Crisis

American Politics

image.gif.76d0a5fc7de8af9443f27329990143c8.gif

So, House Republicans are trying to "offset" aid to Israel with cuts to the IRS.

Let's get this right. The Inflation Reduction Act included increased funding for the IRS because it has not had the resources (due to Trumpian tax cuts for the rich) to pursue audits for blatant tax cheats. Every dollar the IRS spends auditing big-money tax cheats yields about 6 dollars in additional revenue*. So the spending on the IRS more than "offsets" itself! No need for "help" from lawmakers intent on protecting their billionaire donors from paying their fair share!

* source

Ivanka Trump is trying to get out of having to testify in New York by having her lawyers tell the judge that being away from her children during the school week would cause the family "undue hardship."

3 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Ivanka Trump is trying to get out of having to testify in New York by having her lawyers tell the judge that being away from her children during the school week would cause the family "undue hardship."

Oh the poor baby. I don't even think her kids are that young, are they? I have no idea. 

On 11/2/2023 at 9:06 PM, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

court should just hire a babysitter for her. Have the secret service take 'em to a theme park.

34 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

For god's sake, Americans - DO something. This is appalling.

some of us are trying.

some just don't care.

for something scary, google "Project 2025"

it's trump's game plan for round 2.  which i hope never happens.

the wiki summary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025) says, in part:

The plan would perform a swift takeover of the entire executive branch under a maximalist version of the unitary executive theory – a theory proposing the president of the United States has absolute power of the executive branch – upon inauguration.

pretty sure that's against the constitution...

2 hours ago, trystan said:

for something scary, google "Project 2025"

it's trump's game plan for round 2.  which i hope never happens.

the wiki summary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025) says, in part:

pretty sure that's against the constitution...

And use it to get revenge. It's terrifying!

15 minutes ago, Lagie said:

And use it to get revenge. It's terrifying!

exactly.  that's not how politics works in america.  sure, it's messy over here, but revenge is a thing of mob bosses.

oh.....

yeah.

Good new on the Democratic front.

Kentucky Gov. Beshear has been re-elected.

Ohio voted to add Abortion rights to their state constitution as well as voting to legalize marijuana.

And Democrats won big in Virginia keeping control of the Senate and flipping the House, now controlling both.

Mississippi looks to probably be going to the Republican Gov. Reeves.

But this looks to be another slap in the face to the insanity of the Republican party.

I know people are worried about Biden's poll numbers but just remember that a choice between Biden or Trump really isn't a choice.  At least not for those of us that still retain our sanity.

I was not and still am not thrilled by Biden but there is no way in hell i will vote for Trump or anyone the Republicans pick as there is no one who isn't just as insane or offensive that i would ever approve of from their party. 

May Sanity Prevail!!

Edited by AngelsSin

1 hour ago, AngelsSin said:

Ohio voted to add Abortion rights to their state constitution as well as voting to legalize marijuana.

For once I'm proud to be from Ohio

24 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Now if only Georgia could get it's act together... Ha. Fat chance. 

At least your not in Florida like me with idiots who keep DeSatan in office making a mess out of our state.

14 hours ago, DogsRNice_ said:

For once I'm proud to be from Ohio

My mother had a good friend in Ohio. I have co-workers there. Your state is filled with good people, you should always be proud to come from there. ;) 

The extremists don't speak for all of you. :) 

1 hour ago, purpledragonclaw said:

The extremists don't speak for all of you. :)

agreed!

the minority is loud, but there were election results last night (the PA Supreme Court,  for one) where the majority is finding their voice. 

There was a Republican primary debate in Miami, Florida today.  In typical Trump fashion, he held his own rally 12 miles away in Hialeah, a suburb of Miami.  The debaters at the Republican rally  seemed more focused on Donald Trump than any issues that America is currently facing today.  While the Republican debate was very trite and boring,  the Trump rally was riveting and exciting.  

I didn't watch the end of the Republican debate because it was so boring,  but at the end of Trump's rally,  he inspired me with these words: 

"It was the hard working patriots that built this country and it will be the hard working patriots like you to save this country," Trump said as the audience listened intently. "We will make America strong again. We will make America proud again. We will make America safe again. We will make America great again."

Did I just read posts talking about how Trump is trying to actually be reelected..? People are voting for him..? Hasn't he got like...federal charges..?? I'm from Florida. I've been keeping my head in the sand as a quite young person who just needs to make a living, for my mental health, but some of these things are just. How do you ignore things like this.

Edited by xenogender

48 minutes ago, xenogender said:

Did I just read posts talking about how Trump is trying to actually be reelected..? People are voting for him..? Hasn't he got like...federal charges..?? I'm from Florida. I've been keeping my head in the sand as a quite young person who just needs to make a living, for my mental health, but some of these things are just. How do you ignore things like this.

If you are voting age, please keep yourself informed. We need every vote against him that we can get.

For those who think he would Make America Great Again, that is NOT his goal. His goal is to make Trump great. Full stop. He cares about no one and nothing else.

If you want to read something really frightening check out the plan for Trump's second term.  I guess it is what they call "draining the swamp". He is making no secret of this.

9 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

There was a Republican primary debate in Miami, Florida today.  In typical Trump fashion, he held his own rally 12 miles away in Hialeah, a suburb of Miami.  The debaters at the Republican rally  seemed more focused on Donald Trump than any issues that America is currently facing today.  While the Republican debate was very trite and boring,  the Trump rally was riveting and exciting.  

I didn't watch the end of the Republican debate because it was so boring,  but at the end of Trump's rally,  he inspired me with these words: 

"It was the hard working patriots that built this country and it will be the hard working patriots like you to save this country," Trump said as the audience listened intently. "We will make America strong again. We will make America proud again. We will make America safe again. We will make America great again."

Slaves built this country. Colonialism in America isn't happening without it.

7 hours ago, purplehaze said:

If you are voting age, please keep yourself informed. We need every vote against him that we can get.

For those who think he would Make America Great Again, that is NOT his goal. His goal is to make Trump great. Full stop. He cares about no one and nothing else.

If you want to read something really frightening check out the plan for Trump's second term.  I guess it is what they call "draining the swamp". He is making no secret of this.

I'd love to read that article, but unfortunately it's behind a paywall. 

@purpledragonclaw Absolutely correct with the slaves building America. 

18 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

try this link, let me know if it works.

35 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Sorry, it wasn't for me and the Times usually is, so I thought it might be okay. :( Did trystan's link work for you?

Or try this one. Or just google "project 2025".

Edited by purplehaze

@trystan's worked. I'm absolutely disgusted by this man. You know what he wants? Everyone to kiss his ****, and call him "God" at this rate. My god... I feel like dictatorship is on the agenda eventually. Who's to say that he wouldn't make the terms longer or abolish only two terms. Ugh...

9 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I’m of course not voting for this guy - who’s up to win against him this election..? Biden again?