Crisis

American Politics

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's kind of sad. Poor old man. Reminds me of my FiL after he lost his marbles.

Yes, but I'll bet your FiL didn't influence thousands of people who followed his every word.

It is really scary that he keeps pounding this "stolen election" theme and has a lot of people convinced. And now he is proposing that we throw over the whole basis of our government based on his lies.

And the Republican powers-that-be will still not denounce this man with any force.

Just "Oh, that's just Donald being Donald. We all know he says a lot of stuff he doesn't mean."

Really? Don't words have consequences? What is wrong here?

So much enthusiasm from the crowd.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

Trump is just trying to stay in the headlines. Narcissist, that he is. If the S.C. ruled in his favor on that people would revolt and it could very well lead to civil war. After all why would anyone obey any U.S. laws at all if something so basic was thrown out?

It is my states Gov. DeSantis everyone needs to worry about. He is on a power trip and thinks he is gonna be the next Dictator-in-chief. My mom and her fiance both have been Trump supporters but it worried me to hear them say Trump shouldn't have said the things he did about DeSantis.

I think people will jump ship from Trump to DeSantis. He not such a wild card as Trump is but he is just as bad in terms of policies he would force through. Realistically he will be the Republican nominee for president in 2024 barring any unforseen calamity. And he has a better chance at winning as well. It would be a disaster for the forward progression of our country if he won, but as we saw with Trump there are more crazies in our country than we wanted to believe. In hindsight, not that i ever disagreed with her, Hillary Clinton's "Deplorable's" comment makes so much more sense. It was such convoluted thinking from that group of deplorables that led to Jan.6.

And those very same people will put their faith in someone Trump-like but who comes off more stable. Who will force through some policies/laws that will be hard for the rest of us to swallow if he is elected.

May we all be protected from such misfortune!

46 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

The results are in. Warnock won the Georgia Senate seat. 

Yep. Seems that way. 

46 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

The results are in. Warnock won the Georgia Senate seat. 

Yes. And he gave a very nice, uplifting, classy victory speech!

On 12/6/2022 at 1:14 AM, AngelsSin said:

It is my states Gov. DeSantis everyone needs to worry about.

I do not disagree with that, but I still think Trump is dangerous.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:14 AM, AngelsSin said:

May we all be protected from such misfortune!

Amen to that! DeSantis may be even more dangerous than Trump, because he seems more "normal".

👆 You got that right. Our esteemed Representatives hard at work -- infighting! :angry:

Geez - Northern Ireland magnified to cover the whole of the US. Like WOW. And I thought the DUP were childish.

5 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I get Dan Rather's newsletter, Steady.

This was his message for today. So sadly true! :(

https://open.substack.com/pub/steady/p/awakening-to-tragedy?r=1kn68a&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

:(

Someone at one of the LEGO groups posted a photo of what they'd found in a bulk LEGO purchase. One commenter said "well, you're clearly American', another didn't know what she was looking at as she lives in Norway and had never seen a bullet. Sad world where bullets (this one unfired) end up mixed in with children's toys.

7 hours ago, purplehaze said:

This was his message for today. So sadly true! :(

there's a comment over there that unfortunately rings true as well: ""If I were an elected official of a different country I would issue travel advisories against visiting the U.S. based upon the proliferation of hate and mass murder."

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Sad world where bullets (this one unfired) end up mixed in with children's toys.

oof.

Over the last few years, I have learned more about American politics than I ever wanted to know. For example, did you know that Congress actually votes on whether or not to vote for an issue? I tuned in to the impeachment of former President Trump and saw everyone voting. It was close but it passed. Then someone says, "The issue of whether or not to vote on CS-90 (or whatever it was) has passed. We will recess and begin deliberation for the upcoming vote." I was like "Are you serious?" They spent an hour and a half voting on whether or not to vote! No wonder nothing gets done!

(SLIGHT RANT) And if one more person calls another "woke", I swear, I will lose it. It is not "woke" to carefully consider an issue. It is not "woke" to be empathetic toward others. It is not "woke" to think critically about important things. It is not "woke" to acknowledge mistakes we might have made in the past.  It is not "woke" to work out your differences. It is not "woke" to question things. And it is not "woke" to discuss things rationally.  (END SLIGHT RANT)

9 hours ago, screwygirl said:

(SLIGHT RANT) And if one more person calls another "woke", I swear, I will lose it. It is not "woke" to carefully consider an issue. It is not "woke" to be empathetic toward others. It is not "woke" to think critically about important things. It is not "woke" to acknowledge mistakes we might have made in the past.  It is not "woke" to work out your differences. It is not "woke" to question things. And it is not "woke" to discuss things rationally.  (END SLIGHT RANT)

Rant away. I couldn't agree more. 

13 hours ago, screwygirl said:

well said, and i agree.

those in power with Rs after their name want their constituents to be ignorant and clueless.  they don't want critical thinking or deep introspection.  it's how those Rs stay in power.

DeSantis got handed an gift plaque in Iowa.

bEHY9RW-2kBUV39eldOO-bTDRq8rh7zIS_FsGGsE46s.jpg

Can you read the word?

OH yes - and he looks so PLEASED ! Is this because he can't read or because he's proud to be one ?