Qwackie

Cats

Than you wub.gif All three are rescues, Toshi came from a family who was going through a divorce, Paige was kept in a tiny cage and came to the shelter with a calcium deficiency from improper feeding, Joshua came from someone who was going off to college and handled him improperly meaning that he still has aggression problems. All are house rabbits, Joshua is free range in my room and Toshi and Paige have a x-pen. They are allowed roam of the the house during their out time smile.gif

D'aww, that's so sweet. I love that you rescued them- that's a very noble thing to do. wink.gif I rescue horses (and sometimes dogs), so I know it's very rewarding but can be stressful... even with rabbits, I suspect!

Edited by Dimar

Indeed it can be, especially in the first few dyas. Paige would not let us touch her because of how scared she was and Joshua needs to have everything the same or he becomes angry and scared. Normally if Joshua is out Toshi and Paige are in their x-pen, he'll go and sniff at them (much to their displeasure) last week they were upstairs and he started to breath very quickly and thumped. He then circled their x-pen repeatedly and ran away when I tried to touch him.

I don't have any pets personally, my family owns a Boxer puppy, three cats, and six chickens.

Four of the chickens are apparently very good 'pet' chickens - they "coo like doves and love human contact" as my mother says.

user posted image

*image edited to protect my sister's privacy

Well after seeing everyone's adorable pets, I thought I'd share a pic of my little guy. His name is Sheppard, or Shepp for short, and I just got him this weekend. wub.gif And before anyone asks he is not named after my nickname, but rather the person my nickname comes from. lol

user posted image

Edited by sheppardkid

Just in general, I love animals, I have a bearded dragon. I think pets are great, and have no problems with people owning them, IF!!! and only if they can care for them properly.

sheppardkid, your puppy is ADORABLE. What is he? Other than a big fluff, I mean. biggrin.gif

He is a Yorkie-Poo Pomeranian mix. His mom is a Pomeranian. Not only is he the runt of the litter, but he was a surprise since the owners thought all of the puppies had been delivered.

okay...guys. Why are all your pets so adorable? XD agh! Lemme see if I can find a good picture of my puppies back at home~

Edited by Dragnia_Zonatia

Here's a picture of my eclectus, he's unbearably cute. And he's an adult now so he'll be cute forever <3

user posted image

We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and we use to have a gold fish (R.I.P.). The dogs always follow my mom around, she calls them her shadows. smile.gif

I have a dog and a cat whom for the most part get along... sorta... At least the dog wants to, but the cat isn't thrilled with the idea. I used to keep Betta fish and I miss that. Might have to make a trip to the pet store here in the near future. In the mean time, these two keep me busy.

I personally only have 1 dog. He is a greyhound and so lovable. But now I live with my Aunt and she has a dog and three cats. Her dog is a pit bull and I don't know anything about cats so I couldn't even begin to tell you what species they are.

Poor Skotty. My fingers are crossed for you, but I also have a hug ready if you need it sad.gif

We have a new visitor. A friend of one of my BF's coworkers, needed a home for her 4 year old Tortie. She's not meant to be permanent, but I have a feeling she will be laugh.gif

Her name is Cleo, and although she's still nervous around our other three cats, she's a love bug. She chirps at me when I walk in the door and loves to give nose rubs and headbutts. Our fluffy cat, Ali, is in love with her (everyone is fixed) and our other two are interested, but not concerned. There has been some hissing and a little growling, mostly from Cleo, but everyone seems to get along. She's still getting used to our two dogs though, but still, there has been no swatting or hissy-fits.

My BF and Cleo:

user posted image

Note: We give our Maine Coon a "treat" (medical preventative) every morning.

I got up today and found only one cat, our marmalade tabby, in my bedroom. This is slightly uncommon (usually there are three cats on the bed/in the bedroom), but not worrisome. So I went through my morning routine, brushing teeth, etc. When I come out of the bathroom, I see the Maine Coon just lying there on the floor casually near where I give him the treat, just like "Hey, suuup, wasn't expecting to see you there! What a coincidence!"

Clearly he heard me brushing my teeth and was like "Oh, the human is up! Time for my treat!" But, being a cat, he wasn't going to be all sitting up and eager. No, that's for dogs! Cats lounge around and wait for their proper due.

So, I got one of my cats back from my parents' house. I'm extremely glad to have Skotty back. <3 However, he's not doing so well right now.

I guess it started when I got him back. I live in a house with 4 other cats (3 of which are my roommates.) After a while of having him back, I noticed he began to lose weight. Not so much so it was horrendous, but enough to be noticeable. I thought it was the stress of having to adjust to the other cats, one of which who would attack him (if not try) on a daily basis. I also thought it could be because the other cats come into our room and eat my cats' food.

He lost more weight gradually, and so I chalked it up to worms. My parents never bothered deworming them ever since we got them, so I fed him more, gave him more water, and eventually bought d-earth to put in all of my animals' food.

I don't know if the d-earth was too little too late, or just not enough, or if worms were never the problem anyway, because yesterday he pee'd in the corner. I went to go clean it, and at first thought it was bloody. I checked and made sure it wasn't; instead it was just dark orange in color. I looked it up, and a lot of people said it could be a urinary tract infection. I searched further into it, and looked Skotty over. His skin is yellow. I checked the whites of his eyes. Yellow, too. He's terribly jaundiced. I immediately knew it was either liver or kidney failure. I still don't know which it is at the moment, but both scare the hell out of me. What if he'd had a UTI this long and he stopped eating because of it? When had he stopped eating? I hadn't been watching him closely enough to know. How much damage has been done to his liver/kidneys? Is it part of his (unproven) thyroid problem he seems to have?

Yesterday, he was acting fine, just like he'd been acting ever since her was a kitten. Playful, picky, snoody... Now he's not moving much and sleeping a whole lot.

Needless to say, I'm going to the vet today. My boyfriend gets his paycheck and tomorrow we get our tax return and we will be able to have enough to pay for his vet bill. I'm just worried now if he'll pull through it or not. Skotty is a fighter and a tough cat, but I've never seen him look so rough. :'(

Very dark urine is a sign of dehydration in any animal. There's a good chance he's not drinking, or drinking very little. In a cat dehydration is relatively easy to check for - the gums will be pale, and if you pinch up the skin on the back of his neck it'll take a long time to return to it's normal position. Regardless if he's that dehydrated he needs to go to a vet immediately to be put on a drip.

W/regards the weight loss - cats are not like other animals. They will starve themselves to death. If they don't like the food (yes, a cat will refuse to eat something it doesn't like to the point of killing itself), and if they're being bullied so much they're frightened to eat. If he wasn't losing weight with your parents, but he started when he got to you, then it very unlikely to be worms (certainly not if he doesn't go outside in his new home). Chances are it's the bullying. You'll need to feed him in a room on his own, and somewhere he feels safe. If you've been used to free-feeding and you've got a bullying problem in a multi-cat household then the ones at the bottom of the pecking order may not be getting enough food (or any if the bullying is severe).

The peeing in a corner also leads me to suspect it's a problem with a dominant cat as dominant cats guard litter trays. A bullied cat will often resort to toileting in the only places it can find to feel safe, as the dominant cat will prevent it from using the litter tray.

I'd seriously suggest that your cat needs to have his litter tray and food in your room, and that he needs to be shut in there on his own when you aren't in the house with him. I've known cats that have had their personalities totally ruined by excessive bullying, and the only thing you can do is manage their interactions by keeping them seperate. It's often the best thing for the cats involved to either re-home the bully or the one that's copping the worst of the heat.

It sounds like he's in a bad way, and I'll keep my fingers really crossed for him. If he's got the the stage he's not moving much then he's very, very ill. And, yes, there is the possibility of long-term damage. Cats will hide illness for as long as they can, so it's pretty much always the case that once it's obvious, it's serious. If he's jaundiced, there's a good chance the liver has been damaged. Good luck, I'll be praying for him.

Well I have a normal sized schnauzer, he's quite the loyal dog. xd.png

Such a cutie-pie also. smile.gif

I wish to have more of these breeds, but no more room/money for another TTATT

Her dog is a pit bull and I don't know anything about cats so I couldn't even begin to tell you what species they are.

... Their species is a cat. If you mean *breed*, then with cats they're only a certain breed if they're purebred pedigrees. If it ain't a pedigree, it's just a moggy. Or Domestic Short/Long Hair.

You can't guess at what went into a cats genetic makeup when it's more than a generation removed from the pedigree lines.

I have three Yorkshire Terriers... I had four up until last week Friday.

Had to put my eldest dog down. I nearly destroyed me.

Oh boy whelp my list of animals is about 9 dogs? I think have to count again most of them are Toy Poodles. Two of them are puppies going to their new homes soon. One is a Standard Poodle and another is a Belgian Tervuren.

One Siamese cat now her mom got outside and disappeared on us.

Four Boar goats I like the two females the most because I had to hand raise the mom and the daughter looks like the goat from the superbowl doritos commercial. xd.png

and you may say that is a lot of dogs but if you glue all of the toy poodles together you get one Standard Poodle. xd.png

Edited by Shadowwolflegend

I've had hamsters, cats, dogs, fish, guinea pigs, birds, a rabbit.

I currently have 3 cats: Posy, Luna, Fergus.

My little guys are=

Evey my Sun Conure having fun on Webcamtoy biggrin.gif

user posted image

Rainbow lorikeet called Sheldon:

user posted image

2 cats, Layla and Cheeta:

user posted imageuser posted image

My stick insects Mulder and Scully (Scully is in the pic):

user posted image

and the bunny:

user posted image

smile.gif