wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keep it for show, if its a metallic or silver, otherwise release.

And even if i kept it i would not breed unless someone was looking for specific inbreds.

Alright, so I've been on Dragcave for some time now and I just now started coming to the boards to really take a personal interest in the Linage thing I've heard about, then I come across "Inbred" and all these nasty opinions. I'm not sure if I should be worried.

How do you TELL if it's inbred?

How do you find out?

Does it make a difference on how the dragon looks?

Does it breed differently?

What is inbredding exactly?

I'm just needing some clarification, if someone can give it to me.

Thanks

Edited by AyalaJade

Meh, I really don't care for inbred dragons, but if I happen to pick one up in the AP (which I have 2), I'll just let it grow up but I won't breed it. My one egg I recently grabbed, I was so excited to get it, but upon examining the lineage further (I just merely took a quick glance at it before), I noticed it was severely inbred (its mother is also its grandmother and so forth) dry.gif But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like the dragon(s) itself, I'm just not thrilled at the inbreeding that made it. Which in turn, whatever inbred dragons I happen to possess, won't get bred.

(Sorry if I made this sound like a rant ^^; Not intentional)

How do you TELL if it's inbred?

How do you find out?

Does it make a difference on how the dragon looks?

Does it breed differently?

What is inbredding exactly

Inbreeding is when a dragon is bred by pairing blood relatives together. So a sister and a brother, mother and son, father and daughter would all be pairings that would cause inbeeding. There are other combinations though as well and you can tell if an egg is inbred by simply looking through a dragon's lineage for repeating codes or repeating names.

There are also some fansites with helpful tools that will check for inbreeding for you.

Inbred checker

There's really no difference between inbred dragons and non inbred dragons either in appearance or how they breed. Some people just don't like them and because of that, inbreds are sometimes less valuable. There are others however who simply don't care since dragons are nothing more than pixels and codes.

Tbh I don't completely care about them, but then again I will be trying to at least replace Inbred dragons with CB or just clean ones. So I voted other cause I guess I don't want to completely get rid of them right away, but just slowly start replacing them. Even if I do catch an IB from the AP I do let it grow up too..

I dont care too much about if an egg in inbred...but I would like to have a clean-lineaged dragon for each inbred on my scroll

Bwahahaha!

They're fine, a handy way of making cool-looking lineages with a limited number of dragons. Unfortunately a lot of the time they're very messily lineaged, which is why I tend to prefer freezing long-lineaged/inbred dragons rather than CBs, to prevent furtherance of what I consider ugliness.

I typically don't care about them. However, if I can easily see it's inbred, I sometimes let it grow up, sometimes freeze it, or abandon it.

I don't see the point in getting worked up about it. They're virtual and it doesn't really make any sense to get that worked up about something that's not real. It's a dragon just keep the thing. Now, if you're obsessed with the game and care because you really think it matters then it's fine just drop it in ap or you can get rid of it at the inbreeding shelter. Either way, it's kind of stupid getting one and then releasing it just because you think it's too inbred to keep since it's virtual.

My opinion is that since there are no adverse side-effects, a dragon is a dragon. I love all of mine, no matter if they're common or rare, CB or inbred. If there was a chance of, say, mutations or increased chance of dying, then I'd stay away from it. And I know that they're just pixels, but it makes me sad when people outright kill innocent babies that others may want just because they don't like the lineage. If it's inbred and you don't want it, re-abandon! However, I don't mind when inbreds are frozen or used for making Vamp/Zombie/Neglected dragons.

I have a few (maybe 3?) inbred dragons, but they're unbreedable. Not because I turned them into Vampires, but because that's how I picked them up. When it comes to Vampires, I'll take anything (nothing to do with my username, honest). For other dragons however, I'm fairly fussy and usually re-abandon inbred eggs. I try to take care when breeding my dragons so they don't end up having messy lineages, inbreeding included.

Purposely inbred lineages however, look pretty amazing sometimes. I would love to start my own when I can find a awesome looking pair. Of course, they'll be staying on my scroll so none get killed, released or frozen.

Edited by VampiricOmen

I try to avoid inbreeding as much as possible and try to advise others against it (in my head, at least), but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. I'm not too picky about lineage and whatnot--if I get a dragon I like, then I'm gonna keep it, inbred or not. (Though I do sometimes check just for the sake of curiosity.)

I want to ask: do you consider avery inbreeding in the same way? I mean, an offsping of two siblings is inbred just as one who share a grand grand grand parent?

I tend to consider dragon inbreeding as for human people: it is bad to mate with your first grade cousin, but I see nothing bad in mating with someone who is also a descendant of your grand-grand-grand parent. On the contrary, it is common in aristochratic families.

Since I'm a breeder and a trader, an inbred will probably lessen the value of certain dragons, so I'm careful not to do it. If I want something bad enough and I'm not going to breed it or I plan on freezing it or doing something specific with it on my own scroll, it doesn't matter one way or the other. But for value reasons where it matters outside my scroll and possible trade value, you bet it does. That's just how the game works.

I want to ask: do you consider avery inbreeding in the same way? I mean, an offsping of two siblings is inbred just as one who share a grand grand grand parent?

I tend to consider dragon inbreeding as for human people: it is bad to mate with your first grade cousin, but I see nothing bad in mating with someone who is also a descendant of your grand-grand-grand parent. On the contrary, it is common in aristochratic families.

user posted image

Egyptian family tree. Yeaaaaah...

I had a look just one page of my scroll the other day and a fair few are inbred. This is mostly because I didn't know about lineages until recently or joined the forum until much later.

My personal opinion (and it is just that) is that inbreeding naturally happens in real life and this is just a game. The sprites look no different and they are just too gorgeous to pass up. I generally only put effort and care into lineages when it is really required to continue a certain line in a certain way, otherwise mine are all to stay smile.gif

I think the thing that agitates me a little is a lot hate inbreeding but will put that aside in the case of a rare dragon. I know these are valued and I suppose as harder to come across you take what you can get. But it saddens me that some have a double standard if that makes any sense?

I could never kill an inbred dragon and I usually keep them, but I don't breed them. I know some people kill inbred dragons and I don't want to get my babies killed if I abandon them.

But I would inbreed dragons I want to keep, like Reds as BSA dragons.

I keep all of my inbreds. I just picked one up from the AP that I plan to freeze since I don't have a s2 male of that species. Plus they are nice dragons on my scroll I took the time to catch/breed and raise them. And name them too. I didn't really think anything about lineages until a few months ago and I enjoy looking at pretty ones but I won't turn down a nice dragon because of it's parents. That's silly. I just might not breed it.

As far as trading, yes it brings down the value so I don't try to trade them off. I may gift one to somebody who only wants the BSA. I just make sure to tell them that they are messy/inbred.

I don't get the controlling attitude that makes people raise them to then release them.(1) The reason this is done, rather than AP-dropping them so that someone who wants them can have them, is because that person is trying to control how others play the game by removing inbreds from the dragon gene-pool.(2) Controlling how other people play the game should be a bigger no-no than having some pixels that draw a repetitive picture in the lineage page!

I have a number of inbreds, and I have too many dragons to do big mass-breeds these days. So, I breed the ones I want for myself, and then breed the inbred rares to toss out to the AP for people who might be trying to get their first, etc., or occasionally I trade them off as part of a bundle. I try not to breed the inbreds into my lineages, these days (apart from deliberate lines) just because it makes trading a bit more difficult.

I honestly don't get why there are so many people so het up about the matter. Can someone give a proper explanation that doesn't involve anthropomorphising dragons or referring to genetic problems that don't exist for dragons?

(1) In fact, I don't really get the release thing much at all.

(2) A minor exception in there for those who just didn't bother checking the lineage until it matured, I guess.

Edited by angelmischa

i dont inbreed but i have inbred on my scroll but they are all picked from the ap.

but more than inbreeding, i dont understand how people messily(?) breed dragons together. how hard is it to maintain a lineage =_="(i mean of course nothing like blackxgold 10th gen or anything, just even gen/spiral/stair)

I've accidently inbred a few dragons. sad.gif It was when I lost all the names of my dragons as I'd been inactive. I've picked up a few too, but generally I avoid them. I'm on a pretty lineage kick at the moment. unsure.gif

I'm okay with inbreeding when it is done intentionally as part of a lineage or personal project. However if it looks like the dragons were haphazardly smushed together, then I'll probably just freeze the hatchie or let it grow but never breed it. I'm actually working on an inbred nebula line for my scroll.

I picked up a Green Stripe Egg from the AP that has 264 instances of inbreeding! 112 dragons show up in the lineage more at least twice. And some appear as many as 8 times blink.gif

It is quite possibly the most intense example of inbreeding I've ever seen. I'm going to let it grow up and I'm naming it Derpy Wings laugh.gif

Here's the Inbred Checker link

That's my view on inbreeding, too. A really long, messy lineage is bound to share a few dragons. That's what happens in the real world many many times. It's even the norm in royal families. My grandparents even have a common ancestor from the 1800's, but I'm not inbred. I have a few inbred on my scroll, but they are all long, messy lineages. However, I don't inbred because it generally lowers the value of traded dragons.