Qwackie

Cats

I really wanted to share some pictures of my horses, but Tinypic seems to be having trouble uploading them. dry.gif I'll try again later.

I've owned over the years:

three goldfish that lived to the ripe old age of 6 years!

A pair of hermit crabs

A leopard gecko named Happy, she lived to be 11 1/2, she died just last year.

user posted image

We said we weren't getting anymore pets...

Well, its been over a year... and three cats later:

user posted image

The big tuxedo cat is my sister's, her name is phoebe and she is 2 and the other two are Seamus and Giles, both 7 months and bigger than her!

I've just heard about 'fading syndrome' and all that with kittens having diff blood types to their moters, apparently this is a problem with british shorthairs, I'm planning to breed mine and am now extremely worried...- HELP!?

I've just heard about 'fading syndrome' and all that with kittens having diff blood types to their moters, apparently this is a problem with british shorthairs, I'm planning to breed mine and am now extremely worried...- HELP!?

Neither I, or my mum, have ever believed in 'fading kitten' syndrome. At least not in hand-rear kittens. As a general rule people lose hand-rare kittens because, for all their best intentions, they don't know how to be 'mother' to them, they've managed to 'flood the kitten out' when hand-feeding, or they're just not attuned enough to spot the signs early. We have *never* lost a hand-rear kitten to fading kitten syndrome, and we've hand-reared a lot of the years.

That said - unless you are intending to become a registered pedigree breeder I would beg you not to breed your cat. I would also say that unless the breeder you bought the cat from sold her to you knowing you wished her to be a breeding queen you absolutely should *not* breed from her. Pedigree cats are bred to certain breed standards, and if she was not sold to you as a breeding cat (here in the UK that means placed on the 'active' register) then she is not of a good enough 'quality' to continue those lines. If she's not been sold to you as a breeding girl then you also won't be able to take her to a decent stud.

Anyone, regardless of wether they own a pedigree or a mog, should not be breeding simply because they want cute kittens, or to "Let her have just one litter.". There are masses of cats being destroyed every year because of irresponsible breeding. People that want a pedigree cat will go to a pedigree breeder for one, people that want a mog should go to a rescue center. All breeding (if you are not planning on being a registered breeder) does in contribute to the over-population problem.

If I sound anti then it's because I am. I get very annoyed with irresponsible breeding. I am *not* anti people actually caring enough about a breed to want to become a breeder (as noted before - people that want pedigree cats aren't going to be going to rescue centers for them), and I'm more than happy to offer help and advice if that's the case. But if you are *not* wanting to do that, then I'm just going to flat out say it's a bad idea and you should have her spayed.

I just moved in with my SO and thus acquired two more cats.

user posted image

This is Hennessey, who appears to be part corgi and is enormous.

user posted image

This is Zephyr, looking very smug.

I'm mostly posting to share this with you guys: our three cats have been getting kind of obnoxious and kept us up all night last night. This morning my girlfriend looked at my DC dragons and said, "I like looking at your dragons. They're our children. Our well-behaved children."

The big tuxedo cat is my sister's, her name is phoebe and she is 2 and the other two are Seamus and Giles, both 7 months and bigger than her!

Oh my gosh, I used to have a grey and white cat named Phoebe. She was very special to me and my family, and died recently at the age of 17. Seeing your sister's cat with that name just touched my heart. *cries a few tears*

I have three kitties myself, all rescues

user posted image

Sorry for the size but this is Seamus and Giles, eight month or brothers. One is tiny the other is huge, almost six pounds more. Giles is the biggest at ten pounds. We adopted them from the Feral Cat rescue.

Our third cat is phoebe. My sister adopted her from a friend who took care of her mother, who was a stray.

user posted image

She is two years old and is sassy!

I would love to have a cat, but I don't think I'm home enough and I don't think my apartment is big enough for two cats and I also have a roof-deck that is pretty much impossible to make cat proof and no real garden...

I have thought about "rescuing" a cat with FAIDS from a shelter since they can't go outside and not interact with healthy cats, but there is still the thing about it possibly being lonely.

If I did it, I would also have to find out much more about that disease and how often I would have to expect vet bills. Does anyone have any experience?

What I like about cats, is that their reactions are refreshingly immediate.

Ive had many cats in life. I love kitties.

Both big and small. I always wanted to hug a wild cat before I died, and I got to do just that in the summer. They are strong as hell haha.

But there is a wildlife park in South Africa where you can go in and cuddle with all sorts of lions and tigers.

Now that is on my to do list before I die. I doubt ill be able to complete it, but that would be my wish.

I would love to have a cat, but I don't think I'm home enough and I don't think my apartment is big enough for two cats and I also have a roof-deck that is pretty much impossible to make cat proof and no real garden...

I have thought about "rescuing" a cat with FAIDS from a shelter since they can't go outside and not interact with healthy cats, but there is still the thing about it possibly being lonely.

If I did it, I would also have to find out much more about that disease and how often I would have to expect vet bills. Does anyone have any experience?

Of course cats don't have to go outdoors, as all of our cats have lived happy long lives indoors wink.gif Not to mention that there are many cats who do best by themselves, if you adopt from a shelter the shelter staff will be abe to advise on that.

Edited by Snowytoshi

I have two cats, one is still a kitten. The oldest one is Diesel, he's a siamese (but not like Aquenee's). He is very fluffy and big and adorable <3 He hates my sister because she loves him too much, and she always chases him around and squeezes him when she catches him. My dad says Siamese Cats are usually pretty loud, but Diesel is very quiet, and he loves me and I love him smile.gif Unlike Lisa.

Lisa is still a kitten, and she hates EVERYONE. She's black and white and always meowing. She and Diesel fight a lot. She can kind of tolerate my sister but she HATES me. sad.gif

Of course cats don't have to go outdoors, as all of our cats have lived happy long lives indoors wink.gif Not to mention that there are many cats who do best by themselves, if you adopt from a shelter the shelter staff will be abe to advise on that.

I know you're right about both of those, but all the cats in my life have been outdoors and not single-cats happy.gif it just feels weird for me otherwise.

They're things I could get used to though and I do believe a single-cat life in my apartment is still a better cat life than in a crowded, loud shelter. But unfortunately when I said I wasn't home enough, that meant that I often have to leave for two or three days. The only choice there would be to ask a neighbor to feed the cat, play with it, clean the litter tray and so on, every two or three weeks.

But I swear, one day I will have cats again!

This is a RARE true medical condition but it is called neonatal isoerythrolysis that you are thinking of. I have only seen it once in the last 5 years. I work in an emergency veterinary medical center as a CVT. We were taught about this in Tech school. This is also "fading kitten syndrome" that is used to mean something else. However people sometimes use that to mean this rare blood linked issue.

Hope this helps!

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1639

Edited to fix my horrible typing skills. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pallidsilversky

I lived in a 400 sq foot apartment with not one, but three cats very happily. My cats are active too, they run and jump and play. The key is to provide them with lots of vertical space. I invested in a good cat tower (www.armakat.com - amazing deals, free shipping!).

In general cats are much more independent than dogs. Mine don't mind having their own time to themselves. This can very from individual to individual, but is true of cats as a whole.

By FAIDS do you mean feline aids? as in FIV or Feline Immunodeficiency Virus?

if so this is great information on FIV: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

I've meet many FIV cats. However it is hard to tell how long they will last or how frequently they are going to need vet visits. I would at least plan to do twice yearly "wellness exams" with a general practice vet. Prices for just exams will vary by vet.

Also, not all cats like the company of other cats. My sister has tried three times to introduce a "friend" to her only cat, and he has made it quite clear that he is happier solo.

Hope this helps you!

Everyone's kitties are so cute! My cat passed away 2 years ago, and I miss her so much!

user posted image

What a beautiful girl! I have a huge soft spot for ginger kitties, they are my favorites! wub.gif

I'm so sorry you lost her. They do become family members.

Heh, posting spree. Sorry, but I AM known as the Crazy cat lady for a reason. I had to post my cutie.

This is Oscar. He was brought in to my emergency clinic as a four week old stray with a very bad bite wound that had become infected, and then attracted flys as it was the height of summer. We thought he had died. But he hadn't and we we able to treat and clean his wounds. Except the humane society had no room for him! Well, I couldn't let him be euth'd. So I "fostered" him. He's doing great now, and is the happiest most cuddly cat ever!

Him at four weeks:

user posted image

user posted image

Him now:

user posted image

I dislike cats because I am allergic to them. And they always seem to know that I am and make sure to rub themselves all over me blink.gif

i have one kitteh. his name is Woody. used to work at a vet clinic and i rescued him from there. he was born to a feral cat and was found in a lumber yard stuck between 2 pieces of ply-wood. he was young enough that he had to be bottle fed still. until 6 months of age, he loved in a little metal kennel, now he rules the entire house xd.png

well unless he's in trouble, in which he goes into timeout in his room, with the door closed. infact thats where he is now, and we're having a convo.

Woody: Mawoo

Woody: meow!

Me: vaas?

Woody: mahroOoOoOo

Me: vaas?!

Woody: MahroOoOoOoo

Me: vaas?

Woody: *bats at the door to make a knocking noise*

and then the two dogs we have chime in on the convo. xd.png

people who say you can't teach cats tricks, they haven't met mine. he plays fetch (loves to infact, will bug the crap out of you to play fetch, especially while you're on the toilet), and when i have a treat or he wants something, he can stand, sit and speak on command. the german word "Vaas" is the command word for speak in our house xd.png

he also knows how to give hugs, which is what he does as a greeting to me every day once i get home and put my bag down.

anyways, heres some pics of me and my kid

user posted image

user posted image

did i mention he's the resident bookmark theif

user posted image

and that the dogs are his play things

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

heres some of the boys as well. Chuck is the puggle (brown one) and CJ is the terrier mix (black one)

wearing one of the shirts i made them

user posted image

and them playing

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

but more of the kid happy.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

aaaannnnddd

not amused wif his hooman

user posted image

Edited by Red2111

people who say you can't teach cats tricks, they haven't met mine. he plays fetch (loves to infact, will bug the crap out of you to play fetch, especially while you're on the toilet), and when i have a treat or he wants something, he can stand, sit and speak on command. the german word "Vaas" is the command word for speak in our house xd.png

OMG, another fetching kitty? Felix is a HUGE talker and LOVES to fetch, if you tell him to go get "greenie" he will bolt to get it and will fetch for hours. He also knows how to sit, "speak" and "play dead".

user posted image

is my fetcher.

I Love CATS!!! i have a cat. it doesn't like people very much but when you get to know it and the other way around she is just the best and sweetest cat in the world!~

Here's a few pictures of my gray fox, Fizzgig. I lost her when she was just 14 weeks old to what i think was canine distemper. I'm getting another gray this Spring, but nothing can replace my Fizz.

First day. She was terrified, and would growl at anyone that was near her crate. Kind of where her name came from actually, she sounded like Fizzgig from Dark Crystal.

Two weeks later. It only took two or three days for her to completely warm up to me, after she did she was just a little cuddle bug!

Two weeks before she passed. Hanging out in my 'gaming chair.' She liked to wedge herself between my back and the chair, or claim it for herself if I wasn't in it.

Edited by Draco Knight

Here's a few pictures of my gray fox, Fizzgig. I lost her when she was just 14 weeks old to what i think was canine distemper. I'm getting another gray this Spring, but nothing can replace my Fizz.

First day. She was terrified, and would growl at anyone that was near her crate. Kind of where her name came from actually, she sounded like Fizzgig from Dark Crystal.

Two weeks later. It only took two or three days for her to completely warm up to me, after she did she was just a little cuddle bug!

Two weeks before she passed. Hanging out in my 'gaming chair.' She liked to wedge herself between my back and the chair, or claim it for herself if I wasn't in it.

That's a really unique pet! What kind of temperament did your fox have? What was it like living with one, are they pretty destructive? Where do you even get one?

That's a really unique pet! What kind of temperament did your fox have? What was it like living with one, are they pretty destructive? Where do you even get one?

She was like a stubborn puppy on speed. For a fox, she was super affectionate, though.

Living with a fox means a lot of sacrifice and compromise. The fox comes first, at least for the first year you have it, and especially the first six months. I got Fizz when she was five weeks old, and didn't sleep a full night until she was completely weaned. The entire time I had her, I didn't sleep past 8am, ever. She learned very quickly to bite my legs to get me up. Fox are wicked smart, and will learn how to get what they want. On the other side, she was super fun to play with and she was always up for playing. Loved belly rubs. Nothing could beat coming home to a super excited fox. They are A LOT of work, but to me, totally worth it.

Fizz wasn't too destructive, but yes, fox are in general very destructive pets. Reds and arctics mark with urine, and will happily dig up your flooring. I chose grays because they mark by rubbing(no smell humans can detect) and have no instinct to dig, since they are climbers. Usually, larger species like those are eventually moved to an outdoor enclosure once old enough(after maturity). most states foxes are legal in require one anyway to get your permit. Fennecs are the only ones that don't benefit from being outdoors, due to their small size.

I got Fizz from a breeder in Ohio, and she was shipped down to me in Florida. There are quite a few breeders in Ohio and Indiana, actually.

Once I move away from home, I'd like to get a red.

Sorry, really wordy! I just love to talk about foxes! laugh.gif

Edited by Draco Knight