Carolyn

Dragon naming themes

The prefix-y Coloratura, Fioritura or Tessitura depending on the breed of dragons. But I use them only once in a (long) while. The naming is all over the place on my scroll, from made-up names, to book/TV-show related and song/band related names to self-mixed phrase names and dictionary words.

I name most dragons similar to their parents and such. I don't have any other naming schemes to my dragon's names but I am thinking of renaming all +400 dragons with a surname but still haven't decided fully on that or not.

My registered surname is Draconis (and has been since I joined DC in December 2008), so all dragons have that. Some have a middle name designating a breeding project (like Virgata/Virgatus for PB Stripes, Sepulcralis for Rosebud x Silver Tinsel Tombstone lineage, etc). A large majority of their names are loosely related to Latin - exceptions are the 2008 Summer Start dragons, PB Magmas (volcanoes in Central & South America) and Pumpkins which tend to be more Celtic.

Edited by JaneMcAsh

All my dragons have 'Feng' at the end of their names. Also, each breed has an specific latin or greek based "surname" ( like Umbros/Umbra for Alt blacks, Ignatos/Ignati for reds, Sphingos/Sphinga for stripeds and so on, the full list is on my scroll in case you want to know them all I would die if I tried to place every surname here). First names are most of the time from parents, or for breed, like all my Ice dragons have russian names.

....I'm that silly... sleep.gif

I have a few mini themes

purples - cocktails: mai tai, salty dog etc.

magi - types of oranges, blood orange, osage orange, although my favorite magi is simply named taxicab

moonstones - songs with moon in the name:moonlight sonata, claire de lune, etc.

ochredrakes and harvest dragons- different types of mustard: honey dijon, grey poupon, etc.

horses - puritan names: much mercy, make peace, etc. I really wanted If-Christ-had- not-died-for- thee-thou-hadst- been-damned, but it seemed a little long. biggrin.gif

ochredrakes and harvest dragons- different types of mustard: honey dijon, grey poupon, etc.

Lol, seems we both had the same idea there because I have Huney Mustard and Lemon Mustard

Some, but not all, of my dragon breeds have surnames, and not all dragons of a specific breed will be given their breed's surname.

Black - Shikkoku

Canopy - Qraffa

Ribbon Dancer - Amariare

Coastal Waverunner - Kaigan

Ember - Ruinien

Flamingo - Michiki

Gold - Exali

Golden Wyvern - Exali

Harvest - Messis

Hellfire - Fayra

Pink - Michiki

Pygmy - Titilia

Red - Fayra

Spring - Frawrle

Summer - Lirle

Autumn - Ptrapile

Winter - Quivale

Silver - Tafane

Spitfire - Fayra

Stone - Goji

Ultraviolet - Fayra

Waterhorse - Ceku

I also have a small number of breeds with prefixes instead. Again, not all dragons will be given their breed's prefix.

Moonstone - Lune

Sunstone - Sol

White - Song of

I use the Zodiac, with Capricorn being forest, Pisces being water, Aquarius being magic, (BSA) etc.

I then use celestial for holiday dragons, and zodiac for pygmies.

I have a few exceptions, with names I really liked, but most fit the scheme smile.gif

The prefix-y Coloratura, Fioritura or Tessitura depending on the breed of dragons. But I use them only once in a (long) while. The naming is all over the place on my scroll, from made-up names, to book/TV-show related and song/band related names to self-mixed phrase names and dictionary words.

Same, pretty much. In a Poets of the Fall craze atm.

I formerly used to use 'Kai' as a surname for all my dragons, but I've semi-recently changed it to 'Ciccu'. Ciccuboa is Saurian for Lullakai, so I thought Ciccu (Lulla) would be a cute way of stamping my babies. happy.gif

Not all of them use the Ciccu surname though. Like many here, certain breeds adopt certain naming themes:

Black Marrows - 'Valenoir'

Shadow Walkers - 'Valeweiss'

Golden Wyverns - 'Fool' (they made me think of Fool's Gold)

CB Ridegwings - surname 'Painted Wings', with their first names being musical terms

CB Turpentines - the 'Monarch' and the 'Butterfly' families

Spitfires - 'Aquafire'

Lumina - 'Narcissus', though not all of them adopt the surname

CB Royal Blues - 'of Arcadia', with their first names being various characters from the videogame 'Skies of Arcadia'

Pillows - 'Pillowtalk'

That's all the ones I can think of. My excuse for not all of them having the 'Ciccu' or other family surname is that some dragons are stubbourn and individualistic, and don't want to be grouped together. tongue.gif

All my named waters have "Herensuge" in their name. Herensuge means "dragon" in the Basque language. smile.gif

I'm still coming up with breed-specific names.

Moonstone- Lunaris

Sunstone- Solaris

Magi- Malbright

Guardian- Valkea

Green- Earthshaper

Spotted Greenwing- Talis

Golden-horned Tangar- Tangarine

Albino- Aldrin

Harvest- Kinseed

Spitfire- Tereor

Deep Sea- Abyssoul

Coastal Waverunner- Seadragon (also, I try to make puns out of their names, such as "Hei Ima Seadragon".)

Royal Blue- Syvansin

Nebula- Lux

Sunsong- Linaeve

Ridgewing- Feyr

Silver- Miramar

Nocturne- L'Enfer (...I don't know why.)

Dorsal- Drexor

Crimson Flare Pygmies- Canaian

Seawyrm Pygmies- Maris

Nilia Pygmies- Arcana

I have three last names that I use for my dragons. All my Cbs and my Rares with nice lineages have the last name Visalia. My messy lineaged rares and low gen commons have the name Blackmoore. All the other end up with the last name Sforza.

This doesn't apply to my pygmies though. My female pygmies names are all Blessed something and my males are Brilliant something.

All my dragons, save the ones that are a part of various projects, like the Doctor Who/Star Trek ones, get the surname 'Durelen' - a wordplay from elvish words 'Elen', meaning 'Star' and 'Dur', meaning 'Dark' - so combined, you get 'Durelen' or 'Darkstar'.

My CBs and own lined dragons named "'Neverland" or "of Neverland".

The Tiny - Dragons are without family names. They prefer to be named with a songtitle. rolleyes.gif

Some of my Vamps were presents. For this I like to work out alternative given names with the real hunter of this egg.

All of the adopted dragons are allowed to retain its old name or at least a part of it.

For the most part, I don't have naming themes. I have some projects that have had naming themes. And I like to have a naming theme within a breed. But I don't usually stick anything specific on all my dragons. Once in a while, I wish I had but I've decided not to worry about it. smile.gif

There's a few running themes, and a few breed specific themes.

A chunk of my Blunas are named after the Traveling Wilburys, a supergroup that included George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison all under pseudonyms.

I could only come up with so many zombie-related names for my Soulpeaces, my favourite remains "Zombie Nightmare" (which from Mystery Science Theatre 3000) along with a few Army of Darkness names. ("Ash's Boomstick" got that name because she had "GUN" in her code.)

Some are named things like "Daikaiju ____," in that case they're named after Japanese monster movie monsters, mostly ones that showed up in Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Some are because they may have a vague resemblance to the monster, and some are more subtle. My Soulpeace "Daikaiju Barugon" is named so because the monster hatched from an egg that was mistaken for an opal. xd.png;

My two CB lightnings have Short Circuit themed names "Number Johnny Five" and "Stephanie Speck." (I love those movies and I don't care what anyone says!) My 3rd PB even gen lightnings from Rally Vincent all have names based off of the MST3k episode "The Final Sacrifice." (I can't believe I got "Zap Rosdower"!)

I grabbed as many names of tea that weren't taken for my black tea dragons. (There wasn't a lot left over!)

My Royal Crimsons have names based off the "Many Names of David Ryder" joke from MST3k. Most of the more well known ones like Big McLargeHuge were taken so I ended up having to get creative...

Seriously I just have a lot of dragons with names based off of MST3k jokes.

A ton of them have names based off of Electric Light Orchestra song titles. (Well, the titles that weren't generic enough to be taken already...)

And the rest are mostly just me being stupid. xd.png; I like it that way, though, I'll be scrolling through my dragons and often see a name that makes me giggle, and that can't be bad.

Edited by DorkJulian

I randomly wanted to form a Pink Dragon family that has the "_____ Stingray" naming theme, and this is the lineage of the latest bred Pink from the Stingray family. But I bred it whilst I was egg locked, so it dropped into AP. I wonder why no one has picked it up yet? It has less than 4 days left and I don't want it to die...

Several of my dragons are named after Transformers characters and then I have a couple that have names in various European languages. Or partially so anyway.

I end all my dragons' names with 'van Brabant' doesn't matter if they are caveborn or not.

If I got them from the AP I do however always check if the dragon already had a naming patern. If so, I put it in the name right before 'van Brabant'

There is one line on my scroll that I named 'van Oranje' because I based the line on the red, white and blue colours of the Dutch flag. But they are the only dragons on my scroll with a different last name.

I name lineaged dragons after their parents (or, if there is a family name that appears on multiple dragons in the lineage, I include that in their name). Usually I either combine their parents' names, or I give them two names: a unique first name, with a surname from their parents.

CB dragons/dragons with nameless parents are named according to their code. Sometimes it's hard to name a dragon after its code if it is mostly numbers or an unpleasant combination of Q's and X's and W's, but I figure it out.

I used to name dragons (mainly my Pillow army) in a much different way: CB's were given one-word names that I had managed to snag (such as 'Yarn'), 2nd gens were given foreign one-word names, and those with longer lineages were given random names, sometimes related to the names of their parents.

Some of My silver females were named in order for the lyrics of "Enter Sandman"

somehow two got mixed up so "To include everyone" comes before "Don't forget my son"

I am not hand rearranging my entire scroll to fix that though. dry.gif

I named my silver tinsels starting with with "Sparkling Silver-----" and Bronze/silver shimmer in a similar manner "Shimmering bronze/silver----"

Edited by skyie