KidaYuki

Multiple computer log on/login

How about a log on option to the site which would allow us to stayed logged into drag cave from multiple computers? Similar to the way the forums don't kick you out from computer to computer.

Maybe a person could opt out by doing something similar to the log on with deviantart which allows a user to pick if they want to be allowed to log onto multiple computers or not?

I'm just throwing this out here because I REALLY hate the "are you human" checkers along with the fact that I check from three different computer and I get kicked out each time and it drives me nuts.

Mistress of Whispers OP post with some other ideas/clarifications:

I play DC on my PC. And my notebook. And my tablet. And my phone. And hubby's PC too. Every time I switch computers, I have to log in again, which would be annoying even without the Captcha dry.gif. I understand that this auto-disconnect whenever you log in from another computer is safer, because it protects you from people who'd mess with your scroll if you forgot to log out from a public computer. But there are other ways of creating this security: a simple 'stay logged in on THIS computer' check box would suffice.

So could we please get the option of remaining logged in on several computers? People could then decide for themselves if they deem a particular computer to be safe and choose to remain logged in. It would not affect players who do not choose to remain logged in.

The default: auto log out.

The optional check box you can click when logging in: stay logged in on this computer.

We could also add a 'log out on all computers' button as a safeguard if you thought a certain computer was safe to remain logged in, but no longer think it is.

This feature should come with a clear warning so players really think about whether it's safe for them. Pokemonfan13 suggested something like this:

""The only computer that is a "safe" computer is one that ONLY you have access to. If you have any siblings/friends/enemies/children/etc who think it would be fun to mess with your account you should NEVER use this option and you should set your Actions Security Method to password. Unattended computers left logged in are vulnerable to pranks/malicious action, especially if the actions are not password protected.""

Another option, suggested by KageSora:

"How about, each time you access the cave from a different device than you last logged on from, it had a pop-up or another page or something that says something to the effect of "You are currently logged on from X locations. Would you like to log out from all other locations?"

You can quickly and easily log out of the other locations, and if the X matches up with the number of other devices you know you're logged on from, the you can just hit "no" and go about your business."

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I would support this if it were optional. I figure, so long as the site gives you the option of more security, it can safely give you the option of less security without getting in trouble.

It will give cheaters an ability to abuse the rules. Like 5 guys would be trying to catch a Rare at one account, it will increase chances to get one very high.

It will give cheaters an ability to abuse the rules. Like 5 guys would be trying to catch a Rare at one account, it will increase chances to get one very high.

If you wan't to cheat, you actually CAN be logged in from multiple computers at the same time, but you can't be without cheating/basic computer skills.

This.

I log on from both my laptop and netbook, and my netbook's been used too much so it's a bit fail. So doing the CAPTCHA is extremely annoying.

And perhaps it could only be possible to be logged in from two computers at once, and not to actually be ONLINE on two at once?

That'd probably bog the account down anyway, with five different places it needs to process things from. Good luck hunting.

I have to say I'm against this idea. It protects the people that forget to log out while on someone else's computer. I'd much rather have to log in again (such a hard task! :B) than be hacked because of my forgetfulness. I don't see it happening, anyway. If TJ wanted it done he probably could have by now, it's not groundbreaking or anything.

I have to say I'm against this idea. It protects the people that forget to log out while on someone else's computer. I'd much rather have to log in again (such a hard task! :cool.gif than be hacked because of my forgetfulness. I don't see it happening, anyway. If TJ wanted it done he probably could have by now, it's not groundbreaking or anything.

Yes, I agree with this reason, too.

I support this idea, especially if it's something that's optional.

And yes. For people who have trouble with CAPTCHAs, it is "such a hard task" to have to log in over and over again, just because they used another computer. rolleyes.gif (The accessibility issues of CAPTCHAs are pretty well established.)

Edited by DarkLadyNyara

I would enjoy having this option. Though I rarely check from anyone else's computer... sometimes it's necessary even on my own to check from a different browser.

For instance, Chrome is my default browser. But the Christmas Tree decorating does not work on it for me, at all. I've done everything others have suggested as far as logging in/out, turning off Adblock, etc. Can't move ornaments. Now I can't even view it - just get a database error.

So needing to log in and out daily just to get to the tree on Firefox? Very annoying.

Plus, it'd be nice to be able to easily fog an egg from my iPod while I'm out and about.

So I'd like this very much, if it were optional. Though yes, I can see it resulting in more complaints of being hacked, when people forget to log out on someone else's computer.

Herm, I wonder if it could work like gmail, where it'll tell you whether you're still logged in on another computer, and give you the option of logging out remotely....

This.

I log on from both my laptop and netbook, and my netbook's been used too much so it's a bit fail. So doing the CAPTCHA is extremely annoying.

And perhaps it could only be possible to be logged in from two computers at once, and not to actually be ONLINE on two at once?

I kinda like that idea, where with my Yahoo IM if I'm online from multiple times from different computer it gives me a little memo saying something to the tune of: your on multiple computers we are logging you off on the other computers.

I support this idea. I HATE the captcha used here(I still think there HAS to be a better one out there) and I despise having to log in again because I changed computers. I also support it being an optional thing, so those worried that they might forget to log off won't have to worry.

I would support this idea only if it were optional, except for the fact stated above. It would make it easier to cheat. Unless TJ could magically make it to where cheating is impossible, I don't think I can support this for that reason.

I support this too, I constantly switch from my laptop to my desktop and it gets really annoying to have to keep signing in. I also think it should be optional.

I have to say I'm against this idea. It protects the people that forget to log out while on someone else's computer. I'd much rather have to log in again (such a hard task! :cool.gif than be hacked because of my forgetfulness. I don't see it happening, anyway. If TJ wanted it done he probably could have by now, it's not groundbreaking or anything.

Well, that's why it would be an option. So if you, Mustangs44, would rather have to log in again than have someone else access your account (which by the way wouldn't be hacking any more than stealing a car with the keys left in the ignition is "hot-wiring"), you can, and the rest of us would prefer to have to remember to log out when using public computers. Which, imho, is slightly less cumbersome than logging in each time you switch computers.

EDIT: I would assume if someone is cheating in this manner, it would be easily caught by TJ and the person would either have the option taken away or their scroll burned. Considering people can already do pretty much the same thing as this now, by having multiple scrolls, which is, from what I can tell, harder to catch people doing, I don't see this as such a big deal.

Edited by ~!~

I suppose this wouldn't be so bad provided the default option was the current setting. I happen to like the current setup and do not want it to change for me.

You USED to be able to be logged in to your scroll from multiple computers (like the forum does), but too many people were getting their accounts "soft hacked".. i.e. someone would access a computer and see someone else's account logged in and then doing damage to that other person's scroll...all without needing to log in cause the other person never logged out.

That'd probably bog the account down anyway, with five different places it needs to process things from. Good luck hunting.

I have to say I'm against this idea. It protects the people that forget to log out while on someone else's computer. I'd much rather have to log in again (such a hard task! :B) than be hacked because of my forgetfulness. I don't see it happening, anyway. If TJ wanted it done he probably could have by now, it's not groundbreaking or anything.

You USED to be able to be logged in to your scroll from multiple computers (like the forum does), but too many people were getting their accounts "soft hacked".. i.e. someone would access a computer and see someone else's account logged in and then doing damage to that other person's scroll...all without needing to log in cause the other person never logged out.

It's for reasons like this I'm hesitant to support this suggestion. What happens when many people just turn it off and then end up getting hacked? Yes, TJ could still fix it, but then what's even the point of the security precautions? o3o

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I see your point, and - despite being annoying at times - I see the reason for the need to log in every time you switch computer. So, I'm going to delete my former statement of support. smile.gif

Another reason I can think of for not supporting is Holiday catching. I know this isn't officially sanctioned, but it is widespread and will most likely continue to be. As it stands now, only one person can be logged in at a time. So if the "catcher" started doing something unscrupulous, all the scroll owner has to do is log back in and it will kick the other person off before they can do any more damage. When I'm catching for people as I did this Halloween and Christmas, I generally try to include this statement in the PM so that they know they have that extra "level" of security. I know that if this suggested feature was optional, people could turn it back off before having a catcher-- but many people likely wouldn't remember, and an dishonest catcher isn't likely to point it out. Plus the catcher could just change the option back once they're logged in. ):

It's for reasons like this I'm hesitant to support this suggestion. What happens when many people just turn it off and then end up getting hacked? Yes, TJ could still fix it, but then what's even the point of the security precautions? o3o

If someone turns off security precautions, then gets their scroll damaged, isn't that kind of their fault? Like when someone leaves themselves logged in on a computer that younger siblings have access to?

The point, imho, would be extra security for those that want it, while not inconveniencing those who don't. Sort of like how you can set it so that you have to use your password for certain options, rather than just the action name. It's nice for those who feel they need it, but not everyone does.

Another reason I can think of for not supporting is Holiday catching. I know this isn't officially sanctioned, but it is widespread and will most likely continue to be. As it stands now, only one person can be logged in at a time. So if the "catcher" started doing something unscrupulous, all the scroll owner has to do is log back in and it will kick the other person off before they can do any more damage. When I'm catching for people as I did this Halloween and Christmas, I generally try to include this statement in the PM so that they know they have that extra "level" of security. I know that if this suggested feature was optional, people could turn it back off before having a catcher-- but many people likely wouldn't remember, and an dishonest catcher isn't likely to point it out. Plus the catcher could just change the option back once they're logged in. ):

A dishonest catcher could also just change the password before screwing up the scroll. ninja.gif Once you let someone onto your scroll, you pretty much have to trust them- that's why using catchers is so strongly discouraged.

i disagree, because or the hacking issue, and all that...yadda yadda.

but, what if instead of implementing this, TJ gets a better captcha? ive seen much easier, simpler captchas. subeta has very nice, easy captchas.

here's a pic of an image subeta uses: image.

If someone turns off security precautions, then gets their scroll damaged, isn't that kind of their fault? Like when someone leaves themselves logged in on a computer that younger siblings have access to?

That's very true. It won't stop them from complaining and being upset about it, though. I remember way back when, almost every single day there would be a new thread about someone's scroll getting messed up. Now with the different security measures it's few and far between. Yes, it would be their fault if they used this option and it led to their scroll getting messed with, but they would still post and complain and be upset about it. I think it's a lot more drama then is needed.

I would support an easier-to-read captcha program, tho....

i disagree, because or the hacking issue, and all that...yadda yadda.

but, what if instead of implementing this, TJ gets a better captcha? ive seen much easier, simpler captchas. subeta has very nice, easy captchas.

here's a pic of an image subeta uses: image.

That captcha is even worse than the current ones.

Captchas aren't the issue, the issue is one of convenience.

As for security, I have two things to say:

1. Don't leave your scroll logged in on computers that aren't your own, take 2 seconds to click logout when done. Better yet, don't use computers that aren't your own at all if you aren't sure of their security.

2. Enable password verification for actions. Then if someone walks up to a logged in scroll, they can't do anything.