Carolyn

Dragon naming themes

I've always like looking through other peoples scrolls purely to see their names. Some people have random names that go with the breed of the dragon, some people have names inspired by the lineage of the particular dragon and some people have a name that links all their dragons.

Some of the great ones I've seen are so and so "Of Rohan" and ofcourse the Thuwed and Dorkface family names that follow down generations.

Do you have a 'theme' or family name you give to your dragons? If you pick up and egg that's not cave born will you check what names have been in that dragons linage and follow along?

So far I've been checking every egg I pick up for lineage names and nearly all have been named connecting them to their forefathers. I even happily today discovered a couple of Dorkfaces. However all of my dragons have the last name of 'Tor'.

Aet'hir but normally I just name them whatever I feel like.

the last name of all my dragons is Remus

and if it is a thuwed or dorkface i call it ..... dorkface-Remus smile.gif

I've decided that I'm going to name all my Pinks "something" Of The End. smile.gif

And my Blacks all have the surname Bane Of "something"

I have three family names at current. Australis, which is a catchall for pretty much anything. Borealis refers to caveborns of certain breeds and their purebred offspring. Undarum refers to sea-faring dragons.

My Dragons all get the surname "Stellaris" though if I happen to stumble across an egg that has nicely named parents or an obvious lineage name going on, I try to incorporate that into the dragon's name.

As for my Caveborn dragons and their direct offspring, they get an additional suffix (Prime) added to the scroll surname.

My CB pinks are Arundels, 2nd gen pinks are Becketts, 3rd gen pinks are Carters and so on :3

All non-pink dragons are free game for wierd & random names, and I don't name my holiday dragons >.<

Each breed gets a breed-specific surname that I use for all caveborns and their offspring (often the word for the breed or something related translated to Greek)

AP eggs or traded non-CB eggs and their offspring get names referring to their parents.

I have two family names on my scroll, Aeschere and Turningleaf. All descendants of certain dragons get those names. I try to keep track of the Aescheres more though, and am making an effort to get all of the dragons breeds possible into the family. I think I have four more breeds to go before I have to wait for specific holidays.

Edited by Princess Artemis

Yes, most of my dragons have a naming theme specific to their breed. smile.gif My favourite theme is the theme I have for my current Stripes (and the future coloured Stripes), all of which have a surname ending in -gold. I am planning to make a mini-lineage with them, which should look rather pretty once they finally start producing coloured Stripes. happy.gif

I do have a sort of kennel name. Von Elegance. I only use them on CB (not all my CB do have it tho), PB and sometimes, some of the offspring.

I don't have family names but I do have prefixes. Xo/Jxo for CBs (makes breeding way easier), Rouh/Necv for prolific breeders, and special prefixes for holiday dragons.

Rama is my prefix and all my dragons get it. All my CB's are named by breed attribute, or a theme. An example would be all my reds being named after something regarding fire, all my pinks are named sort of as a joke (my first pink was dubbed Turkish Delight after I asked a friend to think of something pink, sweet and something boys would like), all of the Pink clan have followed the Middle Eastern candy name theme. All the names I pick can easily pass down in part to offspring, based on ingredients and whatnot.

If I pick up obviously lineaged names, they get to be called "Rama something of Lineage S" (S for second gen even, T for third gen even and so on), or are otherwise named after their parents as I can manage.

I have two TES: III Morrowind themed families, and I hope to start more. The Fyr family is a spitfire lineage, and the Hlaalu family is a pygmy lineage. They all have randomly generated Morrowind Dark Elf first names.

My scroll suffix name is "Dragos" sometimes I have individual dragon lineage names. But my registered suffix name is Dragos. The majority of my dragons have it, the ones that don't are just the ones that I either named for their parents or I had a project in mind at the time.

Just realized, one of my smaller family names is "Clan Seme". I haven't breed anything from that line recently, but what I keep I name "___ of Clan Seme".

Edited by Ethril Dragon

If I ever get around to naming my dragons, they all get Elvish names. Usually I just take a few words related to the breed and get a rough translation of them, and that's what the dragon's name ends up being. Then when I go through and describe some dragons, I use the literal translation of the name to come up with an idea.

I typically only use a prefix or suffix for the short term, usually for specific projects.

Skirata <--my personal line for a while

Copikla Dracus <-- old common rescue project prefix

Drek- <--current prefix for rescued commons

I have a dragon called Skullduggery Pleasant, and all his offspring I have kept either have the surname pleasant or a name relating to the Skullduggery Pleasant books. I also have my Ular'Naga clan which is a particular even-gen gaia clan. I often have names run in families though, and I often name AP catchs or gifts after the parents dragons. smile.gif

All my dragons will get name themes, but only the CB ones. My goal is to get 8 CBs of each breed I like (which excludes dorsals, balloons, seasonals and stones and geodes for now). Some of my dragons won't get themes, so I guess not all of them will. Bred dragons get named after parents usually.

Some of the themes I have:

Embers: diseases and infections

Pillows: things your mother told you not to do

glories: ridiculous names for gods and goddesses

hellfires: odd store names

sunsongs: tropical land + sun for males, or song for females

mints: violent sentences

BBW: green fruit and veggies

terra: forms of the word "annoyed"

swallowtail: birds of paradise

flamingos: fictional nurses and doctors

I don't have a scroll-wide name and don't plan to. I don't name dragons when I don't feel like it, so many may go without names for months. I also don't take dragon naming seriously.

They all end in -th as are Anne McCaffrey's dragons of Pern. Some are named after characters from books and anime/manga, but for the most part it's completely made up and random. For a while I was going thru the alphabet, using the next letter for the first letter of their name, but I got tired of tracking it and now stick with the -th theme.

I don't do family names or anything, but if something's related and constantly showing up on the breeding list, I'll put something in the name that's close to each other. Scroll wide, I use Even as a prefix for even gen, Fresh for cave born, and impure or toxic for inbred finds (Will be redoing those prefixes with something more creative eventually...)

Though, I'm using Spider a lot with my related Nebulas and their offspring.

all my 3rd gen and higher even gens are named with the suffix "Lizard", along with any additional highly-regarded names (like Dorkface, Thuwed, etc.). and 2nd gens are named with the suffix "Lzrd". i try to have the name passed down, so offspring on other peoples scrolls carry on the name also.

all holidays and alts are named in Saurian.

if you ever find a random egg in the AP where the parents have the suffix Lizard, then youve caught yourself a nice even gen surprise tongue.gif

Winter's all have 'Aisu' at the beginning of their names save for Hyourinmaru's Angel and Hitsugaya-Toushiro

Ridgewings all have 'Peak' at the end of their names

female Skywings start with 'Kaze' and the males 'Rasengan'

Daydreams all end with 'Fantaji'

Nocturnes where named after floors of The World That Never Was from Kingdom Hearts 2. Some don't match the name exactly but I made it as close as I could *shrugs*

Stripes I try to put 'Sterling' somewhere in the name

And my Neotropicals end with 'Silvertree'