MisaTange

Name Check Thread

No, it is my own expression of disappointment that I find funny. Just worried, my school has recently banned the word stinks, so Idk what people think is bad, or acceptable.

As I said, forum censored words, adult themes, and slurs are all things to avoid. We are not so extreme here, just PG-13ish.

If you would post it on the forum with no problem, it's likely okay. If you would be unsure about posting it on the forum, you likely shouldn't use it as a name. Hopefully that guideline helps a bit?

Is it alright to name a dragon after something in history? I have a dragon with a code and It sounded like a type of name for a plane so I looked it up and I found this: http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/hudson/A16-19.html

The dragon's code.

I wanted to name it: Hudson A-16, I'm waiting for a yay or nay before I actually name it. unsure.gif

Alternate would be: Sea A-16 Gemmy

Edited by Syiren

Is it alright to name a dragon after something in history? I have a dragon with a code and It sounded like a type of name for a plane so I looked it up and I found this: http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/hudson/A16-19.html

The dragon's code.

I wanted to name it: Hudson A-16, I'm waiting for a yay or nay before I actually name it. unsure.gif

OF course it's OK, names are NOT OK if they'd be censored on the forums because of PG-13-ness. The setting-appropriate rule only goes for descriptions, not names wink.gif

The dragon's code.

Agree with Herk. Those are fine

OF course it's OK, names are NOT OK if they'd be censored on the forums because of PG-13-ness. The setting-appropriate rule only goes for descriptions, not names wink.gif

Okay, thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure. happy.gif

I'm pretty sure this name is okay-- it's part of a memorable quote-- but since posting her to the dragon codes thread, I wanted to make sure before anyone overly sensitive tried to lynch me.

So question : what happens when one of your dragon's name is reported?

I *might* (emphasis on might, seeing as i can't find any of my dragons containing that word on my scroll) have named one or two of my scalies with a name containing the 3 letter F word which rhymes with bag. I learnt not long ago the homophobic meaning of the word, speaking english mostly with brits or non natives who use that word with the intention of talking smokes. I was genuenly confused when i saw some multiplayer game chat (namely league of legends) censoring the use of the word (and even more later when i saw some users throwing the word in each and every one of their sentences as soon as they oppened their chat window).

On the same level, the french word for shower is a 6 letter D word that is banned here, and beeing french and having a truckload of shiny pixels on my scroll (all named), i sometime chose a random word and/or combo of french word (often regarding events that happen to happen to me the day i'm on a naming spree) when i have no ideas of what name i'm gonna give to the dragon, ie; censorkip.gif** Ecossaise, litterally scottish shower (the fact that the water is randomly going from hot to cold to hot while you're showering) or Petit censorkip.gif** meaning little bundle of wood/branch.

And the same goes in reverse. Pipe is a quite normal word for you, but has two meanings in french; one quite innocent of a smoking pipe, the other a lot more innapropriate (something about 'blowing' things. -Oddly enough-, this use is the more common nowadays).

I don't think any mod has time to review those case by case, but it means there can be some mistakes in names reports. Seeing as inapropriate names can lead to death\loss of all names\removal of the naming ability, i'm unsure of the fairness of the report system. And unless DC goes through a strictly english naming system, it won't ever be.

On the other hand, could you clarify something for me (i want to be sure i've understood the topic of inaproppriateness) a name like ****head would go to the inapropriate cathegory, but Poohead would pass the test?

Sorry if my rambling is borderline incomprehensible, i've pulled an all-nighter and my post is probably loaded with grammar\spelling mistakes i wouldn't do if i had been able to get a few hours of sleep. The fact that i'm on my phone doesn't help either.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

The dragon's name that I'd love to check here: Bub And Grub

The dragon's lineage link: click

I hope its name is ok - tried to name it after its dad's code xd.png

Thank you, guys, so much in advance! smile.gif

I *might* (emphasis on might, seeing as i can't find any of my dragons containing that word on my scroll) have named one or two of my scalies with a name containing the 3 letter F word which rhymes with bag. I learnt not long ago the homophobic meaning of the word, speaking english mostly with brits or non natives who use that word with the intention of talking smokes. I was genuenly confused when i saw some multiplayer game chat (namely league of legends) censoring the use of the word (and even more later when i saw some users throwing the word in each and every one of their sentences as soon as they oppened their chat window).

On the same level, the french word for shower is a 6 letter D word that is banned here, and beeing french and having a truckload of shiny pixels on my scroll (all named), i sometime chose a random word and/or combo of french word (often regarding events that happen to happen to me the day i'm on a naming spree) when i have no ideas of what name i'm gonna give to the dragon, ie; censorkip.gif** Ecossaise, litterally scottish shower (the fact that the water is randomly going from hot to cold to hot while you're showering) or Petit censorkip.gif** meaning little bundle of wood/branch.

And the same goes in reverse. Pipe is a quite normal word for you, but has two meanings in french; one quite innocent of a smoking pipe, the other a lot more innapropriate (something about 'blowing' things. -Oddly enough-, this use is the more common nowadays).

I don't think any mod has time to review those case by case, but it means there can be some mistakes in names reports. Seeing as inapropriate names can lead to death\loss of all names\removal of the naming ability, i'm unsure of the fairness of the report system. And unless DC goes through a strictly english naming system, it won't ever be.

On the other hand, could you clarify something for me (i want to be sure i've understood the topic of inaproppriateness) a name like ****head would go to the inapropriate cathegory, but Poohead would pass the test?

Sorry if my rambling is borderline incomprehensible, i've pulled an all-nighter and my post is probably loaded with grammar\spelling mistakes i wouldn't do if i had been able to get a few hours of sleep. The fact that i'm on my phone doesn't help either.[/size]

When a name is reported to us, we (mods) report it to TJ and he decides. I think poohead would be fine.

Ae0nian, that name should be fine.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Is "Suk" okay? It is Saurian for "Cat".

Also, is "Fuk" okay as it is Saurian for "Pet"?

Edited by EnderEcho

Is "Suk" okay? It is Saurian for "Cat".

Also, is "Fuk" okay as it is Saurian for "Pet"?

I think it would depend on how the words are used and what other words are used with it.

If the words are being used for censor evasion with the excuse that in saurian they mean so and so I would think it wouldn't be acceptable.

Edited by rubyshoes

Kay, I will give my Bright Breasted Wyverens the surname "Saurian". Is that better?

Sorry if my rambling is borderline incomprehensible, i've pulled an all-nighter and my post is probably loaded with grammar\spelling mistakes i wouldn't do if i had been able to get a few hours of sleep. The fact that i'm on my phone doesn't help either.

To expand on ruby's answer a bit, here are my thoughts/explanations.

Yes, DC does judge on an English-based system where both (forum censored) swear words and slurs are inappropriate to use for names.

So if something is a curse in another language but that isn't what it translates to in English, it could end up being a fine name. (Translations matter!) Context matters, too, but if the words translates to something inappropriate in English, I would avoid it.

****head is inappropriate because censorkip.gif is a swear word. Poo is juvenile but not a swear word. Inappropriate here refers to a guideline similar to what is outlined in the board rules. It mostly means age appropriate.

I usually don't worry about the names I use, but it's occurred to me to check on a few just in case...

Balls To Picasso - name of a Bruce Dickinson album and meant in the sense of 'to heck with Picasso', but possibly a bit much? unsure

Rosetta Stoned - Tool song title. Drug references barred or no? (The answer to this question covers a lot of my names, so I won't list them all individually. )

Oh Fox - no actual bad words used, but it does imply a certain bad word... also based on the dragon's code...

http://dragcave.net/lineage/oF0Xk

Bisexual Tiger - Another code inspired name...

http://dragcave.net/lineage/BiTgr

I usually don't worry about the names I use, but it's occurred to me to check on a few just in case...

Balls To Picasso - name of a Bruce Dickinson album and meant in the sense of 'to heck with Picasso', but possibly a bit much? unsure

Rosetta Stoned - Tool song title. Drug references barred or no? (The answer to this question covers a lot of my names, so I won't list them all individually. )

Oh Fox - no actual bad words used, but it does imply a certain bad word... also based on the dragon's code...

http://dragcave.net/lineage/oF0Xk

Bisexual Tiger - Another code inspired name...

http://dragcave.net/lineage/BiTgr

All acceptable.

Kay, I will give my Bright Breasted Wyverens the surname "Saurian". Is that better?

I think I would still avoid "Fuk". Isn't Pet in Saurian Fok, anyway?

Anything named "Fuk"would be reported and hopefully burned, It is clearly censor evasion.

Edit: Nevermind. Censored words aren't allowed in names, right?

Edited by The Flash

Edit: Nevermind. Censored words aren't allowed in names, right?

Right

Okay... say I had a dragon whose code is fUq3T. Would it be effectively censor evasion to name it 'Fuqet', which, though a simple conversion of the code, could be pronounced identically to a certain phrase? Or does ambiguity save it? (It could also be pronounced 'foo-ket' or 'fuh-kwet', after all, and likely plenty of people will read it that way without any prompting to see it otherwise... but again, seems iffy.)

Edited by Lurhstaap