Carolyn

Dragon naming themes

My dragons either have some obscure-stupid quote as a name or some terrible/not funny pun about said name

now my lineaged dragons I try to follow the lineages themes as best as I can, but we all mess up in some spots

most of my mints are named Peppermint (food with p at start) and thats the only theme i really have

I'm only about halfway through naming my dragons at the moment. I had planned on half creating a language to name them with but gave up for being to difficult/time consuming.

I have several different groupings of dragons:

The main one is the Marble Cup Cavern and they are all getting names based on a simple letter switching cipher, with the last name denoting CB (P'dor), bred on my scroll (P'eng), pretty lineages from others (P'tal) or Messy (P'sae). Holiday dragons are in this group but they get English names.

The next grouping I haven't really decided on as I keep changing what I want to do with it. I considered all of them with single word names, then thought I'd give them codes + names (kinda like James Bond - 007) but not sure and it is not a priority right now.

I have naming schemes for all my BSA species as well but there is probably too much detail to explain here.

Then I have my Hitchhiker Hatchery where I am naming all of them in order to reproduce the radio series of the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy. Not sure how far along I want to go, probably just until I get bored.

Then I have a few hatchlings to keep cool names on and adults that I will either zombify or that I got early on and are emotionally attched to and they are pretty much fair game when it comes to naming!

So I kind of have a system but it is far from homogenous ^^

All my Halloween ones have the last name 'Samhain' for obvious reasons and all my Valentines are St. Jude after the patron saint of hopeless causes.

I usually make sure my dragons either have titles (e.g. Mimfux the Strong) or surnames (Elder Pippa Girundh).

All my CBs have the prefix "Elder" smile.gif--I'm still thinking of prefixes to use for 2G, PB, etc.

I wouldn't call it exactly a naming theme, but I have a bunch of dragons with "LOOK MUM I'M (insert-something-here)", and that's it.

I use the prefix MM for my dragons, and I often name them in a way related to their parents or lineage if I can. CB dragons that I catch during their release usually have a particular theme and it carries on to their offspring, but anything else is just random names I think of. tongue.gif

I give my copper gang theme names - offspring of my CB Copper/Gold pair are all called "Golden ___", and offspring of my 2nd-gen copper Golden Verdigris and my Shimmer Hunter's Risk have different theme names depending on which of the breeds they are - their copper offspring and descendants all have "Hunter('s)" in their name, while their shimmer offspring (only one so far) have "Risk" in their name. In the latter case, it should actually be the other way around, as the "Hunter" part comes from the fact that Risk is descended from the original Shimmer named "Royal Huntress".

(Coppers and Shimmers unrelated to these pairs don't get themed names, though.)

I also don't know what I'll do re: naming if my Copper/Gold pair ever produces a gold offspring...

Most of the CBs and offspring on my scroll who aren't involved in breeding projects are named ----Gwyllion. There are a few CBs floating around my scroll without the suffix, but I'm not planning on using them for anything special lineage wise.

Christmas dragons! A few of mine are named after their generous donors, but the rest, I've named using bits of Christmas carol lyrics. :-)

I've chosen "of Varilia" as a sort of surname for all my dragons. Since I'm currently on a CB scroll attempt it works pretty well. Although if I do pick up a lineaged egg (holidays, prize dragons etc.) I try to name after the parents and then put "of Varilia" at the end, which makes for a few very long names. ^^'

Recently I've been thinking of starting a naming scheme for "first names" as well, but I haven't decided on anything yet.

I only have one egg at present, but found this thread extremely helpful. I think I'm going to give all of my caveborns the surname of my username, Foxfire, and the ones I rescue or get as gifts will have a last name from their oldest ancestors. If I breed a caveborn with a rescue or gift dragon, I'll end up giving it a hyphenated surname, first the original family name, then Foxfire. As far as first names being breed specific, I might try that and then later decide it's too hard to stick by. Maybe my dragons will end up with a first, middle (breed specific) and surname.

My Magi dragons are named "Tangerine" with words that have to do with magic, such as Tangerine Sorcerer and Tangerine Illusionist.

Most of my dragons have "Fiore" or a variation of it (depending on if they're CB, bred, inbred, etc.) as their surname. The rest are different from lineage projects, set pairs, and the like.

I don't have one name for all of mine, but I do love finding a theme for each breed.

Example:

My Black Marrows - all end in "of the Red Bones", So I have Lord of the Red Bones.

My Shadow Walkers - all include Spectral in their names, like Spectral Evidence.

My Nhiostrifes - their egg description says it is dull in color, so all of them have Dull in their name, like The Dull Blade.

The family name for all of my dragons is Brisingr....I always thought it was a good name so I use it as the last name for most (if not all) of my dragons

I stick Prince in the front of all my names to try and double check that they are available.

Most are named from books that I've enjoyed that have dragons, or games. Most have been names from Eragon of dragon names but I throw in names from other books that I feel fit.