TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

If you implement that then the trolls who realize this will just start voting all 2s. It really doesn't make much difference.

Well 2's are better then 1's I suppose... Yeah I guess... oh well... And TJ might not do averages, he might just add all the diff ratings from Tree 4 up and it equals 94 or something random and for the ones that have less votes, he would vote, and maybe mods or something... *shrugs* I can't wait to see more ornaments though smile.gif They are really pretty and I really want to thank the spriters for making so many for us!

Quote from Lythiaren

Yes, yes at least I do. Because I'm a realist.

However the contest rules and the clarifications do solve a lot of problems! I honestly am skeptical of Tj picking the final ones, but the automated voting method seems fair (with some marginal room for error, admittedly). Right now my biggest concern is egg hoarding, but if these things can breed like normal dragons, eventually the problem will be solved on it's own. There are things I'd personally change, but this seems like a good compromise between the various groups (at least other then the ones who called everyone's well-worded concerns "whining". The only cure for that is time and learning other people's perspectives.)

Then you are looking at a very small minority and assuming that, through the entire process, every single one of the winners will be among the very small and very much invisible group that does not give dragons for anything. You need only to look in SD and the gifting threads to see that this community has had generosity carved into it.

If you still think that absolutely none of the winners will ever trade out their eggs for anything other than your firstborn, several organs and at least three limbs, then that isn't realism; that's extreme pessimism.

And that's saying something, considering I'm a pessimist myself.

Edited by Lythiaren

I agree with MedievalMystic.

Also I just noticed that the layout changed for winter.

Edited by Ninetails

Thanks TJ, for doing such a wonderful job with this contest. It seems to have alleviated some concerns and doubts [with a couple of exceptions, of course, because you can't please everyone unfortunately].

The only problem I forsee [and I don't really see it being a problem either] is the average votes per tree and such, as others have brought up. Someone receiving 100 votes and another receiving 150, but I imagine that it would be evened out in some manner.

I too, am a realist, and while people are capable of doing evil, there are also plenty who are capable of doing good. Seeing as how TJ has brought us this game, brought us this site, brought it ALL for free, AND does all of these little extras without asking us for a thing shows that he would likely vote on these finalists fairly as well.

Come to think of it, I'd rather not have a point-based rating system (like 1 to 10 points), but one where you compare up to 5 trees and choose the one you like the most. Why? Because a) you have to choose one as the best and b ) you cannot give minimum points to all trees you see.

Just for the lulz: Make people vote whenever...

1) ...they perform an action on their scroll (breeding, naming, sorting, BSA...)

2) ...whenever they picked up an egg (showing a pop-up over the GETCODE page?)

3) ... they log in or log out or view their /account page

This way, you make sure people vote more than once, giving a more level-headed opinion.

Wow, the controvery here blows my mind...I mean, people are already sweating bullets over the whole thing, and complaining about unfairness already, and it's barely even started! I'm going into this not expecting to win a thing, and I won't begrudge those that do! If I see an awesome design, I'm giving it a high vote. So what if people get the new dragon? It's not like the rest of us are going without with all the new releases that TJ puts out! Sheesh! It's way early, and I feel sorry for those that win already! I can only imagine the things that will be said...

Gotta remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and yes, there will NEVER be a time when everyone agrees about something. Most of the whining is because the tree's will be judged based on opinion. so if someone thinks they have the best tree, but it doesn't win would probably get upset, because no one likes to be told their opinion is wrong, even if opinions are neither wrong or right.

Holy stuff! This is an event I am most definitely looking forward too.

Yes, well, everyone has opinion's, sure, but this has the potential to turn pretty ugly, something I really don't want to see happen! I mean, someone win's and they get torn apart in the forums...I can see it already! >.< I mean, how bad would that suck for the winner's? Can't people just be happy for them?

@olympe: That's a good idea, actually. It eliminates the problem of people giving everyone 1's.

Wait TJ will the golds, silvers, and bronze dragons be able to be abandoned?

I am going to repost this question.

What about the people who happen to be more popular on the forums? Wouldn't it be a given that their trees get more votes? Or is there a special page for the ones who submitted where their trees are "nameless," and users can vote for trees without knowing whose they are?

Wow, the controvery here blows my mind...I mean, people are already sweating bullets over the whole thing, and complaining about unfairness already, and it's barely even started! I'm going into this not expecting to win a thing, and I won't begrudge those that do! If I see an awesome design, I'm giving it a high vote. So what if people get the new dragon? It's not like the rest of us are going without with all the new releases that TJ puts out! Sheesh! It's way early, and I feel sorry for those that win already! I can only imagine the things that will be said...

^^This to the 10th power.

Calm down, people! I think someone who created and runs this VAST game with all it's complicated coding and planning and such can manage a contest that is fair and honest.

*facepalm* They will all be anonymous. Nobody will know who they are voting for. This isn't a popularity contest.

What about the people who happen to be more popular on the forums? Wouldn't it be a given that their trees get more votes? Or is there a special page for the ones who submitted where their trees are "nameless," and users can vote for trees without knowing whose they are?

This question has ben asked already and stated in the first post. Voting is anonomous. You could be voting for your best friends tree and not even know it.

[*]From the 8th until midnight on the 15th (exactly 7 days), users will be able to rate trees (on a scale of 1-10) anonymously. Users may rate as many trees as they wish, but each user will only be able to vote on any given tree once.

*cough*

I for one, have no clue who the 'popular' people on here are, and could care less! I wouldn't give them a high vote just because they were known on this site! Someone that noone has ever heard of, or who just joined not long ago might come up with a design that's breathtaking. Who care's about popular? If someone who's popular has a tree that is sloppy, I'm not giving them a high vote! Jeez!

I'm glad it's anonymous. That's a load off right there.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Thanks TJ for doing a fantastic job with the contest. The Tree Decorating Event sounds very great and fun!

Then you are looking at a very small minority and assuming that, through the entire process, every single one of the winners will be among the very small and very much invisible group that does not give dragons for anything.  You need only to look in SD and the gifting threads to see that this community has had generosity carved into it.

If you still think that absolutely none of the winners will ever trade out their eggs for anything other than your firstborn, several organs and at least three limbs, then that isn't realism; that's extreme pessimism.

And that's saying something, considering I'm a pessimist myself.

(some holly parents ask for such)(or at least dragons that the majority of people cannot get/give, CB metallics/Neglected ect.)

The only thing I worry about, with the epic win dragons, is like hollies, everyone will want one, but no one will get one. And unlike hollies, if you have one, you arnt limited to a set number, so you can horde all you want. (and there are way more holly's than just 5/10/ 15,) yet still, every christmas, holly's are what people crave

yeah sure, in months and ages, if the dragons are kept on a strict breeding program, refusals are minimal, eggs produced each and every time, perhaps, 20/30 people might have one... But for the 200,000+ other people who would like one, it will be another begging thing like Holly's... But it isnt my game, or dragon, so TJ will do it as he pleases.

I look forward to at least viewing the prizes.

Good Luck to everyone!

what if there are more than 200 ppl that got their tree rated 10/10?

repost, un less i missed something

(some holly parents ask for such)(or at least dragons that the majority of people cannot get/give, CB metallics/Neglected ect.)

The only thing I worry about, with the epic win dragons, is like hollies, everyone will want one, but no one will get one. And unlike hollies, if you have one, you arnt limited to a set number, so you can horde all you want. (and there are way more holly's than just 5/10/ 15,) yet still, every christmas, holly's are what people crave

yeah sure, in months and ages, if the dragons are kept on a strict breeding program, refusals are minimal, eggs produced each and every time, perhaps, 20/30 people might have one... But for the 200,000+ other people who would like one, it will be another begging thing like Holly's... But it isnt my game, or dragon, so TJ will do it as he pleases.

I look forward to at least viewing the prizes.

Good Luck to everyone!

"Some" is the important word here.

It's not the fault of holly owners that people are offering cool things. Mine was a gift. I know of at least 6-7 other people who also got theirs gifted.

Edited by Lythiaren

Also I have a few questions. Will the people who get first sencond and third place be able to get custom codes too? And on the vote thing will the name show up on who's tree it is?