TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

The tree is cute, but I've only seen it once. Every time I try to click on it, it tells me there is a database error!

Refresh your screen. That should make it appear.

Well now I'm excited! I must admit I was slightly sceptical about the contest at first, but now that we know more about it it seems rather well-organised and fair. I can't wait to participate, regardless of wether I win anything or not. :3

Thanks so much TJ for the extra effort!

The trees will be randomized and anonymous so it won't matter if nobody ever looks at your scroll. I imagine it will be similar (but not exactly the same) as the system for reviewing dragon descriptions.

But how does that ensure that every tree receives the same number of votes? Wouldn't it be unfair if one tree gets 100 votes and another 150? unsure.gif

But I love the whole contest btw! I'm really looking forward to decorating my tree. biggrin.gif

So do I, my mind is just wired to see how people could cheat at stuff like this though...

Well, but as Lyth pointed out, it wouldn't really make much difference. It would mostly just make everything look like it was rated lower, but since it's the top 200 instead of everything rated above a particular number, that doesn't really matter. There will be enough people voting (both fairly and trying to cheat that way) that it won't be a particular advantage to the cheaters, and the effects will fade into the background.

Dang it. Now I have to decide what I'd want. Do I want a Leetle Tree (which I've seen asked several times with no answer either way) or do I want a Holly or do I want a CB Frill. Choices, choices.....

*goes back to decorating her tree*

Thank you TJ for the fun contest! I can't wait to see how this all plays out. And thank you for protecting the eggs against sickness! I can see some mean people going and trying to kill the winning eggs because THEY didn't get to win. I'd want to beat them with a stick, but it still wouldn't bring my dragon back (if I get one).

EDIT: read the posts before me, nvm

Glad they are breedable though.....even though I said I didn't want them to be earlier. but the way of judging changed my mind..

Edited by GoldenPhoenix

what if there are more than 200 ppl that got their tree rated 10/10?

EDIT: phoenix, its completely anonymous

Edited by lizardtail

User judged for the 200 finalists? Sounds like it's gonna be a popularity contest.....that puts me out....I'm not well known here. Cause only popular people will get htier tree judged. Maybe we should create a thread where if you want your tree judged you can post there...it's an idea.

Glad they are breedable though.....even though I said I didn't want them to be earlier. but the way of judging changed my mind..

You don't know whose tree you are rating, so its not a popularity contest. Thankfully, cause I would lose that too:)

@superguy: If someone votes all 1s on everything it doesn't really affect the scores. If a thousand people vote all 1s, all it does is make the scores look closer together.

I wonder if there's some way (like with descriptions) to find and remove the "1" voters from the voting pool?

Also, since everyone will vote differently, the more each individual votes, the more fair the contest will be. smile.gif

But how does that ensure that every tree receives the same number of votes? Wouldn't it be unfair if one tree gets 100 votes and another 150? unsure.gif

But I love the whole contest btw! I'm really looking forward to decorating my tree. biggrin.gif

I'd guess TJ would average it out. So if a tree got 100 votes and they equaled 400 and you divide that by 100= av. 4 votes. while a tree with 50 votes equaling 500 would be 500/50=av. 10. Or did I do that backwards.

Just guessing or maybe its my geeky side showing through again

I sometimes don't know what kind of items they are ö_ö

Christmas Spheres, and other, sometimes hard to see what it is.

User judged for the 200 finalists? Sounds like it's gonna be a popularity contest.....that puts me out....I'm not well known here. Cause only popular people will get htier tree judged. Maybe we should create a thread where if you want your tree judged you can post there...it's an idea.

THE TREES ARE ANONYMUS!!! You can't view the trees from peoples scrolls and when rating you can't see who's tree it is.

You don't know whose tree you are rating, so its not a popularity contest. Thankfully, cause I would lose that too:)

*likes that much better*

xd.png, leave it to me to overreact.

Im going to add another question to that, will we be able to view the adult of the prize dragon before we pick?

Im going to repost my questions.

I think there should be some type of consequence from voting one on more than 1 tree... maybe your tree is auto not in gold/silver/bronze and only has a CHANCE to get into Honorable mentions? Or maybe if you give 5 peeps ones, then your tree automatically gets 5 1's... IDK just some suggestions to make cheating go down...

Quote from Lythiaren

The nature of "random" means that every single tree will have equal chance to be voted on by every single member. The chance that some trees get shafted out of votes exists, but is not significant due to the random nature of distribution. Your concern is misplaced.

As for your concern regarding egg hoarding, do you honestly think so little of your fellow players as to assume they are automatically incapable of generosity?

Yes, yes at least I do. Because I'm a realist.

However the contest rules and the clarifications do solve a lot of problems! I honestly am skeptical of Tj picking the final ones, but the automated voting method seems fair (with some marginal room for error, admittedly). Right now my biggest concern is egg hoarding, but if these things can breed like normal dragons, eventually the problem will be solved on it's own. There are things I'd personally change, but this seems like a good compromise between the various groups (at least other then the ones who called everyone's well-worded concerns "whining". The only cure for that is time and learning other people's perspectives.)

Edited by basilmemories

EDIT: read the posts before me, nvm

Did you not see where TJ said it is anonymous? No one knows whose tree they are voting on and you will not know who voted on your tree. So there is really no way it can turn into a popularity contest.

I think there should be some type of consequence from voting one on more than 1 tree... maybe your tree is auto not in gold/silver/bronze and only has a CHANCE to get into Honorable mentions? Or maybe if you give 5 peeps ones, then your tree automatically gets 5 1's... IDK just some suggestions to make cheating go down...

BUt what if some of the random trees really are 1s?

If you implement that then the trolls who realize this will just start voting all 2s. It really doesn't make much difference.

Meh, even if someone did rate all the tree's ones, I think as mention before it will only make the tree's scores closer together.

One of my Christmas dragons Gendered!

Wow, the controvery here blows my mind...I mean, people are already sweating bullets over the whole thing, and complaining about unfairness already, and it's barely even started! I'm going into this not expecting to win a thing, and I won't begrudge those that do! If I see an awesome design, I'm giving it a high vote. So what if people get the new dragon? It's not like the rest of us are going without with all the new releases that TJ puts out! Sheesh! It's way early, and I feel sorry for those that win already! I can only imagine the things that will be said...