Carolyn

Dragon naming themes

I have no specific naming pattern. Usually I just type a bunch of nonsense and edit it so it looks good and fits the breed, like A'ssahra and Oohooria (I got a description comment from someone saying that the name Oohooria reminded them of Star Treck. Not at all what I had in mind when I was naming her.). Others are based off of the breed and/or its coloring like Bluett, Fier'an, and Iciryi, again with random and completely unpronounceable spellings. I have a few that are named after book/movie characters, like Emryss Merlin, Fessran, and Ezrulie. Though I do have one family; four of my Nebulas are named ____ Stardancer (Not sure if four dragons count as a family though.).

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

Vampires=Deadly __(plant)

Blacks=Night__

Marrows=Darkest__

Sunsets=Sacred__

Bronze tinsels=Bronze __ (time of day)

Embers=__ River

Fellfires=Fiery__

Nebulas=__ Lights

Greys= Hurricane __

Moonstones= __ Dancer

The names of the types of dragons on my scroll.

Most of my water-themed dragons - Waters, Deep Seas, Waverunners, Water Walkers, Water Horses, Blunas, Goldfish and now Seawyrm Pygmies have the family name Aubreii, after the character Captain Jack Aubrey from Patrick O'Brian's seafaring novels

Ooooh, I like. biggrin.gif

I don't use a family/lineage/scroll name, all mine are named after the style of the cat's names in the Warriors book series. Any S1 frozens are named something describing the color/breed with the suffix '-kit', S2's get the suffix '-paw', and adults have prefixes describing the traits/breed/color and suffixes describing the traits/color/personality of the particular dragon.

I sometimes name after parents. Usually keep Thuwed and Dorkface names. But other than that, I don't... except for specific lineages that I make, but those are different matters.

Mine are named mostly by breed, where there's a pattern -- since I'm newish, I keep getting stuck the first time I get a new breed of any dragon! It always takes me a few days to figure out how I'm going to approach that species.

Any Pygmy breed = (musical term) + Zephyr

Any Drake breed = (breed of songbird) + Zephyr (offspring use parental name combo)

(I think I have some image in my head of a sort of "small-dragon preserve," where all the Drakes and Pygmies live in harmony, so Zephyr Farms it is! Any unwanted pygmies and drakes are always welcome to make their home there. And perhaps we provide eggs to responsible owners, too...)

Ember = Adjective-Noun or Noun-Verber

Shadow Walkers = AdjectiveNoun from a spooky poem or short story

Spitfire = (color of natural glass) + Fulgurite

Red, nice lineage = Blood + (R-name)

Red, messy lineage = Blood + (non-R name)

CB Magi = (name of Greek deity) + Dios/Diosa

2nd-gen Halloween lineage Magi = (name) + Esprit

3rd-gen Halloween lineage Magi = (name) + Whisper

2nd-gen Magi = mostly Nadsat words, after I named an early one A Clockwork Magi

Pink, nice lineage = (adjective) + Foxglove

Pink, messy lineage = (adjective) + Orchid

CB Coastal Waverunners = sea chanty title

Skywing = (name) + Cielo

Nocturne = something related to the blues

CB Terrae = (species of tree) + Grove

Water = (shade of blue) + Nektos

Purple (males) = (fertility god) + Pan

Purple (females) = (fertility goddess) + Gaia

For the others, either I don't own any of that sort yet, or I only have one or two and don't have a pattern yet, or else I named them based on their parents' names. I like to continue family names if the parents' owner is cool with it. smile.gif

I am trying to name my spits with the prefix/suffix (can't remember which goes at the end of a name. xd.png) 'disposition'.

e; sorry for the huge bump. Didn't see the post date of the last name until /after/ I posted. e.e

Edited by Ashes The Second

I use "Aglarond" as a surname for all my CB dragons. It's the name of a cave system in The Lord of the Rings.

My other surnames are all Elvish:

Vanesse--means "beauty," for pretty lineages

Ruukina--means "disordered," for messy lineages

Firin--means "dead," for lineages that have tombstones in them

I also name (first names) based on code, parent's names, or random thoughts, depending on my mood.

The only dragons I have that don't follow this pattern are unbreedables and frozen hatchies.

Edited by Amberfly

Mine is still a work in progress but this is what I got:

These are my last names I am using to date:

Thurgix (which means crippled) for all dragons that I picked up that are inbred or I just do not like the linage.

These are ones that I like the linage or are cave born:

Vutha = Black

Achuak = Green

Kaegro = Undead (so vampires and zombies)

Hinten = Dorsal dragons

Elektrisch = Electric

Brasa = Ember

Hesjing = Water

Ossalur = for magi dragons (means travel)

Thurkear = night (for moonstone dragons)

Ponota = Pink

Lila = Purple

Charir = Red

Terebintina = Turpentine

Chicoterabo = whiptail

The last name part is still be added to as I get which dragons will be named what. (Given that I do not have all dragons some might start to change as I get more and more.) A few are also using names off the linage as a last name.

First names I am mostly using a dragon name gen. Which adds male a female prefixes (is, osa, and one other) commonly onto the end of the male varent.

Is mine complex yes, some last names are dragonic some are taken from different languages.

Edit: Also if anyone has any suggestions that go with my growing theme of last names. Send me a PM. I could even gen a random name if you want lol.

Edit 2: My one prize dragon uses what I would use as a last name as a first name, but uses the bad linage last name as a last name. So Aujiris Thurgix = Bronze Cripple

Edited by Redlaw

My Dragons all get the surname "Stellaris" though if I happen to stumble across an egg that has nicely named parents or an obvious lineage name going on, I try to incorporate that into the dragon's name.

Funny; I use a suffix name Stellara.

I use Stellara, Caliga, Luminus, Zephania, and for my favourites, Silvera.

All of my Vampires are based off a character of mine's (of whom my SN comes from) family line. so (Vampire's name) Of Sanguine Ankh.

My Seasonals are all based of the Myth of Demeter so Demeter's (Negative things for fall and winter because of her daughter being with hades, Positive for Spring and Summer because that is when Persephone is returned to Demeter)

I'm trying to name all my Turps after words in the Love potion #9 song (Have to get creative since most of the names are taken lol)

But mostly my dragons are just family names...

I have one name for firey colors, one for black and white, one for blue, one for purple, etc.

Nytor ___ for my purebred line of moonstones (although CBs added to the lineage don't have this name, only their offspring)

_____ Dusk for my Night Glories (PB/CB), _____ Dawn for the Day Glories.

Kyrdol _____ for my Nebbies (only have one so far... ;____;)

Deep Seas have Mor____, and Two-Heads have Pandryl ______. Ridgewing females have Aul____, and males have Tae_____.

Pink dragons get Vol _____, and Royal Blues get Vyr ______.

Most of the names are in Elvish (yay for common to elf translators!) because I'm an Inheritance fan, what with the Elvish = Ancient language = true name thing. xd.png

I only really have names for my Gold Metallics and they are all named from the series Harry Potter with the suffix HP . Edited by defrog

JUST developing this one actually.

First, all my CB dragons have only a first name. Now matter how hard I have to try to get a normal name with no prefix or suffix or number or ideally no mispelling, this will be the only way I name cbs.

Any dragons with unattractive lineages (unintentional) will be relegated to the back section of my scroll if not abandoned, or otherwise grouped with their BSA clusters (i have a lot of ugly purples etc) These will have random funny names.

Otherwise any nicely lineaged dragon will be named a first name with a last name built out of its lineage. This last name will come from a chart I've thrown together attributing a single appropriate word to each dragon breed.

Ex. Tan Ridgewings = Lace

Pink Sweetling = Powder

So the offspring of a tan and sweet will be something like "Lolita Powderlace"

The order of the words in the last name goes father then mother.

This will allow me to know the dragons better by their name and my scroll is already sorted by cb, second gens, third gens, etc.

I'm also going to make a prefix for staircases and any purebred dragons just get the second word "Pure" so a pb tan ridge, instead of being "Lacelace" will be "Purelace"

I know it's convoluted, but it's only for my benefit (though I do plan to draw up the chart in googledocs and link it in my profile lol) and I wanted something unique that would be guarenteed to sound good in any combo. Plus I have a lot of downtime at work. And I have a bit of a thing for listing/organizing things...

_____ Iro

Iro means Color, Colored, or Color of

and I fill "_____" with some japanese romaji word that fits the breed.

Ex.: '09 X-mas Snow Angel - Yuki Iro so Snow Colored or Color of Snow, etc.

JUST developing this one actually.

First, all my CB dragons have only a first name. Now matter how hard I have to try to get a normal name with no prefix or suffix or number or ideally no mispelling, this will be the only way I name cbs.

Any dragons with unattractive lineages (unintentional) will be relegated to the back section of my scroll if not abandoned, or otherwise grouped with their BSA clusters (i have a lot of ugly purples etc) These will have random funny names.

Otherwise any nicely lineaged dragon will be named a first name with a last name built out of its lineage. This last name will come from a chart I've thrown together attributing a single appropriate word to each dragon breed.

Ex. Tan Ridgewings = Lace

Pink Sweetling = Powder

So the offspring of a tan and sweet will be something like "Lolita Powderlace"

The order of the words in the last name goes father then mother.

This will allow me to know the dragons better by their name and my scroll is already sorted by cb, second gens, third gens, etc.

I'm also going to make a prefix for staircases and any purebred dragons just get the second word "Pure" so a pb tan ridge, instead of being "Lacelace" will be "Purelace"

I know it's convoluted, but it's only for my benefit (though I do plan to draw up the chart in googledocs and link it in my profile lol) and I wanted something unique that would be guarenteed to sound good in any combo. Plus I have a lot of downtime at work. And I have a bit of a thing for listing/organizing things...

Where do you think mine came from (for the last name) while I do not have a job yet (it time for me to start hoping). I have a lot of free time so I am thinking on how best to name my dragons. Like I am still adjusting how I am doing it. Thinking of adding something for just BS like yours only have a first name.

Where do you think mine came from (for the last name) while I do not have a job yet (it time for me to start hoping). I have a lot of free time so I am thinking on how best to name my dragons. Like I am still adjusting how I am doing it. Thinking of adding something for just BS like yours only have a first name.

Well my lineaged dragons' last names are to indicate which dragons they are to me when I'm breeding them so I don't have to memorize 500+ names tongue.gif

Plus it's a practical mock-up of my naming idea I'm using in a novel =D

My scroll's family name is Fate. Every dragon, except the two lineages I made with specific names to match a theme, has it. The inbred dragons are a'Fate.

Some of my breeds have different themes as well:

Pinks are named after pink flowers.

Reds are alphabetical, two times around.

Valentine's are "I love you" in different languages.

Nebula are named after Nebula.

Ridgewings are named after mountains.

Dorsals are named after Centauri characters from Babylon 5.

Otherwise a lot of them are named after breed characteristics.

My dragons all were originally going to have the surnamed "Mav" Like my scroll user did. But now I'm going through and slowly renaming all my CBs to have the name "Mavre", Then from there dragons bred with my CBs will have the surname "Mav" I don't know what I'm going to be naming dragons from other people(Unless they come from a lineage in which case they always get that name).

I have different family name themes for all of my dragons, and then I also have different naming themes for different lineage projects. My current themes are:

Split - Talaya/Talayao

Albino - Mali/Malio

Balloon - Basca/Boscu

Black - Black

variations: Loki (Loki's army blacks) / Tsuki (Loki's alt army blacks)

Bluna - Acnai/Acnao

BBW - Faya/Fayu

variations: Feral (Bright-breasted waverunners project)

Canopy - Blair

Christmas Holidays - Horali/Horal

Coastal Waverunners - Emona/Emon

variations: Feral (Bright-breasted waverunners project)

Vines - Jama/Jamao

Daydreams - Dana/Danao

Deepsea - Dornea/Dorneo

Dorsals - Asaki/Asako

Electric - Electa/Electo

variations - Kuro Elekta/Kuro Elekto (Tsubasa)

Ember - Puta/Putan

Flamingo Wyvern - Quon

Frill - Rota/Rotan

Geode - Lenora/Lenoro

Glory Drakes - Anatsi/Anatsu

Golds - Alyrir

Shallow Water - Taya/Tayan

Gray - Zephyr

Green - Vymi/Vymu

Spotted Greenwing - Myta/Mytao

Guardian - Aita/Aito

GW - Nicka/Nickao

Pumpkin - Spice

Black Marrow - Lehava

Shadow Walkers - Ateni/Aten

Harvest - Axaca/Axaco

Hellfire - Ehva/Evao

Horse - Zevana/Zevanao

Ice - Queen _ Levinai/King _ Levinan

Water - Atapta/Atapto

Magi - Byrari/Byrar

Magma - Clicaya/Clicayo

Mint - Dilasha/Dilashao

Moonstone - Ataclaptoa/Ataclapto

Nebula - Elitoa/Elito

variations: Blackout Elitoa/Blackout Elito (blackout lineage)

Neos - Fyra/Fyru

Nocturne - Gliapi/Gliapo

Ochredrake - Hyvala/Hyvalao

Pillow - Acorna/Acornao

Tinsels - Akira/Akirao

Pink - Jyla/Jylao

Purple - Kyta/Kytao

Pygmy - Lyra/Lyrao

Dark Myst - Acorti/Acortu

Crimson Flare - Afura/Afurao

Misfit - Aki/Aku

Nilia - Amaynora/Amaynoru

Seawyrm - Antica/Anticao

Red - Mylora/Mylorao

Ridgewing - Nifani/Nifanu

Royal Blue - Alona/Alano

Seasonals - Otenski/Otensku

Silvers - Anatari/Anataru

Skywing - Petala/Petalao

Spitfire - Quasis

Stone - Revali/Revalu

Stripe - Sabre/Sabrea

Sunrise - Tatari/Tataru

Sunset - Uveri/Uveru

Sunsong - Vylora/Vylorao

Sunstone - Alatia/Alatio

Swallowtail - Atira/Atirao

Gold-horned Tangar - Lilari/Lilaru

Terrae - Wyra/Wyru

Thunder - Xoca/Xoco

Turpentine - Ansuchi/Ansucho

Valentine holidays - Manelia/Manelio

Vampires - Yvari/Yvar

Water Walkers - Atara/Atarao

Whiptails - Anati/Anatu

Waterhorse - Zilara/Zilarao

White - Aconachi/Aconachio

Paper - Origami

Cheese - Cheese

Dinos - Aenaico

I have a few more coming, but those are the ones I have right this moment, ^^;

My reds all have names having to do with the color red and/or emotions that have to do with red.

My Magis (mostly) have all orange type names, though I am making a Borgias like for my Shallows

my pinks all have to do with pink things (of course)

my stones are all named after well stone... The Geo's after precious stones

and really, these are all renames because I was gone for so long I lost the originals lol.

I normally try to give all my dragons names in different languages, preferably Japanese and Romanian, but if I got a Dragon with a Lineage with actual names instead of the code lineages I am getting then I'd name them after the parents.

I wish I could use Hieratic, then I'd rename all mine in that language....But mine has no real theme to them, just to be named.

Edited by White-Sword-Master