kissxthestarz

Communication with other users

I think they mean like PMs on here. It would be kinda useful if one did not have a forum account.

You can still use the email button if you don't have an account, I believe. (And if you really don't want to give out your email to the other person, well then....)

If this is a suggestion for in-cave messaging, I vote no. I can see certain people *cough*prize owners*cough* being harassed. I dunno. I'm not for it, anyways~

Edited by xxBurningxx

I very VERY much hate the idea. But there is already a thread asking for this - I have no idea where.

Someone wants me - find me here. I don't want random people from all over being able to message me because they saw something on my scroll (or - and it has even happened here - want to know why it's called that... - after a dead cat, to save you all the effort !!!)

If this EVER happened it had better be optional with the default set to off.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm going to assume this was talking about PM'ing via the cave and go ahead and merge with the older thread about this. ^^

You can't avoid harassment no matter what you do (we even have that on the forum as there is a PM system here). There are pros and cons for everything. I'd like a sort of PM system on-site since not /everyone/ involved with DC uses the forums or IRC. Myself, I dislike using forums at all and would rather have an in-game message system.

My problem with these things (aside from being optional which has been discussed) is site resources.

I have a decent computer and net connection speed and I still hang at very beginning of drops. And given that holiday and new releases also seem to cause lag for many, I'm not sure what adding people messaging or hanging out and chatting on site would do.

If this was done in a manner that in no way slowed down the game, then I probably wouldn't mind (again, with it being an opt-in thing). But if this makes it even harder for people to hunt in the cave - especially those who already have trouble and seem to experience new issues on a much larger scale than those with super-speedy connections/computers - than I wouldn't be for it.

I personally would despise seeing the IRC become the "official" method of communication around here--because there are people who don't use it, and there are also people who CAN'T use it (myself included).

I would love to leave these forums and never come back, but that's not possible until we get something that isn't forum messaging or the IRC.

I personally would despise seeing the IRC become the "official" method of communication around here--because there are people who don't use it, and there are also people who CAN'T use it (myself included).

I would love to leave these forums and never come back, but that's not possible until we get something that isn't forum messaging or the IRC.

Love the forums, but IRC is NOT OK as the sole means to communication.

Do NOT want to see messaging directly via scrolls.

I think there should be a messaging system in the cave like the ones we have the in forums. Why? because if someone doesn't have a forum account or are inactive in forums but are active on DC, they can communicate with other players smile.gif

when they receive a message in this messaging system, it will notify them with a pop-up just like in forums. or DC could have a sidebar of a list of users online and you can engage in a conversation anytime, and they can respond actively since they're online. you can also change your status to "online", "away", or offline, etc.

i'm not really saying it's necessary but it'll definitely make communication a lot easier smile.gif

There are MANY threads about this. I'm on capped internet just now, so I'm not looking, but searching should bring them up.

I would support ONLY if this were TOTALLY optional. I have a different name on forum just because I do NOT want direct contract through my scroll.

But no to the "online/offline' indicator (another thing that has been suggested before) unless you can show as not telling. Which would be my choice if it appeared on my scroll.

Actual conversations - why not just use IRC chat ? or show your IM link.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I have mixed emotions about this. It might be beneficial to have the PM space in some instances, especially since my Forum mail tends to remain close to full. I have popups disabled, and run without javascript 99% of my online time.

I would not like having a conversation sidebar at all! I don't tend to do chat or IM anywhere, since my typing speed is ridiculously slow. I don't want to post my status. Unless I want an individual to know, it is no one else's business. That would just annoy me, and my dragons!

I do NOT want a chat box or other 'live' method of communicating on the Cave itself.

What I would like is a PM box. Just something to make contact between scrolls possible. It should be optional or have an easy way to opt out or an ignore feature. But I would really appreciate being able to message scroll to scroll.. provided the other player is willing.

Messaging System or PM System: Yes

A PM system with a character limit for messages would be nice. This would allow for easy communication between scrolls. If it could also have an ignore feature to be able to keep your messaging system open for friends/users, but having the ability to block spammers or rude people would be nice. A report feature would also be idea because if a user is being rude or saying derogatory things, it would be nice to report the user. Finally having an opt in/out option to allow users who would not use this feature or would rather not be bothered via DC to opt out and receive no messages would also be great. In terms of notifying users of a new message, at the top where your scroll alerts you of sick eggs/hatchlings, a notification could appear there saying "A new message has arrived" and show a pixel art envelope that users can click on to direct them to their inbox.

IM or Online chat list: No

A PM system is more than enough and with the IRC being a thing we don't need this. If the user does not use the IRC then the simple PM system should work just fine. They can share information about any outside IM systems they are on or other forms of contact so that they can chat outside of DC more comfortably.

I would like some sort opt-in PM feature in the cave, so I support this.

A PM system would be nice. My sister plays Dragon Cave on the same computer I do, and it would be nice to have a place to leave gifts other than a Notepad titled "A Gift for You!" when I feel like giving her something. smile.gif

Edited by Tehya Faye

fuzzbucket:

some people in the cave might not know what IRC chat is tongue.gif like me, i had no idea about it until a few months later and i barely or never use it

I appreciate your opinions smile.gif

Maybe the IM chat thingy would be a bad idea since spammers/rude people can take advantage of this but there could be an ignore button, if not, then the IM chat is probably not necessary at all

The only time there's an onsite link to DC's IRC is when the site goes down for maintenance. A lot of people probably don't even know an official one exists even if they're familiar with IRC chats in general.

Edited by Tehya Faye

The only time there's an onsite link to DC's IRC is when the site goes down for maintenance. A lot of people probably don't even know an official one exists even if they're familiar with IRC chats in general.

On top of the fact that like someone else they may feel like they type too slow to keep up with a conversation. I'm one of those and as such don't use the IRC chat at all.

I like both ideas, PM and IM. If there's an opt in/out button and ignore button either option is a good one imo. I'm one of those who spends more time on the cave than on the boards and a PM/IM system in the cave would make things easier smile.gif

I'd mostly like this on trades so I can tell people why I've declined something, or what they could do to change it (or, if I am an idiot and refused the wrong trade ¬_¬ ) etc etc.

A general PM system would be OK as long as I can have it switched to friends only. Dealing with my inbox is enough of a chore on the forum (and I am hardly swamped with them!); I don't want the same thing on the site as well.

IM I'm against. A link to the IRC would be OK, but I don't want one on site personally.

Real-time IMing I'd have to say no. Just... No.

A PMing system would be fine as long as it's completely optional.

Perhaps the PM system could work on a system like this:

A user has several options to control what happens to their messaging abilities:

1)  User allows ANYBODY to message them  (total opt-in to the system)

2)  User allows ANYBODY except users on a BLOCK list to message them (partial opt-out of the system)

3)  User allows only FRIENDS to message them, as determined by a friends list.  (partial opt-in to the system)

4)  User disallows all messaging from anybody.  (total opt-out of the system)

Then, to deal with the friend requests, there would be two options:

1)  The user allows ANYBODY to send them a request  (total op-in to the system)

2)  The user disallows ANYBODY to send them a request, but may send requests to others.  (partial op-in to the system)

3)  The user disallows ANYBODY to send them requests, and cannot send requests of their own.  (total opt-out of the system)

I totally support this. An in-cave PM system with the default set to "opted out" should not hurt anyone but could be very useful.

Want! smile.gif

I don't see any need for an IM/Chat system, though, that's what we have the forum or IRC chat for. If necessary, you can use the Scroll-to-scroll to discuss where to meet for a chat. wink.gif

Edited by Lastalda

I wish there was a link to the IRC on the site somewhere so that it would be more active =/ A lot of the times I'm around there it's just the same 2-4 people chatting.

A PM system would be really awesome if we could block certain people, especially because some people don't check their forum accounts and there are WAY more scrolls than there are people with forum accounts.

edit: wow a lot of people are saying no to a live-chat system? it's so much easier and better to communicate with people there but... ok =/

Edited by dragonstar

I would agree with a PM System, not a friend list system and not a chat system.

Though this brings up one problem:

For example, my brother is younger than me and has an account here. However my brother isn't allowed to sign up for websites that have such built in things and no sort of "parental control". Using your password to activate or deactivate these things wouldn't work as well, my brother kinda knows his own password.

I don't really like the friend list idea at all, as mentioned above. But a PM System and "contacts" list for easily sending PMs and/or writing in a quick blurb of info about them which could include their scroll, but it wouldn't be an automatic thing when they are added to your contacts.

Or maybe what I'm saying doesn't really matter and/or isn't that valid, maybe I just like how it works now tongue.gif

Edit:

Another reason why I don't want a live chat system is I don't want there to be a new group of people who just enjoy spamming that. I just don't want those people on the site, sure forums whatever. But not on the site. If that makes any sense.

Edited by Clya