Crisis

American Politics

On 7/9/2022 at 6:54 AM, AngelsSin said:

So apparently this is a thing

Since overturning Roe vs. Wade claiming an unborn fetus is a person one pregnant woman decided to use this as a reason/excuse to use the hov lane and is trying to get out of a ticket saying they can't have it both ways either her fetus is a person or it's not and she technically had two people in the car. 😅

HAH! Good on her, hope she wins that.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:38 AM, StormBirdRising said:

The Supreme Court set no legal precedent beyond that of the abortion issue,  determining that abortion was an issue for the Legislature,  not for the Supreme Court. The issue is now to be settled by Congress, or probably by the State Legislatures,  since Congress still continues to do nothing to resolve the issue.  Seems pretty clear cut to me. 

Shortly after the "leaked" Supreme Court decision,  California announced that its abortion laws would remain the same.  Subsequent to that, California declared itself an  "abortion sanctuary" state,  meaning that women from any state were guaranteed an abortion in California,  including that California taxpayers would pay the bill for said abortion and travel expenses.  So in California, an abortion sanctuary state,  mobs of abortionists, unhappy with a federal decision that they did not like, a decision that the state and residents of California had nothing to do with,  vandalized buildings,  beat an LAPD officer with a nightstick,  blocked traffic,  and terrorized anyone who got in the way of their hate filled temper tantrum.  So this is what the face of Pro-Abortionists look like:  blind rage and hate.  

Yea, but by that logic all the pro-lifers that bombed or attempted to burn abortion clinics are the face of the pro-life movement simply because of their violence. We can both agree that the average citizen on either side does not want violence, no? 

10 hours ago, Locusts said:

Yea, but by that logic all the pro-lifers that bombed or attempted to burn abortion clinics are the face of the pro-life movement simply because of their violence. We can both agree that the average citizen on either side does not want violence, no? 

There is no logic in what is happening here in California now.  There is no comparison to anything I have ever seen, regarding the Dobbs decision (the abortion issue), recently decided by the Supreme Court.  Before the actual decision was released,  based on a "leak" from the Supreme Court,  in early May,  California assured residents that abortion access would remain the same.  Yet,  pro-abortionists,  before the decision was even rendered,  protested,  rioted,  and attacked Los Angeles police officers with eggs,  rocks,  and bottles when the officers called for order.  They went to so far as to beat an officer with his own nightstick.  I have never seen an anti-abortionist exhibit this type of behavior:  senseless violence,  perpetrated on law enforcement officers,  in a state that has full abortion rights. 

After the actual decision,  pro-abortionists still continue to actively engage in violence and disruption towards the police department and the residents of California,  even after California Governor Newsom signed AB 1666 into law,  allowing anyone from any state to access abortions in California.  Even after Governor Newsom announced that the state will provide funds and transportation to those from out of state who are seeking abortions they continue to protest and wreak havoc.  So no, I do not agree that the average pro-abortionist does not want violence.  Based on everything I have witnessed,  I think violence is their method of choice.  

with all due respect, you’re wrong.  you generalize “the average pro-abortionist”, based on the actions of people who like to create mayhem. I consider myself an average “pro-abortionist”— and I would never engage in destructive activities such as the ones happening in a blue state like California.  

how would the average non-violent, pro-forced birther like it if I generalized all of them based on the actions of those who engage in vandalism, arson, and bombings of abortion clinics? the harassment, assault, kidnapping, and deadly attacks— on abortion providers and their families. there’s been outright murder (pro-life much?)  

it’s giving hypocrisy. 

Edited by mishhelle

7 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

I think violence is their method of choice.

It may be the method of choice for the people who are making the headlines, but I think it is a stretch beyond reason to assume that they are the "average" pro-abortionist. For every one of those out there acting violently there are undoubtedly many who support a woman's right to privacy in her reproductive decisions who are not acting like that.

8 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

There is no logic in what is happening here in California now.  There is no comparison to anything I have ever seen, regarding the Dobbs decision (the abortion issue), recently decided by the Supreme Court.  Before the actual decision was released,  based on a "leak" from the Supreme Court,  in early May,  California assured residents that abortion access would remain the same.  Yet,  pro-abortionists,  before the decision was even rendered,  protested,  rioted,  and attacked Los Angeles police officers with eggs,  rocks,  and bottles when the officers called for order.  They went to so far as to beat an officer with his own nightstick.  I have never seen an anti-abortionist exhibit this type of behavior:  senseless violence,  perpetrated on law enforcement officers,  in a state that has full abortion rights. 

After the actual decision,  pro-abortionists still continue to actively engage in violence and disruption towards the police department and the residents of California,  even after California Governor Newsom signed AB 1666 into law,  allowing anyone from any state to access abortions in California.  Even after Governor Newsom announced that the state will provide funds and transportation to those from out of state who are seeking abortions they continue to protest and wreak havoc.  So no, I do not agree that the average pro-abortionist does not want violence.  Based on everything I have witnessed,  I think violence is their method of choice.  

Your point here seems to be that pro choice violence is california is worse than pro life violence in other states because the pro choice violence doesn't make sense. But thats implying that ANY of this violence makes sense. The burning and bombings of planned parenthoods are actively detrimental to women's health in general and aren't somehow 'better' than whats happening in cali. Unless you support said violence, which I'm hoping you don't.

Violence is not somehow good when it makes sense, the justification for violence does not make the violence better or worse. It's still violence either way.

Edited by Locusts

9 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

And what about the violence of anti-abortionists outside clinics, which has been going on for years ?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/violence-abortion-clinics-rose-2021-report/story?id=85556448

The difference is that the police make no effort to break up these (already violent) demonstrations up - the violence you mentioned came as a result of police intervention. Protest demonstrations are a right.

And here's a nice scary thing for you - which you won't believe, of course.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-link-between-the-capitol-riot-and-anti-abortion-extremism

Purplehaze is right, too; let us never forget that the media are basically controlled by right-wingers like Murdoch, who want anyone with any degree of humanity demonised. And while the methods of A FEW pro-choice people are questionable, most of us who believe in choice don't even demonstrate as a rule.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:29 AM, mishhelle said:

with all due respect, you’re wrong.  you generalize “the average pro-abortionist”, based on the actions of people who like to create mayhem. I consider myself an average “pro-abortionist”— and I would never engage in destructive activities such as the ones happening in a blue state like California.  

You're right.  It was an overgeneralization on my part.   I was shocked and actually outraged that this type of behavior is happening here,  at this point in time, when we have opened up our resources to the rest of the country.  I have heard so many residents saying things like  "maybe we should just ban abortions like the states that people aren't protesting in" and things like "this is my tax dollars at work?". 

I am still outraged,  but you are right.  Most average people do not engage in this type of destructive activities, no matter what their beliefs are.  

This will be on the ballot for state wide voter approval at the next election.  "This measure would amend the California Constitution to prohibit the state from denying or interfering with an individual’s reproductive freedom in their most intimate decisions, which includes their fundamental right to choose to have an abortion and their fundamental right to choose or refuse contraceptives.''   It needs voter approval. 

Edited by StormBirdRising

2 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

I was shocked and actually outraged that this type of behavior is happening here

And I agree that this sort of behavior is outrageous anywhere, and especially in a place that is bending over backward to accommodate women's needs.

I have been appalled myself by some of the signs and the behaviors that I have seen in the pro choice rallies, but it is thankfully not mostly the norm.

I really wish that we could all just learn to listen to each other and try to understand, instead of trying to scream louder so our voices drown each other out.

Lost their freaking minds

Her Ex-Husband Is Suing A Clinic Over The Abortion She Had Four Years Ago

“It’s a lawsuit that appears to be a trial balloon to see how far the attorney and the plaintiff can push the limits of the law, the limits of reason, the limits of science and medicine,” Tamarkin said.

A judge allowed the woman’s ex-husband to establish an estate for the embryo. The ex-husband filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the clinic and its doctors in 2020, alleging that physicians failed to obtain proper informed consent from the woman as required by Arizona law.

49 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Lost their freaking minds

Her Ex-Husband Is Suing A Clinic Over The Abortion She Had Four Years Ago

“It’s a lawsuit that appears to be a trial balloon to see how far the attorney and the plaintiff can push the limits of the law, the limits of reason, the limits of science and medicine,” Tamarkin said.

A judge allowed the woman’s ex-husband to establish an estate for the embryo. The ex-husband filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the clinic and its doctors in 2020, alleging that physicians failed to obtain proper informed consent from the woman as required by Arizona law.

This... is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Like... Wow. 

Like Roto-Rooter, we're plunging the depths of really bad human decisions.

3 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Like Roto-Rooter, we're plunging the depths of really bad human decisions.

Yep, back to the 1800 hundreds we go. I wish I could move out of here. This place is awful and I do not see it ever improving. To much misinformation, to many lies being believed, it's one side or another and people are way to caught up in what everyone else is doing to mind their own business.

No surprise, I guess, but the crazies seem to have won in the Republican primary races in Maryland. :( I had hoped we were better than that.

Maryland as a whole is a pretty heavily blue state, in spite of having a Republican governor for the last 8 years, so hopefully they will not be able to carry the November election. 🤞🙏

Edited by purplehaze

Pro-Confederacy, Anti-Equality, Christian Nationalist Extremist Michael Peroutka Wins GOP Primary for Maryland Attorney General

https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/pro-confederacy-anti-equality-christian-nationalist-extremist-michael-peroutka-wins-gop-primary-for-maryland-attorney-general/

"Peroutka founded the Institute on the Constitution, a Christian Reconstructionist organization that favors religious tests for public office and teaches that the government’s role is to enforce God’s law, and that the government has no legitimate authority to “house, feed, clothe, educate, or give health care to…ANYBODY!”

You know all the things Jesus emphasizes that Christians do...

Scary, scary times we are living in, when such people can be given legitimacy! I was sure that both he and Dan Cox were way too far out there to ever win, but I guess I underestimated the depths to which the Republican party has sunk. All I can say is that the Democrats had better fight with all they have in the general election in November or this state (and the nation as a whole) is toast!

7 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

You know all the things Jesus emphasizes that Christians do...

Urgh.

As I saw in someone's post the other day, Jesus was born of woman and God; man had nothing to do with it.

Your politics grow more scary with each passing day, I'm sad to say. :(

It is disturbing but remember these are just primary races, in other word, only Republicans are voting on those running for the Republican Primary races.  And lets face it Republicans have always been a bit nutty even if they have finally and completely lost their minds. Just because the worst of the worst won those races doesn't mean they will win the general elections. Lets all hope that sanity prevails in the end and democrats steal the show.

On other news it seems Democrats have woken up a bit and at least in the House passed a bill to codify marriage equality. Almost 50 Republicans supported the bill. So let's hope it passes in the Senate too. Too bad they didn't do all this before and had protected Roe vs Wade as well as marriage equality.

/2022/07/19/house-repeal-defense-of-marriage-act

I received my notification in the mail for my mail in ballots for the primary and general elections in my state. I have to admit this will not be the first time I have investigated who is on the ballots and who I will be voting for but this will be the first time I do so as deeply as I plan to this time.

One of the races will be for Gov. the main options for me are either Nikki Fried or Charlie Crist.  Fried I know very little about besides the fact I see her name on the gas pumps.

Christ while he was a Republican, and then Independent, and now Democrat, despite him once being a Rebuplican, he was weirdly one of the very few Republicans I had respect for and didn't hate him. Which strangely does have me leaning towards voting for him. Unless my investigating Fried turns up anything to change my mind. I feel Christ is at least honest and I could put my trust in him. We will see how I feel closer to the election though.

Edited by AngelsSin

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

Your politics grow more scary with each passing day, I'm sad to say. :(

It's not just here. It's in Hungary, Germany, Canada, El Salvador...

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

It's not just here. It's in Hungary, Germany, Canada, El Salvador...

In Germany? Care to elaborate?

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

In Germany? Care to elaborate?

Well a for-instance:

https://www.trtworld.com/opinion/why-germany-needs-to-get-a-grip-on-the-far-right-57829? 

Also:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/20/chat-group-leak-reveals-far-right-fantasies-of-germany-afd

There isn't the in-power base - yet - but they are there and nasty. Don't get me wrong - I love Germany; it's one of my favourite countries in Europe. But even the last time I was there - three years ago now - there were some nasty ultra-right people on the streets shouting and insulting people, especially the "visibly gay". It's there - help to fight it whenever there's a vote to be had ! Bering in the UK there's not a lot I can do - I need to vote OUR nasty politicians out...

@Fuzzbucket

Ah, thank you for the links. While every single far-right person is one too much, the last three elections 2022 in the Länder (German States) NRW, Saarland and Schleswig-Holstein actually showed the support for the AfD going down, and in Schleswig-Holstein they even flew completely out of the parliament:

NRW Landtagswahl 2022: https://www.wahlrecht.de/news/2022/landtagswahl-nordrhein-westfalen-2022.html#sitzverteilung

Saarland Landtagswahl 2022: https://www.wahlrecht.de/news/2022/landtagswahl-saarland-2022.html#absolut

Schleswig-Holstein Landtagswahl 2022: https://www.wahlrecht.de/news/2022/landtagswahl-schleswig-holstein-2022.html#sitzverteilung

Oh I agree - but we need to be vigilant everywhere. They are determined - worldwide. And organised. Oddly I think Putin has helped people to see that such people are a Bad Idea - he is acting just as they would, given the chance.

Watching Reddit try to get rid of all the posts about the FBI raiding Mar-a-Lago by labeling them Off-Topic.

“They even broke into my safe!” he wrote. “What is the difference between this and Watergate, where operatives broke into the Democrat National Committee? Here, in reverse, Democrats broke into the home of the 45th President of the United States.”