wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I needed to make my first non-intro post somewhere, so it might as well be here. X3

I'm just starting out here on DC and I'm trying to get as many unique dragons as possible. So, seeing as the majority of my hatchlings will be (hopefully) growing into adults by tomorrow evening, I went browsing through the AP (since the normal cave was blocked) for any eggs that I'd put on my priority list.

I saw a white egg and tried to click it, but was too slow. "Oh well," I thought, "There will be another one."

Then I saw it again... with the same dragon ID. I thought it was a little odd, so I used the inbreeding checker and saw that it was, indeed, an inbred dragon. At first I wasn't going to take it, as I know a lot of people don't accept inbred eggs. This came across as a bad thing to me because:

-The inbred eggs would likely get shuffled around in the abandon pile for a long time and contribute to clutter.

-As silly as it may sound, I felt a little bad for it. What can I say, I'm a little overly-compassionate at times.

So I took the egg in without another thought. Will I breed it? Maybe, maybe not. I have plenty of time to think about it. All in all, I have no problem with inbred dragons and will probably just take them regardless from now on. If I do breed them, I'll do it carefully. Maybe with a pure dragon to try and put some space between the inbred generations and the purer ones. :3

It saddens me a little that if you played the game without the forum, you just would not know differently, as soon as you read into threads etc it can make you feel ashamed (or at least attempt to make you feel that way) because yours are not pretty etc. I love mine and will play the game as such. biggrin.gif

I choose other because to me it's an "it depends" thing.

Badly inbred ones I picked up from AP when I started I don't breed - and I think probably most people started with picking up things on AP when I joined, before the habitats, because getting things at drops was just frustrating - and I bred only CB or short lineages now, usually.

Having said that, I have a spiral Bronze Tinsel about to grow up that has the Hellfire female partner of a certain 1st gen, and by pure chance I found 9th and 10 gen tinsels fails of that on AP. As mine is 9th gen, one would be a perfect match now, the other for the next gen, with the first 4 gens identical.

Of course people who loath EVERYTHING inbred won't like that, but I think it might look pretty.

Plus, real life, it doesn't have to be 6th gens away from the last common ancestor, even 2nd cousins can marry in most places. Often first cousins even with a special waiver.

So I really don't see any problem with the kind of inbreeding I eventually will do. For my own amusement and people who share my view.

Though, any which way long sloppy lineages I don't care for, generally. As probably most people, I ignore them in reds and pinks, but if I breed those, it's only for personal use or someone who equally just doesn't care for anything but the BSA.

(Iside @ Sep 8 2011, 05:32 AM)

I tend to consider dragon inbreeding as for human people: it is bad to mate with your first grade cousin, but I see nothing bad in mating with someone who is also a descendant of your grand-grand-grand parent. On the contrary, it is common in aristochratic families.[/quote}

That's my view on inbreeding, too. A really long, messy lineage is bound to share a few dragons. That's what happens in the real world many many times. It's even the norm in royal families. My grandparents even have a common ancestor from the 1800's, but I'm not inbred. I have a few inbred on my scroll, but they are all long, messy lineages. However, I don't inbred because it generally lowers the value of traded dragons.

That's my view on inbreeding, too. A really long, messy lineage is bound to share a few dragons. That's what happens in the real world many many times. It's even the norm in royal families. My grandparents even have a common ancestor from the 1800's, but I'm not inbred. I have a few inbred on my scroll, but they are all long, messy lineages. However, I don't inbred because it generally lowers the value of traded dragons.

In regards to this, if the standards some people have on this forum - and sadly, actually pet breeders in real life - were applied to the humans race, I think we wouldn't exist.

I'm Japanese and Japan isn't only an island country, but for most of our history, people were strongly discouraged to leave the place of their birth, villages mostly, small towns at best, with only less then half a dozen places where people could really mix, at least in their own social class.

But in a village of, what, maybe several hundred? Or even a town ten times that size, simply by percentages, inbreeding had to incur. Even more so because families here, historically, tried to keep whatever little or large wealth they had managed to accumulate inside the family, so cousins marring was anything but unusual. (And a European friend told me that historically, it's much the same there.)

I guess by purebred standards, most humans would have to be considered disqualified for further breeding. tongue.gif

Edited by Toshimitsu

I don't like it when it's done apparently by accident, especially with shorter lineages.

But inbreeding with a purpose can be really cool.

I've inbred on accident, mostly just from lack of paying attention and remembering which dragons have which parents. I try to avoid inbreeding them now, but I don't care about the status of dragons that I pick up.

I don't have a problem with inbred dragons, though I find the thought of them disturbing. It would upset me to find out that my great-grandfather on my father's side was the same as the great-great-grandfather on my mother's side. Plus there's a very negative stigma associated with being inbred. Were these dragons real, would it bother them? Inbreeding can happen in nature, but it is only when necessity calls for it and even then it tends to be rare, until a certain limit of removal has been reached.

I can understand that breeding mistakes can happen, especially with messy lineages, though, but I can't understand what benefits can be gained from deliberate inbreeding, even though there are no drawbacks in the dragoncave system either.

A question I've been pondering, though, is this: is is possible for a dragon's lineage to become so long that some of the older ancestors drop out of memory and thus the line can become non-inbred after the inbred-causing generations are forgotten?

Edited by The Maiden

The two main reasons why I do not keep inbreds on my scroll:

1. Trade value. Unless it's a rare, I literally can't do anything with an inbred dragon. Also as a breeder, I can't use them in projects for the same reason, most people won't touch them.

2. I can appreciate a well-planned inbred project; in fact I've seen some truly impressive ones in the AP. But the vast majority are not intentional and so long, haphazard and, well, ugly that I just don't want it. I am extremely picky about lineages and naming and most inbreds (and quite a lot of non-inbreds) simply aren't up to my personal standards.

That said, I don't freeze or bite or kill or do anything else to inbred dragons. If I don't want it I just drop it back to the AP.

I can understand that breeding mistakes can happen, especially with messy lineages, though, but I can't understand what benefits can be gained from deliberate inbreeding, even though there are no drawbacks in the dragoncave system either.

A question I've been pondering, though, is this: is is possible for a dragon's lineage to become so long that some of the older ancestors drop out of memory and thus the line can become non-inbred after the inbred-causing generations are forgotten?

Well, some people inbreed because they plan on making lineages with them. (:For example, this is a wonderful inbred lineage. I plan on breeding an inbred staircase where all the names are protesting against inbreeding.

It is possible for the non-inbred generations to disappear, and at the Allure of Neglected Dragons on the Inbred Tracker page, there is an option to only check to see if the inbreeding is visible on the DC lineage page. ^^

The majority of my first 100 dragons or so are inbred and long-lineaged. I don't care about inbred dragons, really, though I do love pretty lineages. Nowadays I freeze inbreds/long lineages unless they're rare.

I don't care about inbreeding its just a game so its not like inbreeding your pets or family or something, and I don't worry about lineages most of the time, so It dosent bother me one bit, in fact most of my dragons have inbreed or are inbreed, it makes it easier to get the ones you want, instead of having to have 30 of the same dragon all CB just so you don't inbreed.

when i first started, i didn't know the difference and was just clicking the pretty eggs from the AP.

so recently i've been purging my scroll of inbreds. right now, i any inbred on my scroll doesn't get a name to prevent accidental inbreeding. mostly i've been killing them in an attempt to turn them Zombie; except my BSA's, which i'll probably either never bite/kill or atleast i wont until i get 20 non-inbred of each sex.

with my BSA inbred, i do breed them and send them off to the AP for a lucky grab by someone who hopefully needs them.

edit - realistically speaking, all of our Dragons are probably related by the unknown parents of all CB eggs. but as this is a game, and not reality; we assume all the CB eggs are from different dragons and therefor are unrelated.

in speaking of Humans and being disqualified for breeding standard when talkign about hobby pet breeding; lets not forget that the last major extinction to happen resulted in all but abotu 2,000 humans being killed off. so yes, on some level, all of us humans are related and are inbred (which might explain why society is so flippin nuts now a days)

Edited by Red2111

I try to avoid them to be honest, but I don't mind them that much (but it pretty much screws up the trade value).

What I do mind however, is how my only Bright Pink is inbred :/. There was a time when I was oblivious to inbreeding, and tended to pick up more eggs from hte AP than the cave itself.

Edited by Ashywolf

This little darling is called Felony Incest: http://dragcave.net/lineage/LXQWv

I probably have more lurking in my Scroll, but I never bothered to check... I do have over 200, it'd take waaaaay too long.

I don't much like inbreds because they have poor trade value and 90% of the time are messy as all hell anyway... I hate messy lineages way more than I hate inbreeding on here since they're just not aesthetically pleasing.

On the other hand, Saloiq posted a reason why it can also be awesome. This has to be one of my favourite lineages even though it is horrifically inbred... part of it's the name scheme, but whatever. xd.png It's awesome.

If the dragon has a nice lineage I don't care if it's inbred, except I want to trade the offspring or plan to do a "clean" lineage.

This was my first Stripe and I love him. I would never kill or release him into the wild.

My answer is: I don't care.

I don't mind if a dragon is inbred or not, if its lineage is messy or not, as long as it's the breed I currently need.

On the other hand, Saloiq posted a reason why it can also be awesome. This has to be one of my favourite lineages even though it is horrifically inbred... part of it's the name scheme, but whatever.  It's awesome.

This. There are some very nice lineages made of inbreds though and it's only pleasure to look at them c: It just reqires some imagination... and a lot of effort, sometimes.

I don't really mind having inbred dragons, but I do my best not to inbreed my own, or breed my inbreds.

This is my approach as well.

I will happily house inbreds on my scroll, but I don't breed them for gifting/abandoning/trading. Occasionally I've accidentally clicked the wrong partner and ended up with an inbred egg that I bred, but then I keep it.

My scroll's a mix of CB, lineaged, non-lineaged, short lineages, long lineages, inbred, and non-inbred, and I'm happy that way.

On balance, I have far more non-inbreds than inbreds though.

I love taking in inbreds, half because they're unwanted, half because they need a home. Basically the same reason. xd.png

I have a lot of inbreds on my scroll. I have a vine family, and a mint, and my ice dragons. I don't mind if any dragons are inbred or not, even though I scour my dragon's lineages for any inbreeding. If the dragons really are inbred, then I love them even more. (It's strange how you can fall in love with pixels...) I just like that I took in a dragon that has a unique lineage.

Being rather picky about lineages, I tend to avoid inbred dragons. Still, I do have a few exceptions on my scroll. Typically if it is a Vampire or has a BSA, I don't really care. If I'm going to breed it, though, I definitely want it to be clean.