TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

I finally found a busy tree with lots of ornaments that I actually liked! I guess seeing blue/silver and red/gold themes does get a bit old, but when it does, I stop judging for a bit and come back later. So much is personal taste anyway. I dislike the words/letters and impossible floating things, but others like them.

It's funny how it runs in streaks for me - I'll see half a dozen that I like (5-8 ratings) and get cheered up, then it'll be a run of 'no efforts' (1-3 ratings) and my eyes will start to cross.

I finally have pinpointed my voting system:

1 is for empty and over busy trees

2 is for trees that are pretty bad but have one redeeming quality

3 is for trees that are fairly boring or cluttered but have a nice color scheme

4 is for trees that look nice but are not the creative

5 is for trees that look like some effort was put in but still don't wow me.

6 Nice idea; poorly executed

7 it is a nice idea and was well executed (nicely done DC trees)

8 Creative, but a common sort of creative, that looks ok (a decent looking heart)

9 Creative, but a common sort of creative, that looks really nice (pretty heart) or a really creative idea that wasn't executed all that well.

10 The wow trees, really creative, really well executed, very visually appealing.

---------------------------------------

starting to wonder if I am being to harsh.... sad.gif

ouch. that makes me feel like im being very harsh. i have yet to give above a six.

i think my average is 2. >.>

think im gunna have to start loosening up xd.png

Wow. lol If someone has a tree that I can see they tried with and looks like I'd see it in a friends home, that's a five for me. Then I go up and down from there. I totally respect people's voting systems, but what is everyone saving that much of the scale for? xd.png

I love it when people make use of the present area underneath the tree. I put some toys and things under mine, and I hope people like what I did. I don't judge people on whether they used the area or not. I still mostly vote on the tree itself.

Though I did see a tree-topper dragon/parrot army in the present area once....it scared me. xd.png

Wow. lol If someone has a tree that I can see they tried with and looks like I'd see it in a friends home, that's a five for me. Then I go up and down from there. I totally respect people's voting systems, but what is everyone saving that much of the scale for? xd.png

I wouldn't call it saving the scale, I would call it using the scale.

I heard on IRC that there were over 8000 trees entered.

That doesn't seem like a lot, especially considering I voted on a few hundred already.

Perhaps I will vote them all.

Hey! Wouldn't that be a cool badge? Gotta rate 'em all!

I wish there was a way we could see how many trees we still have to rate. You know, something that says 'You've rated 20/60 trees' or something like that.

I just think it would be nice.

I judge on everything-the tree, topper, present area, floaters, too cluttered/plain, etc. If I can see it, it counts. Busy doesn't always mean bad-sometimes the stuff looks like its been well thought out and nice.

Using areas like the presents and stuff for me shows creativity. I haven't given any 1's yet-I only plan to use the 1's for completely empty trees with no decoration at all. I see those like taking an exam and handing in a blank test.

Edited by DiamondDragon

First of all, the tree itself is beautiful. Whoever drew, shopped, or "borrowed" it, did a great job. I loved how gifts were added as the days went by, too.

Second. The ornaments, tree dragons, all the things given to decorate with. Fantastic!

Third. Most of the trees are really nice. Most people thought out how the tree looked and did good jobs. The judging is difficult.

Fourth. We all need to realize, there's going to be a limit to the winners. We can't all get a prize.

Fifth. It was great of TJ to give us all this extra. The actual tree game, the extra time, and the fun.

Thank you to TJ and the mods.

Ok here is how I decide what to give a tree:

If this tree was in your house and I walked in, would I go:

ohmy.gif

blink.gif

unsure.gif

wink.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

and then I vote appropriately based on my First reaction. Very simple.

I saw a really pretty tree with all the bubbles in a rainbow 8D but the pretty tree was ruined when there was a heap of the unused ornaments on the side. -Gives 6 for the heap of unused ornaments-

can ppl plz stop hatin on the busy trees i mean i know they may (to you) just look messy( ik some are lazy wit no effort) but i think it makes em look like big family trees (excluding lazy ones) and thos are awesome :] to me the best trees can mix all the colors in harmony use ornaments in a creative unseen way and just make you think "dang i wish i could fix my tree right now".

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If I told you to vote negatively on trees you like, would you do it? Probably not. And just the same will we not vote highly of trees we dislike.

I wish there was a way we could see how many trees we still have to rate. You know, something that says 'You've rated 20/60 trees' or something like that.

I just think it would be nice.

Now that would be good!

I'd like that a lot.

I don't know how many I've rated today, but I'd love to know.

can ppl plz stop hatin on the busy trees i mean i know they may (to you) just look messy( ik some are lazy wit no effort) but i think it makes em look like big family trees (excluding lazy ones) and thos are awesome :] to me the best trees can mix all the colors in harmony use ornaments in a creative unseen way and just make you think "dang i wish i could fix my tree right now".

Here is the thing. I don't really know what real christmas trees look like. I am not seeing these and thinking "oh, that reminds me of a big family tree" I am thinking "way to much stuff." For me I am not assessing, does this looks like a christmas tree, I am assessing, how does this look on the screen.

I love it when people make use of the present area underneath the tree. I put some toys and things under mine, and I hope people like what I did. I don't judge people on whether they used the area or not. I still mostly vote on the tree itself.

I tried to use the area, but my items did not show up.

I also wish that there was a way to find out how many we have voted for versus how many total trees. I have been at this for over two hours and have no idea where I stand

Oh no I just saw a tree that really does look just like mine... I actually thought it was mine for a moment.

I am starting to wonder, what would happen if some-one rated them all? blink.gif

Edited by Micropeep

I've been doing my best on the voting, but so many of the trees are blown out and obviously frozen in mid-decorate that it is difficult to tell what the person was going for. That is a shame because this is such a great idea, and it is fun!

I like the busy trees, because they are funny and it took a lot of creativity to get all that stuff onto the tree!

Also, anyone else seeing the same tree more than once? I cannot say for 100% certain, but I swear a few of the same tree have shown up as I am voting. Not just similar, but the same exact tree.

I have still yet to give a tree a 9 or 10. Those numbers are reserved for "wow" trees, for me. I have a feeling some of these trees shifted or something because I've seen a tree that's completely decorated, just moved to the right. Normally it would have gotten a 2 from me but the perfect shift gave it a 7. I have a system made for rating trees that kinda popped up and I'm rating them harshly because I know there will be thousands of trees to go through, so having 9 and 10 reserved for the elusive "wow" trees is a must for me.

@Sarcastra: I am sure I've seen two trees twice. Also the group I was with had 3 people come across the same tree at nearly the same time.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

I feel like I totally missed something when I was decorating because it never even occurred to me to go silver/blue. I feel kind of foolish seeing how many people got an idea that sailed clean over my head. lol

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If I told you to vote negatively on trees you like, would you do it? Probably not. And just the same will we not vote highly of trees we dislike.

ik what your saying it just kinda ruins it when i see really good creative trees and then i come on here and ppl complain about them cause "theres to much". it just seem kinda lame that people voted neg. cause some were overdone

I can't find it in my heart to give a decorated tree a 1. xd.png

Me neither.

I have been using "1" for the totally undecorated trees.

I rate "busy" trees based on how I think they look; some got a "3" from me; others got a "7".

I think it depends on how they used the ornaments.