KidaYuki

Multiple computer log on/login

I play DC on my PC. And my notebook. And my tablet. And my phone. And hubby's PC too. Every time I switch computers, I have to log in again, which would be annoying even without the Captcha dry.gif. I understand that this auto-disconnect whenever you log in from another computer is safer, because it protects you from people who'd mess with your scroll if you forgot to log out from a public computer. But there are other ways of creating this security: a simple 'stay logged in on THIS computer' check box would suffice.

So could we please get the option of remaining logged in on several computers? People could then decide for themselves if they deem a particular computer to be safe and choose to remain logged in. It would not affect players who do not choose to remain logged in.

The default: auto log out.

The optional check box you can click when logging in: stay logged in on this computer.

We could also add a 'log out on all computers' button as a safeguard if you thought a certain computer was safe to remain logged in, but no longer think it is.

This feature should come with a clear warning so players really think about whether it's safe for them. Pokemonfan13 suggested something like this:

""The only computer that is a "safe" computer is one that ONLY you have access to. If you have any siblings/friends/enemies/children/etc who think it would be fun to mess with your account you should NEVER use this option and you should set your Actions Security Method to password. Unattended computers left logged in are vulnerable to pranks/malicious action, especially if the actions are not password protected.""

Another option, suggested by KageSora:

"How about, each time you access the cave from a different device than you last logged on from, it had a pop-up or another page or something that says something to the effect of "You are currently logged on from X locations. Would you like to log out from all other locations?"

You can quickly and easily log out of the other locations, and if the X matches up with the number of other devices you know you're logged on from, the you can just hit "no" and go about your business."

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

The reason it auto logs you off when logging onto another computer is for security reasons. It is to help prevent others from messing with your scroll at computers you are currently not at.

The reason it auto logs you off when logging onto another computer is for security reasons. It is to help prevent others from messing with your scroll at computers you are currently not at.

Yes, and I adressed that in my OP. A simple 'this is a secure computer, keep me logged in' would offer the same security.

I don't know if this is needed, really. It is annoying to log in again, but it only takes a second or two. At least you'll never forget your password tongue.gif.

Edited by TheGrox

I don't know if this is needed, really. It is annoying to log in again, but it only takes a second or two. At least you'll never forget your password tongue.gif.

It's not so much the log-in in and of itself that annoys me; it's the log-in combined with deciphering that Captcha box each and every time. And since the Captcha doesn't seem to be going anywhere, allowing us to remain logged in on computers of our choice would help at least.

i play on my phone, laptop and pc.

i switch between those devices even when at home. currently, i might need to log me in 8 times a day, and captcha is making this a pain, especially on the phone.

It's not so much the log-in in and of itself that annoys me; it's the log-in combined with deciphering that Captcha box each and every time. And since the Captcha doesn't seem to be going anywhere, allowing us to remain logged in on computers of our choice would help at least.

Yah, this. I switch between my phone and my computer a lot, and while captcha isn't a big deal on the computer, it can be quite annoying on my phone. Also, sometimes I want to switch rapidly between IE and Firefox (because for some reason lineages look icky on IE, although it's my preferred browser otherwise), and this would be helpful there as well.

I think this could work, with two conditions:

1. Give people a choice to make it so their accounts CAN'T be logged in at more than one place, and

2. Make it so that an account couldn't be active from more than one location at once, so that two people couldn't be logged into and hunting from the same account at one time.

Again, it's not exactly a NEEDED change, but I do think it would be a NICE change. smile.gif

(As a side note, there was another thread on this topic, but with search down I'm afraid I can't find it for you >___<)

Yes, and I adressed that in my OP. A simple 'this is a secure computer, keep me logged in' would offer the same security.

It's not that. It works like this:

You're logged into computer A. Nasty person logs into your scroll from computer B. You're logged out on computer A and know that something is wrong and change your password.

If you could set "safe computers" that you're never logged out of, you'd never know if the nasty person was logging into your scroll.

Unless those "safe computers" were the only thing you COULD log into without logging out, so if your scroll was logged into on a computer that is not "safe" ALL computers would be logged out, including the "safe" computers. Although you'd only get one warning of this type unless it is very difficult to make a computer "safe" .

And Angelic's #2 is an absolute necessity if this is going to work.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

As another thought, there should be a "log out of all other devices" option as well, so anyone who was worried that they'd left themselves logged in elsewhere could log out of the whole lot at once.

I can't count the number of people who post here about something they DID NOT DO, which TJ has then checked and pointed out it was done from their own computer so had to be by someone in that same room - and it will turn out that they had just gone to the washroom or something and someone had...

No thanks to this one. Recaptcha is a pain but not as much of one as having someone mess with my scroll.

ADP's "log out of everywhere" would be a good idea, though. Except that - if we don't get this, there would be no need !

I can't count the number of people who post here about something they DID NOT DO, which TJ has then checked and pointed out it was done from their own computer so had to be by someone in that same room - and it will turn out that they had just gone to the washroom or something and someone had...

No thanks to this one. Recaptcha is a pain but not as much of one as having someone mess with my scroll.

ADP's "log out of everywhere" would be a good idea, though. Except that - if we don't get this, there would be no need !

Fuzz, if this was added I daresay it'd be optional (in other words, you could set your account so it could only be logged in from one spot at a time). As such, even if you don't want to use it, I really don't see the harm in letting other people have the option.

I can't count the number of people who post here about something they DID NOT DO, which TJ has then checked and pointed out  it was done from their own computer so had to be by someone in that same room - and it will turn out that they had just gone to the washroom or something and someone had...

Yes, but in that case the computer was not really safe. If your parents, siblings or guests are such jerks, you shouldn't leave your computer unguarded. Also, I remember some of those threads and to be honest I often got a hint of 'buyer's remorse' off them. The same response holds for Pokemon13's objection: if a nasty person messes with your dragons from a computer that you deemed safe, then that's on you.

The 'eternal log-on' would be optional; something that you turn on for computers you deem safe. For computers you do not deem safe, simply don't click the 'keep me signed in from this location' box. Surely we can give people a little accountability for judging a computer to be safe or not.

I do like Angelicdragonpuppy's suggestion about a 'log out everywhere' button, for those cases where you feel you've made an error in judgement.

I wouldn't mind it being added, I do hate the captchas at times. But it seems like it would be troublesome to code? Of course, I don't know much about coding so I can hardly make that assumption, but...

I wouldn't mind it being added, I do hate the captchas at times. But it seems like it would be troublesome to code? Of course, I don't know much about coding so I can hardly make that assumption, but...

I don't know, but it seems pretty standard for a lot of other forums and email servers I know.

I am logged on on MANY computers for this FORUM (and others) - but NOT for the cave - mercifully that is not possible. And I feel a LOT safer that way....

However - I am on another forum with a totally different LOOK to the captcha; it is WAY easier to read and has never bombed. I wonder if.... I've just been trying to find out where it comes from, but so far have failed... (I was looking through the source code but the owner has concealed that info...) The one yahoo uses is entirely legible too, so is the one you get to send a message to an ebay seller...

I am logged on on MANY computers for this FORUM (and others) - but NOT for the cave - mercifully that is not possible. And I feel a LOT safer that way...

Since 'keep me logged in' would be optional, you could simply choose not to use that option.

Since 'keep me logged in' would be optional, you could simply choose not to use that option.

Oh yes - I realise that, and believe me, mine would be off.

But given the number of people who seem to get done over by others as it is, I just think this might turn out to cause a HEAP of drarmar and PMs to TJ and so on !

I thought a legible captcha might considerably lessen the need for this anyway...

Edited by fuzzbucket

If this was something that was completely optional with the risks clearly laid out for all to see, then I wouldn't have a problem with this. The people I know in real life who play DC also and have access to my computer/phone/ipad/etc. are all people I trust to not do anything stupid to my scroll. And if they do, well that's my responsibility in the end. tongue.gif

I'm sure TJ has good reasons for the way things are at the moment. All I'm saying is that I'd be happy to take responsibility for my actions if I used a feature like this.

Edited by StormWizard212

I support this! I was thinking of making a similar suggestion, too. I switch back and forth between two computers, my phone, and my tablet and it's really a pain to have to keep logging in. I do think it should be optional, and users should really be the ones to be careful about leaving themselves logged in with their scroll unattended...

I'd support this, because I know I'd utilize it. I have two computers in my house and I mainly use my laptop, but when I can't use it, I just use the family computer, but it's annoying to have to constantly log in and log out, especially since the family computer is a last resort.

Though I don't have any effective ideas to throw out... Sorry.

I switch between two BROWSERS on the same machine (Pale Moon is WAY better for hunting !) - and I still wouldn't use it xd.png

Colour me chicken !

I switch between two BROWSERS on the same machine (Pale Moon is WAY better for hunting !) - and I still wouldn't use it xd.png

Colour me chicken !

What kind of household do you live in?? tongue.gif Now I'm imagining siblings lying in wait around the corner, ready to pounce on the computer whenever you go just for a second xd.png.

But yes, that's why this would be optional.

What kind of household do you live in?? tongue.gif Now I'm imagining siblings lying in wait around the corner, ready to pounce on the computer whenever you go just for a second xd.png.

Some people DO have siblings just waiting to get them. There have been MANY threads where the sibling was done over and one where the sib was forced to give up eggs of his own - I forget whose it was. I believe the mother joined in.

My issue is my 11 y/o* grandson, since you ask. Terminally vague and entirely capable of thinking he was on his own scroll till it was too late sad.gif

He actually adores me and would be very very sorry even before I flushed his head down the toilet - but he does have a tendency to want to see what will happen if....

*yes he has parental and mod permission to have one.

The same response holds for Pokemon13's objection: if a nasty person messes with your dragons from a computer that you deemed safe, then that's on you.

My post had absolutely nothing to do with people getting on a computer you deemed safe. It had to do with someone who figured out your password logging in from another computer and how that would have to be dealt with. [ie logging into an unsafe computer logs out ALL other computers, including safe ones]

Edited by Pokemonfan13