kissxthestarz

Communication with other users

I'm new to all of this, and so far, any questions I've had I've been able to find searching the forum and using the help on dragoncave.net as a reference. However, it would be nice if there was a way to communicate live (or not even live, just at least being able to have easy access to pm or something) with other users (on dragoncave.net not on this site.) Like on the bottom of the page it says how many users are online... well i wish i could talk to them. like there's not way to search for other users or anything. the only way i've been able to find other users and go to their page through a link was on this forum site and a few click sites. i'm not saying turn this into facebook or anything but it's maybe something to think about. an additional 'users' or something link where the 'dragons, help, logout' thing is so we can see who's online, go to their scrolls, send them a message, maybe be able to chat live? just a thought. let me know if anyone else agrees!

I think there should be a messaging system in the cave like the ones we have the in forums. Why? because if someone doesn't have a forum account or are inactive in forums but are active on DC, they can communicate with other players smile.gif

when they receive a message in this messaging system, it will notify them with a pop-up just like in forums. or DC could have a sidebar of a list of users online and you can engage in a conversation anytime, and they can respond actively since they're online. you can also change your status to "online", "away", or offline, etc.

i'm not really saying it's necessary but it'll definitely make communication a lot easier smile.gif

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

There is a PM (personal message) system. At the bottom of each post is a PM link to that person (you can also find it in their profile if you click on their name). Also there is a chat room if you want to meet up with folks and talk live to one another. Some members may even have in their profiles additional methods of contacting them (like email, aim, yahoo, etc.)

There is a PM (personal message) system. At the bottom of each post is a PM link to that person (you can also find it in their profile if you click on their name). Also there is a chat room if you want to meet up with folks and talk live to one another. Some members may even have in their profiles additional methods of contacting them (like email, aim, yahoo, etc.)

lol no i meant on dragoncave.net

I know this has been suggested in the past, not sure where those topics were or if they had approval/disapproval as the general opinion of the people talking in 'em...

But I can see this being both useful and a hassle. It would be good to let people communicate off the forums if they want to set up a gift or a trade. But it could also be abused--one of the issues would be people seeing somebody who has a rare (say a Gold or a Tinsel) and then contact them and begging for offspring from it. One of the ideas I know I'd see was a sort of 'buddy' system where only users who you put on a list would be able to contact you, or the idea to maybe opt out of the feature if you would prefer that nobody be able to contact you.

Additionally, listing every user who was online was also suggested at once point, I think, and I think I remember people being concerned at how that would be handled--it would be best, then, to have a clickable link to allow people to see a sort of "online now" list, or something. However, this would also be something people would like to opt out of, because some users value their privacy quite a bit which is why they don't allow their username to be shown on their dragons' pages or even chose to hide their scroll completely.

Edited by KageSora

The primary worries when it comes to an onsite messaging system is begging and harassment. With Teleport now there are no more lost trades to yell at people over, but there's always going to be some trolling and abuse. It simply can't be stamped out.

But if we put trolling aside (a reporting system and ignore/unignore button could always be implemented alongside after all) that leaves the question of usefulness. It would be awesome for trade negotiations and private RP, for example, but what else?

Another thing that might happen is that the forums may not be used as much. Some may see that as a good thing or a bad thing depending on their view of the community, but hey.

From the ToS:

Interactions with other users

All interactions with other users must be willful. Bothering other users to return abandoned eggs or posting the eggs, hatchlings, or adult dragons without a user's permission are prohibited.

(bolded for emphasis)

So if this was optional, something you could opt-IN to instead of the site automatically showing that you were online, and if there were very obvious warnings against asking/begging for eggs back..... Then I wouldn't mind it.

Like Lyth, tho, I'm not really sure how *useful* it would be. How much people would really use it, etc.

yea, i like that - keep it totally optional to prevent harassment. ideas could be taken from different social networking sites where everything is about the user being in control of what others see, don't see, and how or whether they can communicate with certain people. i'm making friends on here and i want to be able to check on their dragons and since i'm new i use other peoples scrolls as a reference sometimes, so being able to directly go to their scrolls and talk to them would be much easier. right now i have scrolls bookmarked and i pm with my mentor and it can be a pain at times to go to my bookmarks, and leave this page open while i message back and forth with my mentor... not to mention waiting for replies as well. it would just be more fun and convenient if we didn't have to go through here to talk to people. i think it's kind of weird that DC is just your own scroll and then a link to this forum. hmmm unlike other sites where you can just browse through users, there could be a user search and you can only search names of scrolls you know, and on their scroll (which could be private or public) will have a link to add them as a friend (link should be something different for a change as opposed to just lame 'friend request') then if accepted they can live chat when online or just pm. people will definitely still use the forum no matter what so i wouldn't worry about that being an issue.

The primary worries when it comes to an onsite messaging system is begging and harassment. With Teleport now there are no more lost trades to yell at people over, but there's always going to be some trolling and abuse. It simply can't be stamped out.

But if we put trolling aside (a reporting system and ignore/unignore button could always be implemented alongside after all) that leaves the question of usefulness. It would be awesome for trade negotiations and private RP, for example, but what else?

Another thing that might happen is that the forums may not be used as much. Some may see that as a good thing or a bad thing depending on their view of the community, but hey.

hmmmm i guess you're kind of right, not much else it could be used for. maybe it's just b/c i'm new and not used to it yet lol but let's see... it could be used for RP, trading, newbies with questions who don't want to search through pages of threads and wait however long for a response from a pm, maybe add an option to to send gifts back and forth between 'friends', curiosity and wanting to see other people's scrolls (if their scroll is public. idk, hopefully other people will respond and give their input.

option to to send gifts back and forth between 'friends'

Just thought I'd let you know that there is a dragon, an orange one called a Magi dragon, that has an ability called 'Teleport' that can be used for sending eggs/hatchlings as gifts to other users already. :3

(Also, in the future, try not to double post, just hit the edit button instead. :3)

Maybe if the IRC was linked somewhere on the site? But instead of going to #dc, the link could lead to #help, or something? That way a bunch of new players wouldn't hop straight in the #dc channel asking for help. It's a live chat method we already have, anyway. :3

However, I'm not really a fan of in game cave messaging. Games that have things like that are usually games with other aspects that make me want to stay away from them. >_<

Just thought I'd let you know that there is a dragon, an orange one called a Magi dragon, that has an ability called 'Teleport' that can be used for sending eggs/hatchlings as gifts to other users already. :3

(Also, in the future, try not to double post, just hit the edit button instead. :3)

OK. Let me start off by saying that you are the only person who has had an attitude with me, which you try to cover lol sooo petty. If you're going to be snotty to me, be real about it. I may be new but I'm not stupid, and it doesn't give you the right to attempt to make me feel that way. I see you have been a member for a very long time, but you're not a moderator, so no disrespect, but stop being a snotty know-it-all when you talk to me. SO ANYWAY, yes, I am aware of the Magi dragon but not everyone has one, especially us newbs. I wasn't just talking about just eggs/hatchlings when I said 'gifts'. AND I don't know why the fact that I posted twice in a row would even bother you, it's not a rule - "no double posting" lol are you serious? but whatever, what happened was I said what I wanted to say and then realized that I forgot to address what someone else had said specifically. So since you can't edit in a quote after you post i did it separately. k?

Um whoah there, there definitely is a "no double-posting" rule, or at least enforced guideline. Also, you might be new, but Magis aren't rare at all and that's certainly no reason to implement a whole new feature. Kage wasn't being rude at all, just pointing out something that you very well might not have known. I don't know what people would send to other people besides dragons on DC.

Also, you can edit in a quote.

tags.

I think having an "online members" list would be useful, but there should be a choice to opt out just like there is here on the forums. It would make it easier to access people's scrolls. I am not really in support of an in-game messaging system just because I think it would get annoying, but I wouldn't quit or anything if it were implemented.

So since you can't edit in a quote after you post i did it separately. k?

Actually, it is possbile. Quote the post you want to answer and type what you need to say, then press preview and copypaste the result into your first post.

Um whoah there, there definitely is a "no double-posting" rule, or at least enforced guideline. Also, you might be new, but Magis aren't rare at all and that's certainly no reason to implement a whole new feature. Kage wasn't being rude at all, just pointing out something that you very well might not have known. I don't know what people would send to other people besides dragons on DC.

Also, you can edit in a quote.

tags.

I think having an "online members" list would be useful, but there should be a choice to opt out just like there is here on the forums. It would make it easier to access people's scrolls. I am not really in support of an in-game messaging system just because I think it would get annoying, but I wouldn't quit or anything if it were implemented.

Would you like to give me the link to it then b/c there is nothing at all in the rules that says anything about posting twice in a row. I never said Kage was being rude, I said snotty, and Kage was, in fact, being snotty but that's between myself and Kage. As for the gift thing, I KNOW Magi's are not rare, but it just seems like a pain to make sure you have one and the people you want to exchange with have one, especially newbs. All of that is made even harder by the fact that the only way to communicate is through the forum. SO that's why i had suggested a users list and messaging system. (yes for the billionth time OPTIONAL) So you can see which of your friends are online and send them a message directly from dc. I care more about having a users option than messaging. I want to see other peoples scrolls, check on my friends dragons, etc. Just not crazy about dragcave.net being JUST my scroll and nothing else. That's the whole site. It's like facebook being JUST your page and you can't see anyone else's or do anything else. And as for gifts, I meant they could like, add gifts to the site. not just eggs. Like any online game, social networking site, whatever it is, they have gifts. Anything the creators want it to be. Idk how else to explain it, like, in this case an example of a gift could be 'dragon food' which would be '5 extra clicks' or idk, just any little fun dc related things.

I find that we have enough way to communicate already. Forum posts, live chat, and PM's. Is there anything else needed? tongue.gif

Edited by Lalasa

I will point out that there was a site poll where a majority of people wanted an on-site message system, and such polls include non-forum members.

Personally, I wouldn't mind such a system. I don't think I would use it, but at the same time, I really don't think it would be as bad as people think.

I would like to see a system set up sort of like Global Trade Station and GPXPlus. You HAVE to sign up for Global Trade Station before you can use GPXPlus, and the two use the same username and password combination, with the plus of being able to change your username if you desire (I think some form of this would be good for people who use separate scroll/forum names). Global Trade Station is the site that has the forums, personal messaging, ect., and you don't have to use it if you don't want to, but if you do need to it's there--unlike with the Dragon Cave, where the sites are completely separate.

After Teleport was implemented, I realized I HAD to sign up here to be able to trade, and it took a good 2-3 hours before my introduction post was approved. If I'd needed urgent help, it would have been too late. If a GTS/GPXPlus system was set up, you could sign up here, make your introductory post, and then go use the Cave. If you don't want to use your forum account, that's fine, but it's there if you need it. It would also be a good way for newer users to get an idea of how the Cave works, how to trade successfully, get rares, ect. ect. For instance, I've been playing since very early April, but I just signed up for the forum...and what a smack in the face I got when I realized how elite the trading system is here in terms in lineages and whatnot.

But, I've gotten off track. I just think this would be a good option for communication, keeping it voluntary but not nonexistent.

I think all the security problems would pretty much go away if there was a fast, reliable way to report and block users.

I can understand why someone would be uninterested in joining the forums. We are a unique community, and if perhaps somebody doesn't particularly want to be part of a community like ours, they shouldn't have to be forced into it to contact other users. (This is pretty much how I am with every other petsite I use.)

I would like to see a system set up sort of like Global Trade Station and GPXPlus. You HAVE to sign up for Global Trade Station before you can use GPXPlus, and the two use the same username and password combination, with the plus of being able to change your username if you desire (I think some form of this would be good for people who use separate scroll/forum names). Global Trade Station is the site that has the forums, personal messaging, ect., and you don't have to use it if you don't want to, but if you do need to it's there--unlike with the Dragon Cave, where the sites are completely separate.

After Teleport was implemented, I realized I HAD to sign up here to be able to trade, and it took a good 2-3 hours before my introduction post was approved. If I'd needed urgent help, it would have been too late. If a GTS/GPXPlus system was set up, you could sign up here, make your introductory post, and then go use the Cave. If you don't want to use your forum account, that's fine, but it's there if you need it. It would also be a good way for newer users to get an idea of how the Cave works, how to trade successfully, get rares, ect. ect. For instance, I've been playing since very early April, but I just signed up for the forum...and what a smack in the face I got when I realized how elite the trading system is here in terms in lineages and whatnot.

But, I've gotten off track. I just think this would be a good option for communication, keeping it voluntary but not nonexistent.

Exactly my point, I like that! smile.gif

OK.  Let me start off by saying that you are the only person who has had an attitude with me, which you try to cover lol sooo petty.  If you're going to be snotty to me, be real about it.  I may be new but I'm not stupid, and it doesn't give you the right to attempt to make me feel that way.  I see you have been a member for a very long time, but you're not a moderator, so no disrespect, but stop being a snotty know-it-all when you talk to me.  SO ANYWAY, yes, I am aware of the Magi dragon but not everyone has one, especially us newbs.  I wasn't just talking about just eggs/hatchlings when I said 'gifts'.  AND I don't know why the fact that I posted twice in a row would even bother you, it's not a rule - "no double posting" lol are you serious? but whatever, what happened was I said what I wanted to say and then realized that I forgot to address what someone else had said specifically.  So since you can't edit in a quote after you post i did it separately.  k?

I most certainly was not trying to come off as snotty--however, this is the Internet, and I can understand how you could think that, as text fails horribly at conveying tone. I was merely trying to be helpful. Double-posting is frowned upon, I have seen mods ask members not to do it, and I was simply giving you advice for the future. Perhaps it should be added to the rules or the FAQ, though, since it's enforced but you have to search to find it's enforcement but it's not listed in either. But that's a suggestion for another topic, not here.

I was not attempting to treat you as stupid, because I'm fully aware that new members are not stupid--simply new. And of course, not all people new to the forums are new to the game.

Now, on the Magi topic... I assumed you meant eggs/hatchlings, becasue your suggestion did not include any ideas for what these other "gifts" might be--and we currently don't have anything in-site to give besides dragons. That is the only reason I thought you meant eggs/hatchlings, and some people are still confused on the Magi-Teleport thing, so I was simply trying to be helpful. Look at it from how I saw it: You appeared to be suggesting something that we already had in place, due to a lack of details about what else you could be talking about. I apologize for any offense I gave by misunderstanding your initial post.

As for needing a Magi, only one of you requires a Magi, as you seem to be aware of. I'm sure the other person wouldn't mind using their Magi if you don't have one of your own, and if you ask politely I'm sure you can find a member who will breed a Magi for you. There are people who have offered to breed for new members (or even old members who just don't have a Magi), there's a gifting topic for such as well. It's very possible that you'll find a member who will breed you a Magi for free.

Would you like to give me the link to it then b/c there is nothing at all in the rules that says anything about posting twice in a row.

Here is an example of a post that has been edited by a mod to request the use of the edit button instead of double posting.

Here is a moderator requesting that the edit button be used over a double post.

I could find more, but I don't feel like going through the rest of the 84 pages of search results I got to find more examples of mods enforcing it.

I know nothing about GPXPlus (whatever that is!), so maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but are you suggesting something where a user would *have* to sign up to the forums in order to play DragonCave? Any system like that would make DragonCave loose many users; DC is big with children and we know from experience here in the forums that many children who play the game are not allowed to sign up here. If new users are required to sign up with the forums in order to play, many children simply wouldn't be allowed to sign up!

I know nothing about GPXPlus (whatever that is!), so maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but are you suggesting something where a user would *have* to sign up to the forums in order to play DragonCave? Any system like that would make DragonCave loose many users; DC is big with children and we know from experience here in the forums that many children who play the game are not allowed to sign up here. If new users are required to sign up with the forums in order to play, many children simply wouldn't be allowed to sign up!

Yes, I think with that you would have to sign up for the forum, but you wouldn't have to use it. I don't really think signing up is a big deal, takes 30 seconds and the benefits, in my opinion, outweigh the drawbacks. It's not something that would be a deal breaker if this was actually started. It does come with the upside of having a separate scroll name b/c I want to change mine and there are others out there who I'm sure don't like their scroll name either... but that's a separate topic I started.

Had i been forced to use this forum when i originally signed up for this site, I would have NEVER stayed with this game. I would also have a problem with random users being able to message me that i do not interact with on a normal day to day basis. Even now that im used to the way things are around here, I STILL would not want to be required to sign up for the forum to play the game.

It took me a year to validate my GPX account on account of me not WANTING to to go the forum to find the answers to the stupid test. Just starting the process and not finishing it prevented me from doing any clicking for that entire year. Not a good sales pitch really.

I wouldnt mind seeing some links to ways to connect to other players (we have the forum link.. a chat link would be nice) but i do not want built in pming on the site its self. The forum is enough.

Agree with Thuban. I don't want built in PMing on the site itself and I wouldn't want anyone to be required to sign up for the forum to play the game.

It took me a year to validate my GPX account on account of me not WANTING to to go the forum to find the answers to the stupid test. Just starting the process and not finishing it prevented me from doing any clicking for that entire year. Not a good sales pitch really.

I wouldnt mind seeing some links to ways to connect to other players (we have the forum link.. a chat link would be nice) but i do not want built in pming on the site its self. The forum is enough.

EDIT: Let me reword my completely inarticulate post

GPX= fail. 6 hours out of my life for one test when all I wanted to do was play a game. Was I going to use the Forums? NO. Did I honestly CARE where I was going to post? NO. All I wanted to do was play a game.

I am certain that many users don't use the forums and wouldn't want to. And it might actually end up taking up more usernames instead of freeing them up if people don't even use the additional services....

Edited by DarkEternity