rather have someone else do it auto for me

I dont want to go hunting in the cave I rather write down the eggs I want and someone will bring me a bunch of cb golds

I dont want to put my eggs into hatcheries nor check for sickness, I want someone else to do it for me

See where I am going with this ?

Boo hoo, I dropped an egg into an AP but its not my fault that I'm toooo damn lazy, why do I actually have to do stuff ???? It makes no sense rolleyes.gif

If you cant accept the tiniest responsibility of checking your limit when breeding, just dont play the game at all dry.gif the easiest soulution in my humble opinion...

Might be harsh but it is the truth....

If you are going to argue on the account of laziness, then you should be against lineages and progeny charts. People are more than capable of keeping track of those, and yet we have them on site for convenience.

It's more than just being lazy. Was I being lazy when I was sick and accidentally bred a silver egg without realizing I was already at my max? No, I was not. Having a simple miscalculation to screw up a whole process is not being lazy. An honest mistake is not from being lazy. Helping people to avoid that mistake, to avoid the frustration and self criticism, is more than a good thing in this case. Making it out to "Oh, you're just too lazy, stop playing the game" is quite rude. People have their reasons. Putting this message would only help people, so I don't find any reason very convincing for why it shouldn't be implemented. It's not about accepting responsibility for what happened. I accepted it was my fault for abandoning that egg, but it wasn't like I was aware of it before it happened. If I had a simple reminder to say, "Oh, by the way, you can't keep this egg," I would have backpedaled and gone, "D'oh! Silly me, count your eggs more carefully next time!" But then I wouldn't have to go through some painful process of losing something I worked hard for.

As for the "people benefit from your mistake", how do you know they're "less fortunate"? What if you were a person who was trying to breed yourself one more gold out of that one gold you worked so hard for, but for a stupid human error you didn't see before, it got auto-abandoned and someone with over a thousand dragons picks it right up? You never know who that egg could be going to, unfortunate or not. And if that egg was supposed to be meant for someone else, then no, I don't agree that it's beneficial.

Besides, it's not like that's the only way people can get rare eggs. I've donated several of my tinsel eggs to the AP, and I'd still like to have some sort of message in case there's something special I'm saving for.

Some people like breeding to have the eggs auto abandon. It's easier than singly dumping each egg off onto the AP. Another pop up message would be really annoying. So I say no, unless there was some way to be able to turn the thing off.

No to the scroll-lock warning because this is exactly what I use scroll-locking for (that and collecting eggs til I'm locked, of course xd.png).

No to the scroll-lock warning because this is exactly what I use scroll-locking for (that and collecting eggs til I'm locked, of course xd.png).

And if it wasn't a pop up, like we've been discussing, how would it affect you?

Hmm. I think it would make things too easy for us. If you don't know if you can keep another egg (due to dead eggs or something), just go to the AP and grab one random egg from there. If you get the message that you are already overburdened, don't breed.

Perhaps instead of a popup, it could just be some text on the page?

Or even on the Breed action:

Too subtle?

If ~!~'s suggestion was optional, (even though it doesn't want to copy in complete form, lol) what could be the problem with having some sort of notification available for those who'd like it?

Plenty of people seem to drop Tinsels (and other nice) eggs to the AP, and I know that I can often find something on the AP, even being slow and missing most of the hatchies and ER eggs arriving there.

I recently even caught a Tinsel on the AP, to my utter shock and amazement.

Why would we need to depend on gaining some slim chance of benefit from the misfortune of others when so many people gift, either specifically or randomly?

We have warnings for Influence and abandonment - why not for breeding autos?

Edit: The Tinsel breeder's scroll-name was Judith_666 but the user-name was not, unfortunately, the same, so the PM I tried to write in checking that it was a deliberate drop and not a mistake couldn't be sent.

The scroll had no eggs that I could find on it, so it didn't seem likely to be an auto, and I mentioned the circumstance on the Congrats thread, in case the breeder might see it and PM for its return, so all I could do was wait and see.

fuzzbucket, if that was yours: I'm so sorry, but that dragon was re-gifted as a hatchie to someone who had trouble getting online, so if it makes you feel any better, she's ecstatic over it...

Edited by Syphoneira

We have warnings for Influence and abandonment - why not for breeding autos?

This times ten thousand. The site already has warnings for the dumbest things. We might as well have a warning for something that could actually be a pain if we screwed it up.

I recently even caught a Tinsel on the AP, to my utter shock and amazement.

Maybe it was mine. I bred one with wild enthusiasm for a friend, the moment one of mine grew up, when I had failed even to THINK about counting....

My immediate reaction (after the Very Rude Word) was "That will make someone very happy, anyway..."

I do think there are being an awful lot of "let's make it all EASY" suggestions lately....

I am a curmudgeon, though.,... xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I need this...I almost set back my ultimate Spitfire EG project AGAIN by forgetting about that dead egg...

Maybe it'd say:

Breed- Breed this dragon with a female, producing up to four eggs. Warning- you are locked.

I'm against this. I've auto'd as many things as the next person, but it's the user's responsibility to keep track of how many eggs they have.

I like this idea. It's really easy to forget about a dead egg or a vamp fail. Especially if you don't keep track of the exact time you did it. I've lost eggs before when I thought the egg was killed yesterday morning but it was actually done just past noon, and I was about 20 min away from being unlocked sad.gif

It doesn't necessarily have to be a message specific to when you're breeding even. I'd be fine if it just told you somewhere on your scroll that you are currently locked and cannot get new eggs/hatchies. Kind of like the sick egg warning at the top.

I think this is a good idea! I lost a magma egg because I had thought that the time limit on the dead eggs I had (from vamp bites) was up...turns out it wasn't. sad.gif This would have come in handy! xd.png

It'd be very useful and wouldn't hurt anyone to add an extra line of text to the breed page or breed action link saying that you won't be able to keep any more eggs you breed. Summing up the arguments I've read/come up with for it:

For those who are tired, didn't check, or have a vamp fail taking up space that they miscalculated, that line will help them realize that they're locked, and oops, don't breed now.

For those who are purposely breeding while locked so the eggs will autoabandon, they can ignore it and go right on to breeding. It's not an extra popup or anything, it won't slow them down.

If we have a password-input page to incubate or use fertility, why not have a warning on breeding? Yes, we shouldn't hand everything to the users on a silver platter, but if we're warning them that their eggs are sick, why not warn them that they're locked?

It makes sense RP-wise. If you were a dragon and your human buddy wanted you to make shiny babies for them, and you knew they had too many eggs to care for and would have to abandon it, wouldn't you remind them just in case they weren't aware?

The arguments against it seem to be that its your own fault that you didn't check, that it's making the game too easy, and that it'll keep rare stuff off the AP.

It's your own fault you didn't check if your eggs are sick, too, but we have a warning for that now and nobody's complaining.

The users aren't just being lazy and it isn't making it too easy. This is often a common honest mistake or a result of being tired, sick, or overly eager to breed, and why should you want them to suffer for it?

The rare eggs are not really a concern. When the AP-trading glitch was disabled, people were whining about the same thing, but I still see tinsels, trios, dinos, and metals crossing the AP as a result of being deliberately abandoned, not just from autoabandons. And if you can't be satisfied with AP rares unless they're at someone else's loss rather than their generosity, then I worry about your mental health.

With this post, I say I am strongly for this suggestion in the form of additional text. A popup that can be disabled would be fine with me too, but the text is simpler and has fewer downsides.

Guys, I may be misreading, but i really hope you arent suggesting pasword locking the breeding action. If i have to put my password in for every breeding i do (and still not get an egg) I really would give up on this game. I dont believe that a warning for this is necessary, I mean really, the point of things auto abandoning is to allow others to have a chance at the eggs. If you are breeding the important pairing that you really dont want to lose the egg from its not that hard to hide adults and count, or use the egg counter. You could also simply open any hatchery with the add scroll feature and see exactly what you have. Yes accidents happen, but if you really cared about the specific egg that might auto, you really should check first.

If the warning comes up, great. People will appreciate it. Me, i would ignore it as much as the other things I have on my screen i have no use for.

edit: btw i purposely breed to the ap when i do my tinsel/metal breeding sprees. I reserve the shorter gens for that. I would be much less likely to do it if i had to deal with a pop up or anyhting warning me. Basic line of text though, sure, i'll be ok with that.

Edited by Thuban

@Thuban: I don't think they're suggesting adding a password to the breeding action--I'd be against that too. But I totally agree with everything TheCompleteAnimorph said and am in support of this idea.

ETA: I think just a basic text warning on the actions page would be great.

Edited by MissVampire13

I personally am against this idea, sure, it will be nice if we were reminded that were locked, but isn't that....the POINT of the game? To make sure were unlocked before we grab/breed? To make sure we raise our dragons/etc.? Sure, we have that egg sickness notice now (FYI, I was against that too, but I didn't complain when it was implemented) but I don't need to be TOLD how to play this game every step of the way.

Want to know if your next egg will be abandoned? Check the egg limits page. It was put there for a reason. In fact, there is a whole help section dedicated to this. TJ was sure to point out the egg/hatchie limit numbers in the News thread.

http://dragcave.net/help/egglimits :

The first is a limit on the number of eggs you can have at any one time. If you have too many eggs, you will be unable to grab more, and any new eggs your dragons breed will be abandoned automatically.

I've always thought that when you have an egg autoabandoned, it should teach you a lesson and people learn from their mistakes not to do it next time. That shiny or rare that you accidently autoabandoned IS the "Hey, watch out and be more careful" message.

Want to know if your next egg will be abandoned? Check the egg limits page. It was put there for a reason. In fact, there is a whole help section dedicated to this. TJ was sure to point out the egg/hatchie limit numbers in the News thread.

Not everyone knows that the egg limits page exists, you know. I sure didn't before this thread came up.

Yes please, a warning would be nice. I lost the second black stripe I ever got (it was bred) because of a darn abandoned-pile-rescue storm egg. x.x

Not everyone knows that the egg limits page exists, you know. I sure didn't before this thread came up.

So im guessing now you want a message that says "Hey, check out how to play this game by clicking the big-and-obviously-there-Help link! (on top of EVERY page)"

So im guessing now you want a message that says "Hey, check out how to play this game by clicking the big-and-obviously-there-Help link! (on top of EVERY page)"

No need to insult me. I was just saying. Not everyone knows the egg limits page exists and not everyone is going to go out of their way to check it if they're trying to breed and think they have an open spot.

No need to insult me. I was just saying. Not everyone knows the egg limits page exists and not everyone is going to go out of their way to check it if they're trying to breed and think they have an open spot.

Sorry, I didn't mean to.

Butttttttttt, according to what you said before, you said that not everyone knows about the egg limits page, however, this is also on the forums too (when TJ was announcing the release of the new features). Go ahead and hate me for assumptions, but I find it quite hard to miss both (considering 1. Every time there is an announcement, the link is posted on the main forums page and 2. It stays there for a while)

Edit: Also, if someone was trying to breed something that they REALLY wanted, and yet don't want to "going to go out of their way to check it", then they can't really complain if it's abandoned right? tongue.gif

Edited by Xythus