wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DONT LIKE IN-BRED DRAGONS! A DRAGON IS A DRAGON, AND IT NEEDS AND DESERVES ALL THE LOVE REGULAR DRAGONS GET!!

Inbreeding dosn't really matter to me, I'll keep a dragon that i like and breed it with another dragon i like. Since inbreeding has no effect on them and mostly when I look at other's scrolls i don't look at lineages I tend to not pay attention to whether or not a dragon is inbred. Love the dragon, ignore the lineage is what I say. xd.png

Besides the personal repulsion/hatred for any type of inbreeding, I'm just not interested in them. If it's a rather hard-to-get breed, then I'll let it grow. But any others are likely to be frozen, gifted to someone who wants it, or just thrown back in the AP for someone else to catch.

I don't especially mind inbreds. I wouldn't abandon an egg because it's inbred, though I would try not to breed with it unless no other options are available. I definitely wouldn't inbreed on purpose, but if an already-inbred dragon gives me another inbred egg, it's not a big deal. I try to keep a list of which ones are inbred, and my naming system helps me keep track of how far back I need to read the lineage of the dragons I breed.

Edited by Stormphoenix42

I think purposely inbred lines are very pretty, though I wouldn’t do one myself since lineages are not too big a deal for me. I do pick up certain BSA dragons and label my adult inbred dragons like pinks or reds so I can tell not to breed them, but otherwise all my adult dragons are CB or, more rarely, some organized type of lineage. Generally if a dragon is not CB and not a super common I’ll throw it back to the AP for someone else. Although sometimes I’ll grab a messy stripe or hybrid parent for a project of mine, and as long as it’s fairly messy I’ll take it, inbred or not. As for super common hatchies, they can be any lineage and I’d take them and freeze them for my ever-growing army, so all hatchies are equal no matter what their heritage :3

I'm starting an inbred army, an army of inbred dragons with messy, ugly lineages. I sort of like trying to figure how how many repeats there are and what exactly "went wrong" in the lineage (ie, the lineages was non-inbred until someone bred a niece to and uncle, and then that dragon was bred to a half-sibling etc). It shows a different style of play that we don't normally see in the forum and chat, because everyone here is all about Lineages or CBs. But most players don't come to the forum and very often they have a different style of gameplay, which means their priorities are different when it comes to dragons, and you can see it in the lineages. I think that's interesting.

I wouldn't go looking for inbred dragons, nor would I breed one purposely. However, I don't really care that much. Lineages don't interest me. In fact, I find it fun to check out lineages to see what might be lurking way, way back in the past.

EDIT: I think deliberate inbreds are gorgeous, but I probably wouldn't do it myself - I feel mean about making a bunch of pixel dragons breed with their siblings/parents!

Ok, I take that back - for the first time ever, I just deliberately inbred two of my dragons xd.png The lineage produced was too gorgeous for me to resist - here it is. To be fair, the only two repeated dragons in the lineage are The Original Midas Dorkface and The Original Shallynaar - that's right, it's a double Dorkface! biggrin.gif

Since I'm just starting out on here, I don't really see the big deal of inbreeding. Currently none of my dragons (caveborn or otherwise) are inbred but I don't think I'd abandon one if it were. Maybe I'd freeze it. But I'd still keep it.

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DONT LIKE IN-BRED DRAGONS! A DRAGON IS A DRAGON, AND IT NEEDS AND DESERVES ALL THE LOVE REGULAR DRAGONS GET!!

Yeah, I feel like this I mean, I know they're just pixels, but it's just like the people who hate in-breeding, if I'm going to pretend I have dragons, I might as well pretend they have personalities and everything. I say, it's not the dragon's fault it was inbred. I'm not going to traumatize any dragon by making them breed with their family, but I'd let the inbred breed, probably keep those eggs since apparently no one else wants them, but I'd treat them the same as any other dragon in the clan.

I'm doing it to play pretend, I'm not really interested in legacy projects yet.

I'm not a big fan of inbreds. If I pick up a common egg from the AP and it's inbred, I toss it back. If I somehow get an inbred rare, I breed a few shinies off it and deadline it. If I accidentally inbreed my dragons, I usually deadline them.

I do this with messy lineages as well.

Edit: I may freeze inbred commons if I need the hatchling sprite.

Edited by Kiryu

I don't mind inbreds. I don't collect them or prefer them, but I won't abandon it if I get it as a hatchling. If it is an egg, I may keep it if it is super rare. (like, who would abandon an inbred Neglected? xd.png )

I personally love the inbred and messy dragons, I feel as though they have more personality to them. Like they are the underdogs, you know?

I'll try to avoid inbreds, but if I pick one up, I won't really give a hoot. Lol

Might make an inbred lineage.

1) Everyone can play this game however they like, and if you want to abandon or kill a dragon because of inbreeding, those are the guidelines you have set up for your own play. It was, however, a little sad to read a few of the comments here on this subject, as they might seem, however indirectly, to be passing judgement on the play of others.

(after rereading this, I noticed that while I don't think any of us would advocate the killing or sterilization of people who show or carry an undesirable trait, some admit to killing or freezing or abandoning a dragon simply because it is the product of inbreeding, no matter how far back or widely separated the duplication. I do not pass judgement here, I only just noticed it.)

Now I don't inbreed most of the time either. This is because I like to trade to collect as many different dragons as possible from many other people, and most other players don't like to trade for inbreds*. I also like to see how many different 2nd-gens I can collect from different people so that each lineage represents a collection of trading or gifting friends. But other than that, I don't have any problem with inbred dragons. Some of them are beautiful.

*After voting, I see that this statement is incorrect, however, my experience is that I have never been able to trade an inbred dragon

2) Inbreeding does not automatically ruin an animal. If you look at the pedigrees of some of the best race horses, you will see the same great sires and dams appearing more than once in their background. Personally, I would LOVE to put together a lineage with as many Dorkface ancestors as possible.

3) I raise show chickens and to set a specific trait to improve my line, I will breed offspring back to parents, which is the only way to set a trait and not introduce unknown genes. If I am developing a new variety, I will breed brothers to sisters in the F1 (first generation of offspring of the original parents) to the tune of about 100 chicks to increase my chances of the recessive genes I need coming together. I then breed together those who showed the trait I am trying to capture. Even if I am not breeding for anything new, I will breed only from within my own line for several generations to set and strengthen it. Only after it is well set or fertility begins to drop off (which takes a LONG time) will I introduce birds from another, but well-established line, and even then I will have to go back to breeding offspring to parents to remove any unwanted traits that show up unexpectedly from the outcrossing.

4) Inbreeding isn't inherently evil. It only increases the chances of unseen recessive genes coming together. This is only a bad thing if those genes are undesired. This doesn't happen so much in chickens because, lets face it, there is no societal taboo against killing chickens, either to eat them or because they were born with crooked beaks. So those undesirable recessive genes have mostly been eliminated from the gene pool. After decades of this, the chance that any other chickens are carrying those genes has been greatly reduced and inbreeding will not greatly increase the chance of those genes coming together.

With dogs, however, we try (for example) to fix those with genetic hip problems rather than killing them as pups (and I'm not advocating that we change that), but we CAN elect not to breed those parents again or that pup (though it still happens). However, because of this, undesirable genes are more prevalent in certain breeds of dogs than they are in poultry, and so inbreeding will increase the chances that the recessive genes that come together will be undesirable. That's the whole "throwback" thing.

With people, neither murder nor sterilization is an option (though this). This makes for a wider and more prevalent distribution of undesirable genes, and the more closely related a couple is, the greater the chance that both of them could be carrying the same undesirable recessive gene. This would have been the case for King Tut's genetic problems mentioned before, and the hemophilia in Tsesarevich Alexei. Had those affected with the diseases in previous generations been removed from the gene pool, the inbreeding in those royal lines wouldn't have been a problem it turned out to be.

With people, there is also the issue of the position of dominance one person hold over the other in the relationship, and the effect this unbalanced relationship would have on the lesser partner.

5) But DRAGONS? Our dragons are perfect! Nowhere in any of the descriptions is there any mention of a undesirable hereditary trait! (in fact, the only restrictions on breeding are the number of heads or size, but the number of limbs or wings makes no difference at all). So there is no chance that any form of inbreeding would ever harm their offspring as there are no undesirable traits to fear passing along. And I am sure their virility would never be diminished, even after hundreds of generations!

Edited by bantymom

^ That was an interesting read, bantymom.

As for inbred dragons, I hope none of the inbred haters ever get an offspring from my beauty (that I traded for): http://dragcave.net/lineage/xM4zr

I'd like to add this, too: For me, neat and pretty lineages matter more than messy lineages, so inbred-ness doesn't matter that much to me.

Edited by kiyoura

I typically avoid messy/inbred lineages for most dragon breeds, simply because I don't like the messiness. I really don't mind inbreeding but it usually is hand-in-hand with messiness. However, there are some very neat inbred lineages out there. And seeing as I collect Pillows, I really love finding inbred/messy ones in the AP because I feel like it gives them more of a personality. Basically it's the neatness that I like, inbreeding doesn't really matter to me.

I voted Other. Even though this poll is years old. laugh.gif

I don't collect them on my scroll but I've nothing against them either. I've seen some gorgeous lineages created with them. The one above is a wonderful example of that. smile.gif

I used to not care about inbreds. As BantyMom said, dragons don't have undesirable hereditary traits. Why worry? But then I realized that others don't like inbreeding, and wouldn't want my dragons if they were inbred, so I started caring about inbreeding. I try not to inbreed.

Except...

When I got my first split, it was a male. Then I picked up a female, and bred them together. The result was a female. This was back before the Influence BSA, so you got what you got.

I bred the new female back to the only male I had, the only dragon that would breed with her. Another female. Bred her back to the same male. That started a tradition. After that, I started getting other splits, male and female both, but the line was started.

This is what I ended up with. The last 2 gens on the right are cut off, but they started with just Wizics and Skatzy. Successive females were bred back to the original male. Successive males were bred back to the original female. Then, after 10 gens, the lines were crossed.

You might notice my icon is from that cross, which brought the 2 stairsteps together.

Then siblings were bred together, which created the waves.

I really like the pattern. Special inbreds aren't a problem for me, and if someone doesn't want one of those, that's just fine. If they do, I'll be happy to breed something for them. smile.gif

Edited by snave

When I joined DC I had fun collecting dragons and I didn't care about line ages.

I still don't, but noticing how many people are so crazy over inbred dragons and big line-ages is starting to influence me. And I don't like it.

If I, too, were to start obsessing over line-ages, that would just make things way more complicated for me and I'd probably go about getting rid of my first and only black.. dry.gif (Yeah, I'm still a noob) But when you don't care about line-ages, life's just so much happier in DC.

"Ooh, a black in the AP! It's my lucky day!"

Someone who didn't care would keep the egg and stay happy, but someone who did would abandon the egg and feel disappointed.

Just about half an hour ago I'd gotten a Red Dragon egg in the AP, and it's got a pretty big and messy line age. I want to keep it because of its BA but the line age is bothering me. I wish it wasn't, honestly! I'll try to keep it despite that.. But I really wish I'd never actually found out about line-ages in the first place. dry.gif

I feel similarly as Akatsuki, only that the caring about lineages did get to me and a while ago I wiped my scroll clean and started from scratch with the goal of a CB/lowest gen possible scroll.

I don't really care about inbreeding on a moral level, I've just experienced that most of it on this page is accidental inbreeding and leads to giant messy lineages which I'm not a fan of. However with all the posts about deliberate inbred lineages I'm starting to change my mind. They do look really pretty. Might even start one myself at some point. biggrin.gif

Even though inbred lineages are Gorgeous...I would never do it myself. There are other ways to make such lineages. In fact, any hatchling in my scroll that is inbred, I will freeze....for now. I prefere to start my lines clean, with no trace of inbred dragons. However, I do NOT have anything against people who DO inbred their dragons. I will respect their choice and what they do. The only exception that I will have is Cbet, my first hatchling.

But...that's just my opinion.

Edited by LightEyes

Personally I try to catch and breed what I and from what I have seen, others tend to enjoy which means no inbreeding. Now I will take an inbred dragon and use it as freezing fodder so that I can complete scroll goals or if I happened to have one on my scroll without realizing it I will tag it as -nb ... and in their descriptions I write a story about them being branded as not being worthy to be bred. Yes I understand this is harsh but this is what any breeder would do.. or rather, any responsible breeder in real life.

Of course I don't judge people who like messy and inbred lineages but I personally enjoy them to be clean!