KidaYuki

Multiple computer log on/login

I'd be happy if I could log in on the same computer (so same IP) but just different browsers. I like to hunt in one browser that is very basic without a lot of additions/add ons and so is fast but it gets annoying to have to switch and log in to a different browser just to hunt.

multi-scrolling is using more than one scroll. Being logged into one scroll on multiple computers is completely different.

I know - but I can't help thinking that being able to be logged on on two machines at once would mean you could. um - (perhaps I shouldn't actually spell this out here, as it IS a rather cunning way to multiscroll, really it is... ninja.gif )

I know - but I can't help thinking that being able to be logged on on two machines at once would mean you could. um - (perhaps I shouldn't actually spell this out here, as it IS a rather cunning way to multiscroll, really it is...  ninja.gif )

you cannot physically multi-scroll if you are only ever using just ONE scroll. multi-scrolling is the playing the game while using/having more than one scroll at any given time. It doesn't matter if the scroll is logged into one computer or multiple computers it is still one scroll in use - not multiple scrolls in use.

If a person with one scroll has it logged in on multiple computers and someone ELSE comes along on one of those computers and gains access to that scroll - then it becomes a security issue - not a multi-scrolling issue. The scroll owner is at fault for allowing someone else other than themselves to have access to their scroll. This is why the feature was taken away in the first place. Too many people were careless with who had access to their scrolls because they would be logged in at different places and kept crying about being hacked when they were never hacked at all and their dragons were released/killed/abandoned/whatever by their friends, siblings, relatives, strangers.

Edit -

let me put it a different way. If you have two computers. Back when we used to be able to be logged in at multiple machines you could be logged into that one scroll on both computers. You could switch back and forth depending on which computer was in the better mood for hunting or connection issues at any given time. If one computer was trying to run anti-virus scans or updates or doing something else in the background it could be considered utterly worthless to use it for hunting the cave... so you could just use the other computer that was not currently overloaded on processing resources. It is convenient to not have to log out and log in each time you switch. Even though you are using TWO computers you are not "multi-scrolling" because you are still using only that ONE scroll.

Now, if you leave that ONE scroll logged into those two computers and your little brother or whatnot comes along and starts playing around with your scroll and kills a bunch of your dragons - YOU are at fault for allowing that access to occur in the first place, but you are not at fault for multi-scrolling because its still only ONE scroll being accessed.

Taking this a step further - if that person who gained access to your scroll ALSO happens to play the game and has a scroll of their own.. THEY are the ones actually breaking the rules for multi-scrolling - NOT YOU. They are the ones playing more than one scroll - their own scroll and your scroll they managed to gain access to.

Edited by WraithZephyr

I do know all that. xd.png

But even so, if you can log in from more than one machine at the same time, you can - let us just say, do rather more in the way of - for instance - experimenting - than just doing it with two browsers one one machine. YES you'd be logged in to two scrolls, but doing all that is easier if you can be on your main one on more than one machine.

Honest ! You just need two keyboards and two hands....

I am not (quite) as dotty as I think you may think I am, even if I AM 67 !

But even so, if you can log in from more than one machine at the same time, you can - let us just say, do rather more in the way of - for instance - experimenting - than just doing it with two browsers one one machine. YES you'd be logged in to two scrolls, but doing all that is easier if you can be on your main one on more than one machine.

if you are using ONE scroll.. even if it is logged into TWO machines (or two web browsers) it is still only ONE scroll that you are accessing. Therefore not multi-scrolling. What you do on one log in is the same stuff you can do on the other login. What possible experiments could a person do on their ONE scroll that would break the rules? If there is such an experiment then everyone on this forum is currently breaking the rules just by having the one scroll they are allowed to have to play the game.

The only way using ONE scroll on mulitple machines could ever be considered multi-scrolling is if you permit someone else to access your scroll log-in and that person also has a scroll of their own. They would be breaking the rules for playing TWO scrolls. If you play your friends scroll because you gained access to their logi-n then you are breaking the rules for playing two scrolls.

if you are using ONE scroll.. even if it is logged into TWO machines (or two web browsers) it is still only ONE scroll that you are accessing.  Therefore not multi-scrolling.  What you do on one log in is the same stuff you can do on the other login.  What possible experiments could a person do on their ONE scroll that would break the rules?  If there is such an experiment then everyone on this forum is currently breaking the rules just by having the one scroll they are allowed to have to play the game.

The only way using ONE scroll on mulitple machines could ever be considered multi-scrolling is if you permit someone else to access your scroll log-in and that person also has a scroll of their own. They would be breaking the rules for playing TWO scrolls.  If you play your friends scroll because you gained access to their logi-n then you are breaking the rules for playing two scrolls.

I figure the main issue is that people could ask friends who don't play DC to log in from other places and help them, thus allowing them pretty much double the hunting ability. Unless the cave had a way to detect supiciously large amounts of hunting activity coming all at once from a single scroll (like clicks on two different eggs at once), this wouldn't get caught. >___<

That being said, someone mentioned earlier in this thread that DC originally did allow logins from multiple places at once, which was stopped due to people forgetting to log out of public places as opposed to because it was allowing massive amounts of cheating, which makes me hopeful that it might not be a huge issue.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Well, just prevent activity from two IPs at once. The only thing it wouldn't prevent is using multiple computers on the same internet.

if you are using ONE scroll.. even if it is logged into TWO machines (or two web browsers) it is still only ONE scroll that you are accessing. Therefore not multi-scrolling. What you do on one log in is the same stuff you can do on the other login. What possible experiments could a person do on their ONE scroll that would break the rules? If there is such an experiment then everyone on this forum is currently breaking the rules just by having the one scroll they are allowed to have to play the game.

The only way using ONE scroll on mulitple machines could ever be considered multi-scrolling is if you permit someone else to access your scroll log-in and that person also has a scroll of their own. They would be breaking the rules for playing TWO scrolls. If you play your friends scroll because you gained access to their logi-n then you are breaking the rules for playing two scrolls.

Cough. If you PM me....

But you can use two browsers on each of two machines, and....

- as well as what angelicdragonpuppy said.

Even so, I do agree it is very hard to do !

I'd like to be able to log in on two machines.

It didn't matter so much before as I could give my eggs a quick check without being logged in but now with a hidden scroll I can't do that.

The captcha here is just evil - generally takes me 3 or 4 goes to get past it sad.gif

This is in no way a major suggestion or even that big of a deal, it's just one small thing. I also realize it might just be me who runs into this.. haha.

So I was just wondering if it would be possible to allow us to be able to stay logged in multiple locations, instead of just one. (lol title) For those of you who don't know, if you log onto your phone for example, the site will log you out of your computer, so when you go to the computer again it will require you to log back in.

I'm not sure if there is a reason why the site does this, there might be.

Thanks for reading-

Hmm, it has to do with scroll security. Imagine if you're just going about your hunting like normal, when suddenly you get logged out. You log back in, only to get logged out again because someone else is logging into your account on another device/computer. You know to contact TJ and/or change your password ASAP to keep your dragons safe smile.gif

So while I do understand the annoyance of having to log in all over again (I run into it myself quite often as well), I put up with it because, in the end, it's keeping my scroll safe from bad people biggrin.gif

I want this so bad. It's a real pain to try logging onto the Cave via my smart phone because of that security code image thing (I can't view it and type at the same time).

Scroll security isn't an issue if you have your scroll set to require your password to do anything really damaging.

ETA (now that I've fully read the post above mine- I thought you were talking about security against people accidentally leaving themselves logged into a shared device such as a public computer):

Most people don't give out their passwords, especially to people who might be interested in ravaging through their scroll. I don't really see that as reasoning behind why we can only be logged into one device at a time.

Edited by Windnose

I would LOVE this.

I have two main computers that I switch between every day (my office and my living room laptop).

Constantly having to login as I switch between computers is incredibly annoying, especially because I purposely have extremely obfuscated passwords.

Most sites have the option to "remember me"-- you select the checkbox on login, and a cookie is set on that browser that keeps you logged in for X period of time (whatever the site decides to be the default time frame). This is exactly how I'd envision it working for Dragon Cave as well.

Completely optional, so that people who would like the feature can use it and others can avoid it.

I really like this idea, but I understand the security and cheating issues. I would be ok with having a "main" log in where I can only do real actions there, and that during my mobile phone I can just look at my dragon list.

But I've also got to admit I really dislike the new mobile interface I don't use it for this game except the forum. And thats mostly an issue with TJ's income stream. So it really depends on how this impacts him.

I don't know that it would make him enough more money to offset the abuse potential. You can all say "It's not our place to consider the money or amount of effort it require. We just come up with ideas."

But if you really really are invested in an idea posssibly becoming a real example, its something that impacts if it happens or not.

I really like this idea, but I understand the security and cheating issues. I would be ok with having a "main" log in where I can only do real actions there, and that during my mobile phone I can just look at my dragon list.

I hadn't considered the cheating issue. Could you imagine how some people would get a few friends to get on their computers and help them snag CB Rares/Uncommons/Holidays?

Regardless, I still support this. Though, maybe having primary and secondary versions would be a good idea. The primary could have control over everything while the secondary would only have control over accepting/making/offering on trades, freezing, BSA usage, and other scroll-only options. There could be a link somewhere on the main Cave page (or some other convenient location) saying which version the device you are using is set to and give the user option to change from secondary to primary or primary to secondary. This way, the account, while being logged in to multiple devices, can only access the Cave one at a time.

But, that sounds like it would be difficult to code, so I don't know. ^^; Though, if the secondary version only allowed me to view my scroll, I'd have no use for it. If I just want to look at my scroll when on my phone, I just type in my scroll link and view it as everyone else does.

Edited by Windnose

Ack, I'd rather not have it at all if there would have to be primary/secondary access. That's even more annoying than having to login every time I switch computers during the day. Both of my computers are my "primary" computer and are used equally.

' date='Oct 16 2012, 09:58 PM'] Ack, I'd rather not have it at all if there would have to be primary/secondary access. That's even more annoying than having to login every time I switch computers during the day. Both of my computers are my "primary" computer and are used equally.

I was thinking that just an easy "one-click" link would be enough to switch it over to the other version. Just something that required no passwords or "Are you sure you want to do this"s.

Sorry I didn't notice the original thread Sock.

Rhynn Collins, good point. =o I'll admit I never really though of that and I understand why someone would want to keep this now (not me personally since I don't share with anyone else).

I support the multiple-source stay logged-on option.

Mainly because, I don't know if it's just because I use Android or what, but trying to log on from my mobile device (a Samsung Galaxy Player) while I'm out & about is a pain in my butt.

If I zoom in to be able to see the CAPTCHA, I can't type the CAPTCHA while looking at it. I've got to scroll the screen around and it causes a lot of mis-typing.

I don't see any particular reason, but I don't log into this on my ipod, so I can't really see a terrible inconvence, although CAPTCHA can be irritating.

This would be great for me, because my default browser is Chrome, but I like to hunt using Firefox, as it seems like pages load faster. I would love not having to log in twice (once in FF, then again when I switch back to Chrome) every time I want to go hunting.

I don't see that much need for this. I don't find it that difficult/irritating to log in again when I've logged in elsewhere. It's only ever bothersome if I'm logging in on my phone, but since I'd prefer to not leave DC logged in on my phone, I wouldn't use a feature like this anyway.

I hadn't realized I'd posted here before. A bit of a retraction from my prior post....

My only issue with having to log in multiple times is because I don't have a smart phone with one of those fancier larger screens and trying to type with my keyboard on my touch screen and the teenie tiny space I have to navigate are a huge PITA. Others have mentioned this before in this thread.

That being said - my refusal to upgrade my technology as fast as everyone else isn't really a good reason to support multi-log ins. Because in the coming months, larger screens are going to a bigger (and cheaper) part of the market, so this bucket just isn't going to hold water very long.

I support requiring log ins for different browsers and devices. Especially as most of it can be automated (aka save passsword / login info) so all you are really dealing with is the Captcha. For multiple reasons. Because it is just way too easy to cheat. There was a time when you had to have a way above average IQ and multiple computer resources to be able to cheat in games (I mean beyond this one). But everyone today grows up on internet devices. Toddlers have Tablets. People born in the 1920s are more internet savvy than the AOLers from 1996 (ahh the days I could just ignore everyone from AOL and it wasn't everyone...) And my one tiny issue is going to be replaced so quickly in the near future where even I can afford it and will break down and buy it... I can't even argue it.

This is what I do now. I love that the forums allows me to stay logged in if I want. Thats what I do on my smartphone. Really dislike the DC Caves Mobile Site. Appreciate there are now more icons per page. Still impossible to use unless I'm willing to be on a larger screen - so I will stick with the Forums on my mobile and be happy with that. Because sooner or later we are all going to be walking around with cell phones with screens larger than our hands because .... thats just how its gonna roll. I couldn't believe the first time I saw a girl talking on one on the bus. I was like - is that for real?? Back to cell phones bigger than the original bricks.

Edited by natayah