wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a huge lineage snob, but I do love inbred lineages if there's a pattern. This Red is one of my favorite dragons. I also have this pair that I adore. Inbreeding can create some beautiful lineages, and I have just as much respect for well-done inbred lineages as I do clean lines, if not more, simply because of the breeding commitment it takes to create one (rather than just catching each new pair).

If I get an egg from the AP, look at the lineage, and notice that it's inbred, I'll most likely abandon it. (maybe unless if the lineage is really creative)

I don't know how many inbreeds I might have on my scroll, I just don't pay attention and don't care. Personally I wouldn't get rid of inbreeds, but neither would I try to make any.

Except that time when I derped and bred my blacks which were related. I haven't done anything with that pair for so long that I forgot they were related...

Depends, I do have a personal experiment on inbreeding, but otherwise I dislike it.

Unless they are seriously inbred or very nicely done.

Edited by EnderEcho

I'm not fussed about it- It's just pixels, and real animals inbreed sometimes. Incest with actual people icks me, though

I inbreed my dragons a lot, but not usually intentionally. I'm collecting the sprites, for the most part, and only really started bothering with lineages recently. I actually intentionally partnered my silver with his daughter, because that was the only female silver I owned. Currently, all four of my silvers are related to each other.

Inbreeding bothers me for kind of silly reasons. I feel like in reality it would negatively affect the dragon's health, so it makes me feel bad.

Inbreeding isn't always bad IRL. It can double up on genes, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Sometimes indifferent. Inbreeding can lock in good genes if done right. Indiscriminate inbreeding can cause harmful genes to be expressed. Example: breed two related healthy rats with good genes and long life you can end up with healthy long lived rats. Breed two unrelated rats that have a history of tumors and respiratory infections and the offspring could be more likely to die younger or get sick.

That said, I don't really mind inbred dragons, as long as the lineage is clean. I don't like messy lineages. I'm not likely to breed inbreds though.

I think it's the ick factor that makes me feel apprehensive towards inbreeding, even if they ARE pixels and the fact that I don't care much for lineages in the first place. It just feels... nasty.

It's funny, but I always thought that inbreeding just seemed 'wrong'. In the real world (dog and horse breeding come to mind) I guess it's quite common. For example there's this thoroughbred, recently sold at auction (you need a pdf viewer): http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Jan15/pdfs/406.pdf

Because inbreeding seems wrong to me, I try to avoid it. However, I may keep inbreds with nice looking lineages and be less concerned about inbreeding now that I know it's more common in the real world than I had realized.

I don't mind people inbreeding dragons, but I usually don't pick them up unless they are incuhatchable or hatchlings in the AP.

I used to breed randomly around when I joined DC first thus I do own inbred dragons, but I don't kill or release my dragons, so they stay where they are and just sit around doing nothing. ^^,

When I started playing I never really took a look at lineages of my not caveborn eggs and hatchlings, so I let them grow up on my scroll and loved them like my babies. wub.gif

I don't know how inbred my first dragons are, but I never inbreed my dragons (it did happen once, but ONLY once when I wasn't fully aware - one dragon appears twice by accident wacko.gif), I just think it's wrong. sad.gif I don't like it and I don't do it.

But I love all of my dragons regardless of lineage, I love them all equally. wub.gif

I don't breed inbred dragons and if I find one in the AP I put it back or give it away, but if they are gifted to me then I keep them no matter what. After all, we may be playing a game, but the sentiment behind a gift means a lot more to me.

I went with I don't care. (although I wonder if I should have done other, oh well)

I don't go out of my way to breed inbreds, but any of my or others inbreds will get raised and probably use to breed if I ever need them xd.png

Edited by Lady Dragoon

If an egg picked up from the AP is inbred, it gets kept anyways unless if I don't like the breed and I'm egglocked.

I will avoid intentional inbreeding (unless if that little Game of Thrones pet project gets off the ground), though.

Depends.

I will raise them ro adulthood and not breed them unless i have to, putting "In" in the name so I know.

Some I will freeze. Then for ap eggs it just depends on the egg.

I don't ever kill or bite them though.

Just like in nature an animal typically does not pick its aunt to breed with and such, unless maybe rodents o.O its more of a last chance thing in nature, since inbreeding can lead to genetic problems and stuff anyway my point is i let them grow making them somewhat fixed or i freeze them as adorable hatchlings where lineage matters not c:

I initially thought that it was silly to worry about inbreeding in our virtual dragons, but it bothers a lot of people, so I don't do it (deliberately...) or keep them on my scroll, if picked up in the AP.

And a recent accidental inbreeding just made me want to shoot myself - it was a gifted Holly to a friend...

I choose Other.

Some of my dragons are inbred, but oh well.

I either abandon or keep.

I have no idea what to do.

I don't really care about inbreeding in real life. It's a frequent occurrence in nature, and some species are even specialized in inbreeding. Plants, especially, tend to specialize in it and they lose the bad things that come with inbreeding, becoming very tolerant to it. In many SIM games, I inbreed without an issue.

However, continuing lineages is a huge deal for me. So are perfect lineages. So unless I made my own inbred lineage, I would never keep one, simply because I could not easily continue it. I suppose if there was a very stable inbred lineage project, I might get into it.

I do often freeze inbred dragons if I need them for my scroll completion or just like the breed sprite.

I'm not particularly a fan of inbreeding, so usually I prefer to toss them aside but whether or not I do it depends on the rarity and lineage of an egg.

In some cases, inbreeding can result in some interesting (and possibly hideous) lineages. happy.gif

Otherwise, if the lineage is messy, I prefer to freeze inbred dragons but in the case of the Pillow Dragon, sometimes I keep.

I'm fine with inbred lineages as long as they're not messy. A lot of the longer messy ones have some inbreeding and i'm not crazy about them (mostly because they're a mess). but sometimes people come up with really cool naming schemes for inbred lineages and I'm all for that.