kissxthestarz

Communication with other users

I think an cave messaging system with the ability to opt out/restrict who can send you messages would be super useful.

And I also want a friends/favourite scrolls list. Not only would it be good for the messaging system, it would be useful for keeping track of the scrolls of IRL family and friends or people you gift to.

And I don't think we need a live chat system in-cave, those are bandwidth intensive and lag sites. We should just have a link to the IRC somewhere on the main site.

Edited by Andygal

And I also want a friends/favourite scrolls list. Not only would it be good for the messaging system, it would be useful for keeping track of the scrolls of IRL family and friends or people you gift to.

You can do that with bookmarks.

I'd enjoy a PM-type system, but not a live, IRC-style communications system. Even if the PM thing is used for, "Hey, what's your forum name? I'd like to trade.". There is one user in particular I'd like to contact for a name trade, but they don't have a forum account. This would be a way to find someone like that.

I think an cave messaging system with the ability to opt out/restrict who can send you messages would be super useful.

And I don't think we need a live chat system in-cave, those are bandwidth intensive and lag sites. We should just have a link to the IRC somewhere on the main site.

I very much agree with these points

As for many other suggestions, I'm on the fence. I guess the suggested mechanism would be useful for people that want to contact others. Personally, to avoid view-bombing and the like, my forum username and my user scroll username differ and my scroll is hidden 99% of the time. I prefer the "contact" to be restricted to my forum name and I realize that is not very useful. Still... privacy beats usefulness.

Honestly, I would be happy to just have the option to link my forum account to my scroll. An option on site, that gives the option of linking the two... and then somewhere on the /user page, has a clickable link to my profile. That way, if people wanna message they just click one link and boom.

Not that I personally would turn that option on.. maybe in small doses.

Honestly, I would be happy to just have the option to link my forum account to my scroll. An option on site, that gives the option of linking the two... and then somewhere on the /user page, has a clickable link to my profile. That way, if people wanna message they just click one link and boom.

Not that I personally would turn that option on.. maybe in small doses.

I'm feeling a bit (lot) dumb, can't that be achieved by showing your scroll link on your forum signature/profile?

Edited by NotBambi

I'm feeling a bit (lot) dumb, can't that be achieved by showing your scroll link on your forum signature/profile?

Not for the cave only people who dont use forums...

I'm saying i would like the option to link forum account on /user page. I dont want a chat system (IRC isnt ideal for a lot of people, but it is what we have chat mods staffed for). In game chat would be hard to mod. As it is right now, your actions here on the forum do not put your scroll at risk.. but introducing a chat system, also means that you would have to be bound to follow specific rules, and if not, face consequences. Which could/should lead to bans and burnings on site if people are harrassing people, or whatever.

Not for the cave only people who dont use forums...

I'm saying i would like the option to link forum account on /user page. I dont want a chat system (IRC isnt ideal for a lot of people, but it is what we have chat mods staffed for). In game chat would be hard to mod. As it is right now, your actions here on the forum do not put your scroll at risk.. but introducing a chat system, also means that you would have to be bound to follow specific rules, and if not, face consequences. Which could/should lead to bans and burnings on site if people are harrassing people, or whatever.

I understand (I think), instead of linking your forum account to your scroll, you would link your scroll to your forum username. Makes sense, IF and only IF that's not mandatory. I understand the optional part but I'm under the impression that TJ doesn't particularly like 'optional" and I quite agree with that.

I understand (I think), instead of linking your forum account to your scroll, you would link your scroll to your forum username. Makes sense, IF and only IF that's not mandatory. I understand the optional part but I'm under the impression that TJ doesn't particularly like 'optional" and I quite agree with that.

We have the option of showing out usernames or not, showing our adult dragons, or not. Having an option to show the forum profile link or not isnt that far of a stretch. With me, im easy to find because i use the same name on both locations, but not everyone does. Since there isnt a "profile" page, it makes sense to just find a reasonable spot on the /user page to stick it.

We have the option of showing out usernames or not, showing our adult dragons, or not. Having an option to show the forum profile link or not isnt that far of a stretch. With me, im easy to find because i use the same name on both locations, but not everyone does. Since there isnt a "profile" page, it makes sense to just find a reasonable spot on the /user page to stick it.

Thank you. I agree, just ensuring that my paranoid self would not have forum account and scroll linked, unless I intentionally link them.

Thu, we already have the ability to "link" the two if we want. Just do what I do and stick a frozen hatchling at the top that says "my forum username is xyz". It's not "official" but it does the job.

Clya made a really good point that people seem to have ignored. There are a LOT of younger users on DC who are allowed to play specifically because there is no PM system. If a PM system is added the process for opting in needs to involve some way for parents to use a separate "parental controls" password to control the PM status. Ideal would be a way to have the parents enable friends-only PM and have control of the friends list.

To remove the possibility of abuse (mean sibling/"friend" accesses the parental controls on an unattended scroll) the parental controls would have to be activated using the account's password.

Thu, we already have the ability to "link" the two if we want.  Just do what I do and stick a frozen hatchling at the top that says "my forum username is xyz".  It's not "official" but it does the job.

Clya made a really good point that people seem to have ignored.  There are a LOT of younger users on DC who are allowed to play specifically because there is no PM system.  If a PM system is added the process for opting in needs to involve some way for parents to use a separate "parental controls" password to control the PM status.  Ideal would be a way to have the parents enable friends-only PM and have control of the friends list.

To remove the possibility of abuse (mean sibling/"friend" accesses the parental controls on an unattended scroll) the parental controls would have to be activated using the account's password.

Right on to this one. I have two grandchildren players who are not allowed on forums at all. And PKF is quite right - it's easy to achieve by having a hatchie with your forum name on. Also - friends list - um - there are people out there who make friends for less than delightful purposes. One of my grandchildren already came across one on a SCHOOL MATH FORUM ! (they have to be allowed there, for school, but Bad People have discovered this interesting fact...) I would hate implementation of on-scroll messaging to see the end of our happy younger players.

A link to your forum account that you could show or not show (like those noxious FB and twitter buttons) - OK, as long as you could "not show" it. (A compulsory link - no way.) Anything within the scroll page for chatting/messaging - no thanks.

Edited by fuzzbucket

*snip*

Clya made a really good point that people seem to have ignored. There are a LOT of younger users on DC who are allowed to play specifically because there is no PM system. If a PM system is added the process for opting in needs to involve some way for parents to use a separate "parental controls" password to control the PM status. Ideal would be a way to have the parents enable friends-only PM and have control of the friends list.

I do think though that it should be a separate password/pin number that requires the password to set.

For example there is a separate tab/sections for parental controls, which you can select or deselect boxes for what is allowed friends list and pm wise. And create a parental password/short pin. Then at the bottom is requires the account password to set then from now on it would require the parental pin.

Reasoning for this is, I wouldn't doubt that most of the younger people who's parents would want this have a simple password they know so their parents don't have to come running every time they want to log in after logging out or something. Mostly I know this from personal experience having several younger siblings, two of which have their own accounts xd.png (sorry if I'm really pushing this but with younger siblings who almost got into some deep trouble on a website in which they were talking to people without realizing what was happening I'm pretty over protective and it means a lot to me)

I still think that we don't really see a need for this, but if it is implemented there has to be some things and restrictions added in.

Right on to this one. I have two grandchildren players who are not allowed on forums at all. And PKF is quite right - it's easy to achieve by having a hatchie with your forum name on. Also - friends list - um - there are people out there who make friends for less than delightful purposes. One of my grandchildren already came across one on a SCHOOL MATH FORUM ! (they have to be allowed there, for school, but Bad People have discovered this interesting fact...) I would hate implementation of on-scroll messaging to see the end of our happy younger players.

A link to your forum account that you could show or not show (like those noxious FB and twitter buttons) - OK, as long as you could "not show" it. (A compulsory link - no way.) Anything within the scroll page for chatting/messaging - no thanks.

This and Clya's posts are pretty much what I think of this right now. A chatting option has *way* too many downsides, imo, and too little upsides. A link to your forum account, as long as completely optional, is fine.

Edited by Marie19R

I haven't read all of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been suggested. What if we had incredibly limited "chat" ability? Like we only had a number of safe, pre-screened options.

Personally, the only messages I would use at all would be:

- Would you like to trade?

- Yes, thank you.

- No, thank you.

The problem with a pre-screened messages system that would be usable for trading is there are so many nuances in trading. About the best way I can come up with is a piece together your message system with message fragments and the ability to fill in blanks with stuff from each scroll. For example:

"I offer ..."

"... [fill in egg(s)/hatchling(s) on your scroll] ... "

" ... the [breed of one of the dragons mentioned] offspring of [two dragons on your scroll] ..."

" ... and ...."

"... in exchange for ..."

"... [fill in egg(s)/hatchling(s) on other person's scroll] ..."

" ... the [breed of one of the dragons mentioned] offspring of [two dragons on other person's scroll] ..."

The ... shows how you can string the fragments together.

That would cover a lot of trading, and I guess the rest would involve IOUs, and since they aren't supported by the site you can't expect the official message system to support them either. So maybe it's not as complex as I feared. xP

The wanting offspring message could involve IOUs but doesn't HAVE to since the trade can be contingent on the breeding having the correct outcome. I included offering breeding to allow more flexibility. There should probably also be something like "I have [details on various dragon pairs here] pairs available to breed if you are interested in any of their offspring." as a more open ended offer.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Thu, we already have the ability to "link" the two if we want. Just do what I do and stick a frozen hatchling at the top that says "my forum username is xyz". It's not "official" but it does the job.

Yes, which requires being forced to maintain a custom sort... where just having a clickable button that leads to the forum isnt forcing a change in game play.

My kids arent allowed here, and adding a chat in game would require that coppa rules be followed more closely than what they are right now. Chickensmoothie has a decent system in place for that, but I hate their messaging system.. because people will message anyone they see logged in, that has something they want.. and since I dont like forums in general, its a violation of my little bubble of space.

Do i want in game chat? nope, not at all. Absolutely not. If i want to interact with people, I will come here, or use the irc. But, if I can choose to not have it show up, and its something that can reasonably be modded.. I can happily ignore it. The idea of a live chat during events.. *shudder* the irc is bad enough, and we dont pull the 200+ people we used to.

Would I link my account to the forums? No, highly unlikely. However, I see no harm in the option of a button that can lead people back to forum profiles. One of the things i love about this game is the sheer fact you ARENT required to use forums to accomplish things. I see no harm though of an option for people to be able to link their scrolls to their profiles if they want to. Default mode OFF.

I would absolutely love it if we had an opt-in method to add a link on our scroll that leads to our forum profile. I do not, however, think that we need an in-cave chat or messaging system when we already have the forums and IRC.

Yes, which requires being forced to maintain a custom sort... where just having a clickable button that leads to the forum isnt forcing a change in game play.

My kids arent allowed here, and adding a chat in game would require that coppa rules be followed more closely than what they are right now. Chickensmoothie has a decent system in place for that, but I hate their messaging system.. because people will message anyone they see logged in, that has something they want.. and since I dont like forums in general, its a violation of my little bubble of space.

Do i want in game chat? nope, not at all. Absolutely not. If i want to interact with people, I will come here, or use the irc. But, if I can choose to not have it show up, and its something that can reasonably be modded.. I can happily ignore it. The idea of a live chat during events.. *shudder* the irc is bad enough, and we dont pull the 200+ people we used to.

Would I link my account to the forums? No, highly unlikely. However, I see no harm in the option of a button that can lead people back to forum profiles. One of the things i love about this game is the sheer fact you ARENT required to use forums to accomplish things. I see no harm though of an option for people to be able to link their scrolls to their profiles if they want to. Default mode OFF.

Coppa rules are only rules. They get broken every day of the week. The sad fact is that the kind of person who is determined to groom young people will bypass them all. See my post about the school math forum - intended for the use of junior elementary kids. If groomers will go there....

This isn't needed and there are FAR too many downsides. A link to one's forum account that is off by default is one thing. Anything else - no thanks. Adults can use the link; kids can't - simples. They shouldn't be allowed to chat in the cave either; FAR too risky.

But heavens Thu - ONE hatchie in place as a "link" is hardly a custom sort. I have one I use as a day/night indicator, and it's no problem.

Coppa rules are only rules. They get broken every day of the week. The sad fact is that the kind of person who is determined to groom young people will bypass them all. See my post about the school math forum - intended for the use of junior elementary kids. If groomers will go there....

This isn't needed and there are FAR too many downsides. A link to one's forum account that is off by default is one thing. Anything else - no thanks. Adults can use the link; kids can't - simples. They shouldn't be allowed to chat in the cave either; FAR too risky.

But heavens Thu - ONE hatchie in place as a "link" is hardly a custom sort. I have one I use as a day/night indicator, and it's no problem.

How do you keep your things sorted then? You have to go in and move them, and then put that hatchy or whatever back at the top, right? I stopped messing with custom sorts about a thousand dragons ago.

I think the idea of adding chat and/or forum profile links to the scrolls is ridiculous and unneeded, but tried to offer alternatives that could be turned off. Getting chat and stuff built in game would be enough for me to not play anymore, since being a chat mod and all.. i'd probably be expected to help mod that. Im happy with the small numbers that irc pulls. I can handle the higher numbers that events and downtime pull when I can plan to be there to help out.. but this.. this could easily put thousands of people in one place for events and stuff. I dont use the forums because there are too many strange people here, too many chances to misinterpret whats being said and how.

By the same token of "you can just rename something with your forum name" you can also just use external chats and such. Chat isnt needed in game. The forums are enough.. the chat covers what the forum doesnt... the fb groups and dc fan groups on every other games forums.. is enough. Why do we need this in the game itself?

How do you keep your things sorted then? You have to go in and move them, and then put that hatchy or whatever back at the top, right? I stopped messing with custom sorts about a thousand dragons ago.

I think the idea of adding chat and/or forum profile links to the scrolls is ridiculous and unneeded, but tried to offer alternatives that could be turned off. Getting chat and stuff built in game would be enough for me to not play anymore, since being a chat mod and all.. i'd probably be expected to help mod that. Im happy with the small numbers that irc pulls. I can handle the higher numbers that events and downtime pull when I can plan to be there to help out.. but this.. this could easily put thousands of people in one place for events and stuff. I dont use the forums because there are too many strange people here, too many chances to misinterpret whats being said and how.

By the same token of "you can just rename something with your forum name" you can also just use external chats and such. Chat isnt needed in game. The forums are enough.. the chat covers what the forum doesnt... the fb groups and dc fan groups on every other games forums.. is enough. Why do we need this in the game itself?

We don't need this. I absolutely agree with you - but moving that hatchie isn't TERRIBLY hard work !

From what I've seen on other games, in-game chats are brutal to moderate with a large user-base. We're lucky that compared to the total active user-base, the forum users are a small number (probably because they have a different sign-up). Other games have forums that are brutally hard to follow, much less chats!

So while I'd support a better tutorial for IRC, and more links to it and such (and links on a Cave page, the link in the forums is rather hard to find).... I do NOT support an in-game chat feature, and the forums already take care of the in-game pm feature. Anything in-cave is likely to lead to harassment of users who want to be left alone (those who have different forum and scroll names, for example).

However, I would support an official link to a user's profile on the forums on their scroll.... IF they add it themselves. So you'd go to your Account settings, go to "link forum profile" link, and do it that way. And a link would appear on your scroll page that goes to your forum profile.

Cheers!

C4.

From what I've seen on other games, in-game chats are brutal to moderate with a large user-base. We're lucky that compared to the total active user-base, the forum users are a small number (probably because they have a different sign-up). Other games have forums that are brutally hard to follow, much less chats!

So while I'd support a better tutorial for IRC, and more links to it and such (and links on a Cave page, the link in the forums is rather hard to find).... I do NOT support an in-game chat feature, and the forums already take care of the in-game pm feature. Anything in-cave is likely to lead to harassment of users who want to be left alone (those who have different forum and scroll names, for example).

However, I would support an official link to a user's profile on the forums on their scroll.... IF they add it themselves. So you'd go to your Account settings, go to "link forum profile" link, and do it that way. And a link would appear on your scroll page that goes to your forum profile.

Cheers!

C4.

I agree with the last sentence.

But IRC is not the answer, sadly. If you go there trying to trade - it is so VERY full of pizza, Starwars and in jokes, and it moves so fast that even if you post "can anyone trade this", by the time it hits the page half a dozen more people have posted about breakfast and their hangovers. I simply don't go there - and I know how and I have been,. But for actual cave activity - it's - notta lotta use.

Also - no to a link on the cave page. Children, again. And IRC is VERY much not the place for them.

I agree with the last sentence.

But IRC is not the answer, sadly. If you go there trying to trade - it is so VERY full of pizza, Starwars and in jokes, and it moves so fast that even if you post "can anyone trade this", by the time it hits the page half a dozen more people have posted about breakfast and their hangovers. I simply don't go there - and I know how and I have been,. But for actual cave activity - it's - notta lotta use.

Also - no to a link on the cave page. Children, again. And IRC is VERY much not the place for them.

3 or 4 years ago, you'd have been right about the IRC. But its changed a lot over the last few years, at least the main DC channel has. Its slowed down a lot. Also, there's separate areas to post trades.

But there certainly could be added a "breeding swaps / lineage swap" zone, where the rules are similar to trades: extraneous chatter is frowned on.

We already have that, during the Holiday breeding week.

With regards to kids, we already have a link to the forums in the main header, it doesn't get any more front and center than that! And any link to the IRC would by necessity lead to the forums first. As for IRC not being the place for them.... While there are some adult topics, the rules call for PG if memory serves. We get kids in there all the time, just like we get kids on the forums. So in general, I don't think having a link / reference to the IRC topic on the forums on the main Cave would be any worse than the already existing one to the forums.

ETA: and an in-game chat would be the exact same as IRC was a few years ago: all extraneous, "off-topic" chatter which moves far too fast for anyone to get any requests in. Though I don't have trouble getting requests, in fact I usually end up with too many!

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4