user posted image

This is my cat, Cookie. This is a fairly old picture, but she still looks just like that xd.png I've had her for over half my life <3

As for future pets, my dream is to someday have a cockatoo (either Sulphur-crested or Umbrella). I'll have to wait until I get my first house before I can even consider buying one though. Not good apartment birds heh. I stay home like 80% of every day, even counting school and work, so there wouldn't be any lack of attention for my future 'too.

...Now if only I could get my cat to yearn attention like 'toos do tongue.gif

I have three cats. Two are tabby sisters, one of them is brown and the other is white-silver. The other cat is a black moggie. Not sure about the exact breed.

Edited by Keekeecat

On our farm we have a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd cross named Fynn; a donkey; cows; pigs; chickens; stray cats; and sheep.

user posted image

Everyone likes to mingle. :b

user posted image

Fynn with a bottle fed calf.

user posted image

Newborn lamb twins, Marie and Antoinette.

I just got a Betta fish since all I'm allowed is a fish, first fish and I'm slightly worried that he might have fin rot

user posted image

named him Kairan.

OMG THATS SO FLIPPING CUTE :3 <3

I want a Jerboa;

http://www.youtuberepeat.com/watch?v=4Bvypczipng

GOTTA GET ME A PAIR OF THOSE LIL ADHD MICE lD

Yeah, jerboas are awesome. The main problem is that so many are wild caught because lots of people see them as a money making machine, but they're almost impossible to breed in captivity. They're also nearly impossible to feed and house. I'd love to get them but I don't want to support the idiots which are asking £150 (which would probably be about $250) for animals which are clearly in an awful condition. I mean... seriously, Mr I'm-selling-animals-which-don't-have-their-basic-needs-met, at least do yourself a favour and spell 'jerboa' correctly. ('jaboas' anyone?)

I have several pets at home (heck I think I've posted here before). However, I need a bit of advice from some older pet owners. My dog, who has been with my family since I was in 4th grade and he was 4 1/2 has been declining since last summer. My parents are sure he is on his last days, he can't get outside to use the bathroom, needs my dad to sleep in the same room as him when he sleeps (My dad is seen as the alpha, and when I'm not there my dog tries to stay near him as he is completely submissive) and my parents are sure he is blind in one eye.

I told them when he took a turn for the worse to take him to the vet and get an assement on his quality of life. IF the vet did not deem it cruel then I wanted to wait until I was home for break and for me to be the one with him when he was put down. My mom said they'd get the assement done.

Now I've found out they haven't done that and are going to wait until after I was back at school after break to put him down. While I understand them wanting me to say good bye to my dog (I want to say good bye as well) I feel they are putting their thoughts above what is best for the dog.

This of course has an added issue that my mom and I have argued on in the past. I have had two animals in my care since I was in high school that while I was looking after them hit the point of no return of a painful slow death. When I brought up to my mom I wanted to have them put down and was argued against.

The first was a foster rabbit that we had taken since we bred rabbits and my dad thought we could find him a home. The poor buck got cancer and slowly lost weight. On Father's day (he had become my dads buddy) he was found on his side straining to breath. After a day of this I told my mom and dad he should be put down. My dad allowed me to make the call as I was primary cartaker of the rabbit. My mom said no he may bounce back.

When it became clear to her he wouldn't it would have been to cruel to move him as it hurt him to be touched (he screamed when I stroked him trying to get him to eat.)

The second animal was a chicken who got hit with paralysis from Mareks Disease. After seeing that he was just a living skeleton and he could barely drink or eat the butter/fruit/food mixture we made at recomendation of the key leader, I told my mom we needed to put him down and have him tested. She said if there was no improvment in two days she would take him to be put down. He died the next day.

My question is how can I get my parents to listen to me when it comes to these decesions about my pets or animals I breed (lilac rabbit breeder, younger sister and I run the operation)? I can not pay for the vets bills myself as I am a college student, and I'm worried that when the time comes for my cat that he will suffer like my dog might be suffering now. Each time after the animal died when it should have been put down I've been told they would listen to me but they have not.

Briar, you're going to have to put your foot down on this. If your parents won't do it, you may have to take time off from school to do it yourself. If the critter is suffering, that should be the end of the discussion, and I'll be honest, it doesn't sound like your pooch is gonna be frolicking in any fields any time soon. It may be time to send him to the misty veil with the other pets to wait for his alpha to come after him.

And if it is, and if your parents don't listen to you...

Go around them.

I understand the money issues, and I don't really know what to suggest there. Maybe you can find an alternative that doesn't involve the vet, or involves a cheaper vet, but I can't think of one off-hand.

On a happier note... I have two dogs. Both are soul-returnees from previous pets. ^-^

One's Adara, a black border collie / German shepherd mix. She's black with gold brindle on her paws and a little creamy-white star on her chest, like a shield or calling card. Longhaired. (Her previous incarnation was a Karelian Bear Dog named Skeeter.)

The other's name is Jude. He's a brown Box-jaw Shar Pei / Chow mix with dark brindling along his back. He's kinda bow-legged, but since he's my first male big dog who's legs I could see from the back, and my first shar pei or chow, I don't know if it's natural. Shorthaired, very course coat. Absolute love. (Jude's previous incarnation was a purebred Bombay cat who was stolen from me before his time. Initially, Thunder (Jude's past life) wasn't actually my cat. His owner couldn't care for him, so some of his work friends took him and his sister in. When we got them, they were undernourished, infested, and had rings of fur missing from their necks. Thunder was taken by organ failure a few months after we got hold of him, and it broke my heart. But I can think about him without tearing up as hard, now that Jude's here.)

Both seem very happy (although to hear them tell it, we don't feed them enough. (Adara likes to goldfish all over anything that's edible, and several things that aren't (and are electronic) if it's where she can reach it.))

Unfortunately, we have a flea problem we're fighting at the moment. When we took Jude in (initially as a temporary foster: We fell in love with him before his first hour here was up. (We're not fostering any more dogs. our appartment's not big enough. xd.png)) we didn't realize that the people who found him hadn't dipped him, and we didn't worry about it. Come to find out a week later Adara and the pug I had at the time were completely infested. (My pug has since left for the Summerlands to join our other previous pets.)

Edited by Seviper

Just a note for people with rescue cats - you can't really call a cat a 'mix' the way you would with a dog unless you *know* that one of the parents was a pedigree. Unlike with dog breeds the difference between breeds of cat is quite small. It's only a generation or two down from planned, pedigree breeding before there's no trace of 'pedigree' cat breed that's recogniseable. As a general rule non-pedigree cats are known as DSH (Domestic Shorthair) or DLH (Domestic Longhair). In The UK they're all generally referred to as 'moggies'.

So, yeah, sorry if I'm bursting a few bubbles here, but that's how it is. If you don't know your cats parents it's not an anything mix, it's just a moggy.

Not that there's anything wrong with being 'just a moggy'. It may not be as fancy, but that doesn't mean they're any less of a lovely animal. I have a black moggy of my own, and he's adoreable.

Edit to add:

@ Briar - Okay, I know this is probably going to come off as harsh, but there's really no other way of putting it - If you (or anyone else) cannot afford an animal's vetinary care then you really shouldn't be owning an animal. If you are living with parents that *won't* (or, again, can't) pay to provide proper vetinary care then, again, you shouldn't be owning that animal. I don't *want* to be coming off as harsh here but if you (generic you here) really care what is best for the animal then sometimes that means aknowledging that having an animal at all isn't providing what's best for it.

Edited by TikindiDragon

Just a note for people with rescue cats - you can't really call a cat a 'mix' the way you would with a dog unless you *know* that one of the parents was a pedigree. Unlike with dog breeds the difference between breeds of cat is quite small. It's only a generation or two down from planned, pedigree breeding before there's no trace of 'pedigree' cat breed that's recogniseable. As a general rule non-pedigree cats are known as DSH (Domestic Shorthair) or DLH (Domestic Longhair). In The UK they're all generally referred to as 'moggies'.

So, yeah, sorry if I'm bursting a few bubbles here, but that's how it is. If you don't know your cats parents it's not an anything mix, it's just a moggy.

Not that there's anything wrong with being 'just a moggy'. It may not be as fancy, but that doesn't mean they're any less of a lovely animal. I have a black moggy of my own, and he's adoreable.

Edit to add:

@ Briar - Okay, I know this is probably going to come off as harsh, but there's really no other way of putting it - If you (or anyone else) cannot afford an animal's vetinary care then you really shouldn't be owning an animal. If you are living with parents that *won't* (or, again, can't) pay to provide proper vetinary care then, again, you shouldn't be owning that animal. I don't *want* to be coming off as harsh here but if you (generic you here) really care what is best for the animal then sometimes that means aknowledging that having an animal at all isn't providing what's best for it.

Thank you TikiandiDragon and Seviper. The issue is my parents can afford it, and the dog became mine after my parents got him (long story about how he was constiantly with me and so by extension became my dog, I was in 4th grade at the time.) I know my parents have busy scheduales but were able to get the shar pei (more of my mom's dog) to the vet when we had a horrendous outbreak of fleas in the area and she turned out to be alergic.

I'm going to try one more time telling them to take him to the vet. If I could time off from school I would but I'm in another state with no car to get back (no car able to brave the mountain roads... dry.gif ). As it other than rabbits I am not aquiring any more pets, but the rabbits are my youngest sisters 4H project now and I'm more of running the rabbitry from afar.

Thanks again guys!

Thank you TikiandiDragon and Seviper. The issue is my parents can afford it, and the dog became mine after my parents got him (long story about how he was constiantly with me and so by extension became my dog, I was in 4th grade at the time.) I know my parents have busy scheduales but were able to get the shar pei (more of my mom's dog) to the vet when we had a horrendous outbreak of fleas in the area and she turned out to be alergic.

I'm going to try one more time telling them to take him to the vet. If I could time off from school I would but I'm in another state with no car to get back (no car able to brave the mountain roads... dry.gif ). As it other than rabbits I am not aquiring any more pets, but the rabbits are my youngest sisters 4H project now and I'm more of running the rabbitry from afar.

Thanks again guys!

Sorry if mine wasn't perhaps, the most helpful advice smile.gif I'm afraid I'm long out form under my parents wings, and ways of dealing with them when you live at home tend to slip from the memory.

Sorry if mine wasn't perhaps, the most helpful advice smile.gif I'm afraid I'm long out form under my parents wings, and ways of dealing with them when you live at home tend to slip from the memory.

Thats okay. It is one of the reasons that when he goes I am not going to push my parents into getting another dog. When we lost my sisters dog unexpectantly they got her another dog when she was ready because she needed a reasonable dog to walk (our shar-pei does not like other dogs immedeatly and is not a calm walking dog.) The dog we got for her has instead bonded with my younger sister and now my middle sister is working on training the sharpei to be a better walker since the new dog is very protective of my youngest sister and is hard to walk when she is around dry.gif .

Once I get out of the house and am able to afford a pet of my own I will be getting another dog, but not before, and I'll especailly wait until after my cat is gone because I will not be able to take him from my parents house (he's an indoor outdoor cat who refuses to learn how to use a litter box and taking him from his home territory would not be good.)

I've had quite a few pets myself.

When I was 6, my grandfather had captured two lizards in the garden and tamed them for me. I remember I had named them Iris and Papyrus. They ended up really familiar and even laid eggs. I freed the whole family about a year and a half later because we had to move to another country. For a few years, my grandparents received everyday the visit of very tame little lizards by the kitchen's window, it was adorable wink.gif

When we moved, we got a blue siamese fighting fish, a veiltail I named Bubulle (it's like the french equivalent of "Bubbles". Apparently, I was much more inspired when I gave my lizards their names than when I named my fish xd.png ). It was...well, a fish. When you like company, it's not the best pet to have, but my father is allergic to fur and feathers :<

This fish, though, was pretty amazing to me. It lived for extraodinarily long, five years .__. This species is supposed to live rougly two years... And no, It was never replaced without me noticing, because this fish had a distinct scar on its back and I would have noticed immediately.

And we also "shared" a cat with our neighbours. Actually, it was their cat, but she liked us a lot and pretty much lived in our house instead of living in theirs xd.png I was so sad when my neighbours moved I miss this cat so much sad.gif

When we got back to France, me and my mother forced my father to take on exams to tell wether he was still allergic to fur and feathers or not. Turns out he wasn't anymore tongue.gif . So we both fulfilled a long-wanted dream and got a male eastern rosella named Picasso. he got nicknamed Picou because he liked sonorities in "u" and kept singing everytime we adressed him as Picou instead of Picasso, it was to die from a cuteness overload. He really liked us and we quickly let him with an open cage so he could fly around in the house wherever he wanted because he didn't like being alone and always followed me and my mother around in the house. Unfortunately, after him being part of the family for two years... Well it's a sad story... My grandmother died and Picou was very stressed out when he felt that everybody was not feeling well. Suddently he flew out of his cage, escaped the house, landed in a neaby tree for a bit, sang a little and then flew away... He never came back... ;_;

Now I'm so lonely...I miss the presence of a bird and a cat so much...

And I...I'd better stop now.

Sorry, I could talk about animals for hours D:

you're fine, Safi. I've never been much for birds, but to hear you tell it they're soomething to behold. (Birds don't like me in most cases, and I'm afraid of them, thanks to a string of incidents since I was little.) Mebbe you should find you a good critter to spend some time with. ^-^

I love birds i have a quaker she is a little over a year old now full of attitude but is learning new things all the time shes my baby

I have a cat name Zipper and he loves to tear up toilet. Whether its on a rack or in the pack. He will find it and make it snow. He got into the bathroom closet and shreded up a 12 pack of toilet paper and when he left the bathroom he left a paper trail. Mom came home and saw the trail and followed it. She said it looked like someone had put a bomb in the pack of toilet paper and it exploded. She found Zipper lounging on the couch covered in toilet paper. She was mad at him at first but bursted out laughing. Dad had to change the door knobs on all the bathroom doors from the long knobs to the round knobs. I kid you not that cat can open a door in a heart beat. When he couldn't get to the toilet paper, he started tearing tissues. We have to keep the tissues in a drawer. No matter what that cat does we always laugh it off.

I've had quite a few pets. We used to have 4 parakeets, but the dog knocked over their cage when they were outside and they... flew away. I miss them though especially their 'singing'. We have 5 cats now 8 in the past year. We started with just one, a cute grey and white female, that my dad picked up off the highway. Then 2 litters later we found homes for 3 of her 4 kitties (all girls) and now that other one had her own litter of 3 with two males. My cats need fixed badly.

Fiona Apple's Heartbreakingly Beautiful Letter To Her Fans About Staying With Her Dying Dog

user posted image

On Friday, in a heartbreaking, handwritten letter addressed to "a few thousand friends I have not met yet," Fiona Apple announced that she is postponing the South American leg of her tour due to the ill-health of her beloved pit bull, Janet — a 13-year-old rescue dog suffering from Addison's disease and, more worryingly, a tumor on her chest.

<snip>

It's 6pm on Friday, and I'm writing to a few thousand friends I have not met yet. I'm writing to ask them to change our plans and meet a little while later.

Here's the thing.

I have a dog, Janet, and she's been ill for about 2 years now, as a tumor has been idling in her chest, growing ever so slowly. She's almost 14 years old now. I got her when she was 4 months old. I was 21 then — an adult, officially — and she was my kid.

She is a pitbull, and was found in Echo Park, with a rope around her neck, and bites all over her ears and face.

She was the one the dogfighters use to puff up the confidence of the contenders.

She's almost 14 and I've never seen her start a fight, or bite, or even growl, so I can understand why they chose her for that awful role. She's a pacifist.

Janet has been the most consistent relationship of my adult life, and that is just a fact. We've lived in numerous houses, and joined a few makeshift families, but it's always really been just the two of us.

She slept in bed with me, her head on the pillow, and she accepted my hysterical, tearful face into her chest, with her paws around me, every time I was heartbroken, or spirit-broken, or just lost, and as years went by, she let me take the role of her child, as I fell asleep, with her chin resting above my head.

She was under the piano when I wrote songs, barked any time I tried to record anything, and she was in the studio with me, all the time we recorded the last album.

The last time I came back from tour, she was spry as ever, and she's used to me being gone for a few weeks, every 6 or 7 years.

She has Addison's Disease, which makes it more dangerous for her to travel, since she needs regular injections of Cortisol, because she reacts to stress and excitement without the physiological tools which keep most of us from literally panicking to death.

Despite all this, she's effortlessly joyful & playful, and only stopped acting like a puppy about 3 years ago. She is my best friend, and my mother, and my daughter, my benefactor, and she's the one who taught me what love is.

I can't come to South America. Not now. When I got back from the last leg of the US tour, there was a big, big difference.

She doesn't even want to go for walks anymore.

I know that she's not sad about aging or dying. Animals have a survival instinct, but a sense of mortality and vanity, they do not. That's why they are so much more present than people.

But I know she is coming close to the time where she will stop being a dog, and start instead to be part of everything. She'll be in the wind, and in the soil, and the snow, and in me, wherever I go.

I just can't leave her now, please understand. If I go away again, I'm afraid she'll die and I won't have the honor of singing her to sleep, of escorting her out.

Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes just to decide what socks to wear to bed.

But this decision is instant.

These are the choices we make, which define us. I will not be the woman who puts her career ahead of love & friendship.

I am the woman who stays home, baking Tilapia for my dearest, oldest friend. And helps her be comfortable & comforted & safe & important.

Many of us these days, we dread the death of a loved one. It is the ugly truth of Life that keeps us feeling terrified & alone. I wish we could also appreciate the time that lies right beside the end of time. I know that I will feel the most overwhelming knowledge of her, and of her life and of my love for her, in the last moments.

I need to do my damnedest, to be there for that.

Because it will be the most beautiful, the most intense, the most enriching experience of life I've ever known.

When she dies.

So I am staying home, and I am listening to her snore and wheeze, and I am revelling in the swampiest, most awful breath that ever emanated from an angel. And I'm asking for your blessing.

I'll be seeing you.

Love,

Fiona

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/11/she-i...est-friend.html

I don't have very many pets but one of my most loved is my little betta Tiny Tim. Sure I have a 10 year fat calico that spends her night with me EVERY NIGHT! And a golden doodle who I love a sooo much, and two super weird goldfish.

But Tim...he holds a special place in my heart. So special that so far I've spent $100 on him alone...maybe more. He lives in a 3 gallon tank that has an awesome filter, a heater, lots of plants, and soon 2 ghost shrimp. He has an exercise mirrior that's attach to a plastic ball so I can put it in his water. Not only that but he has the best of three foods, flakes, pellets, and freeze dried blood worms. He even has a floating log.

His a cute little guy and he always sleeps over his heater when he goes to bed. Everytime I wake up I see him greet me by swimming through his log and to the front on his tank. He hates cameras as I've learned and he's a picky eater...he'll eat a pellet and spit it out then eat a different one...random much.

I'm actually trying to do a painting of him soon as well. All-in-all I love my Tim so much it's ridiculous. Here's an old pic of Tim when I just got him so he doesn't look as healthy as he does now.

https://i.imgur.com/vUQOT.jpg

Little troublemakers

My two new rescued guinea pigs. Only had them for two weeks, and don't really know that much about their past history, since they were dumped on on the rescue center's doorstep. Ron's the brindle further back, sitting with his foot stuck out, and Harry's the white looking like he's about to run and hide somewhere. Not obvious from the photo, but Harry's got red eyes.

They're both settling in well, and enjoying all the attention they're getting from me, although Harry does have a habit of worming his way under my jumper and then exploring!

Edited by Quoth

We've got three cats: two domestic shorthairs, Azuki and Arashi, and one Maine Coon, Hanabi.

They've got very unique personalities. Azuki is pretty much "love me", but is distinctly the omega of the household, Hanabi is rambunctious and the (mostly) indisputed head cat, and Arashi is... interesting.

If Arashi isn't happy about something, he generally meows at us until we follow him to whatever makes him unhappy. In the past, this has been food dishes (there's only like a quarter of a bowl left!), toys (play with me!), or bugs (hey, that moth is out of my reach and I want you to either kill it or get it to come down to me!).

But the funniest thing is that he brings things to us. They're all indoor cats, so they get little opportunity to hunt things.

...so he brings us whatever catches his fancy. We're immortalizing the things he brings us on a blog.

Arashi, the Delivery Cat

We've got three cats: two domestic shorthairs, Azuki and Arashi, and one Maine Coon, Hanabi.

They've got very unique personalities. Azuki is pretty much "love me", but is distinctly the omega of the household, Hanabi is rambunctious and the (mostly) indisputed head cat, and Arashi is... interesting.

If Arashi isn't happy about something, he generally meows at us until we follow him to whatever makes him unhappy. In the past, this has been food dishes (there's only like a quarter of a bowl left!), toys (play with me!), or bugs (hey, that moth is out of my reach and I want you to either kill it or get it to come down to me!).

But the funniest thing is that he brings things to us. They're all indoor cats, so they get little opportunity to hunt things.

...so he brings us whatever catches his fancy. We're immortalizing the things he brings us on a blog.

Arashi, the Delivery Cat

My Mother-in-law has a similar problem with one of hers, although hers does go out she just can't hunt to save her life. She's brought home paint rollers, socks, small cuddly toys, gardening gloves... at one point they had a box left in the driveway so that their neighbours could reclaim the stuff she was stealing.

As far as I've ever been able to tell that cat in question think it's providing for you the way it would provide for a kitten (incidently also why those that *do* hunt will leave 'presents' of dead mice). It becomes a lot more frustrating when they decide that, like a kitten, they need to teach you to hunt and start bringing live things to you so you can practise.

Our cat has recently decided that he needs to teach the *dog* to hunt, and has starting bringing live mice to the dog. This has been causing even more chaos than normal.

That's why I'm thankful he's an inside kitty. If he wants to bring us stuff, that's fine, as long as it isn't live things. It's rather cute!

In return, we play with him each time he does it.

It's actually amazing how much they can lift and carry! Paint rollers? Gardening gloves?