TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

I think telling how you voted sorta defeats the purpose of an anonymous voting contest. Why not vote and not say what number you are giving out? Isnt that why TJ made it anonymous -- so noone knows WHO voted how?

Now I realize there is no way we can vote on every single tree submitted because I am sure there are thousands but to say you are giving 5s or 7s or 4s -- will make some think you messed up their chances to win and none of us need that drama.

Now on topic -- I do think it is unfair for the ones of us who submitted during the bug because I just had 4 bare trees go through for me to vote on.

I haven't come across any trees decorated like mine so far, which feels nice. It took a lot of thought to come up with something not a lot of people would do. The down side to being original is people will either really like it or really hate it...

It's funny that a lot of people seem to be giving the big green gift to TJ. I've come across a lot of trees with the TJ logo pasted on the green box as if to say it's for him.

There are two styles I'm voting very harshly on. The Katamari trees and face trees. A childhood trauma has scared me in to despising them. When I was five my parents took me to see Santa and just in front of Santa was a talking robotic faced tree. It scared me to death. I wound up screaming and crying uncontrollably. I had nightmares for a whole year. Even now when I see a face on a Christmas tree i still hate it.

I'm curious, since I've seen this on DOZENS of trees - one string of lights, just below the word recorded. Glitch, or on purpose??

Think I'm going to have to take a break as my eyes are starting to cross and I find that I'm seeing so much of the same that it's coloring my voting - like the silver/blue schemes for example. While they're nice and all, after several dozen, they become very BLAH. Same with the red and gold and the rainbow. Quite a lot of people seem to have chosen the same color scheme for their trees.

What annoys about my tree is that I spent forever fitting things and deciding where to put shapes so there weren't a bunch of circles in one spot and stuff like that. I worked so hard yet so many people would describe it as "just throwing things on the tree" I like to judge cluttered trees because I can really look at them and see if they actually did think or if they did just throw things on. I hope people realize that when they look at mine. sad.gifninja.gif

I don't think you should worry. It's easy to see who put lots of stuff on thoughtfully and who didn't. I rate high for people who used a lot of ornaments well as I think that's quite a talent.

I really think it's total crap, that the trees are submitted as they are when the editing phase finished. I spent about an hour to decorate my tree and for what? Nothing. It's submitted as it was last, and everything went back as it was, there's no save button or anything. Honestly, how can anybody who's not living in the USA have a fair chance to submit a proper tree? I can't sit on the computer for 24 hours looking when the editing phase is over and quickly decorate my tree before it. That's just stupid... -.-

The decorations seemed to glitch after the submit button. After that you could decorate your tree any time before editing ended, not just right before it ended, and it would submit the last version.

I really think it's total crap, that the trees are submitted as they are when the editing phase finished. I spent about an hour to decorate my tree and for what? Nothing. It's submitted as it was last, and everything went back as it was, there's no save button or anything. Honestly, how can anybody who's not living in the USA have a fair chance to submit a proper tree? I can't sit on the computer for 24 hours looking when the editing phase is over and quickly decorate my tree before it. That's just stupid... -.-

I am in the UK - and if you followed this thread, you would have known that the glitch was there, that it was sorted, and that TJ gave us an extra day to sort it all out.

We DID all have that chance, we really did. TJ worked his little socks off for us here.

I don't like all of the clutter trees, but some are really nice, so I rate them highly. I think with anything you have to realize every idea will probably get repeated. Like the smiley faces or DC text. I would say I haven't rated any of these high for the idea alone and I've seen multiples of all of them. But there are always one or two that have a little something extra or are just done really well.

Okay I have a couple of questions for TJ:

1. How many trees were entered?

2. Will all the votes just be added up, or averaged per number of people who voted on the tree?

Just wondering as some trees will randomly show up more than others and this may skew the results if it is a pure total of ratings as opposed to average.

Thanks!

Wondering the same-- also, if I don't vote on every tree now, and I come back and start voting again, will I see all the trees? Just the ones I haven't seen yet? Just a random selection?

its kind of sad when the whole tree is kind of terrible looking but it has one area where you just go 'woah, dude thats awesome'

i just saw a tree like that. the tree is kind of lame, but the topper, that one gold dragon with the orb above it, looks like its holding the set of bells and its totally wrapped in lights.

kind of sweet looking.

now im struggling to vote on 'the whole tree image, or reward them with a reasonable well rating because of the topper.

I give sixes for those, when the tree is nothing special and it has one really cool thing sticking out.

I saw one that was REEAAALLLYY cluttered. I mean, maybe every single ornament was on it, with lights too, I think, and maybe tinsel, but I gave it a 7 because . . . well . . . I still liked it. I almost gave it an 8 but then decided it was a little TOO cluttered to look like an 8.

It's funny that a lot of people seem to be giving the big green gift to TJ. I've come across a lot of trees with the TJ logo pasted on the green box as if to say it's for him.

I think that's because, at first, things only stuck in certain places to the gifts and so that one fit there. I noticed that in the last day or two you could put the little things all over the bottom of the tree.

I hope my tree looks to everyone else the same way it looks to me now when I go to its link. -.-

Im not judging based on the color or colors on the tree. Im judging on how pretty the tree is i thought that is what we are here to do

I wonder if someone has seen yet my tree and if he/she liked it... I really want to know the final vote, it's a good way to know if you work was enough good or you still have to work on decoration skills.

What annoys about my tree is that I spent forever fitting things and deciding where to put shapes so there weren't a bunch of circles in one spot and stuff like that.  I worked so hard yet so many people would describe it as "just throwing things on the tree"  I like to judge cluttered trees because I can really look at them and see if they actually did think or if they did just throw things on.  I hope people realize that when they look at mine. sad.gifninja.gif

Here is the thing though. A busy tree is a busy tree. In the end it doesn't matter how long someone spent on the busy tree, if there is too much on it, it becomes too hard to look at it.

Edited by Micropeep

Im not judging based on the color or colors on the tree. Im judging on how pretty the tree is i thought that is what we are here to do

IMO, the colors can help make it prettier sometimes. I love some of the rainbow trees.

A tree gets a low score from me if an ornament is floating around randomly.  Most of them get a 5, nothing too special, but still nice and orderly.  The messy ones get a below average, and the ones that look like they took no effort at all also get a lower score. 

What you said made me quite sad...sad.gif Would you vote my tree down just because there's a chain garland piece floating about an inch and a half above my tree? I was VERY careful with placing all of my extra stuff so it wouldn't be seen, but that ONE piece was missed and now everyone can see it. I would hate for you to vote on my tree and give it a low score just because of that.

I try to be fair to the people who have random floaters, when they obviously don't look like part of a person's theme or pattern. I judge their tree on how it looks and ignore the distracting floaters. It may not be entirely their fault, ya know? Like with my one little floater.

Also, "no effort"? Does that mean simple and traditional looking trees look like no effort? Mine is very simple and might look like it was easy to throw together, but I spent a lot of time nitpicking it and arranging my ornaments so that it would look nice.

Lighten up a little. sad.gif

Edited by mooniechan

lol...I really want to know if my tree is one oft he ones that you people are saying is ugly...That's be really funny.

I guess I'll never know, unless we get our tree's scores at the end.

I give sixes for those, when the tree is nothing special and it has one really cool thing sticking out.

ouch. that makes me feel like im being very harsh. i have yet to give above a six.

i think my average is 2. >.>

think im gunna have to start loosening up xd.png

Im not judging based on the color or colors on the tree. Im judging on how pretty the tree is  i thought that is what we are here to do

I'm voting on how the overall tree and I extend that to the pressie beneath it appeal to me. So yes, how pretty it is works well. For me it's not the colour scheme or face or letters, etc., just how the whole thing grabs me.

What you said made me quite sad...sad.gif Would you vote my tree down just because there's a chain garland piece floating about an inch and a half above my tree? I was VERY careful with placing all of my extra stuff so it wouldn't be seen, but that ONE piece was missed and now everyone can see it. I would hate for you to vote on my tree and give it a low score just because of that.

I agree. If it's a single piece then I just let that go, I've seen dozens and dozens of trees with a random light or popcorn to me that doesn't matter.

I only tend to vote down if there are lots of 'floating' pieces - although I do have to say it's sometimes hard to work out if the floating pieces are meant to be part of the design or not.

Edited by Nikki_Of_The_Night

I try to be fair to the people who have random floaters, when they obviously don't look like part of a person's theme or pattern. I judge their tree on how it looks and ignore the distracting floaters. It may not be entirely their fault, ya know? Like with my one little floater.

Lighten up a little. sad.gif

I am normally fine with a random floated here are there. I do vote down for a lot of floaters around the tree, but if an amazing design had a lot of floaters, it could still get a ten.