Crisis

American Politics

4 minutes ago, xenogender said:

I’m of course not voting for this guy - who’s up to win against him this election..? Biden again?

I'm not sure at the moment, as I haven't really started looking into it just yet. 

14 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

I'm not sure at the moment, as I haven't really started looking into it just yet. 

Oh I see; Thank you for engaging me though :3

52 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

My god... I feel like dictatorship is on the agenda eventually. Who's to say that he wouldn't make the terms longer or abolish only two terms. Ugh...

that's exactly what he wants.

he talks about Orban, and Xi, and Putin, and Kim Jong Un and admires them and what they've done for their countries.  and he wants to do that for his next.

abolishing presidential term limits would need a constitutional amendment, since there was a constitutional amendment to set them in the first place.  but enough states would have to be blue so the amendment wouldn't pass.

and yes, as of now, it looks like it'll be Biden v Trump, Round 2.

Figured that would be the case for the next part of his "political career." Ugh. 

New Jersey wins big for Democrats

Not only holding on to the state legislative majorities but expanding them and taking back the Senate from Rep. Ed Durr.

In W. Virginia Joe Manchin announced he won't be running for re-election placing his Senate seat up in the air for Republicans to potentially claim.

Jill Stein announcing she is running as a 3rd party candidate again.

She (imo) stands no chance to win and could have catastrophic results if she manages to draw enough votes from the Democrats.

Lets face it Trump voters are gonna vote Trump no matter what, no matter how insane/criminal/despicable/disgusting he is, so she won't draw votes away from his base, just the Democrats and the few Republicans who refuse to back Trump. It will not be enough for her to win just to do damage to his opponent who will no doubt be Joe Biden and imo a vote for her is the same as staying at home and not voting at all.

Still all in all it looks good for the Democrats. And the Republican party might just be DOA. They have their heads so far up their you know what's to see the writing on the wall. The people are awake now and pissed and they are showing up and holding the line. 

AND IT SHOWS! The results are undeniable. As Democrats and the people show the Republicans that we are not happy with what they are trying to turn our country into.

Sanity Will Prevail.

Have some hope for our future and know we will let them know their hate, anger, bigoty, sexism, antisemitism, xenophobia, etc is not what the people want, we will not accept that that is the future we want for our country.

Sure that sells with some people but most of us want something better than that hope, love, compassion, generosity, inclusivity, and more.

We want something positive not this negative B.S. they are pedalling.

Believe in a positive future for ourselves. Believe we will hold the line against hate and take back our country!!!

11 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

Sanity Will Prevail.

Have some hope for our future and know we will let them know their hate, anger, bigoty, sexism, antisemitism, xenophobia, etc is not what the people want, we will not accept that that is the future we want for our country.

Sure that sells with some people but most of us want something better than that hope, love, compassion, generosity, inclusivity, and more.

We want something positive not this negative B.S. they are pedalling.

Believe in a positive future for ourselves. Believe we will hold the line against hate and take back our country!!!

I agree with you for the most part.

But I don't think that we can afford to be complacent, either. The Republicans will keep trying dirty tricks and we need to be watchful.

24 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I agree with you for the most part.

But I don't think that we can afford to be complacent, either. The Republicans will keep trying dirty tricks and we need to be watchful.

I agree, i am not saying to be complacent, just to have hope.

Republicans are the nasty snake oil salesman, they will sell you poison and call it a cure.

Like DeSatan who has been putting laws in place that favor him and what he wants to achieve.

Like gerrymandering voting lines to tip things in his favor, stacking the state Supreme Court, lower courts, firing officials that the people voted into office, etc, but i don't believe such tactics will work forever. 

I can only hope a Reckoning comes to Florida soon that sees him put out of office.

And someone else will be elected and have to clean up the mess he made and put things to right.

I also believe Republicans will not expand their base at least not by much. They have all the supporters they will likely ever get.

But i believe that all these results in favor of the Democrats are not a fluke.

I believe that it is a Reckoning for the Republican party. The one we have all been hoping and waiting for. Time will tell.

Most of us are aware of the schemes they keep trying to pull and we are not fooled.

Edited by AngelsSin

Watching a youtube video about George Santos and his lies. This is hilarious. How the heck did this guy manage to do anything? He probably lies about the color of the sky. 

Double posting, but it's been awhile...

Just watched an interesting thing about Pat Robertson. He ran for president in the 80s? I had no idea. He thought that trans people were legit? But he didn't like the gay people. What a weird thing. 

Thanks to Pat Robertson we know know that gay people have the power to control the weather. :P

Why it matters that Trump referred to many Americans as ‘vermin’: Hitler and Mussolini dehumanized people in their own countries by calling them “vermin.” Donald Trump is now using identical rhetoric.

Trump eyes radical immigration measures in possible second term:  Under Donald Trump's post-election vision, the government would actually round up immigrants and put them in camps. That’s not hyperbole; that’s the plan.

for those who care about keeping this Great American Experiment alive, please do not vote for trump or anyone who thinks like him.

google Project 2025, there's plenty of factual links there with all kinds of information of what they plan to do.

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Edited by trystan

Liz Chaney condemns RNC chair, Ronna McDaniel, for refusing to answer questions about Trump's promises to "root out the vermin" if re-elected.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/4307011-liz-cheney-rnc-chair-mcdaniel-collaborating-trump-nazi-propaganda/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

“When @GOPChairwoman refuses to condemn the GOP’s leading candidate for using the same Nazi propaganda that mobilized 1930s-40s Germany to evil, it’s fair to assume she’s collaborating,” Cheney

wrote in a post on X, formerly Twitter. “History will judge Ronna McDaniel and every republican who is appeasing this dangerous man.”

Make no mistake, Trump and his supporters and enablers are a direct threat to our democracy. Hitler-speak has no place in a campaign for US President!

5 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Make no mistake, Trump and his supporters and enablers are a direct threat to our democracy. Hitler-speak has no place in a campaign for US President!

this is so very correct.  trump has always... admired the dictator strong-man leader, and now he wants to make himself one.

he should never be allowed near the Oval Office again.

for a fun newsletter to read, find Mary Trump on substack. :D

12 minutes ago, trystan said:

now he wants to make himself one

I think he always has. But during his last Presidency there were people surrounding him who kept him under control to some extent. This time he intends to surround himself with like-minded people who will enable him rather than stand in his way and dismantle all the checks to his power.

8 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

This time he intends to surround himself with like-minded people who will enable him rather than stand in his way and dismantle all the checks to his power.

agreed.

this time it would be for revenge on all those people who told him no the last time.

ugh.

i also read this in my email today:  Trump Drops the Pretense of Democracy. it's Joyce Vance's subtack.  Joyce Vance is a former US Attorney from Alabama, and she appears on MSNBC. lots.

On 11/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, trystan said:

this is so very correct.  trump has always... admired the dictator strong-man leader, and now he wants to make himself one.

Make no mistake: every political option always wants to establish itself in a permanent position of dominance - which is to say, introduce dictatorship. Republicans and Democrats are no different in this sense.

Republican* system of government* is set up in a way that it creates an "organized chaos" whose purpose is to prevent this.

* Note: I am using this in the ancient sense, where "democracy" is basically "rule by popular referendum" while "republic" is a "mixed system of government combining aspects of monarchy, aristocracy and democracy".

17 hours ago, Aldarion said:

Make no mistake: every political option always wants to establish itself in a permanent position of dominance - which is to say, introduce dictatorship. Republicans and Democrats are no different in this sense.

i'm ....not sure today's Democrats are for this.

you say you're using terms in the ancient sense.  how about the modern sense?

On 11/20/2023 at 5:32 AM, trystan said:

i'm ....not sure today's Democrats are for this.

you say you're using terms in the ancient sense.  how about the modern sense?

Ancient, modern, whatever... it doesn't matter.

Politicians always want power, and never want to let it go once they have it. Just because surface-level politics are different today than they were 500 years ago, doesn't mean human nature has changed.

6 minutes ago, Aldarion said:

doesn't mean human nature has changed.

i'll agree with this.

and yes, once people get elected to the US Congress, they don't want to leave.  but most of the ones that come to mind happen to be republican..... XD 

5 hours ago, Aldarion said:

Ancient, modern, whatever... it doesn't matter.

Politicians always want power, and never want to let it go once they have it. Just because surface-level politics are different today than they were 500 years ago, doesn't mean human nature has changed.

You are right that people who gain power OFTEN want to remain in power.

The difference is Most Democrats have no problem conceding the loss of that power.

Most Republicans will lie, scam, and cheat and more recently out right try to violently KEEP their power through any means necessary. 

So it isn't both parties equally wanting to keep power and doing whatever it takes to remain in power, it is more one side than the other. 

* please note i said (most) which means not all of either group.

Not everyone has the same 'human nature'. You can never lump everyone all together for anything.

Part of what makes humanity great is our diversity IN ALL THINGS.

Another thing that makes humanity great is the desire and action to overcome, be better than our baser nature. To rise above it. Some of us actually try to be better than we were.

Edited by AngelsSin

Just found this. It's too late for Thanksgiving now, but may help you all with other encounters.

image.jpeg.9f2a79a4c1b244eb14d94fb8ec7c47f1.jpeg

Click the image to see the guide.

On 11/22/2023 at 7:01 AM, AngelsSin said:

You are right that people who gain power OFTEN want to remain in power.

The difference is Most Democrats have no problem conceding the loss of that power.

Most Republicans will lie, scam, and cheat and more recently out right try to violently KEEP their power through any means necessary. 

So it isn't both parties equally wanting to keep power and doing whatever it takes to remain in power, it is more one side than the other. 

* please note i said (most) which means not all of either group.

Not everyone has the same 'human nature'. You can never lump everyone all together for anything.

Part of what makes humanity great is our diversity IN ALL THINGS.

Another thing that makes humanity great is the desire and action to overcome, be better than our baser nature. To rise above it. Some of us actually try to be better than we were.

Yeah, that is wrong.

Democrats also want to remain in power by any and all means necessary. They also lie, scam and cheat - the only difference is in how they do it. Republicans tend to be somewhat more obvious and direct about it, whereas Democrats will conceal it and coach it in language of "human rights" and similar BS.

You cannot really over come the base nature on anything above individual level. Large-scale attempts to make society better generally result in genocide or tyranny at least (e.g. French Revolution, Communism).

7 hours ago, Aldarion said:

You cannot really over come the base nature on anything above individual level. Large-scale attempts to make society better generally result in genocide or tyranny at least (e.g. French Revolution, Communism).

Yeah, don't agree with this. At all. Can think of many examples where large-scale attempts to make society better generally didn't result in genocide or tyranny lol, in fact I would argue that it's the other way around haha. You calling "language of 'human rights'" being called BS is very funny to me because without that we'd still have very cruel and unusual punishments such as burning people at the stake, etc, no voting rights not just for women or people of color etc but for everyone; adoption of certain medical procedures also count as large-scale attempts, as well as banning child labor, offering public education, adoption of certain hygienic practices such as washing hands, and so on, so forth. Whether certain technological advancements are adopted and used publicly also count as large-scale attempts to make society better, as well as avoidance of environmental disasters. I could go on all day.  Conversely there are genocides/tyrannies that were not caused by large-scale attempts to "make society better", for example the Rwandan genocides. Actually come to think of it please clarify what "make society better" means? Do you mean actual, honest, factually accurate advances in human well-being overall, or do you mean that a certain group of people believed that they were "making society better"? 

But anyways, I really do not see the point people are trying to make here with the "oh but everyone wants to gain absolute power" rhetoric, yeah that is evident, but the point that others are trying to say is that the Trumpist Republicans are unraveling the very foundation of democracy that the U.S is built on in the process of and/or in order to gain absolute power. In order to refute that you should construct your argument I suppose you can argue that the Democrats are also destroying core tenets of democracy to the same degree that Trump is. Not cry about "human nature" and "selfishness" and your arguments boiling down to "well the Democrats do it too but in a more sneaky way" and what have you. Please cite your sources.

I would also gladly argue that humans are actually not as selfish as people seem to think as that would be disadvantageous to their survival, but that's a topic for another thread, it seems. 

Edited by Rosedamai

8 hours ago, Rosedamai said:

humans are actually not as selfish as people seem to think as that would be disadvantageous to their survival,

Fossil fuels. Money to be had, a world to be lost.

I am very worried about your 2024 election, America.