KidaYuki

Multiple computer log on/login

I would enjoy having this option. Though I rarely check from anyone else's computer... sometimes it's necessary even on my own to check from a different browser.

For instance, Chrome is my default browser. But the Christmas Tree decorating does not work on it for me, at all. I've done everything others have suggested as far as logging in/out, turning off Adblock, etc. Can't move ornaments. Now I can't even view it - just get a database error.

So needing to log in and out daily just to get to the tree on Firefox? Very annoying.

Plus, it'd be nice to be able to easily fog an egg from my iPod while I'm out and about.

So I'd like this very much, if it were optional. Though yes, I can see it resulting in more complaints of being hacked, when people forget to log out on someone else's computer.

This. I don't use different computers but I do use different browsers and it is annoying to have to log on again just because I switched to a different browser.

I'll be completely honest. The security check and the one computer logged on at the time thing are security reasons, implemented for the well being of your scrolls. Is it THAT hard to log on again? What a hard thing to do, it wastes so much of my time!!! :B

I personally would take the few extra moments to log in again, rather than risk my scroll being screwed up.

I'll be completely honest. The security check and the one computer logged on at the time thing are security reasons, implemented for the well being of your scrolls. Is it THAT hard to log on again? What a hard thing to do, it wastes so much of my time!!! :B

I personally would take the few extra moments to log in again, rather than risk my scroll being screwed up.

But that is the point, it would be optional so that people like you who want extra security wouldn't have to worry, but those that don't want that kind of security don't have to have it.

I for one know that if I am just going between a laptop and a home computer know that my scroll isn't in any danger from someone meddling with it, and others do similar things. Not everyone who accesses their scroll from more than one location is doing so on a public computer.

Fun fact of the day- logging out is even easier than logging in. blink.gifNot disabling an optional security feature (Because most of us are asking that it be optional to turn it of) would be even easier.

And again, there are well known accessibility issues with CAPTCHAs. So, yes, it can be that hard. (Sort of like understanding that people and situations are different, apparently.)

I stress that it should be an optional feature if implemented and not allow a user to be on more then one computer/browser SIMULTANEOUSLY.

I support this. It is incredibly difficult logging on from my iPod, only to log off whenever I login on my computer.

I support this. I regularly log on from six different internets (laptop, home computer, school computer lab, school engineering lab, school bell tower, iphone), and I actually fail somewhere between 10% and 25% of the captchas. However, I know Gmail has an option where if you're logged in, it shows you how many other places are logged in. Then there's a link that lets you log out every place except yourself. Maybe that could be implemented? If not, to log out of a friend's place, all you'd have to do is go to account options and disable it for a moment, then reenable it again.

I don't think this is a good idea. It makes those who use it vulnerable to mischief, whether deliberate or accidental, and what's so hard about logging in, or logging off? I have enough problems with my typing, but have not noticed any problem with the ReCaptcha in getting logged in, even on this fussy old computer. Once in maybe 100, an image may be difficult to read, but click refresh, problem solved.

This.

I log on from both my laptop and netbook, and my netbook's been used too much so it's a bit fail. So doing the CAPTCHA is extremely annoying.

And perhaps it could only be possible to be logged in from two computers at once, and not to actually be ONLINE on two at once?

With broadband/highspeed etc, a VAST number of computers are effectively "on" 24/7.... Mine is on whenever I am home and my SO's laptop and my old one which has the scanner attached are often on as well... And I assume they all have the same ISP, which would add to the confusion.

This. I don't use different computers but I do use different browsers and it is annoying to have to log on again just because I switched to a different browser.

That is odd. The only browser that pulls that one on me is iE and I never use it unless some page or other REQUIRES it (I have an option in firefox to open a page in iE) - Chrome and Opera stay logged in. They must share their cookies biggrin.gif Not that I use two simultaneously, exactly, but - for instance - over Christmas when catching was an issue, I set Opera up with almost NOTHING enabled, for speed, but used firefox when sorting and the rest - and both stayed logged in just fine.

Edited by fuzzbucket

it actually would be really really hard to cheat, especially now that transport is coming along. what are the chances that 5 people refresh at the same time and see that exact rare?

even FFA's won't be around much longer, so i agree with this idea. but i like the idea of it being optional.

However, now I think of it, I have about 5 computers at home. Wouldn't that give me an advantage catching that one FFA rare if it was implemented? o.o

However, now I think of it, I have about 5 computers at home. Wouldn't that give me an advantage catching that one FFA rare if it was implemented? o.o

Hoe exactly ????? You couldn't be clicking on them all at once.... and for an FFA you need the code so you couldn't even autorefresh !

I would like to post the idea mentioned on the other locked thread, that you could register certain computers, where you could only stay logged on multiple computers if you have registered them. Logging on an unregistered computer would produce the same effect as logging in does now.

The way to "register" a computer would most likely be a checkbox saying "leave other computers logged in?" as well as warning that that is not for public computers. There would be a max of five, for I really can't imagine that most people would have more than five devices/browsers they regularly access.

To me, that would still leave some security, but allow those with phones or laptops able to quickly switch from one to another.

Edited by Nectaris

Hey all;

I often switch around where I'm logged into DC from. From computer to computer, computer to phone, or even from IE to Firefox--and every time I do so, I have to log in all over again, and in doing so get kicked out of the other place I was logged into. This can get a bit tedious.

Other sites I'm on (such as deviantArt) allow users to log in from multiple places. Would this be possible for DC too?

The main objection I can see is that having multiple IPs being used to access the same scroll at once might make it a bit harder to keep track of when multiple scrolls are using the same IP (and thus to catch multiscrollers), but hopefully this wouldn't be a huge issue? I'm assuming there's some type of function that checks the IPs coming in so TJ doesn't have to root through them all by hand to find funky ones, so hopefully it would be able to check the extra IPs without much issue... whether someone's multiscrolling via one abused IP or two, it should still show up as suspicious, right?

Other Ideas:

- Have an option to log out of all places into which you're logged in

- Have the ability to log in from multiple locations be optional, with the default set to off

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Beleive the main reason this isn't supported is because some people do log in at public places, like school and libeary as well as at home later in the day. By not allowing multipul locations at once, it guntarees that your safely logged out of those public places when you log in at home.

Beleive the main reason this isn't supported is because some people do log in at public places, like school and libeary as well as at home later in the day. By not allowing multipul locations at once, it guntarees that your safely logged out of those public places when you log in at home.

Most of us are big enough people to ensure our own account safety. My deviantArt account means a fair bit more to me than my DC one, and even though I've accessed it through public libraries and what not I've never once forgotten to log out before I leave.

If people are still concerned, though... I know that Windows Live has an option where you can choose to sign out of all locations into which you're logged in. If they can do it, perhaps DC can as well? Then you can just do routine full logouts if you're nervous.

Or if you want to go REALLY on the side of caution, it could be an optional account thing as to whether or not you can log in from multiple locations, with the default being set to off. This should help protect younger players who might not be as mindful.

If people are still concerned, though... I know that Windows Live has an option where you can choose to sign out of all locations into which you're logged in. If they can do it, perhaps DC can as well? Then you can just do routine full logouts if you're nervous.

Or if you want to go REALLY on the side of caution, it could be an optional account thing as to whether or not you can log in from multiple locations, with the default being set to off. This should help protect younger players who might not be as mindful.

This I would like, especially if it was set up this way. I drift between my laptop and my desktop, sometimes my phone if I need it, and that's just around the house--I use school ones, too, sometimes. It'd be nice not to have to re-log in every time I switched.

But, that said, I'd like the option to log out any other devices currently logged in, just as an added safety feature. I'm usually very good about logging out in public places, but still.

And I do think it should be optional and off by default, that way people who don't want this don't have to deal with it.

As annoying as it is, i would rather have to relog in than allow other people the ability to log in and mess with my stuff because i forgot to log out.

I know on another site, multiple people can log in and do stuff at the same time, which allows that account to be abused. It allows more people to hunt for certain things at the same time, (where here, only one person can hunt at a time) which gives a distinct advantage when it comes to rare grabbing.

So because i know how this could very easily be abused, and because i know what can happen from the mod side based on other sites i have either modded, or /cheated/ (with permission. I always make a point to announce loopholes before exploiting them) on to show it could be done, I would not support this, at all.

Edited by Thuban

Would it be possible to be logged in in multiple places, but only activity from one? That way you can't have multiple people on one account hunting.

We USED to be able to log in from multiple locations without being logged out at any of them. However that feature was taken away because too many people were NOT being careful and other people (siblings, friends, strangers) were able to gain access to logged in scrolls and abandoning eggs, killing eggs/hatchlings/dragons, releasing dragons, changing passwords, and stealing accounts. And those people were constantly whining about how they were "hacked" when in fact they weren't.

How about making it optional, with said option defaulting to 'off'? That way people stay protected unless they know what they're getting themselves into.

Doesn't that also make multiscrolling easier....?

The main objection I can see is that having multiple IPs being used to access the same scroll at once might make it a bit harder to keep track of when multiple scrolls are using the same IP (and thus to catch multiscrollers), but hopefully this wouldn't be a huge issue? I'm assuming there's some type of function that checks the IPs coming in so TJ doesn't have to root through them all by hand to find funky ones, so hopefully it would be able to check the extra IPs without much issue... whether someone's multiscrolling via one abused IP or two, it should still show up as suspicious, right?

Mm...

Doesn't that also make multiscrolling easier....?

multi-scrolling is using more than one scroll. Being logged into one scroll on multiple computers is completely different.

What if this were only available from one IP address? I often switch from the computer to iPod Touch when viewing DC, and it is beyond annoying to have to login again each time. If it were only available while using one IP, logging in in my iPod would not log me out if computer -

But if I logged in from a library, it would log me out from both iPod and computer.