tridymite

Message that eggs will Auto=AP

Want to know if your next egg will be abandoned? Check the egg limits page. It was put there for a reason. In fact, there is a whole help section dedicated to this. TJ was sure to point out the egg/hatchie limit numbers in the News thread.

I've always thought that when you have an egg autoabandoned, it should teach you a lesson and people learn from their mistakes not to do it next time. That shiny or rare that you accidently autoabandoned IS the "Hey, watch out and be more careful" message.

The egg limit page doesn't include the dead eggs, which seem to be the most common cause to accidental autoabandon. Also, since just about anything else you do with your dragon a part from breeding requires a password, why can't we just have that for breeding with "Currently locked" or "Currently unlocked" above the password? I very highly doubt that the little reminder will decrease the appeal and fun of DC at all. And the autoabandon is more like the consequence than a warning, especially when it involves rares.

Not to mention there are spacy people like me playing who see the number of eggs, know they are locked, but try to breed anyway and get all confused as to why they didn't keep their egg. (Yes, this has happened to me many times before! xd.png)

Edited by Nogard145

Sorry, I didn't mean to.

Butttttttttt, according to what you said before, you said that not everyone knows about the egg limits page, however, this is also on the forums too (when TJ was announcing the release of the new features). Go ahead and hate me for assumptions, but I find it quite hard to miss both (considering 1. Every time there is an announcement, the link is posted on the main forums page and 2. It stays there for a while)

Edit: Also, if someone was trying to breed something that they REALLY wanted, and yet don't want to "going to go out of their way to check it", then they can't really complain if it's abandoned right? tongue.gif

Not everyone frequents the forums either. smile.gif Gotta remember those guys with no say here, right?

Sure they can. People will find a way to complain about everything. tongue.gif

In all seriousness, though, I've had off-site counters get my egg and hatchling numbers wrong before and don't have much faith in the on-site counter either. (Does it even take into account dead eggs?) And there have been times when I've counted and double-counted and triple-counted and still get it wrong for whatever reason (I'm sick, distracted, or, most recently, images refusing to load with decent timing). I would very much like some sort of something telling me, "Hey, you won't get to keep this."

It's funny how the age-old argument of, "I should be able to control what happens to my dragons' offspring!" hasn't come up yet in this thread.

Edit: Also, if someone was trying to breed something that they REALLY wanted, and yet don't want to "going to go out of their way to check it", then they can't really complain if it's abandoned right? tongue.gif

Yes they can, what if they forget there's an egg limits page or never saw it or something and have a failed vampire bite locking them that they don't think counts anymore even though it still does? People make mistakes, and I think helping them to avoid mistakes is a good intention, and this'll be a good way to show that good intention. Are you really going to be negatively affected in ANY WAY if this is implemented? If not, then why are you against it?

The egg limit page doesn't include the dead eggs, which seem to be the most common cause to accidental autoabandon. Also, since just about anything else you do with your dragon a part from breeding requires a password, why can't we just have that for breeding with "Currently locked" or "Currently unlocked" above the password? I very highly doubt that the little reminder will decrease the appeal and fun of DC at all. And the autoabandon is more like the consequence than a warning, especially when it involves rares.

Not to mention there are spacy people like me playing who see the number of eggs, know they are locked, but try to breed anyway and get all confused as to why they didn't keep their egg. (Yes, this has happened to me many times before! xd.png)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against this idea. I personally think people should be responsible and check themselves, but I would be more "OMG YAY" for this idea if it can be closed or checked off or something so that I don't see it.

Yes they can, what if they forget there's an egg limits page or never saw it or something and have a failed vampire bite locking them that they don't think counts anymore even though it still does? People make mistakes, and I think helping them to avoid mistakes is a good intention, and this'll be a good way to show that good intention. Are you really going to be negatively affected in ANY WAY if this is implemented? If not, then why are you against it?

I'm not against it, please read above post. I just have a strong preference for my own tastes.

Sorry, I didn't mean to.

Butttttttttt, according to what you said before, you said that not everyone knows about the egg limits page, however, this is also on the forums too (when TJ was announcing the release of the new features). Go ahead and hate me for assumptions, but I find it quite hard to miss both (considering 1. Every time there is an announcement, the link is posted on the main forums page and 2. It stays there for a while)

Hey, I've been playing for a long time, and even when I read the new features page, I didn't exactly realize (or remember, really) that there was an egg-limit thingy we could access on the Help page. I wasn't aware it existed until this topic either, actually. Sometimes people miss things on accident, like certain features or eggs they didn't know they had ;3 It's not their fault. I certainly don't really think about checking my egg limits before I breed, but that's normally because I don't max out my slots. When I do, I try to be very careful as possible and count as many eggs as I can carry. And I have done the "go to the AP and see if you can pick up an egg" several times before. But the times that I may forget, or am too excited to remind myself to check, I suffer for a silly error that could have easily been avoided by a simple, "Watch out! Yer locked!" right where I would notice it.

Problem solved~

And honestly, I would be more willing to breed specifically to the AP if I had this kind of message instead of getting really frustrated with having lost a precious egg and tying down my loot so no one else could touch it. >>

The egg limit page doesn't include the dead eggs, which seem to be the most common cause to accidental autoabandon.

The limits page DOES count dead eggs that are still within the 24 hour period of when they were killed.

The limits page DOES count dead eggs that are still within the 24 hour period of when they were killed.

Really? I just had an egg die today around 5 and the egg limit doesn't count it. It's either not counting that one or my fogged one, cause it says 3/6 but I know I have at least 4 spots filled.

EDT: Is it counted just in the total limit? Even tough it takes up an egg spot? Sorry, in all honesty I don't really look at it much so I don't know how it counts. blink.gif

Edited by Nogard145

True, true (@ Shiny Hazard Sign).

And you're right, people do complain about everything. tongue.gif

I just think that these messages are crutches, thats all. Or, like I like to say, enablers. Just a personal preference of how I want to play the game...I feel like if the messages weren't there, I would be more obliged to check and care for my dragons better.

I just think that these messages are crutches, thats all. Or, like I like to say, enablers.

This is basically my feeling on this.

I have nothing personal against this suggestion if it's just text (instead of a pop-up or something), but I feel like it's yet another way to babysit players, another "oh, here, you don't want to take the time to check your eggcount? Nevermind, the site will do it for you!".

I don't particularly like the on-scroll sickness message either, for that very reason.

When I first started playing this game, users had to *pay attention* to their scroll. Check their dragons daily for sickness, time left, had to work to get views, etc... Our scrolls and dragons were our responsibilities, and we had to be at least a little bit responsible when it came to caring for them.

Now, it feels like the site does so much for us. Don't have time to check eggs for sickness? That's okay, you'll get a big message at the top of your scroll! Don't want to take the time to count your eggs or check the many on-site and off-site ways of checking egg-count? That's okay, you can just get a message about it!

I'm not *personally* against it, I just don't like the way DragonCave seems to be headed, babying users instead of making us all take responsibility for our scroll and our scroll-actions.

Also, since just about anything else you do with your dragon a part from breeding requires a password, why can't we just have that for breeding with "Currently locked" or "Currently unlocked" above the password? I very highly doubt that the little reminder will decrease the appeal and fun of DC at all. And the autoabandon is more like the consequence than a warning, especially when it involves rares.

No password on breeding, please no. That would just massively piss off anybody who does a mass-breed. I know there are people who would basically stop breeding unless they really they had to if that password was there. It would actually really bother a lot of people.

Unless, like, the password confirmation was only required when you were locked, or it was something you could turn off.

Bred, lost an egg... Cursed a little bit and learned from my mistake

Whenever I go on a breeding frenzy, I go into the AP, click on random eggs untill I cant take no more....

If I have picked 4 eggs, that means I can breed 4 eggs...

Drop them back into the AP and breeed 4 eggs of my choice....

Seriously doubt that I'm the only one who was smart enough to figure this solution out dry.gif

Really? I just had an egg die today around 5 and the egg limit doesn't count it. It's either not counting that one or my fogged one, cause it says 3/6 but I know I have at least 4 spots filled.

EDT: Is it counted just in the total limit? Even tough it takes up an egg spot? Sorry, in all honesty I don't really look at it much so I don't know how it counts. blink.gif

It counts fogged eggs in the egg total, which are pretty well invisible to the rest of the site, so I'm sure it counts dead things that are currently locking a scroll. I just checked it on my scroll with two hidden eggs, and it counted all seven.

As far as the suggestion goes, it doesn't matter too much to me either way. I wouldn't want a pop-up or passwords required for it though. If there were a line of text, I think it would be ignored as frequently as the holiday 30-minute auto abandon message is and people would still be upset because they skimmed for whatever reason. Still, it wouldn't do any harm to be there and it would help some people who did more than glance at the page.

EDT: Is it counted just in the total limit? Even tough it takes up an egg spot? Sorry, in all honesty I don't really look at it much so I don't know how it counts.  blink.gif

Eggs that die from running out of time or from soft shell do not count for 24 hours against your egg count. That is only for eggs that are killed in some way -- kill action, vamp bite, EQ.

As far as the original suggestion here, I am sort of on the side of those who feel it is babying users a bit too much. I feel sorry for those who lose eggs this way. I have lost eggs this way myself. I am more careful now.

Edited by purplehaze

That happened to me. 6 hours or so after an egg died, I could still get more, but then another time it was the whole 24 hours. Both died from a vampire bite though...

----

For this idea, I think it'll be helpful, but it's not exactly necessary. People should be more aware about how many eggs they have.

Hi,

I have a question... I breed some eggs that accidently got auto abandoned because I forgot about a vamp kill or forgot to AP an egg before or just forgot how many eggs i had.

Would it be possible to get a warning message somewhere before breeding that an additional egg will be auto-APed?

I would be happy about it.

*begs* unsure.gif

Cheers,

tridy

PS: Hope this is right section to post.

I agree with the notice that if you breed you will lose your egg. I am new to the breeding and raising dragons so an auto abandon notice before I breed would have beed good. I would have waited before breeding.

Yes, please. Especially when your eggs are arranged like mine- one egg in the middle of hatchies, six below, causing me to count 6 eggs.

I haven't had time to read all 5 pages but my thought is this:

If we implement this, then less eggs will accidentally drop to the AP. The chance of finding a metallic or rare egg significantly drops.

Many users rely on the AP drops for rare dragons...this will kind of purge that.

Personally I have no issue myself with accidental overburden, though I am one of those who has their eggs sorted so they are all vaguely in the same area (though not neccesarily all together; sometimes they are mixed in hatchlings).

Worst case scenario; check the "Egg Limits" under Help and it will tell you your eggs (you could favorite it so that you have easy access whenever).

Edited by Ashywolf

I haven't had time to read all 5 pages but my thought is this:

If we implement this, then less eggs will accidentally drop to the AP. The chance of finding a metallic or rare egg significantly drops.

Many users rely on the AP drops for rare dragons...this will kind of purge that.

I'd argue that there isn't really any rare stuff dropping into the AP anyway <___< I'm certainly not an AP fanatic, but I do get stuck there often enough when the cave is clogged, and about the rarest thing I've seen in a week of hunting is a super messy magma egg (which actually sat around the AP for a few refreshes before getting taken).

I think something like this would be nice. I breed a lot of stuff to gift, and it's always a bit of a pain to try to keep mental track of how many common eggs versus good eggs I've got and knowing when I need to go dump a few unwanted eggs before I can keep breeding. It is something that can be remedied by me just repeatedly checking my scroll while I breed? Sure, but that doesn't make it less annoying. X'D

Not a big concern either way though. It'd be useful, but not vital. smile.gif

I'd argue that there isn't really any rare stuff dropping into the AP anyway <___< I'm certainly not an AP fanatic, but I do get stuck there often enough when the cave is clogged, and about the rarest thing I've seen in a week of hunting is a super messy magma egg (which actually sat around the AP for a few refreshes before getting taken).

I think something like this would be nice. I breed a lot of stuff to gift, and it's always a bit of a pain to try to keep mental track of how many common eggs versus good eggs I've got and knowing when I need to go dump a few unwanted eggs before I can keep breeding. It is something that can be remedied by me just repeatedly checking my scroll while I breed? Sure, but that doesn't make it less annoying. X'D

Not a big concern either way though. It'd be useful, but not vital. smile.gif

Well for some people it is the only place they see rares. There are some dragons I've seen multiples of in the AP but never in cave, even though I stalk biomes about 5 or 6 times a day at the height of the hour.

Edited by Ashywolf

i was thinking about how some times a person may have on there scroll a full clutch of eggs and cannot exceed the amount of eggs on the scroll

and forgetting how many eggs the person has the person decides to breed an egg but forgot that there scroll was full and say a rare egg was born but because u have to many egg that egg is immediately tossed how depressive that could really ruin someones day

i was thinking on that you should have the option when you have 2 many eggs and breed an extra egg u should be able to choose one of the pre existing eggs that's not on cool down to be swapped to the abandon section

it makes sense since you as the dragon breeder have control of what eggs you have its unfair that if u have a full amount of eggs and the newest egg gets auto abandon you should have a choice of what eggs u keep

n you can allow theses accidents to happen 1 or 2 times a week by using it as an action every one deserves a second chance u know what i mean

n i know u should keep a keen observation on how many eggs u have so u don't breed till u have a free egg spot but we are only human and sometimes humans forget things like i said everyone deserves a second chance

It's a nice idea, but if I remember rightly, there was already a suggestion like this and it was shot-down by TJ himself.

It is our own responsibility to keep track of how many eggs or hatchlings we have, and even though it sucks to lose an egg that way (I know I have done it a couple times,) it shouldn't happen. There are so many ways to check the number of growing things on our scrolls. The onus is on us.

Edited by CDM

yea that's true but what if ur tired from work/school or other reasons n like i said we r only human we deserve a second chance and that sometimes we r forgetful like what if some one has short term memories n cant control it idk its just super unfair to me

As CDM said, this was proposed before and turned down. I've auto-abandoned a few times myself, but if you're careful and keep a second tab up with the top part of your scroll showing for easy counting--and especially double-check before breeding your rarest things--then you should be fine. ^^