MisaTange

Name Check Thread

Would 'knobhead' be ok? Not just the word knobhead but 'my owner's biological family are a bunch of knobheads' or words to that effect.

I'm having trouble naming my dragons.

The names I've wanted to name them are Agi, Lockness, Nessy, Ptero (short for pterodactyl, type of flying dinosaur), and Photic (deepest zone of the ocean)

None of them are working, it says the ink disappears, can anyone tell me why?

Any help would be good, please and thank you!

From the FAQ: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=48

Q: Why does the ink disappear when I try and name a dragon?/Why did my dragons' names disappear?

A: The name you wish to choose may be taken. There are many named dragons, so simply choose another name or add a surname or alternate the spelling you used. You may also see this message if the name you wish to choose contains invalid characters. Names can only contain up to 32 alphanumeric characters, as well as " " (space), "'" (apostrophe), or "-" (dash). Only (American) English characters can be used - trying to put in a Japanese symbol or something will not work and the character won't come out. Also note that names will disappear if the scroll is inactive for over 8 weeks.

Those names are already taken. :3

GeekyWitch - as long as you're not insulting other members, I suppose.

I found a dragon named ~Name Reported~. Is this appropriate or should I be reporting it? o_0

Edited by _Z_

That looks inappropriate to me.

There is a dragon named ~Censor Evasion removed~, but it's not toward's anyone's mother. So I'm on the ledge about this one.

e; there is no connection between the dragon, the name, or the code, so my guess it's inappropriate.

Edited by _Z_

Never realised there were so many Exalted fans on DC (Exalted is a White Wolf RPG for those who don't know).

I was going to name some my CB dragons after the 5 Elemental dragons of the Exalted Setting.... only to find that all the 5 names are already taken sad.gif

Now to rethink my plan for starting an Exalted lineage that starts with those dragons....

@Mystic Tiger : the name you asked about looks like a censor dodge to me, so i would think it was inappropriate.

Inappropriate and reported. Thank you for bring it to our attention.

Edited by _Z_

I kind of wish names in this thread wouldn't be censored, if only so people could read and see what a true inappropriate name looks like. It would also help those who may have inadvertently named a dragon something similar, are wondering about the same name, or the actual owner of the name who is unaware there is a problem.

Judging from the replies, it looks like the name is unambiguously offensive, but I'm still horribly curious =(

Edit: Thanks for the PMs. The name was really obvious, I doubt anyone would name something similar on accident, heh.

Edited by Nine

I kind of wish names in this thread wouldn't be censored, if only so people could read and see what a true inappropriate name looks like. It would also help those who may have inadvertently named a dragon something similar, are wondering about the same name, or the actual owner of the name who is unaware there is a problem.

Judging from the replies, it looks like the name is unambiguously offensive, but I'm still horribly curious =(

I can pm you the name, if you'd like.

I just named a Neotropical with a fitting code "Hoe". Shouldn't have to explain that there's a valid use of the word, but just to make sure... haha =p

Hoe is a gardening instrument. The 'other meaning' is spelled differently. Hoe is fine for a name. (Though I'm a little surprised that hasn't been taken yet. =o )

I find myself posting here so often not because I personally find the names offensive, but just in case some fellow tries hard enough to find offense in what they see. When it comes to DC, I really have no clear idea of where 'offensive terms' start and 'self interpretation' comes in =S Better safe than sorry.

Anywho, got the name "Coon"-- short for raccoon. Hope it's not offensive.

Is Sex Shooter okay?

The dragon in question is the daughter of Apollonia so I thought it'd be nice smile.gif

Nine, I think as long as coon is not linked to other words in the name that are racially unacceptable it's fine.

Essjay, that name originally seemed questionable to me, but once I researched it I thought it would be fine.

Nine, I think as long as coon is not linked to other words in the name that are racially unacceptable it's fine.

Essjay, that name originally seemed questionable to me, but once I researched it I thought it would be fine.

Yay! Thank you smile.gif

Coon, sex shooter are both fine.

Is the word 'incest' okays? I want to make a purposefully inbred linage with names like 'Incestual Pixels' and 'Dragon Incest Does Not Lead To Mutants'

How about 'I heart my sister/brother'?

'Incestual Pixels'

I don't care about inbreeding, other than affecting trade value, but those are kind of creepy.

I don't care about inbreeding, other than affecting trade value, but those are kind of creepy.

I'm asking whether it's appropriate, but how creepy or not you think it is. A name like 'stalking you in the dark' is probably appropriate yet far creepier than 'incest' between pixels.

Is the word 'incest' okays? I want to make a purposefully inbred linage with names like 'Incestual Pixels' and 'Dragon Incest Does Not Lead To Mutants'

I would think it would be allowed. After all, people name their dragons violent and murderous things. I can see where it might rub some people the wrong way because incest and inbreeding aren't exactly interchangeable terms as inbreeding tends to be used more to refer to the biological aspect, whereas incest carries more of a cultural connotation. But, IMO, since we can actually breed family members together, it's more discomforting than inappropriate.

I would think it would be allowed. After all, people name their dragons violent and murderous things. I can see where it might rub some people the wrong way because incest and inbreeding aren't exactly interchangeable terms as inbreeding tends to be used more to refer to the biological aspect, whereas incest carries more of a cultural connotation. But, IMO, since we can actually breed family members together, it's more discomforting than inappropriate.

The uncomfortable aspect is actually why I want to do an inbred linage tongue.gif Having tried to come up with a reason as to why I find inbreeding or incest uncomfortable and failed, I'm trying to get over it. Dragcave therapy, lol.

Naming your dragon:

Most names/words are acceptable, it is all in how you use them. Incest is a word, that used alone is acceptable, use it in an inappropriate manner results in unacceptable.

Please use common sense, If you know it is wrong, then do not use it. If members push the limits your dragon will sooner or later end up as a tomb stone. If at anytime members have questions, feel free to pm a mod.

I've been naming my vampire dragons after female characters in Poe stories, but then I ran out of names and started using female characters from the Sherlock Holmes stories, and there's one called 'Helen Stoner', so... just wondering, lol.