KidaYuki

Multiple computer log on/login

My post had absolutely nothing to do with people getting on a computer you deemed safe. It had to do with someone who figured out your password logging in from another computer and how that would have to be dealt with. [ie logging into an unsafe computer logs out ALL other computers, including safe ones]

I agree, that would have to happen too. c:

Ideally this would also have a disclaimer similar to this:

"The only computer that is a "safe" computer is one that ONLY you have access to. If you have any siblings/friends/enemies/children/etc who think it would be fun to mess with your account you should NEVER use this option and you should set your Actions Security Method to password. Unattended computers left logged in are vulnerable to pranks/malicious action, especially if the actions are not password protected."

That makes the person think about if they have anyone who might want to mess with their account if they find it logged in, and if they do to consider password protecting their actions.

I never leave any computer I own unlocked. If I get up from my seat, I win-L and no one can do anything without my Windows password.

Honestly, it seems kind of crazy to me that we have to Recaptcha for every login. Usually sites only use captchas for registration or for human-checks if you've attempted to log in too many times in a short period and they don't want to implement progressive backoff. (Progressive backoff says the first couple of tries at your password are free, then you have to wait a minute, then a couple of minutes, then five, then 20, then an hour...)

Edited by siliconrose

I'd love it if we could have a way to be logged on to our own computer and logged on to our own mobile device at the same time. I never use any computer but my own for DC (except in circumstances so strange I can't actually think of them right now) but I do use my iphone to frequently check on special eggs, or to fog something that I've had to leave in an ER because of poor timing, things like that.

Yes, I can just take the extra few minutes to log in (and it does take me a few minutes because I'm utterly hopeless with captchas especially on a tiny screen--maybe I'm a robot and I don't know it) but I would love love love to have an option to say 'I know this computer will always be safe, keep me logged in.' And honestly if someone steals my phone I've got much bigger problems than worrying about if they also mess with my adoptables game, so as far as I'm concerned my phone is always safe too.

I know it's possible to do this, plenty of sites (including ones that handle personal information and real money) have that 'keep me logged on' button. The only danger to anyone's scroll would be if they didn't use the feature correctly. As cool as this game is, I don't see any reason why it should have more aggressive security measures than my amazon account or my online banking.

I wouldn't mind this. I usually stick to my desktop, but sometimes I pop on my phone or my laptop.

Now, I like it being optional. I also like the "log out of everything" button.

But, here's a little thought that might make it better, courtesy of AIM.

How about, each time you access the cave from a different device than you last logged on from, it had a pop-up or another page or something that says something to the effect of "You are currently logged on from X locations. Would you like to log out from all other locations?"

You can quickly and easily log out of the other locations, and if the X matches up with the number of other devices you know you're logged on from, the you can just hit "no" and go about your business.

It would only happen once when you first accessed from a different device than the last time, so it wouldn't keep bothering you if you stayed logged in from several devices. But it would happen each time you moved between devices.

Since it really only takes a second to hit "yes" or "no", it wouldn't be annoying like deciphering a captcha can be but it still provides a little extra security.

I still don't think it'd be a big deal. It's not that hard to keep your stuff secure. On several other things that have multiple log in options (dA, MSN), I'm always logged in through several locations--and haven't gotten hit once yet. Despite having four younger siblings. Know why? Because even if the browsers are logged in--the devices those browsers are in are locked themselves. So I have to go through double security every time I want to switch where I'm accessing from, which is annoying.

Honestly saying we can't have it because some people might get jipped is like the whole IOU mess... because a few people can't be trusted to use it properly the majority of us apparently can't be trusted to be responsible either... T____T

If you have more reasons to be worried about security then I do, then just log out of everything all the time and don't use this. That's cool. Just don't keep us from doing so simply because you wouldn't use it yourself.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

The way I see how it's set up now is that it's only annoying to people with good intentions, but to those who don't have those same good intentions are thankfully stopped from just getting on someone else's account and releasing/killing dragons or view bombing/changing names, etc. or whatever insane people who get into accounts do. Not really sure. o.o

I dislike having to sign in again because I always fail the Captcha once on and off (don't smash the letters together, Captcha. I'm ill and am already seeing double!) but I know that it does leaps and bounds for security.

STILL, this would be optional, but a lot of people would be complaining in time that their accounts were gotten into, dragons were killed or released, and there could be nothing done. Sometimes regulations are best left to protect people from decisions that will ruin their playing experience. >:

I was thinking more about this, and it occurred to me that those other sites I was talking about, where you can choose to stay logged on, you still have to enter your password before you can do anything--and we already have that, anyway. It doesn't matter too much if some houseguest goes on my amazon account because they can't buy anything without entering my password, and it doesn't matter too much if some houseguest goes on my dc account because they have to enter my password before they can abandon an egg or kill or release an adult.

Honestly saying we can't have it because some people might get jipped is like the whole IOU mess... because a few people can't be trusted to use it properly the majority of us apparently can't be trusted to be responsible either...

This is my sentiment exactly. Put up a warning like the one Pokemonfan13 suggested and let people decide for themselves if they want to use the optional 'keep logged in' feature or not.

Btw: Updated 1st post.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

I still want to know how come captchas on other sites I use are PERFECTLY legible at all times and why we cannot switch to one of those.

Even evil yahoo ! Not all straight in a line, but there is no possibility of not being able to read the letters/numbers.

I still want to know how come captchas on other sites I use are PERFECTLY legible at all times and why we cannot switch to one of those.

We'd have to ask TJ why he chose this one. But to be honest, even a better Captcha would only be a second-best option to me. If you change computers a lot and KNOW they're safe, then half a dozen needless Captchas every day still annoys.

We'd have to ask TJ why he chose this one. But to be honest, even a better Captcha would only be a second-best option to me. If you change computers a lot and KNOW they're safe, then half a dozen needless Captchas every day still annoys.

Oh sure.

But the ghastly ones we see here are such an issue; so many people get locked out for days at a time when they

refuse to appear

won't agree that you typed correctly

are completely inscrutable

and so on.

But the ghastly ones we see here are such an issue; so many people get locked out for days at a time when they

refuse to appear

won't agree that you typed correctly

are completely inscrutable

and so on.

I agree with that; this one is particularly horrible xd.png.

There are four computers [two of them my laptop and netbook], one ipod touch [dad's] and a tablet [mom's] in the house, but I ONLY access dragcave from my netbook. I don't feel the need to constantly check my eggs [even if I have something special], and I don't log in on my laptop if I want to check my eggs, I go to my netbook. I can stay logged in for months at a time. x3 So I can understand less than most why this would be needed.

I'd like something like this. Right now I'm pretty much confined to playing on my laptop, but when at home I may vacillate between PC, laptop, mobile device, and so on. It'd be nice to be able to stay logged in on my own devices but automatically log off from public or shared devices.

There is a solution to keep logged-in while switching PCs.

Find "portable" version of your favorite browser and place it on a flash drive.

Use ONLY that copy of browser to access dragcave.

This doesn't helps with switching platforms though (pc-phone-tablet-other OS) :(

But while you're inside same enviroinment - you're safe (like different windows versions for example).

PS. Sorry for IE users. it seems that "portable IE" is a no-go. (just add my 2¢ - even if you're using the very latest version of IE (10th as of now) - you're still dragging web design with extra work to support MS quirks/glitches and bugs).

PPS. Virtual machine solution can work even when moving between different platforms. But that would be overkill for re-login solution :)

~Merged~

I believe we use the captcha we do because of:

-security

-accessibility (language and audio)

-availability (some countries may block some captcha services)

-recaptcha helps digitize books and such, which is just a cool perk =p

I do have fears of this suggestion with how many members we get now who claim foul play, but I like KageSora's thought. :3

we used to be able to log in to our scrolls and stay logged in from multiple computers. It was taken away because too many people were claiming to have been hacked when they were not... they forgot to log out on a computer and someone else (usually a sibling) would go and kill or release or abandon their dragons.

Similar problems were also the reason that password protecting the actions was added, but I suspect too many people who should be using it aren't. It is a tradeoff, after all, between protecting the actions against malicious people and protecting against using the wrong action.

I'd like the "stay logged in" or "remember me" checkbox, because while I'd love to stay signed in on my phone, tablet and laptop, I wouldn't on say... A school computer.

The issue is the actual captcha images we get and the fact that they so often say we got it WRONG. IN theory just the word we can read should work - and it doesn't. the audio is unintelligible beciase of the level of background noise. Other sites - like yahoo and gmail (*spits gently*) - seem to have a legible one....

The thing with recaptcha is the most legible word is the one it can't test you on, since that's the word from a book or magazine that they're trying to get you to figure out for them. It's the one that looks like a normal captcha [all squiggly] that you have to get right.

The thing with recaptcha is the most legible word is the one it can't test you on, since that's the word from a book or magazine that they're trying to get you to figure out for them. It's the one that looks like a normal captcha [all squiggly] that you have to get right.

And that is why I wish TJ would bend and use a different one. I know there are others out there, and I have a hard time believing that a different one would open up a gaping hole in security.

And that is why I wish TJ would bend and use a different one. I know there are others out there, and I have a hard time believing that a different one would open up a gaping hole in security.

I don't understand what's wrong with recaptcha. With the regular kind there's two words that you have to get right, usually both of them being rather hard to read. I rarely have that much trouble with recaptcha.