Crisis

American Politics

I'm offended to even be in the state BESIDE Florida already, but this... this is horrific!

It is really appalling that this is the way they want to "educate" students about "Black history".

If you don't like history let's just rewrite it to satisfy ourselves, seems to be their philosophy.

And Kevin McCarthy wants to wipe out the record of Trump's impeachments. Again, if we don't like history, let's change it to suit ourselves.

4 hours ago, purplehaze said:

If you don't like history let's just rewrite it to satisfy ourselves, seems to be their philosophy.

Looks like they studied their Orwell well:

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped."

- George Orwell, "1984"

Edited by Astreya

So Texas took over the Houston ISD for "underperforming" in June and appointed thier own superintendent, Mike Miles.

He's getting reimbursed $25,000 for moving expenses and paid $1,473 per day. Miles has cut 672 jobs in the school district and 1,675 jobs are to be left vacant.

He's created what he calls "New Education System".  It's unclear what that is, but NES schools will be prioritized. Teachers in non-NES scchools will have thier pay in the 2024/25 school year based on student performance and three other ponts of criteria. "Teachers at those designated NES schools were required to reapply for their positions or were offered a different position within the district."

He intends to fire the school librarians at 28 NES schools and plans to repurpose those school libraries into "disciplinary centers" for students.

Both the mayor of Houston and lot of parents are outraged.

Houston ISD superintendent fires back after mayor criticizes new plan to close, repurpose libraries at NES schools

This is only part of the attack the Texas GOP has launched against Houston and Harris County.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

C-Span is preparing to have an announcement by Jack Smith on Trump's indictment in the Florida documents case.

Copied from a Reddit comment:

The indictment is out -- 45 pages long, four felony charges:

Conspiracy to defraud the United States

Conspiracy to obstruct an official proceding

Obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceding

Conspiracy against rights

Conspiracy against rights - working with one or more people in acts intended to intimidate another

Finally, an indictment on Donald Trump's activities surrounding J6!

How anyone can possibly defend Donald Trump at this point is beyond me.

Quoting Robert Hubbell in his Today's Edition newsletter:

The J6 indictment against Trump compiles overwhelming and incontestable evidence of Trump's concerted effort to subvert the will of the people by use of violence. We cannot pretend that anything he says during the campaign has any political meaning beyond keeping Trump out of prison. We must speak up and speak out—and stop apologizing for speaking the truth. Trump is a criminal and an enemy of the Constitution. He has proven so in word and deed.

Edited by purplehaze

I am ashamed to be a Floridian.

DeSatan is trying to push the most disgusting 💩.

That Slaves benefited from Slavery cause they learned skills and wants that to be what we teach kids in school. The man has no shame, and is insane. Tried to get VP Harris to talk with him about it cause he knows it would get coverage, thankfully she saw through that b.s.

Article

It is sad that this is the state of our country.

It would be a national tragedy if DeSantis wins. You can bet that he would make it mandatory country wide for kids to be taught slavery has benefits to those who were enslaved.

Edited by AngelsSin

Now that Trump's been indicted, I hope something actually comes of it, though I'm not optimistic. He's already been indicted a few times, yet is allowed to still run for president despite this. It's like he's convinced he can do no wrong.

Dreading if DeSantis or RFK Jr. wins the 2024 primaries. How anyone who's anti-vax can call themself a democrat, I have no idea.

2 hours ago, requiesticat said:

How anyone who's anti-vax can call themself a democrat, I have no idea.

Can you even imagine what RFK Jr's father would think of him at this point? :o He is a real stain on the Kennedy legacy.

Edited by purplehaze

The Department of Justice has asked a judge for an order of protection after Trump posted on Truth Social: If you come after me, I'm coming after you.

Donald Trump swore in court yesterday he would not attempt to influence or intimidate witnesses, retaliate against anyone, or in any other way attempt to obstruct the administration of justice. 

Any lawyer who is willing to defend him at this point has to be!

Love this cartoon:

20230802edshe-b.jpg

Edited by purplehaze

"Mr. Trump’s lawyers have until 5pm to respond to a government motion for a protective order barring the ex-president from publicly disclosing evidence turned over to his defence team by prosecutors."

It's been said that Trump was offended that the judge, Tanya Chutkan, referred to him as Mr. Trump instead what his sycophants call him: Mr. President.

Trump has now asked the court to reestablish a secure facility at Mar-a-Lago so he can review the documents he stole there at his home aka the crime scene.

The prosecution says it's not the first time he has made the request and the evidence must remain in a sensitive compartmented information facility (SCIF). 

He's not allowed to have his phone on him while reviewing the documents due to his tendency to hold on to documents.

Texas congressmen are using Noah's Ark and that Texas was once part of the ocean floor as an argument against the Department of Justice's claim that thier buoy barrier is making the Rio Grande river unnavigable. 

And this somehow toes into the idea of going to war with Mexico?

And DeSantis is saying he would authorize drone strikes against Mexican drug cartels if he is elected.

It seems the whole Republican party has gone mad.