wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't really pay much attention to lineages so it doesn't bother me. I've checked a few of my dragons with messy lineages for inbreeding but just out of curiosity. I don't think I have any inbred dragons but I wouldn't get rid of them if I did.

I do tend to check lineages and abandon if they're really messy. I feel like they clutter up my scroll and I hate sifting through them to find pairings with lineages I'd like. I don't really like freezing them either because I have to wait for them to hatch and egg space and they don't 'fit' with the rest of my scroll and and and...

I don't mind inbred dragons too much, and although I prefer non-inbred, I won't abandon dragons just because they're inbred.

Inbred or not, I keep it. (or give it to someone who wants that breed). I never kill it or abandon it, though. I think I'm going to try making an inbred lineage... That seems fun to me.

I keep it whatever it is. Poor thing. I see alot.png of inbreds, as I take only from the AP unless there is a new release.

I'll hang on to them and just not breed them (at least, not if they're messy). Heck, I don't breed my messies either, unless they're the only copy of that dragon on my scroll.

But then again, I don't mind inbreeding so far as pixels (and even fish - it's the only way we've been able to produce certain color strains of beta splendas, after all) are concerned. In fact, there's a string of inbred dragons on my scroll that do get bred constantly. Like this very purposely made 16th gen. laugh.gif

Click if inbreeding doesn't squick you out!

Mwahahahaha.

I dislike them. But i accidentally inbred a tinsel the other day. @.@ I felt so bad

I am working in my own lineages from CBs, so I generally toss back any non-rare lined dragon (unless the lineage is awesome, and I can continue it).

However, as an evolutionary entomologist, I have nothing against inbreeding. Reproductive isolation of a small population (inbreeding) can give rise to new species. Humans show evidence of a genetic bottleneck (where our species dropped to low enough numbers that we got fairly inbred), yet we are still okay. Some species even have 'intentional' inbreeding as part of their reproductive strategy. Our species isn't one of them, and extreme inbreeding can result in hidden recessive traits that have negative consequences coming out. However, some level of inbreeding is actually rather common in nature. In some insects, for example, brother-sister matings are the norm rather than the exception. So, depending on the species and the level of inbreeding, inbreeding may not have any negative consequences (and can have positive influences in some cases because GOOD traits can be set into the population). If you think about it that way, there's no reason to automatically assume inbreeding would be bad in dragons, especially when most 'inbred' dragons I've seen actually have a fairly low level of inbreeding.

All purebred animals are also inbred, as that's how purebreds are made. The breeding pool gets closed to outside breeds at some point, and then only a relatively small group of animals get bred together. The reason it tends to be more of a problem in domestic animals is that there's no natural selection. In a wild population with selection toward inbreeding, bad traits get completely eradicated from the population pretty quickly. In low-generation time species (or species with many offspring per individual), this is a very effective reproductive strategy. In species with a slower reproduction rate (such as humans and a lot of high profile animals like cheetahs as elephants), there are just not enough offspring for this type of inbreeding to work. If you consider that dragons can reproduce every few weeks, they actually have a very high reproductive rate. They would be perfect for selection toward inbreeding.

Of course, it's all a moot point, since they aren't real animals with negative traits to be passed on. wink.gif

Edited by harlequinraven

Well, depends. I'm working on an even gen inbred project. If I don't get the egg I want, I usually bite it with a vampire and chunk into the AP. With AP finds, it depends. Usually I bite them but, if they are low time, I like to hatch and freeze them.

If they're not for something important. Harle has an interesting point, and I largely agree, but I prefer to keep my lineages fairly clean.

I don't care if a dragon is inbred, and I have found a blusang lindwurm and another dragon was inbred. Today I found out that a red dragon egg had 400 DRAGONS IN IT'S LINEAGE THAT WERE INBRED. But the thing that was also crazy was that it was a Dorkwed (twued+dorkface) despite most dragons in its lineage not having Dorkface or Twued in their name. It had some Dorkfaces and Twueds in its lineage , and even a few Twueds and Shallyna'ar and Midas Dorkface appeared in the lineage twice. It was 34st gen. my scrollname is dragenwarriorprincess NOT dragonwarriorprincess , the e instead of an o in dragon is correct. the link to Lineage with 400 dragons is: http://dragcave.net/lineage/ho9us ohmy.gif so surprised since it's a Dorkwed im gonna breed it like there's no tomorrow.

Edited by fangarathevamp1

Depends on my mood, I remember one year I was hell bent on making the most inbred dragon just to be a jerky person laughing.

Currently I am heavy on the cave, but I will still breed the harder to gets.

I don't care if a dragon is inbred, and I have found a blusang lindwurm and another dragon was inbred. Today I found out that a red dragon egg  had 400 DRAGONS IN IT'S LINEAGE THAT WERE INBRED. But the thing that was also crazy was that it was a Dorkwed (twued+dorkface) despite most dragons in its lineage not having Dorkface or Twued in their name. It had some Dorkfaces and Twueds in its lineage , and even a few Twueds and Shallyna'ar and Midas Dorkface appeared in the lineage twice. It was 34st gen. my scrollname is dragenwarriorprincess NOT dragonwarriorprincess , the e instead of an o in dragon is correct. the link to Lineage with 400 dragons is: http://dragcave.net/lineage/ho9us  ohmy.gif so surprised since it's a Dorkwed im gonna breed it like there's no tomorrow.

Hah! 400? Mine totals 723 inbred dragons!

http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Inbred.php...=full&repeats=y

I've actually been rather inbred free up until this guy.

Hah! 400?  Mine totals 723 inbred dragons!

http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Inbred.php...=full&repeats=y

I've actually been rather inbred free up until this guy.

Please, sub-1000 figures are so yesterday.

Behold my 19647-inbred mint, which is the current holder of the record on the book of DC records (pending update).

Depends on my mood, I remember one year I was hell bent on making the most inbred dragon just to be a jerky person laughing.

Currently I am heavy on the cave, but I will still breed the harder to gets.

Tough luck then. You will have me to compete against if you decide to restart the project. laugh.gif

I try not to inbreed dragons. I won't kill an inbreed if I find one, though. I don't breed them, but I do let them gender and grow to adults. Yes, I know they're just pixels, but it isn't the pixel's fault they're inbred, so I don't think people should kill them.

I honestly don't pay attention to lineages at all unless someone asks me to breed something specific since I have an old scroll. Then it's a favor and I'll be more careful. To me they're just pixels and while it's fun to collect them, it's not that important to me.

I love 'em, once in a blue moon one of my friends is like "ew, I just realized this egg is inbred, do you want it" and I'm just like

Yes.

Yes I do.

I mean, I'm still trying to get my hugely inbred Carmine Wyvern lineage started (so far, no dice) so I mean. I love 'em. Tempted to draw up a mock sprite for inbred versions of all my fave dragons, because I honestly love genetics and how they can go really wrong in tiny populations. I mean heck, look at the Habsburg dynasty, now that was NEAT.

I don't like messy inbreds anymore than I like messy but "clean" dragons. I like purposely, nicely bred inbreds as much as I like well-bred "clean" dragons. Inbreeding can be really pretty, and it certainly is a very easy way to breed checkers. tongue.gif

They're just pixels so I don't think there's anything wrong with inbreeding them. I'm actually working on a sibling inbreeding project right now. The uniformity of the names/codes sometimes adds another pretty touch to some lines. smile.gif

I don't mind inbreds, the idea of killing them is a bit silly to me but I do consider freezing them.

If its something extremely inbred I always keep them just for the amusement factor.

Behold my 19647-inbred mint, which is the current holder of the record on the book of DC records (pending update).

I have mad respect for you.