Carolyn

Dragon naming themes

Most of my dragons (except purple Dorsals) Have the suffix "Fire" exept the frozen hatchlings which has "Flame" instead. ninja.gif

Almost all of my caveborn have "Thorngate" as their surname. For any dragon bred from one of the CB dragons have "of Thorngate" at the end of their names.

For all others, I do look at lineages and try to use parental names/lineage names if there are any.

I also recently joined "Teh Spork Wielders". Mainly because it sounded fun, had very few rules, and I just like saying "spork". So there are a few of my dragons that have some form of "spork" in their names.

I just have fun with it smile.gif

Edited by julesjag1

Most of my blacks are part of the Jalis clan.

Entropy, Enthalpy, SilverFail, GoldFail, and Wx. Sometimes other names slip in there.

Usually the names relate to the dragon somehow ... My lone CB Gold is "Entropy's Friends Rock" because he was snuck onto my scroll as a gift. Codes or parent names get referred to a good bit. The CB Magmas are volcano-related names, the Ice are named for glaciers, and so on.

Or the naming is done partly by a child and partly by myself then trying to be silly patching up a theme around what kiddo picked: http://dragcave.net/lineage/kaFe

The seasonal lineage dragons - the ones whose descriptions are "perfectly depicts {this season's} weather" - all get the prefix "Wx". Wx is shorthand for Weather. Most of those dragons, but not all, get names related to weather.

For example, most of the CBs in this particular Wx lineage have been named for weather radar returns or terminology, and it carries into the names of the offspring in one way or another:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/A6dt

It differs between breeds or groups of dragons. My Magi/White family all has Discworld related names (except my Thuwed white, who like all my thuweds, has a Saurian name) The CBs or parents have names of the books (Such as The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, A Hat Full Of Sky, etc etc) and the offspring generally have names of characters, like Twoflower and Tiffany. This was an old failed lineage before I knew anything about making a proper lineage x3

My Shallow Waters all have the surname Flood, due to one of them, Cillian Flood, being named after an awesome irish friend. A lot of my shallow waters (but not all) have names pertaining to other friends because of this.

My Waterhorses have the surname Runewright and a name that has 'lex' in it. The first one, Lexicus Runewright, is the name of a Runescape song. I had a phase of naming my dragons after Runescape songs (Autumn Voyage, Sea Shanty of Sarim, Woe of the Wyvern, Mudskipper Melody) and I liked the surname so much, I carried it on. I also name them with names that have lex in it. Lexicus, Lexie, Alexa, Almalexia...

Embers have the names of the three weapons needed to destory the Heart of Lorkhan; Wraithguard, Sunder and Keening. Harvests have names like "Harvest Moon" so Harvest Sun, Harvest Eclipse, etc etc.

My vampires all have names of vampires from Morrowind. Aundae, Berne and Quarra are the three vampire clans.

my Terraes have names to do with Red Dwarf episodes/creatures. Terrorform, Camille, Psiren, Polymorph, Emohawk

My Nebulas are all named pertaining to the old atari game Nebulus. I have the names of the game in other regions, various names of the protagonist and names of the companies.

Almost all my dragons have my prefix Starbit's or S-P's

All of my dragons have the same naming system of multiple words with no spaces. I always look back at a dragon's ancestors to find a name. For cave born, I usually try to find a name that fits the species. I love to add in lineage names, like the Flaming/Something Dragons or a Dorkface.

I don't use a special name for my dragons as a whole, since I have my name on my scroll already.

The main surname I use for all of my dragons is d'Anconia, but my frozen hatchlings and unbreedables are surnamed Ciqala. It always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see other people have carried on the d'Anconia name. happy.gif

The dragons on my scroll don't have a surname as a whole, but I have given a few breeds their own surnames... For example, my whiptails are Fleetfoots, and my day- and night-glories have the last names Solaris and Nocturnus, respectively. And all my pillows have the surname Pillowpelt.

Oftentimes when I pick up a lineaged egg, I'll look at the parents' names and use them when naming the offspring.

I have some! :3

Pinks are named after blossoms

My 4 Blacks are named after the Dark Series' De Le Cruz brothers (even though the dragons themselves aren't related)

Ruby breasts' have Amazon for surname

Coastal Waverunners are named after razorblades

Electrics are Ford Cars...

My Grays have something to do with their coloring

Hellfires are Malices

Magis were named for Alexandria and Aiden Savage of the Dark Series

My vampire is named after my boyfriend (if I can get a female she'll be Darth Malica)

Whiptails are song Lyrics

and my whites will be Windsongs. :3

Whiptails are song Lyrics

This reminded me that I am also in the process of making an army whose names are song lyrics--I have a ton of frozen pinks whose names make up the words to "Move Along" by the All-American Rejects.

That's awesome! My whiptails are the Zipitdee do da song I think from Disney? It just made sense to me.

The only connection between my names are that they are all in Mohawk. They are pretty plainly descriptive if you could read them xd.png.

That's awesome! My whiptails are the Zipitdee do da song I think from Disney? It just made sense to me.

That's a great song choice for whiptails. laugh.gif

My Alt. Nebulas and rares (and one Black/White) make up a little story at the beginning of my scroll and all my Whiptails have names that have to do with a book I'm writing.

All my Guardians have ____ Shield.

My Vines all start with a 'K' (except one special one) and have '-Un' at the end. ^.^

My Reds and Purples are all ____ Kage except for two.

My Drakes are all Fierce ____. biggrin.gif

My Skywings are all Spartan _____ or _____ Spartan except for one (Cortana X3).

All of my dragons have my clan name, Anu, in front of their names. Except for my inbred breeding project, and a few select others. No idea where it came from or how I came up with it. tongue.gif

My Dragons all get the surname "Stellaris"

Whoa, I have dragons descended form yours! ;D Awesome! ^^

I name all my Dragons with Anne McCafery's nameing sceme, (name)th. Except for my Pygmies, which I treat as Whers, so they're all (name)sk. And my PB Originals, the Leetle Family. biggrin.gif

I had to rename all my dragons after not visiting dragcave for a while. Still like 30 blacks to go (collected them like hell back then xd.png).

Well, mine are mostly "akani's _____" or "_____ of Heaven" or "_____ of Hell".

A few drags are "Ni ____" or "______ Ming" or "______ aka", but I'll continue with "_____ of Heaven" and "______ of Hell" now.

I wanted to call them all "_____ of Heaven", but I seriously couldn't name a Hellfire like that, that's why the darker and evil ones will be "_____ of Hell". xd.png

I don't have any particular family or lineage name I give my dragons, but each (most, a couple of my older dragons are named after things or only have one name) has two names that I follow a sort of code with.

First name is based off of the dragon's specific four (or now five) character code, while the second name describes them or their species in a Warrior cat style (two words put together into one name, pretty much).

Only my dinos and vines really have a 'theme'. The dinos being 'tea' lol. The vines all have the last name 'Zen'. smile.gif

I name pretty much all my dragons with the surname 'Veda'. Frozen hatchlings are 'Mera Veda'. I have one lineage project which I started some time ago which has 'of Amaroth' at the end. And I try to keep prefixes or suffixes from my dragon's parents. I have some dragons with crazy long surnames, with a first name of only two letters xd.png

I use "Of Rohan" at the end smile.gif

Maybe it's the "of rohan" that you wrote??

*w*

My pretty dragons are a bit famous... I'm feeling really important xd.png

Edited by -Rinikka-

Most of mine have the suffix "Smurf". Why? Because I love the Smurfs. smile.gif

I name all my vampires with "Saint" as their middle names. My main breeding pair for my lineage has the last name "Faust" and I have another personal lineage with hellfires and nebulas that I name after the Eberron setting from D&D.

And for the new pygmies (not the original ones), I give them palindromes for names (for those who don't know what a palindrome is, it means that a word or phrase is the same forwards as it is backwards, like "wow" or "Tiffyffit")

Edited by blackchimera

I use "Of Rohan" at the end smile.gif

Maybe it's the "of rohan" that you wrote??

*w*

My pretty dragons are a bit famous... I'm feeling really important xd.png

Yup certainly is! I came across an egg descended from yours biggrin.gif

Hehe, I have quite a theme, which I developed myself for good while. The build of my dragons' names depend on these factors:

- Stage of dragon

- Breed of dragon

- Gender of dragon

All of my dragons have prefix, middle name and suffix. The prefix, of course, is Moonlight.

The gender and stage of dragon tells me how many letters there comes into middle name before apostrophe.

- 4 for male adult

- 3 for female adult

- 2 for male hatchling

- 1 for female hatchling

- None for s1 hatchling

And finally, the suffix, depends completely on breed of the dragon. If there are variations of color from the breed or alts, they get named differently according to the variation.

This way, the dragon is member of Moonlight Dragon Clan (while being on my scroll).