kissxthestarz

Communication with other users

Ok, thank you.

1. Good point. But at the same time having separate accounts isn't that much of a hassle unless you are constantly switching computers. I don't even notice because I just stay logged in to both all the time.

2. Who is complaining about what? I don't understand. But as Fi pointed out, having the scroll always known is not always a plus. Viewbombing someone you don't like becomes a lot easier if the scroll name is always the same as the forum username. Yes it can be frustrating when they aren't the same, but that's the user's choice and that should be respected. There would be a LOT more people using the "hide scroll" option if the accounts were linked, and that option is a HUGE pain in the rear end if you also use hatcheries (I know, I had to keep my scroll hidden for a long time because of harassment)

3. What is easier to control?

4. Multiple logins for scamming is more of an IRC thing than a forum thing, I think. But IOUs are, and will likely always be, at your own risk. I don't see why anyone would need multiple logins to scam (other than someone getting a bad reputation). I don't see how integrating things would make scams less of a problem. Unless there's another kind of scam than promising an IOU and never paying? It's pretty easy to avoid being scammed, you just refuse to do IOU trading, two-way trade link with everything inside it or nothing.

5. Better parental control than not needing parental control? (other than the forum and chat blocking software that parental control parents would already be using, of course) At least you envision something that is able to be completely disabled.

6. And who exactly would be coding this brand-spanking-new integrated forum and all of these shiny new features? You act like all we have to do is want it and it will be, but I can't imagine it being anything but a hellish amount of work to implement. Even if there is code already out there to use, things still would have to be changed to make everything work together smoothly.

7. So, how do you suggest working it so that blocking a user will prevent him from viewbombing your eggs? That is the biggest way someone can harass you on DC, since you either have to constantly fog your eggs when you're not actively watching them or hide your scroll, which requires unhiding and hiding again whenever you want to modify your eggs in a hatchery. And since things are integrated, he definitely knows your scroll name, no way to hide that any more.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I think view bombong is a subject for another thread. In my opinion sickness should be entirely removed from the game, but as I said, that's for another thread.

Many things are easier to control when someone don't have multiple logins with multiple names.

Oh trades. It's easier to make trades with people online. You can discuss in private chat (similar to how is done in IRC) and make the trade heppen immediately.

I like to use the IRC, I go there a lot and I got several great dragons there not only in trades but as gifts. Chat is a lot of fun.

It is possible to have a chat with features that help to control that IRC doesn't have, I go to an anime forum that have a chat and is very controlled, you can't post links or images directly in the chat, so I know is possible to customize the chat to work according to our needs.

Ok, so your focus is trade, not socialization?

If the forums get moved too, then why would we need chat, when the forums are how nearly everyone here, already trades? Why would the chat be needed?

As for forcing people to use the same name across the board, that would be a huge, huge no on my end. My kids scrolls use their names (my fault for allowing it, but at the time, it was just cute, and very few people knew/know their scrollnames). I threw a fit when my sons scroll was linked on the wiki, without my permission, or knowledge.

Since we cant exactly change our scroll names, I'd have a huge issue with that. At least here on these forums, if there is a big reason to change names, a person can make a new account, after talking to the mods. Some users strongly prefer not to have their scrollname and forum name the same. If I could go back and do things differently, I wouldnt have used this name for both locations. Especially now that I have seen how people reacted when prizes came out. I really dont think you are understanding the objection people have with that. There are a lot of people who value their privacy..the privacy that having the things separate gives.

At this time, there isnt much to convince me that a change like this is going to be overall /better/ for the majority of the userbase. What about the users whose primary languages arent English? The ones who dont read well, the ones who are crazy shy, who for some reason or other, cant interact with other people. This is forcing a pretty huge change on them. How do we make sure we arent alienating a huge chunk of people, over the assumption that this is whats best for everyone?

I think view bombong is a subject for another thread. In my opinion sickness should be entirely removed from the game, but as I said, that's for another thread.

Many things are easier to control when someone don't have multiple logins with multiple names.

You can't just throw away one of the big downsides of your suggestion. Viewbombing is a thing. Until/unless it goes away it can't be dismissed.

Even without viewboming, a user can still be harassed. The reason I had to hide my scroll for a while wasn't actual bombing, just someone adding things I wanted to keep with the lowest views possible (ie trades and gifts that were waiting for pickup). I wanted to keep them from hatching/growing too soon, and adding my scroll places messed that up. These were things that were in teleport and so could not be hidden, so my only option was to hide my entire scroll and hope the person didn't add codes individually on my trades.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Thuban

I'm sorry if you make a mistake but this suggestion don't have the intention to fix all mistakes that people did when they created their accounts to Dragon Cave, the thread is about create a better communication system for the users. Mistakes or personal problems should be solved by mods and admins case by case and not by a suggestion about communication systems.

Maybe you can open a thread called "change scrolls names" to solve your problems.

I don't think your unique and personal problem is a good reason to shut down a suggestion that will benefit thousands of players.

Pokemonfan13

Since TJ doesn't solve the viewbomb issue, I keep my scroll hidden. It has been hidden for almost 2 years and will continue like that untill TJ decide to address the problem.

Again, this have nothing to do with this suggestion.

One of the BIGGEST mistakes that I see in the suggestion area is try to solve ALL DC problems in every single thread that is posted here. We should focus in the suggestion and not try to solve everything that doesn't work in one single thread - funny thing is that most of doesn't work can be solved with an integrated site.

Edited by danicast

Ok, so your focus is trade, not socialization?

If the forums get moved too, then why would we need chat, when the forums are how nearly everyone here, already trades? Why would the chat be needed?

As for forcing people to use the same name across the board, that would be a huge, huge no on my end. My kids scrolls use their names (my fault for allowing it, but at the time, it was just cute, and very few people knew/know their scrollnames). I threw a fit when my sons scroll was linked on the wiki, without my permission, or knowledge.

Since we cant exactly change our scroll names, I'd have a huge issue with that. At least here on these forums, if there is a big reason to change names, a person can make a new account, after talking to the mods. Some users strongly prefer not to have their scrollname and forum name the same. If I could go back and do things differently, I wouldnt have used this name for both locations. Especially now that I have seen how people reacted when prizes came out. I really dont think you are understanding the objection people have with that. There are a lot of people who value their privacy..the privacy that having the things separate gives.

At this time, there isnt much to convince me that a change like this is going to be overall /better/ for the majority of the userbase. What about the users whose primary languages arent English? The ones who dont read well, the ones who are crazy shy, who for some reason or other, cant interact with other people. This is forcing a pretty huge change on them. How do we make sure we arent alienating a huge chunk of people, over the assumption that this is whats best for everyone?

This. I would NEVER want my scroll and and my forum name linked. OK I link my scroll already from my sig on the forum - but I would NOT want it the other way around.

And if we had an in cave trading system, you would not need ANY of the other stuff. Chat has nothing to do with the game and is best done on forums anyway. To clutter the cave with "have you seen my new lineage ?" "Isn't the new hatchie cute" and the rest is hugely wasteful of game playing bandwidth.

Also, though - it has on many occasions been hugely useful to have the two things completely separate - when the cave falls over (as it does at times) we can ask each other what is going on, reassure one another, have a weepfest while we wait, and report things and the rest. If it were all on one top-heavy site - we couldn't do that any more sad.gif

Just because you say it doesn't have anything to do with the suggestion doesn't make it so. You are suggesting something that will make bombing easier, and possible to do against people that are currently immune because they keep their scroll name secret. Therefore it is a downside to your suggestion that needs to be considered. (I agree that discussing sickness and therefore viewbombing not being a thing any more does not belong here, but you're the only one talking about that)

And all these people you claim it will help? Why aren't they in here backing you? Why are the only people here ones who are less than thrilled with your suggestion?

If your goal is trading as you say, what is wrong with an integrated trading system similar to ones some fansites have, where trades are represented with images (and ideally searchable by content), combined with a mix-n-match PM system to allow trade related communication?

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Thuban

I'm sorry if you make a mistake but this suggestion don't have the intention to fix all mistakes that people did when they created their accounts to Dragon Cave, the thread is about create a better communication system for the users. Mistakes or personal problems should be solved by mods and admins case by case and not by a suggestion about communication systems.

Maybe you can open a thread called "change scrolls names" to solve your problems.

I don't think your unique and personal problem is a good reason to shut down a suggestion that will benefit thousands of players.

I think you misunderstood my intent there: Already, at least one person has made it clear that they are not comfortable with their forum name and scrollname being linked. I'm pointing out that I would not be comfortable with my kids scrolls being linked to the forum, and why. I'm fairly certain that fuzz, and the others who have mentioned having children/grandchildren who play, would prefer their scrolls not be linked either, when the time comes for them to be allowed on the forums. If it had been a built in feature at the time the scrolls were created, those people very likely would not have allowed the scrolls to be made.

One of the beautiful things about dragcave as it is right now, is that even if your English skills arent great, you can play. You arent being slammed left and right with the bells and whistles that come with forums or chat windows. Yes, certain aspects of the site do require English to be a thing, but if a person decides to simply not describe their dragons, then their languages arent as much of an issue. I imagine that learning to differentiate between the eggs, when its not a language you are necessarily familiar with, is a much different beast than taking on the forums and/or a chat tongue.gif

Edited by Thuban

And all these people you claim it will help? Why aren't they in here backing you? Why are the only people here ones who are less than thrilled with your suggestion?

This one is easy to answer biggrin.gif

People are not here because the site is not integrated so a lot of people simply doesn't have a forum account. In every single discussion I see all the time the same 20 people and never one single new one and when a new person join the discussion the old users do everything they can to harass that person and shut them down.

That's one of the reasons why we DESPERATELY need an integrated site. We need to hear from the thousands of users who have no voice at all in the current unfair and outdated scheme.

And what if those thousands of users aren't on the forums because they don't WANT to be? If they wanted to be here, they would be. Making an account is not hard.

You've made that point before, and it really is a point AGAINST yours. There is no reason why users wouldn't be here if they wanted to be, and so all those users who aren't here are people who aren't interested in the forums.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

And what if those thousands of users aren't on the forums because they don't WANT to be? If they wanted to be here, they would be. Making an account is not hard.

Weak argument. We don't know that.

I don't really think DC needs a chat system. I mean, what for? PMing works fine for me. What would be so much better about real time chat? And I don't want a chat linked directly to DC. I don't want messages popping up on the cave all the time, or any of the time for that matter. I would rather just work with PMs.

As for linking my scroll name and forum name, that would be a nightmare. Everyone who saw my shimmer on the cave would be sending me PMs, even more than already do. I'm happy with the forums and cave being seperate. I'm happy with the way things are.

Edited by bob_jones

I can serve as an example. I spent three years solely on the cave because I had no interest in having an acount here. Frankly I only joined the forums in the first place so I could communicate with a friend. I wouldn't doubt there are many people like me.

No weaker an argument than yours.

We're both making assumptions about people who aren't here to speak for themselves. The only thing we know about these people who aren't on the forums is that they aren't on the forums. How likely is it that they're all secretly longing to be forum junkies and a single site signup is preventing them from doing so? How likely is it that they aren't here because they don't want to be here?

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I would very much dislike an in-cave method for other people to contact me. When I am in the cave, I want to play the game. When I want to socialize, I use the forum. It is a good thing that both places are separate.

What I do not want to do is to deal with a dozen notifications or PMs first when I am in the cave. Neither do I want to be distracted whilst hunting in the cave, be it by a message - or heaven forbid, a chatbox. To be quite frank, if someone is bored and thus feels a need to chat - do it in the forum or the IRC, but don't press your presence onto others who actually want to play the game.

I would deactivate or block any form of in-cave communication, regardless if it was the only way of communication DC provides.

I would very much dislike an in-cave method for other people to contact me. When I am in the cave, I want to play the game. When I want to socialize, I use the forum. It is a good thing that both places are separate.

Exactly.

Pros:

*Easier trading

*Easier communication

*Less need to hop between sites

*More compact, accessible features.. better flow between features

*More like other popular collection games

*Better ability to see who is actually online/not online

*Ideally optional, the ability to disconnect the forum and chat from childrens scrolls, and scrolls of those who do not wish to be contacted

Cons:

*If everything is in one place, and the site goes down, we lose alternate resources to find out what is happening.

*People who do not want their forum names linked to their scrolls would be forced to have to deal.

*Users who enjoy the quiet nature of the game itself, would be affected, however minimally

*If the option to disable the forums/chat is used, then users will miss out on important updates and news.

*It removes a big part of the kid friendly aspect of the original game.

*Bandwidth. Not everyone has unlimited, decent quality internet services.

* (personal thought) Has anyone thought about how crazy events get as it is between the three sites? We're gonna try to put it all on one site, one location?

You guys can feel free to expand on this as you will. Im going to back away from this thread for awhile.

Popping in for a little bit. At first I was indifferent about this suggestion, but after skimming the entire thread(my goodness, we're quite the debaters, aren't we? xd.png), I think I'm leaning toward Against.

My reasoning is this: I love the way dragcave.net, the site itself, runs right now. It feels very homely, and I'm not overwhelmed by any features I may never use. Part of the reason I'm so inactive on ChickenSmoothie and even Magistream is because their forums overwhelm me; the former even more so because everything has to be in your face! Things I don't even care about are splattered all over the home page, and some of the forums have the forum rules stuck at the top all the time. I can't navigate on that website--I feel like a child who needs to have her hand held just being on there. Sure, it's probably perfect for more social, outgoing people, but if you're me and you just want to collect adoptables it becomes discouraging to even visit the site. I only go to ChickenSmoothie a couple of times a month to adopt pets because of all of these "bells and whistles"; I don't want DragonCave to turn into the same thing.

DC, in contrast, is very simple: You have a scroll, you have a Help page at your disposal(including links to the IRC and the forums, if I'm remembering correctly), you have places where you can view wild dragons, read the lore for dragons you've "discovered", and a place to collect eggs. I wouldn't want anything more; the News section on the home page is enough social networking for me. It's like a getaway; if I want to be social, I come onto the forums. If I don't want to be social, I stick to my scroll. Easy.

Now, one solution I would consider for this is to have the forums and the site itself be "merged" like with other adoptable sites, but Fiona and others have good points against this, which makes me appreciate the unique layout of DC even more. I'm not one of those people who has a different username for everything on the Internet, but it doesn't bother me if I have to register again to use a site's forums; it's not a problem, and as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, it's not like it takes particularly long to do. Sure, you have to have your first post approved by a mod before you can use the rest of the forums, but DC is an adoptables game, which means it's slower; why would you ever need to contact someone ASAP? Unless you have eggs that are about to die, in which case I say do what I did: go to the Help page, find the "Raising an Egg" page, and click the "Hatcheries" link. You can still view the forums without being registered, and I was registered on DC before I even came on the forums. In fact, the reason I joined DCF in the first place was actually to join a roleplay, not to get help, to trade, or to chat with people! If it hadn't been for that roleplay, I probably wouldn't even have a DC forum account because I was content with my scroll and nothing else.

Also, something I just thought up: judging by the way each site functions, I have the feeling that if one site were to go down, the other would remain fine; that is, say DC went offline, TJ could post here on the forums saying why it's down and we could see that post with no trouble. If the forums went down, with TJ being a coder he could easily edit the homepage of DC to have a disclaimer pointing out the offline forums. Not to say that either website would go down, but in the event that something happened we wouldn't suffer the fate of most adoptable/forum mixes and have communication cut off altogether.

In short:

-I don't want an IM or a bar for social-networking sites to be linked or integrated anywhere on the main site; we have the forums for socializing, and it's pretty easy to get to them from the main site.

-I like how the main site and the forums are separate(for the most part).

-I'm seeing more advantages with keeping the site the way it is, rather than the benefits of changing it.

-On that note, I wouldn't be opposed to a very simple change, such as the trading "PM" system PK13(?) suggested earlier, which is basically regular trading/transferring but with set messages that can't be abused; even with set messages, having someone send a "Thank You" for a gift can encourage people to trade more, and why not encourage that?

-I'm very iffy on the idea of a PMing system; perhaps if it could be customized to the point of ridiculousness, so users can filter out any PMs they might not want, I would be fine with it, but I still don't really see how it would benefit the site...

EDIT: Took a look at the Help page; I was wrong about the IRC being linked on there, but the forums are obviously linked on the site. A link to the IRC wouldn't hurt, but... eh, is how I feel about it. Don't see much benefit there either.

Edited by skwerl56767

Maybe just have the option to link a forum account under your username? Clicking it would bring people to your forum profile. Default is set to not display one, of course, since you need to tell the site which to link.

I prefer PF or PF13. x3 (since you kinda asked)

Ya, I think a trading PM system with mix-n-match set messages is the best compromise between communication and non-abuse and not bothering non-social people with socialness, especially since trading is the main thing that not being able to find someone on the forums would be a problem for.

It would be even better with a simple way to post trades like some fansites have (images of the eggs and hatchlings involved with links to real or hoped for lineages and a way to say you want two for one or whatever), with a way to search based on the content of the haves or the wants so you don't have to wade through a huge list of stuff you don't want or can't trade for (since any in-cave way to post trades would most likely have a LOT of trades listed).

Think I'm gonna back out too. The topic is starting to feel like a battering ram of an idea, to me anyway. The push for it seems to be getting a little roughshod now, and the arguements against are being belittled a bit. I'm gone.

Pros:

*Easier trading

*Easier communication

*Less need to hop between sites

*More compact, accessible features.. better flow between features

*More like other popular collection games

*Better ability to see who is actually online/not online

*Ideally optional, the ability to disconnect the forum and chat from childrens scrolls, and scrolls of those who do not wish to be contacted

Cons:

*If everything is in one place, and the site goes down, we lose alternate resources to find out what is happening.

*People who do not want their forum names linked to their scrolls would be forced to have to deal.

*Users who enjoy the quiet nature of the game itself, would be affected, however minimally

*If the option to disable the forums/chat is used, then users will miss out on important updates and news.

*Bandwidth. Not everyone has unlimited, decent quality internet services.

* (personal thought) Has anyone thought about how crazy events get as it is between the three sites? We're gonna try to put it all on one site, one location?

You guys can feel free to expand on this as you will. Im going to back away from this thread for awhile.

That's not true, I'm a member of Chicken Smoothie, I don't participate in forums there except for trades and nobody disturb me. I only get PMs when I'm trading something.

Don't automatically assume that you will be harassed because that's not true - and I have some really good rares in that site, even so, nobody disturb me. Is much more a question to make rules clear and make moderation organized.

This is easy easy to solve, just make admin PMs be prioritary (which is default in most forums). If there is anything really important that the users must read, deliver as admin and the message will reach them even if they disabled the forum and chat. It's another advantage to have all in one single place.

I disagree. A site well organized and well moderated will be even MORE kid friendly. It is not kid friendly as it is today.

I think the most important is to make clear rules of use, a clear TOS and have mods.

It can't be so hard if so many sites uses this formula with success.

What I do not want to do is to deal with a dozen notifications or PMs first when I am in the cave. Neither do I want to be distracted whilst hunting in the cave, be it by a message - or heaven forbid, a chatbox. To be quite frank, if someone is bored and thus feels a need to chat - do it in the forum or the IRC, but don't press your presence onto others who actually want to play the game.

I would deactivate or block any form of in-cave communication, regardless if it was the only way of communication DC provides.

I think this is said very well.

I really like how the cave is 'isolated'. It's laid back and casual. I don't really want to deal with people when I just wanna shuffle around some eggs. Adding a communication element suddenly would put pressure to talk to others, and I always would be checking if I have new messages instead of playing. I can see that being stressful to people who sometimes dread opening messages because of anxiety. So the fun, casual, play-when-you-feel-like-it game would become an obligation. Yes, the quiet game would absolutely be ruined. Messages are pressure for certain people, and pressure isn't fun.

Also, how will this work with people whose scrolls are hidden? And what about the constant badgering of players who have nice things (ie CB prizes)? What about blocking other players? It would be a lot of coding and work, which would be really against the simplicity of the cave. Players who want to be found on the forums can easily rename a dragon to include that info, and those who don't want to be contacted should be able to stay unreachable.

Plus, there's a very obvious link to the forums, which is separate from the cave for a reason. It seems redundant to have a system in-cave when we already have that via forum. Why add more to the cave when everything already exists, just to 'fix' two things that aren't broken. Seems like a lot of work for no improvement?

That's not true, I'm a member of Chicken Smoothie, I don't participate in forums there except for trades and nobody disturb me. I only get PMs when I'm trading something.

Don't automatically assume that you will be harassed because that's not true - and I have some really good rares in that site, even so, nobody disturb me. Is much more a question to make rules clear and make moderation organized.

Not everyone has experience with that site, and of those who do, not all have positive stories like you do. Would this proposed system allow for anon surfing? I imagine it would, but as soon as someone posts, since you are insisting the same name be used for both, the scroll is no longer "private". It would put many people in the position of having to go through the extra steps of hiding and unhiding things to protect their dragons, that wouldnt have had to before.

This is easy easy to solve, just make admin PMs be prioritary (which is default in most forums). If there is anything really important that the users must read, deliver as admin and the message will reach them even if they disabled the forum and chat. It's another advantage to have all in one single place.

Our system as it stands right now, is that there is an announcement on the home page for dragcave, that leads you here to the forum for more information. Sure, I imagine TJ would very likely implement a different system, however, I can just as easily see him keeping the current tradition of just posting the relevant information to a forum post, like always. Its easier to get all the information in a forum post, especially when you consider that other relevant information tends to come out in the comments, and not necessarily in the original post. That is my concern.

I disagree. A site well organized and well moderated will be even MORE kid friendly. It is not kid friendly as it is today.

I am going to have to completely disagree with you on this. The main site is kid friendly, because there is no adult content, no contact with anyone, and at least when they play, no ads with questionable content. The very little socialization that they do get with this game, is when i allow them to join the chat (who I warn ahead of time, because not everyone is comfortable ti young kids being around). For the most part, this game is a completely solo activity for them, where I dont have to babysit them, or keep track of who they are talking to, or who is contacting them. The fact that this forum isnt completely YOUNG kid friendly, is exactly why my kids are not on these forums.

As it stands, we do have a clear TOS, there are clear rules on site, and on the forums. Chat, however is a different beast, and cant stick to rigid, non flexible rules. It would be impossible to mod by both forum and chat standards, as chat simply moves and flows differently than forums do. The rules we have there are modeled after the forum rules, but are a bit more subject to grey areas. Im not saying it can't be done, but it would ruin the more relaxed, free-flowing nature of the chat that we have built up over the years. If chat were to be completely left off the table, then it could be a bit easier to get behind the idea of integrating the forums into the game, but I still have strong reservations that I, and others have made clear multiple times, that are being ignored.

Thats where my frustration with this thread is coming from. Concern for our kids isnt just a "small issue". Concern for our privacy, is no small thing. Concern for how it will affect game play, and bandwidth isn't a small thing. These are all things that need to be addressed to win people over to your side smile.gif

What I would like, communication wise, for DC:

- A more prominent link to the IRC, somewhere. Maybe some way to make it look simpler to get into?

- A way to (if you choose) link to your forum profile from your Scroll

- An in-Cave trade market, even if it was similar to EATW. The trading threads are a real pain to find anything in, something where its easier to find the cookie cutter type trades would be really nice.

- Upgraded forum software (but I know that you have stated in the past you are waiting for better non-buggy versions of this board, so this is kinda a "I know not gonna happen soon" item)

What I do not want:

- An in-game Chat feature, they are distracting and brutal to mod and add nothing IRC does not. They also tend to be super busy, filled with inane off-subject chatter, and I like the fact that the main DC site is such a lite site, bandwidth wise.

What I think would not add anything to the game if added:

- An in-cave PM system. I do not really see what it would add since the Forums have PMs, and it would make it far easier for harassment to happen.

Cheers!

C4.

I agree with all this. This provides a way for people to contact each other for what they need contacting for in the cave - trades - as well as providing another official option for user communication (forums or IRC).

~

On integrating the forum with the cave:

It's an interesting setup and not a bad one. It works well for chickensmoothie. However, I must point out that just because it works well for cs doesn't mean it would work well for DC, not with how things currently are.

DC mods have no modding power over the cave, including trades. We can only touch descriptions and even I'm lobbying to have those auto-approved. xP

CS mods have quite a bit of modding power over their adoptables system, including trades. I believe in necessary cases, mods have done things such as reversed trades.

I don't think integrating the forum and cave without making similar changes would go very smoothly. And at this point, I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable with these changes. I recall comments in the past about users not wanting mods to have cave powers (although that may just have been banning people), so I can't imagine I'm the only one with some reservations about that big of a change. ^^;;